Something Simon said...

Transformers is here! Discuss anything TF-related.

Moderators: ladywreck, tronprogram, bassbot, Ryall, JohnBarber, Cattleprod, CarlosG86

Postby Richter » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:10 pm

Beachcomber wrote:
Denyer wrote:Libraries. The internet, to a lesser extent. We have the experience of generations before us available -- sure, most people are too wilfully ignorant to pick up anything that isn't a TV remote, but the stuff's out there.

Libraries, books and the like offer no wisdom to those uninterested in pursuing them... the best, first "source" of wisdom comes from within, and the motivation to seek and interpret knowledge, perspective and understanding.

But that's just the way I see it...

Your signature seems so fitting.
Richter
Transforumer

Postby Denyer » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:16 pm

Beachcomber wrote:he best, first "source" of wisdom comes from within, and the motivation to seek and interpret

So... er, upbringing and other such external forces?

No man an island, and all that.
Denyer
Transforumer

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:48 pm

Denyer wrote:
Beachcomber wrote:he best, first "source" of wisdom comes from within, and the motivation to seek and interpret

So... er, upbringing and other such external forces?

No man an island, and all that.

I know what you mean, and to that end I believe in a certain collective consciousness (and unconsciousness) amongst humans. And on top of that there are a lot of people who are blessed to exist near people who could be considered "wiser" than others. All of which has a definite influence on the human trait we call "wisdom".

But as I said, the eyes and the ears of the learner must be open. For all we know, Paris Hilton's father could be freakin' Gandalf the White and still have the same IQ of squirrel piss. It's true that a LOT of what makes us who we are comes from the DNA and environment we're born into, but these things lessen their grips on us as language and information takes hold.

And then there's the sizeable matter of the variations of what is considered wisdom from person to person. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would consider it wiser to spend an afternoon at cockfight than a museum.

I just think for the most part, wisdom isn't something that can be given to you, but a result of the lessons you learn from your actions and decisions.

All IMO. :wink:
Beachcomber
Transforumer

Postby bassbot » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:52 pm

Wisdom is definitely learned. But you can pass on wisdom, or wise teachings to people. The problem is that until you make the mistake, you can't really learn from it. I find experiences are how we learn best. (being a teacher as well, i find that very often!!!)
Twitter: @lukeabarnett
Lukeabarnett writes on tumblr
bassbot
Transforumer

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:57 pm

bassbot wrote:Wisdom is definitely learned. But you can pass on wisdom, or wise teachings to people.

Oh, absolutely! And yes, the funny thing is, wisdom and teachings tend to only be recognized as such by those who are wise (IE- already learned a similar lesson), and disregarded by those who could use the information most.

Life is freakin' hilarious!
Beachcomber
Transforumer

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:59 pm

Richter wrote:
Beachcomber wrote:
Denyer wrote:Libraries. The internet, to a lesser extent. We have the experience of generations before us available -- sure, most people are too wilfully ignorant to pick up anything that isn't a TV remote, but the stuff's out there.

Libraries, books and the like offer no wisdom to those uninterested in pursuing them... the best, first "source" of wisdom comes from within, and the motivation to seek and interpret knowledge, perspective and understanding.

But that's just the way I see it...

Your signature seems so fitting.

:wink: :wink: :D
Beachcomber
Transforumer

Postby Richter » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:03 pm

bassbot wrote:Wisdom is definitely learned. But you can pass on wisdom, or wise teachings to people. The problem is that until you make the mistake, you can't really learn from it. I find experiences are how we learn best. (being a teacher as well, i find that very often!!!)

I spose a harderr wisdom then learning from one's mistakes, is learning from other's mistakes.

O.T. how many teachers do we have on this board, I know DanielW is one.
Richter
Transforumer

Postby DanielW » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:22 pm

Richter wrote:
DanielW wrote:
Richter wrote:
JazZeke wrote:How would you guys feel about seeing Vector Prime in the IDWTFU?

I'd like to see how he was portrayed, and Sentinel Prime as well.

"I am Vector Prime, it's my job to protect Time. You come a far second" as he batters someone around the head with that huge sword of his.

maybe add the word "Scoundrel" or "Roughian" at the end.

Definitely something "upper class English" like "Nefarious Cur!"
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby Richter » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:36 pm

DanielW wrote:
Richter wrote:
DanielW wrote:
Richter wrote:

I'd like to see how he was portrayed, and Sentinel Prime as well.

"I am Vector Prime, it's my job to protect Time. You come a far second" as he batters someone around the head with that huge sword of his.

maybe add the word "Scoundrel" or "Roughian" at the end.

Definitely something "upper class English" like "Nefarious Cur!"

"Nefarious Cur!"

I love it :D
Richter
Transforumer

Postby WindChargerNut » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:13 am

I'd like that that.
WindChargerNut
Transforumer

Postby Jack Cade » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:19 am

"Libraries. The internet, to a lesser extent."

They're not really sources of wisdom. They're devices for sharing public information. A conduit between individuals rather than a source - and, for that matter, they're full of misleading information as well. 'Wisdom' is generally considered to be worth more than knowledge - it's the vital stuff, filtered down to what is most useful and powerful, defined as much by what it excludes and ignores as what it pays attention to. It's the difference, say, between Sun Tzu's 'Art of War' and the entire history of world conflict as documented by a hundred different historians. The closest we have in real life would be, maybe, something like Penguin's efforts to present key philosophical texts in a boxed set, or maybe a book of famous quotes, but even that is a rather poor effort compared with a genuine oracle. The modern view - quite reasonably so - is that real wisdom is, by its nature, scattered.
Jack Cade

Postby Autorob » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:14 am

sorry, have i walked into the wrong thread....

*looks up and sees pages of self-actualization philosophy*

:shock:

*backs away towards door*

I'll get me coat... :arrow:
"I do not fear human wrath; I fear only your mercy"
(all my nonsense is okey-dokey to print)
Autorob
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:57 am

Autorob wrote:sorry, have i walked into the wrong thread....

*looks up and sees pages of self-actualization philosophy*

:shock:

*backs away towards door*

I'll get me coat... :arrow:

:lol: :wink:
Beachcomber
Transforumer

Postby amethystmatrix » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:06 pm

Richter wrote:
bassbot wrote:Wisdom is definitely learned. But you can pass on wisdom, or wise teachings to people. The problem is that until you make the mistake, you can't really learn from it. I find experiences are how we learn best. (being a teacher as well, i find that very often!!!)

I spose a harderr wisdom then learning from one's mistakes, is learning from other's mistakes.

O.T. how many teachers do we have on this board, I know DanielW is one.

:roll: I guess I have to admit to being a teacher too. However, I've been retired from everyday active duty for two years. I still keep my 'hand-in' by substituting for absentees occasionally.
amethystmatrix
Transforumer

Postby bassbot » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:50 pm

teachers, aussies, we're taking over the internet!!!!!!! bwahahahahahaha

anyhow.. i'm in my third year of teaching. been the busiest start to the year so far - but that's mainly overriding school changes, not anything in the actual teaching. can be fun. i just filmed with my yr10 class a scene from Lord of the Flies and they had a great time. Gotta edit it now.... too many bloopers...
Twitter: @lukeabarnett
Lukeabarnett writes on tumblr
bassbot
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers