IDW's Star Trek Plans for 2011

Trekkies, Trekkers, Trek-newbies, or just fans of "Free Enterprise," are all welcome here.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

IDW's Star Trek Plans for 2011

Postby Ro-Dan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:20 am

From TREKMOVIE.COM:

IDW promises more Star Trek for 2011

After “Star Trek: Khan Ruling in Hell #4″ (released next week), the two issues of “Star Trek Infestation” in February are IDW’s only confirmed Star Trek comics for 2011. The publisher has recently announced their solicitations for March 2011 and besides a trade paperback collection of last year’s “Star Trek: Captain’s Log”, there are no new Star Trek titles. That means that March 2011 will be the first month without any Star Trek comic titles since IDW started publishing Trek back in January 2007.

TrekMovie checked in with IDW’s Marketing Director Anna Maria White who assured us that regardless of there being no Trek titles in March, the company remains committed to Star Trek. In an email White stated:

IDW is not moving away from Star Trek. We’ve included it in our company-wide event, INFESTATION, and are working on some big things to start in the spring. There are several Star Trek books in the works.

White also confirmed that within the "several Star Trek books", IDW is planning comics in both the traditional "prime" Star Trek universe and the new movie universe. TrekMovie will continue to update on any new titles coming from IDW.

It has been awfully silent on the Trek front at IDW. Nice to hear some news that we'll be getting some new titles. I'm glad to hear there will be some books based on the new movie universe too.
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby DanielW » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:50 pm

I'd love another "Myriad Universe" story (the blanket "what if..." title for everything Trek).

Maybe "what if First Contact was actually the end of the Borg, how would this affect Voyager's journey home?"

After all, no Borg, no Seven of Nine. No Seven, no Astrometrics lab. No Astrometrics lab, no contact with the Prometheus. Also, there'd be no Transwarp corridor (or at least, noone to tell them about the Transwarp Corridor).
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby Liebkraft » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:03 am

another Myriad Universe would be cool, also with the third anthology out (the Andorian-themed story is defenitely the best!)

Maybe a short one concerning the fact that First Contact didn't happen or the Borg succeeded in assimilating Earth then....

Also it would be cool to see a miniseries about Earth just after the Vulcans made First Contact.... I envsison some kind to Mad Max meets ST here... would be cool

But my first choice would be some Reboot Universe Comics maybe with a Crossover of Reboot TOS and Prime TOS or - even better - give us some Reboot Mirror Universe and STO-Comics!!!! :D
'Play with friends, be a Hero!'
www.halle-der-helden.at (we do RPG)
Liebkraft
Forum Zombie

Postby Samy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:34 pm

Glad to hear that this is not the end.

Not interested in the Abramsverse so I'm doubly glad to hear explicit confirmation that there will be prime universe books in the future.
Samy
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Ro-Dan » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Samy wrote:Not interested in the Abramsverse so I'm doubly glad to hear explicit confirmation that there will be prime universe books in the future.
It's great that IDW will be showcasing both Universes in their titles. If anyone working for IDW is reading this, could you please give us a month or timeframe when some new Star Trek titles are expected to be released?
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby siphunclekaiju54 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:13 pm

Personally, I'm really looking forward to more New Universe comics, I loved Countdown (as well as the movie itself), and it's pretty open for new areas to explore :)
siphunclekaiju54
Red Shirt

Postby Ro-Dan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:07 pm

siphunclekaiju54 wrote:Personally, I'm really looking forward to more New Universe comics, I loved Countdown (as well as the movie itself), and it's pretty open for new areas to explore :)
Absolutely. I'm looking forward to seeing the aesthetics of the new Enterprise, bridge, phasers, characters, and uniforms on a comic book page. I know we've already seen that with the movie adaptation, but I'm talking new story content here.

As far as the original timeline is concerned, I'd like to see more Kirk and Spock adventures that occur during the movie era (post Star Trek V, pre Star Trek VI). So far we've had plenty of TOS-era books, but I'm ready for the red jacket uniforms of the movies to take prominence.
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby Viceroy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:13 pm

I'd like to see IDW have the 2009 era Trek crew face off against Q. Come to think of it, a one shot or limited series set in the Enterprise era where Capt. Archer faces Q would be nice. Since Q's a Cosmic Entity, he can appear in any Trek title or TV show. A missed chance was to have him show up in a Next Generation era film.
Q appearing on Enterprise would work. Remember in Encounter at Farpoint, he warned Capt. Picard that the human race has advanced too far in the Milky Way already. IDW can have a tale where Capt. Archer makes a case with Q to give humanity a chance to explore the Galaxy whereby Q gives Starfleet a grace period of 300 years and warns he will review human history.

