IDW Titles for May 2011

Transformers is here! Discuss anything TF-related.

Moderators: ladywreck, tronprogram, bassbot, Ryall, JohnBarber, Cattleprod, CarlosG86

Postby Focksbot » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:19 pm

Duo Maxwell wrote:I guess the better question to ask is would you rather have one good book with mini-series every know and them complementing it, or a potentially watered down story trying to fill material for twice (or more) the current page count?

But that's a question skewed in favour of the answer you prefer. I could just as well ask: would you rather have one poor book, or one poor book and one good one?
Didja know? I'm a poet, writer and publisher. I have a personal website, but I also publish anthologies and collaborative experiments through Sidekick Books.
Focksbot
Transforumer

Postby ultramagnus1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:22 pm

I dont think anyone should hate any author or artist. Everyone should be open minded and you mightnt like one work an author does but enjoy something else they do. If you dont read something just because its written by someone whose previous work u didnt like u wud b missing out. It would b ur loss and while we are on here praising it people will weigh in and criticise even though they havent read it but because it was written by a certain author. Take every work on its own merit. i hate narrow mindedness.

Give every work a chance. you never know u might surprise urself.

till all are one
ultramagnus1
Transforumer

Postby FDrowned » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:31 pm

I think multiple books work well. All Hail Megatron and Maximum Dinobots weren't trying to tell the same story. They were both set at different times, used different casts and told completely different stories.

I do love me some variety. I liked what was done with Ongoing, Bumblebee & Wreckers. There was something for everyone. Each could be read in isolation or as part of the overall narrative.

Same goes for G.I Joe, Origins and Cobra. Three ongoings set in the same universe, but each tells a completely different tale in a completely different way.
FDrowned
Transforumer

Postby ultramagnus1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:39 pm

yes i like multiple books as well. if i didnt i cudnt read the star wars novels as they appear from different eras of star wars. one might be old republic era and the next one be from the new jedi order era.

Having multiple story threads would keep things interesting and if one story isnt floating your boat you have the other story. Works for me fdrowned

Till all are one
ultramagnus1
Transforumer

Postby Duo Maxwell » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:26 pm

Focksbot wrote:
Duo Maxwell wrote:I guess the better question to ask is would you rather have one good book with mini-series every know and them complementing it, or a potentially watered down story trying to fill material for twice (or more) the current page count?

But that's a question skewed in favour of the answer you prefer. I could just as well ask: would you rather have one poor book, or one poor book and one good one?

You conveniently left out the second part of that quote, to skewer things in favour of what you, yourself, may prefer:

Sometimes less is more. I prefer quality over quantity but I won't say no to an increased quantity (within reasonable limits) if the quality can be maintained.

I've been buying Transformers comics, all of the singles and the trades, through the good and bad ever since the beginning of the Dreamwave run so I think I have at least some idea of what I'm talking about. I have certainly put my money where my mouth is.

Please, all I ask before receiving such comments is for people to actually read what I said. I clearly stated that I didn't think more TF books was necessarily a bad thing, but we've already had a taste of multiple books concurrently and the facts are there was a vocal group of people who slammed the ongoing and Bumblebee while heaping praise on Wreckers.

There have even been people in the past who weren't content with simply disliking a book but wishing that it would be cut short, despite the fact that there were people who enjoyed it.

The fact is, I will pick up any TF book which is directly related to the current continuity, particularly as I don't have a beef with any of the writers who have contributed thus far, nor am I a fanboy of any specific writer. So, yes, just like everybody else I am entitled to my opinion without being attacked for it.

I think multiple books work well. All Hail Megatron and Maximum Dinobots weren't trying to tell the same story. They were both set at different times, used different casts and told completely different stories.

Now that I could see being a good use of multiple books, telling stories at opposite ends of the spectrum. In my opinion, I think two ongoings with such objectives with minis telling side stories when appropriate should satiate the hunger for material while not over-saturating the market.

DecepticonsRule wrote:So to say that an event comprised of different series by these authors would be doomed because people have a hatred towards the person writing it is pretty narrow minded.

That's not the point I was trying to make. Not exactly, anyway. The story itself wouldn't be doomed as we have had promises post-AHM that there would be consistency but if the economic model doesn't support such an expansion, why would IDW even consider such a project?

Sure, IDW might be inclined to start multiple intertwining ongoing books but if there really are enough people who see a certain name on the cover and turn their noses up on that fact alone, then those titles would unfortunately fail.

ultramagnus1 wrote:some people will only read simon furmans work while others like me will read everyone. Quality is better then quantity as you say but its difficult to keep the standard sky high. Thats the same with most franchises.

I agree with that assessment. I think, in a way, the -ations had a good model with a rest between arcs, but to actually stop the book between arcs didn't do any favours for the momentum of the series. What would have been better would be to rotate the writers per arc so there isn't any type of burnout, particularly when Costa also writes at least one (maybe two?) of the G.I. Joe ongoings as well.

