anyone else bowing out of angel when it goes to dark horse?

Drop any comments about Joss Whedon's Angel, Spike or any of the related titles in this space, whether you have a soul or not.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

Postby angeliclestat » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:24 am

As Jean-Vic said....'It's Angel'. Yes I absolutely hated what happened in Season 8, but I love the character and the world too much to give up (although I have given it serious consideration!)

There have been plenty of times in the show where I wasn't happy with the direction - Pylea, Angel/Cordy romance(sorry Jean-Vic), the baby, Spike coming on board - but I grew to love and appreciate all of them in time (except Pylea, that still sucks).

So while the era of LA and Angel Investigations is over...Angel continues.

And I just have to be there for the ride.
angeliclestat
Transforumer

Postby pshand05 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:50 am

Bah, Pylea was awesome! I was skeptical at first, but I love that arc during rewatches.
pshand05
Transforumer

Postby Scott Tipton » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:23 am

Totally agree. One of my regrets is never getting to do a "return to Pylea" story.
Scott Tipton
Slayer

Postby angeliclestat » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:13 am

Really?

My problem with it at the time was the complete departure fromthe amazing Darla arc. What made it more annoying was the fact that it only came about because the production team hadn't booked Christian Kane or Julie Benz for the season finale, so they came up with Pylea.

Now in hindsight, since AtS can be seen as one long story, its not too bad- but at the time it was horrible. The only time apart from Buffy Season 8 I almost gave up on Angel.
angeliclestat
Transforumer

Postby Bill Williams » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:09 pm

I love the characters, so that's a plus. And Christos Gage writes the best superhero comic on the stands right now with his run on Avengers Academy. So, I'll give the new book a whirl.

But it is the end of an era with Angel leaving LA and shuttering the Angel Investigations office.
Bill Williams
Slayer

Postby Vampire in Rug » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:55 pm

I'll still be reading Angel's story. I love the character and I love his adventures. So I'm with the others who won't be bowing out just because the book is changing licenses. Whichever company logo is on the cover isn't going to affect how much I enjoy a story.

I totally get why some people are unhappy with Angel's storyline in season 8. I've got issues with it myself. And it's not like IDW has never disappointed me with some of their story lines.

But season 9 is going to be a new season with new stories. It was pretty silly that Angel was flying around in a mask being a villain in season 8, but I've got hope for season 9. By the sounds of it, Joss has learned from his mistakes and season 9 will be taking the Buffyverse back to its roots. And no, I don't think Angel will go back to being Buffy's little supporting character that only serves as a prop in her story. He's got his own title that will supposedly be able to be read independently of the Buffy title. He'll still be a lead character. This time around he'll be sharing the title with Faith though.
Vampire in Rug
Forum Zombie

Postby JSPoole » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:02 am

Vampire in Rug wrote:I'll still be reading Angel's story. I love the character and I love his adventures. So I'm with the others who won't be bowing out just because the book is changing licenses. Whichever company logo is on the cover isn't going to affect how much I enjoy a story.

I totally get why some people are unhappy with Angel's storyline in season 8. I've got issues with it myself. And it's not like IDW has never disappointed me with some of their story lines.

But season 9 is going to be a new season with new stories. It was pretty silly that Angel was flying around in a mask being a villain in season 8, but I've got hope for season 9. By the sounds of it, Joss has learned from his mistakes and season 9 will be taking the Buffyverse back to its roots. And no, I don't think Angel will go back to being Buffy's little supporting character that only serves as a prop in her story. He's got his own title that will supposedly be able to be read independently of the Buffy title. He'll still be a lead character. This time around he'll be sharing the title with Faith though.

thats the problem though rug

its not a changing of license, its taking the book away from spectacular creative teams who got the universe to people who basically took a dump on it

you shouldnt care about the logo changing, you should be concerned about what they have done with the characters already in my opinion.

I really tried to stick through it with buffy, too. I got all the tpbs up till maybe one or two trades back. It got too poor to continue reading. Its like x files, it was a great sh ow ffor years but once it lost mulder and scully and its focus, it was no longer recognisable as the series I loved.

But I hope you guys enjoy it at least, and if the feedback is strong enough I may give it another whirl. But the whole twighlight saga and how it was handled gives me enough of an indication (not to mention dark horse has never produced a worthy angel comic even when it did hold the license).
JSPoole
Slayer

Postby Bovy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:22 am

After giving the subject a little thought, i came up with a project that would have picked my interest, even if it's from DH:
Fray & Illyria or Fray vs Illyria.
A mini series completely self contained from Season 9, all you need to know is either the Fray arc from Buffy:S8, or Illyria:Haunted from IDW.
A world without magic shouldn't affect An Old One, or what? So the ending of S8 shouldn't bother Illyria.
Even so, then she can time travel, as in the last IDW Angel arc, and problem solved.
Bovy
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Lostsoul666 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:55 pm

