Anyone picking up AOE Titan Comics?

Transformers is here! Discuss anything TF-related.

Moderators: ladywreck, tronprogram, bassbot, Ryall, JohnBarber, Cattleprod, CarlosG86

Anyone picking up AOE Titan Comics?

Postby ultramagnus1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:46 am

Yeah Titan are once again relaunches their monthly TF comic as an Age Of Extinction themed comic. It must be the 4th reboot or something since Titan started doing TF comics in 07 with the movie comics and some reprints like the two Beast Wars stories AHM (partly) and Megatron Origins.

I bought the first 40 or so issues before dropping it but am curious to pick this up. Its in a bag with free gifts as is customary for a comic aimed at children and sold in newsagents as opposed to IDW which is not sold here through traditional outlets. Just wondering if anyone here will pick it up and if so would it be recommended?

Simon Furman was involved early on and Geoff senior drew the very first Titan movie comic (that wasnt a direct prequel or adaptation to the movie) which was an Optimus Spotlight.

As I said Im curious on peoples opinions if they picked it up.
"They all float. And when you're down here with us, you'll float too" - Pennywise the clown
ultramagnus1
Transforumer

Re: Anyone picking up AOE Titan Comics?

Postby RackNRuin » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:17 am

It's actually Titan's fifth volume of TF comics.

V1: Runs for circa two years 2007-2009
V2: Runs for circa two years 2009-2011 (relaunched for ROTF)
V3: Runs for a mere FOUR issues in 2011 (relaunched for DOTM)
V4: Runs for nearly three years 2011-2014 (relaunched for "Transformers Prime")

During V4, sales tanked and the comic switched to a QUARTERLY schedule. What's more, it even dropped the comic strip itself leaving just puzzles, character profiles and other such stuff. It was in a poor state.

The AOE relaunch improves things - it's back to monthly, some nice free gifts (little figurine and an exclusive Topps trading card, plus something else I think...) and the UK exclusive strip is back (a 'prequel' story about Drift). Given IDW isn't giving us anything AOE related yet, this is your best chance if you need that fix.

Will I end up collecting it? Unlikely. Will it pick up some new readers? Hopefully.

I still think Titan missed a trick by not introducing a "Transformers Legends"-type comic to run alongside this. For those who don't know, in the UK we have a lot of "collectors editions" comics where each issue basically collects THREE US-sized issues of a particular character/comic. Titan now run FOUR Batman-related collectors editions and Panini (formerly Marvel UK) also run a host of Marvel-related ones. They're great value for money, and a good way of getting these stories to the casual public (sold in regular shops like WH Smith rather than comic stores alone).

It would've been easy to kick out a monthly comic which collects 1 issue of MTMTE, 1 issue of RID, and 1 of whichever supporting comic it wants to e.g. Windblade, RG1 etc.

It could've run alongside the comic which is aimed more at kids.

Ah, well, missed opportunities.
Some ideas to improve the comic: One: Drift needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two: whenever Drift's not in an issue, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Drift"?
RackNRuin
Forum Zombie

Postby ultramagnus1 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:58 am

Ive lost track at how many launches there have been. I read from 2007 to 2011. Collected about 40 issues as I said. Yeah no comic strip sounds like things really were bad. Some of us complained that we only got 8 pages of strip after having 11 in the beginning.

Hmmm sounds like I might just pick this up. I did enjoy the movie related stuff. In the early days we even had Unicron. Remember that?.
"They all float. And when you're down here with us, you'll float too" - Pennywise the clown
ultramagnus1
Transforumer

Postby Prime Nova » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:51 pm

I've got every single issue - I did win a years worth free in a comp too. But got my 3 free toys for 6 issue & need to renew at #9. But no issue out this month - 7 week cap between issues. #2 had great art but still only 8 pages.
Prime Nova
Forum Zombie

Postby ultramagnus1 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:25 am

Prime Nova wrote:I've got every single issue - I did win a years worth free in a comp too. But got my 3 free toys for 6 issue & need to renew at #9. But no issue out this month - 7 week cap between issues. #2 had great art but still only 8 pages.

Didnt pick up # 3 as I didnt like the premise for it but might get the next one.
ultramagnus1
Transforumer

Return to Transformers