TF: Dark Cybertron PT 12: P/Reviews, Spoilers, FINALE

Transformers is here! Discuss anything TF-related.

Moderators: ladywreck, tronprogram, bassbot, Ryall, JohnBarber, Cattleprod, CarlosG86

TF: Dark Cybertron PT 12: P/Reviews, Spoilers, FINALE

Postby Jazzfox » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:38 pm

It's always darkest before the dawn.

Part 12 of. Dark Cybertron hits our shelves tomorrow and now stamped in block capital letters the cover reads FINALE.

Who will be left standing when the dust settles?

Preview:
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... ew-179536/

Reviews: (Have a review you'd like to share? Send me a note and I'll edit it here into the first post!)
http://tformers.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=1494
Last edited by Jazzfox on Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jazzfox
Transforumer

Re: TF: Dark Cybertron PT 12: P/Reviews, Spoilers, FINALE

Postby Jazzfox » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:57 pm

Darkness Falls

Ample chance given to leave?

Well, read on if you wish, but from here on in, here be spoilers~

I'm of two minds reading this, one side reflecting back over Dark Cybertron as a whole, the other looking back over everything Transformers since DoOP. There's something about this book that just perfectly bookends the entire run of RiD and MTMTE here and encapsulates it, small moments, flashes all throughout that go back to the beginning from DoOP and I have to say, there's a little sentimentality of mine reading these pages.

A few years ago Transformers had a single main title, with the odd mini series made and an occasional spotlight series that had since whimpered away.

Now look at us just a few years later!

Two ongoing series, a returning classic series reaches it's 100th issue, a whole new set of Spotlights and next month a new mini series and possible third ongoing?

Did anyone seeing Transformers getting this size?

All while following the original story since Furman penned Infiltration? Sure there have been soft reboots, new starting points, but it is STILL the same universe.

I'm happy to be a Transformers fan at a time like this.

Nostalgia aside, Dark Cybertron has had its share of bad knocks, the original issues with the Necrotitan dragged on for a lot of us, but with the finale looming and the final issue upon us, everything reached a focal point where it burst into flames and took off with reckless abandon, and while it's not the way many of us would have hoped it would happen, it still certainly lived up nicely to a crossover in its final issues I think, and I'd rather it happen that way then the other way round of starting good and ending bad.

True, I'm not entirely satisfied with the resolution on Brainstorm and the other Dead Universe characters trying to explain what the hell happened that he gave birth to two Primes and a handful of other characters, but one Rodimus button-push later and we'll settle for funny rather than informative. I guess.

The heart of the issue boiled down to me for three players: Optimus, Megatron none Shockwave...

Shockwave's tied it all together back since Shadowplay, and everything for him now ties up, I'm sad and a little misty eyed I guess to it all, but I know I can see this being a decisive finale for more reasons than one, and Shockwave will be a big one I can see being controversial, but I'm happy his tale is now resolved.

And as one story ends, three new ones begin.

I'm not sure where the future lies, and I'm honestly a little nervous, coming to the end as everything now leaves off right where Dawn of the Autobots begins, I'm left a little bittersweet over everything.

I'm not without a few gripes and technicalities, but, gribble are there, overall, I've enjoyed reading Dark Cybertron and I hope the creative team can learn from this book for future endeavours about how to improve crossovers, so that maybe one day we can be here again reading this.

Enjoy everyone!
Jazzfox
Transforumer

Postby dtrip » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:10 am

It's up on Comixology ALREADY! 7:10am UK time...
MEET ME IN THE BASEMENT :: an online radio show, playing new and old indie rock type stuff. basically, great music and awkward periods of silence. Thursdays, 10pm UK time. YOU SHOULD LISTEN.
dtrip
Transforumer

Postby Va'al » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:23 am

Okay to print!
Va'al
Forum Zombie

Postby dtrip » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:50 am

Quick question to those with review/physical copies: do they also end on the "So.. are you ready to see what happens next?" bit?

The digital one does but then there's also no "end" or "continued in" boxes and it all feels a little abrupt, so I just want to make sure this isn't a Comixology error ;)
MEET ME IN THE BASEMENT :: an online radio show, playing new and old indie rock type stuff. basically, great music and awkward periods of silence. Thursdays, 10pm UK time. YOU SHOULD LISTEN.
dtrip
Transforumer

Postby Noise Maker » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:58 am

That took a good half hour this morning to read.