I think that the real problem is that Joss doesn't understand why people like Buffy and Angel anymore.
I like Buffy and Angel for the characters and the way they evolved and develop.
Sure the shows have cool monsters but it's the characters that we really care about.
The Buffy Season 8 comic didn't have this. It felt more like Joss did whatever he wanted just for the sake of it since money was no longer an issue. Take Dawn as an example. Instead of developing Dawn Joss turned her into a giant. It certainly didn't make her more interesting of a character.
Things like Buffy and Angel having flying god sex don't make a story good. In fact the whole Twilight thing feels like bad fanfiction.
Season 8 stopped being about the characters and more about how much Joss can shock the fans. I think that Joss only made Angel Twilight to shock everyone.
I think that Joss needs to rewatch Buffy and Angel(heck I think that he should also read After the Fall as well)before he writes for these characters again.
I rather read a good non-canon story, then a bad canon story.
http://vampfox.deviantart.com/
Lostsoul666
Comic Book Guy

Postby raith » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:24 pm

Lostsoul666 wrote:I think that the real problem is that Joss doesn't understand why people like Buffy and Angel anymore.
Sure the shows have cool monsters but it's the characters that we really care about.
The Buffy Season 8 comic didn't have this. It felt more like Joss did whatever he wanted just for the sake of it since money was no longer an issue. Take Dawn as an example. Instead of developing Dawn Joss turned her into a giant. It certainly didn't make her more interesting of a character.
Things like Buffy and Angel having flying god sex don't make a story good. In fact the whole Twilight thing feels like bad fanfiction.
Season 8 stopped being about the characters and more about how much Joss can shock the fans. I think that Joss only made Angel Twilight to shock everyone.
I think that Joss needs to rewatch Buffy and Angel(heck I think that he should also read After the Fall as well)before he writes for these characters again.

And we have a winner ladies and gentlemen! That is exactly how I feel. Quick, somebody send that message to Joss Whedon, ASAP! I, along with some you, will read the first few issues, and then I will make my assesment. The moment I feel it's become too horrible to bear, I will write to Joss, and whoever is involved at DH. IDW, no matter how good or bad the story was for Angel, had always sustained the quality of his character. DH may have Joss's insight and resources, but time will tell if they implement the same amount of heart IDW has in creating a profound story that pleases us fans.
raith
Slayer

Postby Lostsoul666 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:22 am

raith wrote: but time will tell if they implement the same amount of heart IDW has in creating a profound story that pleases us fans.
Sadly I think that Buffy will get most of the attention, just as it always has. And Darkhorse will treat Angel as the step-brother that everyone just puts up with.
Lostsoul666
Comic Book Guy

Postby Double Dutchess » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:39 am

raith wrote:
Lostsoul666 wrote:I think that the real problem is that Joss doesn't understand why people like Buffy and Angel anymore.

And we have a winner ladies and gentlemen! That is exactly how I feel. Quick, somebody send that message to Joss Whedon, ASAP!

I think that message has already been sent, and understood. See Joss Whedon's letter at the back of the final S8 issue: "If you’ve read this issue, you’ve got a sense of where we’re heading for Season 9. Back, a bit, to the everyday trials that made Buffy more than a superhero. That made her us. I was so excited to finally have an unlimited budget that I wanted to make the book an epic, but I realized along the way that the things I loved the best were the things you loved the best: the peeps."

So, this makes me optimistic that there will be more to love in S9 than there was in S8.
Double Dutchess
Transforumer

Postby JSPoole » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:15 am

Lostsoul666 wrote:
raith wrote: but time will tell if they implement the same amount of heart IDW has in creating a profound story that pleases us fans.
Sadly I think that Buffy will get most of the attention, just as it always has. And Darkhorse will treat Angel as the step-brother that everyone just puts up with.

sadly I agree with everything you said in this and the last post.
JSPoole
Slayer

Postby Lostsoul666 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:19 am

Joss Whedon wrote:"If you’ve read this issue, you’ve got a sense of where we’re heading for Season 9. Back, a bit, to the everyday trials that made Buffy more than a superhero. That made her us. I was so excited to finally have an unlimited budget that I wanted to make the book an epic, but I realized along the way that the things I loved the best were the things you loved the best: the peeps."
I wish that I could say that this makes me feel better, but it doesn't. Joss should have realized this soon. At this point I don't think that we will ever get a good reason for why he made Angel Twilight. It certainty didn't make Angel more interesting of a character.
Lostsoul666
Comic Book Guy

Postby Double Dutchess » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Lostsoul666 wrote:
Joss Whedon wrote:"If you’ve read this issue, you’ve got a sense of where we’re heading for Season 9. Back, a bit, to the everyday trials that made Buffy more than a superhero. That made her us. I was so excited to finally have an unlimited budget that I wanted to make the book an epic, but I realized along the way that the things I loved the best were the things you loved the best: the peeps."
I wish that I could say that this makes me feel better, but it doesn't. Joss should have realized this soon. At this point I don't think that we will ever get a good reason for why he made Angel Twilight. It certainty didn't make Angel more interesting of a character.

Agreed. I do wish that Joss had realised this from the start instead of taking 40 issues to learn the lesson. And I can't imagine that anything in the upcoming Angel comics will ever make me appreciate Angel's turning into Twilight.

BTW -- completely agreed with your signature too.
Double Dutchess
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to Angel