Spike #2: Reviews, Reactions, Spoilers.

Drop any comments about Joss Whedon's Angel, Spike or any of the related titles in this space, whether you have a soul or not.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

Spike #2: Reviews, Reactions, Spoilers.

Postby bitsyfest » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:58 am

Don't have a life on a Saturday? Well then, we have something in common. Not to worry, you are about to be rewarded with a five page preview of Spike #2. Keep an eye on this space and the link will soon be revealed.

UPDATE: Here it is!

http://buffyfest.blogspot.com/2010/11/spike-2-exclusive-preview-pages.html

*Please note that these preview pages are not final images. Edits will be made for the actual release.
bitsyfest
Slayer

Postby Shade of Pale » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:25 am

Thanks, bitsyfest. Is this out next week then ? Hope so !
Shade of Pale
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:29 am

Preview looks good. :)

Beck's comments about a terrible pro vampire reality show immediately made me think of Harmony's reality show introduced in Buffy Season 8 #21.But this is taking place before that,isn't it?This is taking place before season 8 and Angel becoming Twilight.

I think Illyria #1 is also out on Wed. too.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Double Dutchess » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:40 am

Thank you bitsy! Those preview pages look gorgeous. Bad fish jokes are funny!

Shade of Pale, I assumed the issue would be out in two weeks. If it's next week already, that would be a nice surprise.

Buffyversefantic, I also thought that Beck was referring to Harmony's reality show. Wasn't that what first started the general pro-vampire / anti-Slayer sentiment? Besides Beck's remark, the whole concept of the Cirque du No Slay as well as the audience's reaction suggest that the comic takes place well after that. I guess IDW and DH just didn't manage to perfectly align the two time lines...
Last edited by Double Dutchess on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Double Dutchess
Transforumer

Postby bitsyfest » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:40 am

Buffyversefantic wrote:Preview looks good. :)

Beck's comments about a terrible pro vampire reality show immediately made me think of Harmony's reality show introduced in Buffy Season 8 #21.But this is taking place before that,isn't it?This is taking place before season 8 and Angel becoming Twilight.

Yes, Illyria is also coming out this Wednesday. We've got some art progression to show and a whole lot more starting tomorrow.
bitsyfest
Slayer

Postby Double Dutchess » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:51 am

So both are coming out on Wednesday? That's good news! Not only will I get Spike #2 sooner than expected, it also means that my trip to the comics shop will more efficient than usual (picking up 2 comics at a time instead of just one).

By the way, from the cover image provided I gather that Frison's cover will be the regular one this time, and the Urru cover the incentive? I don't like that, because I MUCH prefer the Urru cover. (And sadly it looks like for #4 I'll be having the same problem, except with the cover artists reversed. Oh well, I'm sure what's inside will make up for it.)
Double Dutchess
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:54 am

Buffyversefantic, I also thought that Beck was referring to Harmony's reality show. Wasn't that what first started the general pro-vampire / anti-Slayer sentiment? Besides Beck's remark, the whole concept of the Cirque du No Slay as well as the audience's reaction suggest that the comic takes place well after that. I guess IDW and DH just didn't manage to perfectly align the two time lines...

I thought that was when the general pro-vampire / anti-Slayer sentiment started as well.Could be a continuity goof or maybe the sentiments were already there before the start of season 8 but they were just made worse by Harmony,some of the slayer's action and Twilight's forces.When did Buffy rob that bank?Had to be before the start of season 8 since she already had the slayers set up with gadgets and a castle in Buffy Season 8 #1.Twilight already had something to work with before Buffy #21.Things just got more amplified on that front by mid season 8.Maybe there was another pro vampire reality show before Harmony's and the producers of her show got the idea from there?That's just speculation though.Again,could just be a continuity goof.

bitsyfest wrote:
Buffyversefantic wrote:Preview looks good. :)

Yes, Illyria is also coming out this Wednesday. We've got some art progression to show and a whole lot more starting tomorrow.

very cool. :)

Nice to have both issues next week.. :)

Then we got Angel #39 later in the month. :) [/quote]
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Veiriti » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:40 am

Thanks, Bitsy! :D The preview pages are awesome and the Franco Urru's art is incredible brilliant!!!! :D :D Especially in these scenes into the hotel room and Spike looking thru the window! As I've said a million times Urru is my favorite artist and no one can compare with him! :D
So both are coming out on Wednesday? That's good news!

Yep, I'm going to get them at once too, but after a week of their release date
:(
And my Spike will be with Frison's cover, just like you, DD, I do prefer Urru's cover, but my ebay comics seller has no Urru's cover... :(
And that about the pro-vampire / anti-Slayer sentiment is very interesting... I wonder who is behind this show? Drusilla, Harmony?! Maybe Wolfram & Hart have something to do with all Twilight story?! What if they try to initiate the birth of the New Universe/Dimension? On Angel show, especially in season 5 The Senior Partners appear like a big black cat... hummm - the Kitty Twilight maybe?!

:?:
Spike - "Love like that makes you stronger than anything... you CAN SAVE THE WORLD WITH A LOVE LIKE THAT."
Veiriti
Transforumer

Postby Double Dutchess » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:48 pm

Veiriti wrote:The preview pages are awesome and the Franco Urru's art is incredible brilliant!!!! :D :D Especially in these scenes into the hotel room and Spike looking thru the window! As I've said a million times Urru is my favorite artist and no one can compare with him!