Blimey.

Good ending. Things have changed.

Every thing got wrapped up well in the issue. You can really see that both RID & MTMTE built up to this from the very beginning, and it's included nearly all the different writers contributions over the years somehow managing to thoroughly riff off the established continuity, and blend it all together in a way the really makes it all gel.

Dialogue was excellent, some really great character moments shining through all the action. And lots of action there is. Which leads to the art.. again nothing bad to say really, everything looked great, was really clear.
Ok. May have lied a bit. The very very end was a little abrupt for my liking. I think an open door with light pouring through may have helped me feel a little better.. but the sentiment was spot on.

An awesome end to a really great event.. Thanks to the team, and all who were involved in creating this!

I think a thorough re-read of everything from infiltration #0 is in order to fully appreciate Dark Cybertron, which I think I'll do once the IDW-Verse collection phase 2 volume 1 drops.
We want the finest wines known to man. We want them here, and we want them now. ~ withnail
Noise Maker
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby DanielW » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:16 am

What

What

What

????????
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby azraelklk » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:40 am

A New Approach. Was hoping for this, but wasn't sure they would go this route.

I enjoyed this. Screamer didn't get the big win like I had hoped but he is politician enough to spin everything to his best light without ever conflicting what actually happened. Rattrap is becoming an annoyance.

The series overall was a let down. It could have easily been 6 issues. With work it could have been 4. The final 2 issues were really good though. Not good enough to make up for the other 10 but good. The Brainstorm, Hell, the entire Spacebridge plot, seemed very forced and quite ridiculous.

I loved Prime and Megatron's final conversation to Shockwave.

Still got a lot of questions about the DU that is left, but they can wait until another time.

Anything I post may be printed.
azraelklk
Transforumer

Postby Thunderwing » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:46 am

I thought it was alright. I just sped-read it before I'm off to work. I'll probably read it more in-depth afterward.

I guess I was a little disappointed that Shockwave got "talked-down" after all that. And a good chunk of the ending felt just like setup for the new era.

Still, good dialogue throughout.
Thunderwing
Transforumer

Postby Noise Maker » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:42 am

Quick question: anyone have any idea what has happened to Bumblebee's half of the Matrix? It hasn't been mentioned throughout the whole of RID as far as Im aware..

Now that his body has been completely (probably) destroyed, I'd assume it too was destroyed along with it.. unless Megatron has it/given it/took it somehow (would he even know bumblebee had it in the first place? Or he put it somewhere for safe keeping?

Thoughts?
We want the finest wines known to man. We want them here, and we want them now. ~ withnail
Noise Maker
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Nook » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:36 am

Looks like we are really a doublespread short on Comixology version, that is dissapointing a lot :(
Nook
Forum Zombie

Postby Noise Maker » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:44 am

Bloody hell. Yes.. 21 pages only? Is this a balls up by comixology? If so when will they fix it?
Noise Maker
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Snake Pliskin-o-bot » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:14 am

Noise Maker wrote:Bloody hell. Yes.. 21 pages only? Is this a balls up by comixology? If so when will they fix it?

What's missing? Is there supposed to be something after Prime asks Megatron if he's ready for what comes next? I thought that ending so abruptly was odd, but maybe supposed to be the ultimate cliffhanger to get people psyched for the next stage of each book.
Snake Pliskin-o-bot
Transforumer

Postby Noise Maker » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:56 am

Snake Pliskin-o-bot wrote:
Noise Maker wrote:Bloody hell. Yes.. 21 pages only? Is this a balls up by comixology? If so when will they fix it?

What's missing? Is there supposed to be something after Prime asks Megatron if he's ready for what comes next? I thought that ending so abruptly was odd, but maybe supposed to be the ultimate cliffhanger to get people psyched for the next stage of each book.

After going through the 21 pages (left side, right side, left...) we seem to end on a right side page. Which makes me think we're missing the final page ( normally 22 pages not 21, right? ), which is usually a left side page inside the cover, leaving room for adverts etc.

I only get digital as nearest shop is 30 miles away, so I can't compare the two versions.
Noise Maker
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Jazzfox » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:11 am

Yes, there is a final page =0

Really weird when stuff like this happens, they're usually quite quick on it, best I can say is to e-mail them and let them know something is up, they should hopefully get the idea nice and quickly
Jazzfox
Transforumer

Next

Return to Transformers