Freshly Sired (Buffy Chat) Thread II

Drop any comments about Joss Whedon's Angel, Spike or any of the related titles in this space, whether you have a soul or not.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

Postby Buffyversefantic » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:53 am

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/victor- ... horse.html

SPIKE Leaves Buffy for Solo Adventure

By Chris Arrant, Newsarama Contributor
posted: 18 July 2012

He’s lived, he’s died, he’s come back and he’s reclaimed his soul. But for Buffy The Vampire Slayer’s vampire Spike, getting over heartbreak may be the worst of all. Good thing he’s’ got his steampunk space ship and his crew of alien cockroaches.

After the events in recent issues of Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season Nine, Spike is cutting away from Buffy and the Scoobies and into a new miniseries titled Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Spike. Writing this five-issue series is Victor Gischler, who’s written for Marvel these past few years and was the key writer for re-launching that company’s vampires. Gischler is joined by artist Paul Lee, who has drawn many of Dark Horse’s Buffy comics over the years.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Spike #1 is set to debut next month on August 22nd, and Newsarama talked with Gischler for more on vampires, bugs, and lost loves ... and a return to Sunnydale.

Newsarama: This new Spike mini spirals out of the main Buffy ongoing where Spike is left wanting in his on-again off-again relationship with Buffy. Where’s Spike’s head at when the series opens?

Victor Gischler: Honestly, where Spike head is at is the key question of this whole five issue miniseries, Chris. There is a story and some good action, but the real big thing we’re working on here is Spike’s current situation.

Spike starts out this story unhappy, confused and in a slightly self-destructive frame of mind. Like you said, his on-again –off again relationship is rough; if you’ve ever been in love, you don’t ever want to be in that off-again part. So he’s mentally wrestling with the reality of that.

Nrama: And what better place to think that in the captain’s seat of a steampunk space ship piloted by alien cockroaches. That was a very out-of-left-field development Spike had in the main Buffy comic, and you’re picking up on that.

Gischler: [laughs] Yeah, there’s some really interesting stuff already in place before I got there. It’s always interesting to come into a situation like this, where the editor tells me “Hey, we want you to write Spike.... On a bug ship, with bug minions.” It might be off-putting for some, but this unique set-up gives you another context in which to show Spike. So while we have a space ship and some alien bugs, I can assure you that in no circumstance will it suddently become Star Trek: Spike.... This isn’t Spike’s adventures throughout the cosmos. We come back to Earth pretty quickly – there’s some space stuff early on, but we come around again.

A lot of the forward momentum of this story is about loose ends. And the thing that brings him back to Earth is bringing him specifically back to the ruins of Sunnydale. If you remember the story with the Seed, Buffy shattered the Seed. That was 99% taken care of, but there’s a pesky 1% still floating out there that is some old business that needs to be sorted. So in a way, the actions reflect what’s going on in Spike’s mind. There’s old business that’s causing trouble, and that thorny problem – both in Spike’s head and in Sunnydale – needs to be excised out.

When Spike does come back Sunnydale, he’s meeting up with a new demon. I don’t want to say to much about her, but she’s a new character ... and as I just slipped, a new female character. I’ve seen the pages Paul Lee has done featuring her, and it’s going to be some great stuff. Spike sort of gets mixed up with some demons, and he’s had an uneven time with demons in general: he’s fought them, slayed them, but in the case of this series he discovers compassion for this demon and wants to help. After the Seed was busted, it closed this doorway – the hellmouth portal – and its stranded demons like her on our side. There’s lots of story mixed up in that, and thematically it leads us into the theme of home, family and where we decide our true home is and how we decide who our real family is.

Nrama: Forgive me, but I can get past those bugs on his ship. Roaches give me the heebie jeebies, but how are you aiming to make them work here?

Gischler: If you’re familiar with the relationship Spike and the bugs have, they’re sort of his ultra-faithful servants and there’s really a lot of quite nice comic relief potential with the bugs. Spike can be a little bit abrasive and he’s not always polite with them, but the bugs take it because Spike is their master.

I do admit they are creepy, but it’s in a way that plans into the fun. Once I got into the writing of this comic series, I actually found the bugs quite useful. When I was about halfway through writing the series, I actually went back and expanded some of their roles in the first two issues. This isn’t a miniseries about the bugs, but they’re going to be very useful and enjoyable characters. I found them surprisingly fun to write.

Nrama: This spins out of what Spike’s gone through in the main Buffy comic series, but how does it relate now with what’s going on in Buffy and sister title Angel & Faith?

Gischler: The connective tissue is more thematic than it is physical. It’s really about Spike getting himself back in a frame of mind that he can come back to the larger world, and that he can participate with the rest of the cast we all know. How that’s going to happen – or even when – is not really for me to say. This miniseries Paul Lee and I are doing are about Spike attempting to get his had on straight.

Nrama: You mentioned earlier that you’ve already seen some of the work artist Paul Lee has done based on your script. How is he acclimating to the story you’re aiming to tell?

Gischler: He’s excellent. Look, I can’t draw so everytime I see artwork come in based on my written scripts I’m amazed. As a comics writer, you always have this concern that you may not be communicating effectively enough in the script to impart the artist with all the necessary information. Once I got Paul’s first pages, I had a sense of great relief and then a flood of pleasure. I just received an advanced PDF of the full first issue to give it one last look-thru, and it’s outstanding. Paul conveys very naturally what I was trying to get across in my script.

