Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 HC

Transformers is here! Discuss anything TF-related.

Moderators: ladywreck, tronprogram, bassbot, Ryall, JohnBarber, Cattleprod, CarlosG86

Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 HC

Postby predakwon7 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:38 pm

What most IDW comic fans have been asking for, a tease....

Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 [Hardcover]

Http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-IDW- ... ywords=Idw

Book Description
Publication Date: September 2, 2014
The war for Cybertron is over, but Bumblebee and his fellow Autobots struggle to maintain control of a world without Optimus Prime. The provisional government is struggling and Prowl will defend it against the Decepticons at seeminly all costs. Meanwhile, Hot Rod and a group of Autobots and Decepticons embark on an epic quest to the farthest reaches of the Universe. Collects the one-shot Death of Optimus Prime, More Than Meets The Eye issues #1-5, and Robots in Disguise issues #1-6.

Product Details
Hardcover: 272 pages
Publisher: IDW Publishing (September 2, 2014)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1631400401
ISBN-13: 978-1631400407
predakwon7
I'm kind of a big deal

Re: Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 1 HC

Postby Jazzfox » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:29 pm

Hallelujah! =D

That means that this covers all my favorite MTMTE story as well, the Delphi saga will be included just like it was originally intended to be for the first trade! What a thing to look forward to!
Jazzfox
Transforumer

Postby Noise Maker » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:59 am

I honestly hope that there is an error and Autocracy is eventually included as well, as its a very entertaining and essential part if the IDW-Verse. Also that it would be good to see Orion Pax getting the Matrix in the same collection as Optimus giving it up, would make a nice juxtaposition I feel. Not to mention the fact that the IDWVERSE is bigger than just MTMTE and RID.

I would hope that they also include the prose stories in this new IDW collection series too. Otherwise I'd feel hard pressed to call it the IDW Collection, if its not, yknow, collecting!

Still totally totally excited by this news.. finally!!
We want the finest wines known to man. We want them here, and we want them now. ~ withnail
Noise Maker
Forum Zombie

Postby GUIGUI » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:13 pm

I am copying/pasting it from my allspark post, but i might be the better place to ask, there. So:

Am I the only one wondering why the gap between an HC publication and the publication of the last tpb it made of is so big? I mean, look at it

HC #7:
Publication date: October 2012
Publication date of the last tpb it is made of: July 2011
gap: 1 Years & 3 months

HC #8:
Publication date: May 2013
Publication date of the last tpb it is made of: March 2012
gap: 1 Years & 2 months

HC Ph2#1:
Publication date: September 2014
Publication date of the last tpb it is made of: October 2012 (sort of: I took the publication date of the second tpb of MTMTE that goes from #4 to #8)
gap: 1 Years & 11 months!!!

Is there an actual reason for such a waiting time (commercial one, editorial one)? I understand the gap between the regular issues and the tpb for them to not compete with each other, but, unless I am wrong, people who collect tpb and those who collect HC are almost complete distinct market. One who collect tpb will usually not collect HC and vice versa. They will never compete wih each other: either you collect HC, or you collect tpb, buyers don't switch from one to an other. Am I mistaken there?

Plus, the gap between a tpb and the last issue it is made of is usually of 4 or 5 months. My logic might be broken there, but I would expect the gap between an HC and the last tpb it is made of to be shorter than that first gap, but it's the opposite that happens: it's bigger, always more than 1 year, much more.

This means that people who follow the series through HC are dephased of almost 2 years in regard to the current issues (and More than 2 years between Phase 2 Volume 1 and the first publication date of its last issues(RID#6)).

Is there a commercial logic behind that? Does the editorial organization of tpb is so much time consuming and hard to do? How much buffer is actually needed before setting for an official reading order (according to HC #1 to #3, even several years doesn't seem to be enough). Would money actually be lost if they were out early.

Is asking for 7 months gap between an HC and the last issues it is made of (therefore, 2 month gap between it and the last tpb it is made of) too much of a request? Am I being unreasonable there? Might it not actually increase the HC sale?
GUIGUI
Red Shirt

Postby RackNRuin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:31 am

GUIGUI wrote:Is there an actual reason for such a waiting time (commercial one, editorial one)? I understand the gap between the regular issues and the tpb for them to not compete with each other, but, unless I am wrong, people who collect tpb and those who collect HC are almost complete distinct market. One who collect tpb will usually not collect HC and vice versa. They will never compete wih each other: either you collect HC, or you collect tpb, buyers don't switch from one to an other. Am I mistaken there?

Actually - and I speak for myself - I prefer hardcovers. When no hardcover of MTMTE and RID were forthcoming, I brought (some of) the TPBs. Now I'll be selling them off for the hardcover versions. Maybe IDW realised that sales of TPBs were down because lots of people were waiting for the eventual IDW Collection releases, and they wanted to bolster the TPB market a bit...

