Angel #42: Reviews,Reactions,Spoilers.

Drop any comments about Joss Whedon's Angel, Spike or any of the related titles in this space, whether you have a soul or not.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

Angel #42: Reviews,Reactions,Spoilers.

Postby angeliclestat » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:11 am

zamolxis at Slayalive found this preview courtesy of www.kittyspryde.com
Not very high quality, but readable

http://www.kittyspryde.com/?p=10301

angeliclestat
Transforumer

Postby Double Dutchess » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:56 am

Thanks for posting these! It's nice to see Elena Casagrande back on the main Angel title, though I'm very glad she did the Illyria one. Lots of references to that mini-series here. Illyria is still in "extra blue" mode and it seems like she got her time travelling abilities back, as I've seen suggested somewhere (apparently on another forum). The flower smell is also new (which is good!) -- is it also something she gained in the Deeper Well? Nice to see Darrow is alive; I thought he was dead. And there goes another cliffhanger!

ETA: "Pancakes"?! Funny, but doesn't make much sense for an inhuman monster. It must be a very free translation. I wonder if it's a coincidence that the first two letters are the same as the name of octopus Paul.
Double Dutchess
Transforumer

Postby Jean-Vic » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:34 am

I like what Illyria says about Angel here. Rings very true. "Your motives are always pure... but the results? Flawed would be too kind." Captures the tragic tale Angel weaves perfectly.
I'm so glad I'm an Asshole!
Jean-Vic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:38 am

Thanks for posting the preview.Looking forward to the new issue. :)
Last edited by Buffyversefantic on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby fluff » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:52 pm

This preview has me confused and amused at the same time. I am confused about Illyria saying that she will always be here, or there or then. Obviously the amusement is about Pancakes *is still giggling*.

Out tomorrow? O.O I was hoping it would be out on the same day with Illyria. Or is that out tomorrow too and I am out of loop? Because if Angel 42 is out tomorrow, then it can't have too many details on how Illyria is different, otherwise it spoils Illyria 4.
fluff
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Jean-Vic » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:35 pm

fluff wrote:I am confused about Illyria saying that she will always be here, or there or then.

Perhaps she timeslips but now has the ability to control them.

I wonder if Illyria is the one who tells Angel about the future, and makes him believe they lose.
Jean-Vic
Transforumer

Postby itsame » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I kinda always assumed that Illyria was immortal.

And yes, is this out tomorrow?

Does anyone know a good, reliable website to use for release dates?
itsame
Slayer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:20 pm

itsame wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I kinda always assumed that Illyria was immortal.

And yes, is this out tomorrow?

Does anyone know a good, reliable website to use for release dates?

Diamond Comics distribution has the release dates.It is out tomorrow.

http://www.previewsworld.com/public/shi ... leases.txt

And Spike #5 is out next week.

http://www.previewsworld.com/public/shi ... leases.txt
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby itsame » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:31 pm

Thanks, Buffyversefantic!
itsame
Slayer

Postby Shade of Pale » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:49 am

Thanks. Loving the artwork and the inclusion of the 'octopi.' Pancakes is the sort of name that Fred might choose.
Shade of Pale
Transforumer

Postby DanielW » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:12 am

dorotea wrote:
Jean-Vic wrote:I like what Illyria says about Angel here. Rings very true. "Your motives are always pure... but the results? Flawed would be too kind." Captures the tragic tale Angel weaves perfectly.

That she might - but from whence ? I mean... when did we go from Illyria the Hell god , destroyer of worlds who cannot coexist with human emotions in the same body - to Illyria-perfect-capturer-of-Angel's-tragic-tale-she-who-has-the-sense-of-morality-to-know when the results are flawed?? Does she even know how the pure motive is different from not pure one ? Did she get herself a soul and settled with it all of a sudden?

We've been speculating what the added blueness represents over in the Illyria thread. I reckon she's had Illyria's "soul" downloaded into her body. We know Vamps don't have souls, but what about other daemons? And more importantly, what about Primordeans? Illyria was a cruel bugger at the worst of times in the past, but millennia as a rock may have given "her" some perspective.
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby angeliclestat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:51 am

It's out this week?Brilliant! Can't wait to read
angeliclestat
Transforumer

Postby angeliclestat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:21 am

Here is a link to better quality previews:

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1102/15/idwfirsts.htm

angeliclestat
Transforumer

Postby Double Dutchess » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:47 am

Thanks, those new versions are a lot easier on the eyes.

I'm thinking to wait until next week to get Angel #42 (it will be kept apart for me at my comics shop anyway) so I can read Illyria #4 first. From the preview pages, I get the impression that's the better order. This plan has one flaw though: I probably won't be able to resist spoilers in the mean time :oops:
Double Dutchess
Transforumer

Postby angeliclestat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:58 am

I got my copy! (Bless you comic book guy who has started to put out comics a day early...bless you...)

I won't spoil too much, but will give a brief over view. ( So look away now Dutchess:))

SPOILERS

After the preview we have seen the middle part of the issue is taken up with Connor and the gang arriving at James' hideout.This turns out to be the same place that Angel and the gang fought the Thrall demon in 2.05 'Dear Boy' - I thought it was there last issue, but Gunn confirms it here. Nice little touch.

Also something I suspected the last 2 issues, but hoped was not the case; Anne has been impanted by James. She has a demon growing inside her and it's only a matter of time before it hatches. Poor Anne:(

The gang have been given guns (the same as Darrow gives Angel in the future), and she begs Connor to kill it before it hatches out of her. Gunn wants him to use his new 'demon dusting powers', but Connor doesn't know how they work.

They go down to James' hideout, and start to blast the red demons we have seen from the future. James is trying to open up portals all over earth so he can send his demon armies.

In the future Illyria is showing how much she has changed, not rushing headlong into battle. Darrow lets out a huge nugget of info - the Senior Partners are no longer involved in 'temporal manipulation'. Did they learn a lesson from the Fall?

The end of the comic is brilliant, and I won't spoil it, but it is an excellent twist and looks like our gang in the future, and the present, are all kinds of screwed.
angeliclestat
Transforumer

Next

Return to Angel