Nrama: Since you first started in comics back in 2008, all of your work to date has been at Marvel. Why’d you choose to expand now, and why was this Spike series the right one for you to expand with?

Gischler: When I recently wrapped up my work for Marvel, I was coming off a very intense run on X-Men. It was excellent for my career to be associated with the X-Men, but also very intense; Marvel takes their characters very seriously, as they should. Although I’m sorry not to be doing X-Men any more, I’m glad too. I have mixed feelings, but at the end of the the day it’s allowed me to do new things.

I had a phone conversation with Dark Horse’s Scott Allie about five or six months before he even approached me about doing Spike, and he asked me several questions; things like what does Dark Horse do that I like, and what I had in mind that I’d like to do with them. One of the things Dark Horse has going for it is the wealth of non-superhero properties; especially the Joss Whedon stuff. I’m a huge fan of Firefly and Buffy, and Allie could tell. I was grateful for my time on X-Men, but I’m really excited to be able to do non-superhero stuff. Actually, I have a number of non-superhero creator-owned things that will be announced soon as well.

Nrama: How did Scott bring Spike into the picture?

Gischler Well, as I said a few months went by after my initial conversation with Scott before we got on this subject. He called back and asked what I thought about doing a story about Spike, and I said “Heck yeah, I’d love to do that.” Not only was it non-superhero, but it was something uniquely different. Doing this minieries has been a chance for me to spread my wings as a comics writer; it almost feels physically different when it comes down to writing this over my Marvel work. It’s kind of like if you’d been eating pizza for 20 days in a row and you get offered steak. You love pizza, but a steak does sound great too. I love writing for Marvel. But I’m so glad for the chance to so sink my teeth into Spike.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Shade of Pale » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:46 am

Thanks. I quite enjoyed that interview !
Shade of Pale
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:17 am

http://io9.com/5927278/geeking-out-abou ... oss-whedon

Geeking Out About Storytelling with Joss Whedon

Charlie Jane Anders

Joss Whedon is in the unique position of being both a cult icon and a huge mainstream creator, thanks to projects like Firefly and The Avengers. But both halves of his success spring from his ability to create addictive stories, that leave you desperate to know what happens next.

We were lucky enough to spend some time chatting with Whedon at Comic Con, so we asked him some geeky questions about storytelling. Here's what he told us.

This interview was very kindly set up by Dark Horse Comics, so we tried to keep the interview pretty focused on the comics that Whedon is doing with them — including Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9, Angel and Faith, and some upcoming Firefly comics. But we also took this opportunity to geek out about comics versus other media, and the nature of serialized storytelling.

You've said in the past that TV shows are a question, and movies are an answer. What are comics?

I will put comics in the TV camp, because of the serialized storytelling, the growth over the years... but at the end of the day, you do sort of come to them needing a thing that is both cinematic and has that kind of resolve. So... both. I feel like when Spider-Man defeats the Tarantula, you get your answer. But then you need to know where he's going from there. And could I have made more of a Seventies reference than that? In my mind, it's all Ross Andru. But I think it's definitely both. Because you don't just want to move forward. You want something that says, "I'm here for this hero to win the day." The way you go see a movie and say, "I want that resolve."

That kind of feeds into our next question. Historically, both TV and comics depended on the illusion of change. You were part of a generation that challenged that, adding more arc-based storytelling and actual change. Like, Buffy graduates high school, drops out of college, moves to San Francisco, and so on. Do you think that was a good move, in retrospect?

It was good for us. It was good for the kinds of storytelling that I want to do. Is it good for all comics? I don't think so. Some things really should stay the same. Reed Richards should always have exactly this much gray. [Gestures at the sides of his head.] But um... You know, the problem is, when something goes on for as long as most things have, then they're just looking for any change. Either they reboot it, or they do something drastic, because they can't write the same thing over and over. I mean, TV shows don't run since the Sixties. Whereas some of these comics have.

But with the newer stuff, the more graphic novel-y stuff, when you get a story that's just about the progression of the story, for me it's harder to dive in than when I know, "This guy is going to have this power and that's the thing." It's a different experience. And for me, I feel like comics — that sort of comfort food that I refer to a lot of recent TV as — I seem to want that from comics.

You want the comfort food.

A little bit. I want to see the costume. I want to see the power. I want to know what the sitch is. And from there, I like the comfort food... but there's a lot of exceptions. Like with the Luna Brothers' Girls, which was a book that I never knew from issue to issue what was going to happen. I just adored it. But when I think about creating comics, I think more in terms of, "Why are we coming back? What do I love?" Not, "What can I change?".

When a character makes the transition from film to TV to comics, like Buffy, or comics to film like the Avengers, what is gained and what's lost in those transitions between media?

Well, you know... A ton of stuff gets gained and lost, obviously. Every medium is different, you have to respect that. Let's use the Avengers as an example. The wardrobe — on the one hand, you absolutely have to respect what people understand as iconically that character. On the other hand, some of that stuff looks idiotic. You can't give Captain America the big swashbuckler boots that he has in the comic, because they look dumb. And so you're always looking for what you can pull. And one of the things I give Marvel a lot of credit for is, they're good at knowing, "This is sacred. This is something we can approximate. And this, we don't need."