Or/also, they were genuinely mulling over the best way to produce these, especially after the positive reaction both series (but esp. MTMTE) got from fans. Perhaps they wanted to slightly distance this material from what has gone before? Let's not ignore the near-constant posts (on this forum and others) of people saying "want to get into the comics, what's a good place to start?" - the answer is almost always "start with DoOp and then go on into RID and MTMTE" - perhaps these hardcovers are a way to catch that untapped market as well (without people saying "start at vol 9 on a series?!?!") - remember, the previous eight hardcover volumes aren't especially cheap to get hold of even at retail price. By doing a soft relaunch, this "Phase Two" series satisfies both older collectors (I'm willing to bet that, besides the slight title change, they'll look like they fit in nicely with the IDW Collections) and new ones (who have been advised, or only want to, get into the newer series).

All makes sense to me.
Some ideas to improve the comic: One: Drift needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two: whenever Drift's not in an issue, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Drift"?
RackNRuin
Forum Zombie

Postby Danforth » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:37 am

To add to what RackNRuin said:

GUIGUI wrote:Am I the only one wondering why the gap between an HC publication and the publication of the last tpb it made of is so big?

I wouldn't read too much into the publication pattern: the hardcovers took a while to catch up with the trades (and you have stuff like Drift in HC#4, published after anything in HC#5 and most of HC#6) so a pattern set by 7 and 8 can't be considered significant (IMHO).

I guess they had to nail down the suggested reading order (and to maximise sales of the regular trades to impatient fans ;) )

BTW, mods, is it worth merging this thread into the main HC one?
Obsessively makes Amazon lists of IDW TF books even though he's switched to singles, the weirdo
Trades part one and part two, plus compilations and hardcovers.
Danforth
Transforumer

Postby LoatheMe » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:07 pm

Wouldn't be the first time an early solicit for one of these had the details wrong so it could very well end up changing later.

I'm just glad the hardcovers will still be coming. Pleaseeeeee keep em coming.
LoatheMe
Red Shirt

Postby predakwon7 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:14 am

I'd assume the gap will be even longer, too. Even if this booked is listed for Sept on Amazon, there will probably be the typical 2-3 month delay........
predakwon7
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Neuronutter » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:08 am

Pretty cover now up on Amazon:

I like the change in style to get away from the previous collections, even if they are repeating characters used previously. Still, it's quite a striking image.
Neuronutter
Transforumer

Postby Sprite » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:16 am

Oooh, is that Sarah Stone's?
OK to print.
D&D/TMNT/MLP/X-Files modding, avatar tech support and shattered trousers repair.
Sprite
Transforumer

Postby Danforth » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:01 am

Oooh it's all shiny and different :)

I'd have been happy seeing the Su covers continue, but I guess his style wasn't really in step with the current comics. This looks, not the same, but compatible with Milne's work on MTMTE.
Obsessively makes Amazon lists of IDW TF books even though he's switched to singles, the weirdo
Danforth
Transforumer

Postby Noise Maker » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:25 am

I like the cover a lot.. makes sense to have Prime on the cover for volume 1, considering it starts with his death.

Still have reservations as to the collections ordering of the individual issues, and that they appear to only collect 12 issues so far, may feel flimsy and look weird compared to the previous collections. Still.. no chance that im gonna miss a single IDWverse collection hardback..roll on september. . And dont get delayed!
We want the finest wines known to man. We want them here, and we want them now. ~ withnail
Noise Maker
Forum Zombie

Postby zhgingaah » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:33 am

Sprite wrote:Oooh, is that Sarah Stone's?

It's bloody lovely, whoever did it - more of this kind of thing, please!
*All my nonsense tapped out here is okay to print*
zhgingaah
Transforumer

Postby Danforth » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:34 am

The only thing niggling me about it is "Phase Two" being under "Volume 1" instead of over it. That is not good information hierarchy ;)

Prime might be a bit of an odd choice for cover star as he's not in this volume much - but if it starts with DoOP and ends with RiD #6, then he'll bookend it. And hey, new jumping-on point. He's probably the most recognisable Transformer there is.
Danforth
Transforumer

Postby ultramagnus1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:54 am

Danforth wrote:The only thing niggling me about it is "Phase Two" being under "Volume 1" instead of over it. That is not good information hierarchy ;)

Prime might be a bit of an odd choice for cover star as he's not in this volume much - but if it starts with DoOP and ends with RiD #6, then he'll bookend it. And hey, new jumping-on point. He's probably the most recognisable Transformer there is.

Yep even non tf fans recognise the big guy :wink:
"They all float. And when you're down here with us, you'll float too" - Pennywise the clown
ultramagnus1
Transforumer

Next

Return to Transformers