Therefore, so long as each writing team involved was up to date with the overall outline of the story being told, they could be switched in an out every six or so issues to keep the writing fresh.
The preceding post is OK to print.
Duo Maxwell
Transforumer

Postby TheLegendaryAntiHero » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:17 pm

FDrowned wrote:I think multiple books work well. All Hail Megatron and Maximum Dinobots weren't trying to tell the same story. They were both set at different times, used different casts and told completely different stories.

I do love me some variety. I liked what was done with Ongoing, Bumblebee & Wreckers. There was something for everyone. Each could be read in isolation or as part of the overall narrative.

Same goes for G.I Joe, Origins and Cobra. Three ongoings set in the same universe, but each tells a completely different tale in a completely different way.

Much agreed. When Dreamwave was still in buisness, it was publishing War Withing, the ongoing, the GI Joe crossover and Micromasters all at the same time. I don't care if I knew Optimus and Megatron were going to make it out alive at the end of War Within, I wanted it to continue. Kind of like how I want Justice League Unlimited to continue even though I knew Bruce Wayne was never going to die and alive on in Batman Beyond.
Print me! Print me! Print me!
TheLegendaryAntiHero
Transforumer

Postby FDrowned » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:11 am

TheLegendaryAntiHero wrote:
FDrowned wrote:I think multiple books work well. All Hail Megatron and Maximum Dinobots weren't trying to tell the same story. They were both set at different times, used different casts and told completely different stories.

Much agreed. When Dreamwave was still in buisness, it was publishing War Withing, the ongoing, the GI Joe crossover and Micromasters all at the same time. I don't care if I knew Optimus and Megatron were going to make it out alive at the end of War Within, I wanted it to continue. Kind of like how I want Justice League Unlimited to continue even though I knew Bruce Wayne was never going to die and alive on in Batman Beyond.

I'd definitely be up for 2 Ongoings. One set during the early years of the war and another set during the present day.

Ideally War Within should have been an Ongoing from day one.
FDrowned
Transforumer

Postby colky7 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:48 am

Duo Maxwell wrote:I've been buying Transformers comics, all of the singles and the trades, through the good and bad ever since the beginning of the Dreamwave run so I think I have at least some idea of what I'm talking about. I have certainly put my money where my mouth is.

Please, all I ask before receiving such comments is for people to actually read what I said. I clearly stated that I didn't think more TF books was necessarily a bad thing, but we've already had a taste of multiple books concurrently and the facts are there was a vocal group of people who slammed the ongoing and Bumblebee while heaping praise on Wreckers..

Fair play to you for having stuck with it. I'd bought every G1 Tf comic since the early days of Marvel UK but was so unhappy with the books during AHM that i dropped them as i didn't want to give my money for something i didn't enjoy. I tried to come back with ongoing but again found i didn't want to give my money for something i didn't enjoy. On the whole I've bought and enjoyed the minis though. It was actually a big decision to drop these books though as i'd never done this to a TF comic before but thought the only way i could express my dissatisfaction was to not give my money for them, after all this is a business and the bottom line is whats gonna make IDW change things.

At the same time though i try not to be overly pushy for the ones i so dislike to be dropped cos i know others are enjoying them which is cool. I really like the idea of a second ongoing as it would give more options and allow each individual to choose the title they prefer (hopefully at least) whilst not worrying about another title if you're not into it.
colky7
Transforumer

Postby RackNRuin » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:03 am

I've just started a new thread with my thoughts on a potential new ongoing. I think there's an opportunity, but I'd favour a "Legends of the Dark Knight"-type approach to it.
Some ideas to improve the comic: One: Drift needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two: whenever Drift's not in an issue, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Drift"?
RackNRuin
Forum Zombie

Postby Sprite » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:07 am

Wait, so it's gonna be about Drift? :P
OK to print.
D&D/TMNT/MLP/X-Files modding, avatar tech support and shattered trousers repair.
Sprite
Transforumer

Postby TheLegendaryAntiHero » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:12 pm

I would like another Drift series. He could be, dare I say it, the character who can fill Optimus' shoes. Martial artist type characters are always popular. Look at Jackie Chan in Jackie Chan Adventures, he was popular and his Rush Hour movies sold millions.
Print me! Print me! Print me!
TheLegendaryAntiHero
Transforumer

Postby zhgingaah » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:55 am

TheLegendaryAntiHero wrote:I would like another Drift series. He could be, dare I say it, the character who can fill Optimus' shoes. Martial artist type characters are always popular. Look at Jackie Chan in Jackie Chan Adventures, he was popular and his Rush Hour movies sold millions.

Anyone seen that shark lately? I think we just jumped it...
*All my nonsense tapped out here is okay to print*
zhgingaah
Transforumer

Previous

Return to Transformers