And, you know, with Buffy going to comics, what you lose are actors who actually are changing. They are growing. They are aging. They are investigating their characters in new ways. You know, you're just drawing old pictures of a person from reference. Luckily, Georges [Jeanty] is a master at doing reference that feels fresh. That doesn't feel like an old reference. But you know, you're always going to find there's a huge amount [that gets lost]. The trick is knowing what things are sacred.

In Season 8 of Buffy, I lost one of the sacred things, which is "This is about us." But I kept... I mean, I love Season 8. I think there's good stuff in it. But I felt there was one element that belonged in both [the TV show and the comics]. And with The Avengers, it was the same thing. The real question was, "Can I evoke the ethos and the feeling I had when I cracked that book every month when I was 11? And at the same time make a grown-up movie?"

What would Buffy Season 20 look like?

I think the real question is, "What will Buffy season 20 look like?" A little creaky. She's probably going to have some work done. Some Botox. You know... I am trying to think. She would be in her thirties. And believe me, there's a lot of stories to tell about that. Actually, it's sometimes easier to tell stories about people in their thirties than people in their twenties.

So you feel that Season 8 lost sight of the relatability of the characters?

A little bit. I was so excited by what a comic book can do that a TV show can't, that I lost a little bit of that thing of "What was sacred," what must go from one thing to the other.

So this is kind of a weird question, and you probably answered it years ago. But why did you choose not to retell Buffy's origin in the pilot of the TV show? Why pick up where the movie left off?

I don't like to tell the same story twice. Now, I repeat myself all the time. I have the same themes that I go to. And I have more than once actually written the same scene twice and then realized it too late. One time I caught it, and one time it aired. That was awkward. But I really don't... Once I've told a story, I kind of want to move on. And I didn't feel [like retelling it], even though not many people had seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer [the movie].

I was also creating a show, and movie to show is a very big change. To answer a question... the movie could just be a pastiche of horror movies. It was supposed to be a real horror movie — but in the way that Cabin [in the Woods] is, it was supposed to be a commentary on horror movies. And that was enough of a premise for a movie. It's not enough of a premise for a TV show. So I needed to introduce a completely new world anyway. I needed sidekicks anyway. And I needed to make her younger anyway, because she would have graduated [from high school too soon]. And so all of that led to me going, "I just want a new story."

And this was before everybody rebooted everything. This was before Ultimate Everything. And so maybe now, I'd go, "Oh, we'll just start again." Because people do that. But for me, I'm like, "I told that story. And I get bored."

Do you think you'll go back to TV at some point?

I absolutely hope so. I love TV, in a way that I don't love any other medium. But it's a huge commitment, and right now I just got out of a huge commitment. And I'm trying to figure out what my next one will be.

So when Angel moved from IDW to Dark Horse, he crossed universes. Is there something about crossing universes in that way that turns someone evil?

Well, you know, you just don't want to do it. You cross universes [and] first of all going through Security is hell. OK, and you usually get a horrible stomach. And the lag. It's really evil-lag, is what it is. So the most important thing for me, and I can't say enough — I thought IDW really did a wonderful job, and was also enormously gracious about the fact that for me, I just needed [Buffy and Angel] to be back on the same network. And then, for me, it was also like, if we're going to do that, we have to ring a change.

And how evil he was or wasn't, or thought he was, is the cause of some debate — even among the writers. I'm not sure we agree. I'm not sure all of us could totally follow the story [in season 8.] Is that a problem? [laughs]

Later on during Comic Con, we ran into Whedon at the Entertainment Weekly party, and took the opportunity to ask him just two more questions...

Is there anything you can tell us about Dr. Horrible 2?

Not a huge amount. Because we're still building it. And we don't want to give away the plot. And we're not even sure of the platform.

People like Tom Hanks and Bryan Singer are starting to create webseries now. Do you feel like this is a vindication of your faith in that format?

I felt vindicated the moment we finished filming it and I liked it. And other liked it, that was good too. And other people are doing it, that's fine, I guess. But I think everybody's got their own reasons, their own agenda, their own story to tell. It was important for us to do it on the internet. But what comes next — I'll be more interested in what the people with no established identities at all get to make than what we all can already make.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:05 pm

Buffy S9 # 12 Preview Pages.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... w&id=13030

EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW: "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9" #12

Dark Horse Comics has provided CBR with an exclusive preview of "Buffy: Season 9" #12 by Andrew Chambliss and Georges Jeanty. The issue, with covers by Jeanty and Phil Noto, goes on sale August 8.

By working for Deepscan—the company that recruits Slayers as bodyguards—Buffy thought she would disengage herself from the world of demons and garner a more significant income, to boot. While the income may get her closer to paying off pesky student loans, the demony population is closer to her than ever, thanks to her first client. Buffy, under the tutelage of a disgruntled and heartbroken Kennedy, has her work cut out for her and is forced to call on the honorable Eldre Koh for help, culminating in a little demon-on-demon violence.

Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:37 pm

New piece of Willow art from SDCC at Bleeding Cool.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/07/20/ ... rse-panel/

•They showed off a couple covers of the five issue Willow series that’s coming soon from the Buffy line of comics.

Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:15 pm

SDCC12 Georges Jeanty video interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQmPWUGH ... r_embedded

1)Georges believes the Drusilla miniseries is back on and will be starting up towards the end of season 9 around the 20's of Buffy and Angel & Faith.

2)Georges teases Illyria.Andrew Chambliss mentioned Illyria to Georges while they were signing at the Con.

It's a 15 minute interview and really fun.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:57 pm

Scott Allie interview at SDCC.Excerpts from the video interview.The full video is also included

http://www.whedonverse.net/events/comic ... ly-comics/

Dark Horse’s Scott Allie talks Buffy books, possible Firefly comics

By Simon– July 23, 2012

Last week, we caught up with Scott Allie, senior managing editor at Dark Horse Comics, during Comic-Con 2012. He clued us in to how far in advance the storylines for Buffy book are set; hinted at possible Firefly-connected comics in the future; and talked about how involved Joss Whedon is in plotting out issues. He also puts to rest rumors of additional Buffyverse books on the imminent horizon.

Excerpts from the interview, the full video for which can be watched below:

Scott Allie: The big Whedon stuff– the focus– is still getting season 9 wrapped up. For us, we’re closing in on the end, even though for readers, it’s really the midway point. We’re working on scripts for issues 18 and 19 of Buffy and Angel. We’re well [into] Willow and Spike [books]. Spike debuts in August and Willow debuts in October. Last night we had dinner with David Mack, one of the cover artists on Willow. He’s doing great stuff on that.

WVN: Has there been talk of additional books coming out?

SA: No, the only titles that you’ll see out of season 9 are the two ongoing, and the Willow and the Spike mini-series. We’ve talked about other possibilities. We could do more, but we really only want to do the stories that we have to tell and put in the amount of attention we can. A lot of the writers from the TV show are just so busy, we haven’t gotten as much of them, except for Andrew [Chambliss] who is extremely busy on our stuff. Jane Espenson and Drew Greenberg are doing a two-parter– issues 14 and 15 are written by the two of them.

Bringing in experienced comics writers that we’re fans of, who can really get the Whedonverse is a real challenge. We want to get great comic book writers who really get this, who can duplicate the voices and really bring it across. We’ve started previewing Spike and Victor Gischler is doing an incredible job on that. It feels so much like Spike, and that’s really rewarding, relieving, satisfying.

Future Firefly-related comics?

SA: Yeah [...] I believe Joss will be saying something on the panel, if he remembers… So he’s supposed to mention it there, but it’s still a little ways off. We don’t like to do a lot of announcements too far before the books come out. To do a Firefly book right, takes a lot of advanced work. With Firefly there’s a lot to be figured out and nailed down. And Joss is so busy, we want to get as much of his time as we can in Season 9, and not suddenly burden him with a whole ‘nother series he needs to play father to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5V9d6po ... r_embedded

A couple of other points from the video.

1)Scott says Joss's involvment in season 9 is less then it was in season 8.In season 8,Joss was writing a lot of the issues and directing the story and running every inch of the thing.With season 9,Joss touches on the big points and they have a lot of email round tables between Joss and the writers where they can ask him stuff.

2)They just had a email roundtable with Joss on how season 9 ends and sets up season 10.The whole pregnancy/abortion scenario was something Joss was heavily involved in calling all the big shots so they hit all the major points he wanted them to hit.

3)There are certain aspects coming up in Angel & Faith that require Joss to be kind of in there and directly guiding it(more hands on fromthe sound of it like the pregnancy/abortion plot in Buffy).

4)Joss is not doing line edits on the scripts for the most part like he did in season 8.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:51 am

CBR TV video interview with joss from SDCC.There is a transcript too included.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=40097

CBR TV @ CCI: Joss Whedon on Buffy, "The Avengers" & Nick Fury

Joss Whedon spoke with CBR TV from the floor of Comic-Con International about "Buffy Season 9," "Angel & Faith" and Nick Fury's Machiavellian approach to saving the world in "The Avengers."

Kiel Phegley, News Editor

From his "that just happened" meeting with legendary director John Landis to talking about what he and the rest of the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9" creative teams have in story for Buffy, Angel, Faith and the rest of the Sunnydale alum to his approach towards "The Avengers," Joss Whedon had something to talk about.

The director/writer spoke with CBR's Kiel Phegley on the floor of Comic-Con International in San Diego, where he explained what went into the recently-completed Buffy/pregnancy/abortion/robot storyline, developing the new world rules in "Angel & Faith," Nick Fury's Machiavellian approach to protecting the world and more.

Check out the interview - and complete transcript - below!

CBR TV: What up partners? It's Kiel Phegley here on CBR TV and I am in a secret enclave within the Dark Horse booth at Comic-Con 2012 with Mr. Joss Whedon and they didn't get to see this, but John Landis was just here! That was really crazy and fun!

Joss Whedon: John Landis just stopped by and said, "Hey, I'm John Landis!" as if he need to tell me that.

[Laughs]

He said, "I really liked your movie," and I said, "That's good because you were a big influence." And then he left!