Also, one thing Deep Space Nine never did (but should) was to have the DS( crew face a Borg cube. Given Sisko's own encounter with the Borg at Wolf 359, this would make a good mini series and a chance to really put the USS Defiant II (formerly the USS Sao Paulo) through its paces.
"Let us renew our faith and our hope. We have every right to dream heroic dreams!"
-President Ronald W. Reagan
"That's how an author should talk! How manly!"
-Michelle Cheung, R.O.D. The TV
Viceroy
Transforumer

Postby sulfur » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:26 am

Unfortunately, a couple of continuity problems with some of your suggestions:

1) Enterprise -> TNG is ~200 years.
2) The Sao Paulo was renamed the Defiant in the last episode of DS9, and by the end of the episode, the war was over, the crew split up, and Sisko... well... gone.

That and Sisko had grown well past the spectre of the Borg by the end of the series.
sulfur
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Matthias Russell » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:03 pm

They need to bring in some of the trek novel writers. The newer trek comics have had minimal/poor story. Khan had good art but little to read. The captain's log ones all seemed to have the same type of plot, just different protagonist and antagonist. IDW started strong with trek titles but has been lacking in creativity recently. If they want to encourage sales, they should improve their writing.
Matthias Russell
Red Shirt

Postby Viceroy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:24 pm

sulfur wrote:Unfortunately, a couple of continuity problems with some of your suggestions:

1) Enterprise -> TNG is ~200 years.
2) The Sao Paulo was renamed the Defiant in the last episode of DS9, and by the end of the episode, the war was over, the crew split up, and Sisko... well... gone.

That and Sisko had grown well past the spectre of the Borg by the end of the series.

LOL! Thanks for pointing the timeline error. 200 years it is, then. My mistake there.
As for DS9, pitting them against the Borg need not be set in present time. Ir can take place prior to the Dominion War. And Col. Kira is very capable, though the climax may wind up like Sacrifice of Angels where the Prophets intervene to nail the Borg.
As for the revised Star Trek crew of the 2009 film facing Q, it would be a cool scenario because for all we know the time shift may have been part of Q's games. Or, someone's starting a new Temporal Cold War.
As for Enterprise and Q. I favor it . Enterprise was the least appreciated series though it was way better than Voyager.
"Let us renew our faith and our hope. We have every right to dream heroic dreams!"
-President Ronald W. Reagan
"That's how an author should talk! How manly!"
-Michelle Cheung, R.O.D. The TV
Viceroy
Transforumer

Postby Matthias Russell » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:19 am

Why not just have the ST09 crew encounter Trelane? Same concept but more in line with TOS.

I would like to see TOS encounter the borg just because he is the only captain we've never seen face them. Would be nice to know how he would deal with them. We saw Sisko fight them in Typhon Pact 3. Since Guinan's home was destroyed by the Borg pre Generations, they could have Kirk and the A be involved in the incident just before the happenings of STVI.
Matthias Russell
Red Shirt

Postby Ro-Dan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:16 pm

Matthias Russell wrote:Why not just have the ST09 crew encounter Trelane? Same concept but more in line with TOS.

I would like to see TOS encounter the borg just because he is the only captain we've never seen face them. Would be nice to know how he would deal with them.
Hey, the ST09 crew is part of a whole new timeline, so anything can happen, right? 8)
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby el spoque » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:49 am

I think there are much beter characters than Trelane to use in a story with the ST09 crew. A lot more better characters than Trelane. Trelane was a child, with great powers, yes, but a child.
Not a big villain, if you ask me. 8)
el spoque
Private

Postby el spoque » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:36 am

ps :

I would like some more reprints of older ST comics, in IDW omnibusses. :wink:
I'm thinking : Marvel Star Trek Unlimited, DC ST:TNG and TOS Movie Era. But, I'm sorry to say, the Archives Series wasn't very well printed. :?

Any plans, IDW, for more reprints ?
Or did they sell that bad ?
el spoque
Private

Next

Return to Star Trek