I completely agree!

Maybe Wolfram & Hart have something to do with all Twilight story?! What if they try to initiate the birth of the New Universe/Dimension? On Angel show, especially in season 5 The Senior Partners appear like a big black cat... hummm - the Kitty Twilight maybe?!

I think it's very unlikely that W&H are the villains in S8, in particular since everything that happened on AtS seems to be ignored in the Buffy comics.

Buffyversefantic wrote:I thought that was when the general pro-vampire / anti-Slayer sentiment started as well.Could be a continuity goof or maybe the sentiments were already there before the start of season 8 but they were just made worse by Harmony,some of the slayer's action and Twilight's forces.When did Buffy rob that bank?Had to be before the start of season 8 since she already had the slayers set up with gadgets and a castle in Buffy Season 8 #1.Twilight already had something to work with before Buffy #21.Things just got more amplified on that front by mid season 8.Maybe there was another pro vampire reality show before Harmony's and the producers of her show got the idea from there?That's just speculation though.Again,could just be a continuity goof.

Could be, but I think continuity goof is more likely. Not that I have any problem with that. (Though I'm sorry it will give ammunition to those who don't like Brian Lynch' work and would like to dismiss it as non-canon.)
Double Dutchess
Transforumer

Postby Veiriti » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:23 pm

I think it's very unlikely that W&H are the villains in S8, in particular since everything that happened on AtS seems to be ignored in the Buffy comics.

Yeah, W&H aren't the villains in S8, but I think they probably are connected somehow with all that Twilight stuff - W&H, The Circle Of the Black Torn, Angel who signed away the Shanshu prophesy with his blood, his vision of mass destruction in ATF, the return of the W&H again... and the Spike's series are connected with season 8, so who knows...
Spike - "Love like that makes you stronger than anything... you CAN SAVE THE WORLD WITH A LOVE LIKE THAT."
Veiriti
Transforumer

Postby Double Dutchess » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:05 pm

Veiriti wrote:Yeah, W&H aren't the villains in S8, but I think they probably are connected somehow with all that Twilight stuff - W&H, The Circle Of the Black Torn, Angel who signed away the Shanshu prophesy with his blood, his vision of mass destruction in ATF, the return of the W&H again... and the Spike's series are connected with season 8, so who knows...

But wouldn't W&H be on the side of the Earth Demons then -- their clients? On the other hand, maybe they want to expand their business and are looking for a whole universe as their new client! And you have a point about Angel's vision of mass destruction in AtF... That could very well be the death & destruction he caused as Twilight.
Double Dutchess
Transforumer

Postby Mariah » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:53 pm

Hey, guys.

Just to address the continuity issue:

You can ask Brian for more specifics, but it's not actually a continuity goof so much as gray area of time. And some inside jokes. Buffy is a year ahead of all the Angel comics at least, and while Spike will be more directly related than the others, we're not defining precisely how far behind it is. Hence why you're not seeing direct ref's to Harmony's show or the like. It's just a bit of humor for those who have read both, it's not to be taken as exact references to the timeline.

Spike's Vegas adventure takes place after Angel #38, and that's pretty much all the defining of the timeline we're doing for now. Illyria's story takes place after #38 as well, and after the little fight with Angel and Spike. When you see Illyria #1 you'll see how some of it ties together, but again, it's a tight time frame for only those specific events. The Spike adventure goes off on its own and has its own arc to manage. Brian's story was too important to hamstring with trying to force it all to gel perfectly. And a lot of the Spike comic had been established before the last story arc became the last one, so it's more on me than it is on Brian. We just want to link what we can, and hope fans will be forgiving and okay with the sort of vague "happens after #38" answer. :}

The way we see it, the pro-vamp attitude has probably been around awhile. Heck, there have been groups who really didn't understand how bad there were long before ATF (the ep of Buffy with the pro-vamp teens, for instance). So this is really just an extension of that, plus the fact that vamps are "known" now in this verse, and a little bit of a poke at the sparkly "romantic" vamps of "Twinkle". It's just playing with the idea that people are easily misled when they want to be. Our culture has often romanticized vampires, and this is just another facet of it. Which is, I'm sure, what the idea was in the Buffy comics. So we're just showing how it manifests in the Angel/Spikeverse side of things. :}

-Mariah
Mariah
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Deborahmm » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:34 pm

The preview pages look good, except for Spike saying he's 'frightfully cooler.'

:shudder:

If that's supposed to be Britspeak, I assure you it ain't.
Aargh! 'Shippers! There goes the neighbourhood.
Deborahmm
Transforumer

Postby Allycat » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:14 am

Thanks for clearing that up Mariah. You know, there's no continuity-gap too wide to be bridged by clever theories by fans with an over-active imagination and too much spare time.
Allycat
Slayer

Postby angeliclestat » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:59 am

Looks good- however I am going to give this a miss til the TPB, as I am with the Buffy. Having all these stories come out at the same time, with the same characters appearing in multiple stories in different time frames in the same month is pissing me off lol.

So I am gonna continue with the Angel and Illyria (which take place roughly around the same time), then read the Spike TPB, then read the Buffy Season 8 in full. That way I am reading the stories in the correct chronological order (which is kinda a thing with me:))
angeliclestat
Transforumer

Next

Return to Angel