Obviously, we're at the Dark Horse booth and I spent a lot of time for the site talking to Scott Allie and Andrew Chambliss and all these guys who have been working on the Buffy books, but I feel like they're the team who are playing out your playbook on that series and SPOILER WARNING, everybody, there's been so many twists to "Season 9" so far. We've had a pregnancy scare, we have a choice for an abortion, we have a robot twist at the end of all this and as that arc took shape for you, what piece came first and in what way did you feel all those disparate parts to fit together for the character in this moment?

Well, it's all in the service of telling this story about somebody who's twenty who doesn't know how to start creating her identity. All of her friends seem to be on a path. When you're in your twenties, you choose a path. Usually, that doesn't change. Usually, when you're in your thirties, what you chose in your twenties is who you are now. It's kind of this weirdly crucial time that people don't talk about very much because it doesn't sound very mythic. The thing about Buffy is she's mythic and it's always grounded in the mundane. The mundane truth is she has a skill set that she doesn't know how to use. She doesn't have a lot of other skills and she never really thought about direction because she assumed she was going to be killed. To me, I am one of the few people I know that always had a pretty clear idea of what he wanted to do from college on. But most of my friends were like, "Who am I, what do I become?" and for her to deal with the idea of "Okay, if I'm pregnant, that makes me think about my life. If I'm a robot watching myself in a different life, that makes me figure out who I am." Everything was always in the service of -- I'm at an age where I could be one thing, I can be another, I see variations on it and the urgency of needing to make those choices are what's driving it.

There has been so much change since Buffy has moved into comics full time, but with the idea of a pregnancy, I kind of feel like it would have been hard to go through with that on many different fronts. A baby specifically, but even an abortion -- do you have a fear sometimes that you can change too much about that character and that world that takes it far off from what you initially intended?

You're always trying to figure out the line. When I see something where a character completely violates something that I understand about them, I'm done. I'm not watching. This has happened with shows that I've watched through religiously and I saw one false move and I'm like, "I'm out." I always have to be aware of that. At the same time, we are always changing in what we do, what we think is okay -- you have to change. If people just do the same thing all the time, the comic would get super boring. I think with the abortion, for me, I was never going to give her a child because that's not the journey she should be on right now. It was really about "How is this going to affect how she thinks about her life" and it was also as political as I've ever gotten, just that somebody should say, "I am going to do this." It is a choice over a third of America will make in their lifetimes and nobody was really talking about it. But it was never about going through the process. It was just about articulating the decision. And robot. The robot was always in the mix. The first issue I wrote, everything was designed to call back to "Wait a minute--"

You've also got the "Angel and Faith" book coming along. That book seems to be so involved with how the world has changed, but in a completely different way than what "Buffy" has been. We know we're in a world where magic is a rare commodity now and the rules don't quite work anymore. How do you expect by the end of "Season 9" those two books in terms of the characters and their personal journeys will clash back together?

That's actually something we're still working out. Theirs is this sort of weird and tenuous, yet strong bond. We want to shake it up, we want to change the parameters, but at the same time, we're always having discussions about "Do they come here? Do they come apart? How separate can we make it and still have it be 'Angel and Faith?'" which is a team.

On the movie side of things, I'm going to be the twelve billionth person to tell you this weekend that "The Avengers" was great, it was so much fun, I saw it twice. I took my mother. She laughed and then she was confused about things, then she laughed again.

[Laughs] That's sort of what it was like to me. Funny, I didn't really know what was going on.

Well, one of the threads that really struck me as I was watching the film is that all the Marvel movies ended up being a play on this idea of militarization of technology and that we have something that's introduced into the world and we have opposing sides trying to weaponize it in some sense. Your really seemed to want to take that thread in some sense and kind of run -- not unknowingly -- but just a facet of the world and push it essential to the conflict. What for you made that a story that worked for these extraordinary characters coming together.

Well, I didn't really think about it in terms of what they had done for the other movies, except as useful to me. I didn't think about it as a thematic thread, I thought, "Oh, this is a piece I can use is that they're interested in this stuff" -- because why wouldn't they be? The idea that they were going to weaponize the cube, for me, was about playing more of the reality in terms of "The Ultimates" or "The Authority" -- that kind of thing where -- or Straczynski's book --

"Rising Stars?"

Yes. No, it's not "Rising Stars."

Oh! "Supreme Power!"

Yes, sorry. Sorry, J. Michael. But they all deal very poignantly with the reality of "Superman's here and he's in a bad mood. What do we do? We're humans! We've got nothing. We're in trouble." To lay that on the table was such a perfect thing for this because it made Fury seem Machiavellian, but I think he's totally right. I mean, absolutely they need to protect themselves. There's aliens now. Thor's an alien and he's stronger than us. It brought up issues that would help everybody's point of view coalesce and it would also help separate the Avengers from S.H.I.E.L.D., which is the other really important thing -- making sure that people didn't think, "Oh, it's a group that these guys run." It was very important for them to kill daddy in order to become their own grown-up family. That's the other thing that I like to raise. Fury even knew that. He knew he had to get them together as a team and then take himself out of the equation.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:23 am

First advanced review for Buffy S9 # 12.

http://www.threeifbyspace.net/2012/08/b ... ak-review/

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Nine #12 – Sneak Review

Posted on 01 August 2012 by Nicci

** The following review while careful not to reveal any actual spoilers from this issue, it does tease the reader with hints as well as spoilers from issues past. Please feel free to purchase this issue on 08/08/2012 **

Beautiful art in this fantastic issue of Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Nine #12 however, short review as I don’t want to give away any of the killer humor, fights, or spoilers.

First off, amazing cover from Phil Noto. This issue was a hilarious action-packed romp with hell beasties, demons, and social networking. Kennedy and Buffy are equally charming and witty as they help a young Zuckerberg-esque software developer survive the murderous intents of old time demonic trifecta favorite, Wolfram & Hart.

Like with Angel & Faith’s current arc this arc seems along the same vein as the Angel TV series and fans of the television show are sure to enjoy it.

Psychology steps back into play as Buffy finds herself relating in an unforeseen way to their hunted client and the ending definitely leaves the readers hungry for #13! Also, very interesting use of the mythos. I think the writing staff are having a lot of fun advancing the idea of a world without magic. -N

ETA

Second advanced Buffy S9 # 12 review.

http://www.bamfas.com/2012/08/review-bu ... ed-part-2/

Review – Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 9 #12 – Guarded Part 2

By Jenny– August 1, 2012

Script: Andrew Chambliss
Pencils: Georges Jeanty
Inks: Nathan Massengill
Colors: Michelle Madsen
Letters: Richard Starkings and Comicraft’s Jimmy Betancourt
Cover: Phil Noto
Alternate Cover: Georges Jeanty with Dexter Vines and Michelle Madsen
Created By: Joss Whedon
Published By: Dark Horse

Buffy is settling in quickly to her new role as bodyguard. Along with Kennedy, she is on duty protecting Theo Daniels, founder of TinCan. This isn’t your run-of-the-mill protect the rich and important computer nerd, Daniels has Wolfram and Hart after him and Buffy has her hands full. TinCan is a social networking site that Wolfram and Hart hired Daniels to create, and even with magic not existing on Earth anymore, the complicated code that he created allows other-worldly portals to remain open. The solution to the problem quickly becomes evident however, as always in Buffy’s world, it won’t be easy. Buffy calls on an ally for help, who as it turns out may not be as trustworthy and forthcoming as Buffy would have hoped!

This issue has a lot of action. The Wolfram and Hart storyline is exciting and it will be interesting to see what their next move will be. This issue has the feel of a stand alone issue even though it’s part of an arc. I’m not saying this is a bad thing but how it all comes together will also be interesting to see. Like I said in my review of the last issue, I’ve never been a big fan of Kennedy but her role in this issue is minimal and my annoyance level with her was low. Buffy seems to have calmed down a little bit in this issue, which in my opinion is a good thing. She previously felt frantic and lost and she seems more on track here. The betrayal at the end of the issue was a shock and I can’t wait for Buffy to lose her s#!t in the next issue!

Release Date: August 8th, 2012
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:38 am

Third advanced review for Buffy S9 # 12.

http://www.wired.com/geekmom/2012/08/co ... r-8-01-12/

Like many of you, I am a fan of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV series — I own the DVDs for the entire series, and my kids turned me on to the Buffy comics from Dark Horse that extend that storyverse, with executive producer oversight by Joss Whedon. I missed some of the recent issues but was happy to catch up with Buffy and the gang in Season 9, Number 12.

Buffy’s world is a different place than it was in the TV show, or even in the earlier comics, yet she still struggles with issues of her place amongst those less gifted, whether indeed she is gifted or cursed, and how to make a living wage when her business card reads “Slayer.” She attempts to resolve some of these questions by going to work along with Kennedy as a bodyguard, but, as usual, trouble and demons follow her. Buffy recruits a new and enviable ally when a savvy foe from her past threatens, introducing an intriguing blend of dark hell dimensions and familiar mundane technology.

This issue is suitable for ages nine and over, but Buffy in general has intense angst, horror, and mild sexual content, making it uncomfortable for some young teens and children.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:54 am

Fourth advanced Buffy S9 # 12 review.

http://geeksyndicate.wordpress.com/2012 ... -issue-12/

COMIC REVIEW: Buffy Season 9, Issue #12

Posted by sarawezzie on August 3, 2012

It’s nice to see Buffy getting back to basics after the theatrics of Season 8 and this issue is bringing the fun in to the series after a very intense previous story arc, which saw Buffy wrestle with the controversial topic of abortion and then having to deal with the inconvenience of finding out she’s actually a robot. Now back in her body Buffy’s taking control of her life again, trying to make it on her own and act like a responsible bill paying adult.

This issue is part 2 of the Guarded arc and it sees Buffy tasked with shutting down TINCAN, which is basically Facebook for Demons stuck in the hell dimensions and on our side. They’re not using it to post adorable picture of their spawn that’s for sure.

Old favourites Wolfram and Hart have ordered a hit on TINCAN founder, Theo Daniels, who’s hired Buffy’s new employers Deepscan to shut down the servers and stop the evil law firm in their tracks. The only thing standing between them and the servers is a Teuth demon and they’re pretty big and seem to have never ending tentacles … so she calls on Eldre Koh for help bringing it down.

This is an entertaining issue with lots of amusing little artistic touches in the first few pages (see if you can spot Joss Whedon’s avatar) but I still find Georges Jeanty’s art inconsistent. There are panels where Buffy & Kennedy’s faces look so similar that it takes me a while to figure out which character is actually talking, but the fun story and Andrew Chambliss’ peppy dialogue more than makes up for the varying quality of the artwork.

With magic gone and no way of moving between realms the demons need to get creative and that’s what this issue addresses, while poking fun at social networking. Plus the big bonus is that Wolfram and Hart are back, I hope we see more of them in upcoming issues because if any demons can get over the hurdle of having to cause mischief with no magic in the world it’ll be this lot.

GS Rating 4/5
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:02 pm

Two more advanced reviews for Buffy S9 # 12.

http://www.heroesonline.com/blog/2012/0 ... t-08-2012/

STAFF PICKS :: BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER: SEASON 9 # 12 :: AUGUST 08, 2012

August 6, 2012 By: Heather Peagler

HEATHER’S PICK :: BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER: SEASON 9 #12: Since the major world changes from Season Eight, Buffy has had a lot going on as she adjusts to life in post-Twilight era. (That’s Season Eight’s Big Bad, not the sparkling vamp series.) Supernatural foes have been replaced by typical post-college woes: maintaining steady employment and paying off student loans. Slayer training is now put to practical use in a special security gig that brings back one of my favorite Big Bads from the Angel side of the Buffyverse: Wolfram & Hart (oh, those evil lawyers!!). Come for the beautiful Phil Noto covers and stay for the great storytelling within.

http://comicsgrinder.com/2012/08/06/buf ... -review-2/

August 6, 2012 · 4:22 am

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER SEASON 9 #12 Review

Buffy has gotten under my skin, as I’m sure she has for many of you faithful readers. And look at where she’s at now, right in the thick of the everyday mortal social/status/career morass we accept as our lives. Well, we don’t entirely accept it and Buffy, we’re pretty sure, is just biding her time until she can plot her next move, something we’re all doing ourselves in our own ways. And what an ironic showcase assignment for our Buffy to have: securing the safety of a Mort Zuckerberg-like character, one of these social media kingpins who promised to make our social/status/career thing run oh so smoothly. Just believe! Just add a new Friend or Like something!

Horror and biting social commentary can often make a good mix. And it can work for vampires or, more to the point here, vampire slayers, er, former vampire slayers. The key thing here is “former” vampire slayer. Buffy’s nose will continue to be rubbed in that harsh fact. She ain’t no slayer now. Who’s your slayer? Not Buffy, no way. She been downsized and upgraded, turned inside out, and gone corporate. But how long can it last, really? One thing we like about Buffy is that this girl can focus and her job right now is to keep one dumbass CEO of the latest and greatest social media, “Tin Can” from getting eaten up alive by some major demon mofos. And why would that be, you may ask. Because this Tin Can thing is geared up to the very depths of hell, that’s why! The guy made some bargain with some devil and now he’s looking for Buffy and her crew, well, actually Kennedy’s crew of elite security to save his sorry self.

This is one of the funniest and most enjoyable Buffy reads yet. It’s very bright, techy and geeky without trying and something that will put a nice kick in your day. This next issue comes out August 8. As always, please visit and enjoy our friends at Dark Horse Comics.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:53 am

Seventh Buffy S9 # 12 review.

http://fandomania.com/buffy-the-vampire ... ic-review/

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Nine #12 Comic Review

Posted by Kimberly Lynn Workman

Issue: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Nine #11
Release Date: July 2012
Writer: Andrew Chambliss
Pencils: Georges Jeanty
Inks: Nathan Massengill
Colors: Michelle Madsen
Letters: Richard Starkings and COMICRAFT’S Jimmy Betancourt
Cover A: Phil Noto
Cover B: Georges Jeanty with Dexter Vines and Michelle Madsen
Publisher: Dark Horse Comics

Destiny is calling Buffy again. Her dreams of a simple life went up in smoke when Wolfram & Hart started targeting her newest client. Even from another dimension, the old mainstay is still creating havoc and setting themselves up to return to power. Whatever shall a Slayer do?

We start off with the image of a tentacle playing on TinCan, the comic world’s answer to Facebook. Except, whereas Facebook is earth-bound, TinCan’s reach is all the way to the hell dimensions. That’s right, it’s a social network for demons, and guess who’s behind it? None other than Wolfram & Hart. They paid Theo to insert some code when he developed the program and now he can’t remove it. Instead, he gave the evil entity its own personal front door to our world when all others were shut. He should really have a better handle on coding procedures, don’t you think? Threatened with death, he came to Buffy and Kennedy for protection. He may be able to afford Slayer body guards, but that doesn’t guarantee that he’s getting out of this situation alive.

The choice Theo is left with is simple, though hard to make. He can either erase TinCan’s existence, saying goodbye to all his life’s work and the gathered information of countless people, or he can allow the demons to infiltrate our world. But it’s not as easy as just unplugging one cord and being done with it. He’s got to get to the main server, housed under TinCan’s headquarters, and overheat the machine. This is made more complicated by the fact that the tentacle thing we saw before? It’s there, too, and it’s a Teuth demon. It’s huge and not something that Buffy, Kennedy, and Theo can take on by themselves. Good thing Buffy’s got Koh on her side. By Nitobe code, he owes Buffy a favor and she’s calling it in. It’s four against one, but the odds aren’t necessarily in their favor.

Not only do they have to deal with the Teuth demon, but also their own self-doubts. Theo doesn’t want to kill his life’s work, even if it’s the best thing to do. Buffy brings up the parallels between his choice and the choice she had to make with The Seed. They’ll both lose friends and have plenty of people who won’t understand, but they’re doing it for the right reasons. Kennedy has her own doubts as well, and wonders if they should go through with the plan, since they could use TinCan’s connection to another dimension and bring magic back to their world. Willow could regain her powers; not that it’s Kennedy’s only motivation for considering it. What she doesn’t know is that Willow’s doing just fine without them, over with Angel and Faith and Connor, doing the exact same thing. I wonder if the storylines will ever intersect.

It wouldn’t be an issue without a cliffhanger thrown in. This time, Koh is the one bringing the drama. He offers to double-cross the gang and kill Theo for Wolfram & Hart in exchange for learning which demon imprisoned him. What sacrifices will be made and what choices will they have to live with before this is all over? That’s what we’ll have to wait and find out.

Rating: 4 / 5 Stars

And I'm still thinking the demon that imprisoned Koh is Illyria.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:01 am

First spoilers for today's Buffy S9 # 12
from Zianna and Maggie.

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showt ... hp?t=18967

Zianna

The issue is out, so we can start discussing it.

Can't say I liked it, I've no idea how come some early reviewers said that it is funny, well it isn't.

Scott says in the letters that Xander's and Dawn's story will be visited but it's gonna take a while, (wait the end of Espenson's arc, that's for sure, so that means the earlier is #16 and I'm the one talking in the parenthesis, not Scott) that the new gay guy doesn't mean that he's going to be a love interest for Andrew, that hopefully Warren is dead and they won't screw it up again like in S8, and someone asks about AI Buffy and he says "who knows" leaving it open for future use.

Maggie

Not one but two letters of Andrew-love. Clearly in the Buffy verse it's just A-OK to roofie a girl and steal her whole body so that you can "protect" her.

I don't feel like recapping. Too many tentacles. Some comments:

Buffy on Wolfram and Hart: You sure this is really Wolfram and Hart? Demon-law-firm-Angel-and-Spike-were-prepared-to-die-to-keep-out-of-this-realm Wolfram and Hart?

I'm confused or Buffy is confused. Angel's suicide plan was never supposed to have any real impact on Wolfram and Hart, was it? Much less keep it out of this realm.

Buffy draws a parallel between Theo taking down Tin Can and her smashing the seed. At least the parallel includes prior culpability as well. Theo let W&H put the code into his program in exchange for start-up money. He thought they were looking for a way to track advertising, he says. Basically he started a social network and let folks with deep pockets put in code he didn't understand. But Buffy's stress is on how people will hate him for destroying the connections he created for them, but that he still has to do the right thing. So basically she's presenting herself as a martyr for the cause. I still wish they'd let Buffy deal with the fact that a bunch of people died because of her mistake. Then I can get on board with her for it sucking that people are mad at her for doing what it took to stop the world from ending.

Buffy's demon issues come up a couple of times. Once on the preview page. Once with Kennedy saying Koh is cute if you go for that sort of thing. Buffy thinks she means demons. Kennedy means guys.

Koh's code places honor highest, and for him that means getting vengeance is first thing on his agenda. Ironically, if Buffy had been willing to help him with his project in the last issue, she wouldn't have been in this fix in this issue. (That's not a justification for Koh, or even an argument that she should have helped him last time. Just an observation about irony.) There were some interesting exchanges between them about what it means to be a warrior -- and that's what I'm looking for in the Buffy/Koh interactions. Not that she'd take his code, since obviously a code that ranks vengeance so highly isn't a great code. But it sets her up to have to figure out her own code. And having to figure out what to do with that while also going corporate.

That's all I've got. Not worth a late night stay up to download. But it's sort of a habit.

Next up, Spike #1!!!

Zianna

Kennedy is talking about Theo, it's Buffy that thinks she's talking about Koh.

ETA

Full summary for Buffy S9 # 12 from Zianna.

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showt ... post632805

Ok, here is he summary.

I'm not going to transcript it this time, like Maggie said, too many tentacles.

Spoiler:

The issue begins with Theo's profile page in TinCan. He's the founder, he studied in NYU and now lives in Calidfornia. People are sending him messages, worrying why he doesn't reply back and where he is.

Theo is reading right now the chat of his site. W&H are talking with a demon. The only way for their investment to be protected is to kill Theo, and W&H give the OK for the hit. Buffy wonders if W&H know that he's reading their chat, Theo says he breaks the rules because they're trying to kill him using his site.

Last time that Buffy heard of them, they were getting of this dimension before she broke the seed and she wonders how can they threat to kill Theo since they are not in Earth's dimension. But TinCan works from hell dimensions. It's a social networking for demons. It doesn't use madic to work, but it's demon tech. W&H gave some start up money to Theo in exchange for embedding their code into his software. So a digital portal to their dimension was created before the seed was destroyed. Theo doesn't exactly understands how it works, but he's sure that if the connectin goes down now, it won't be able to get reconnect. The company will go up next month and Theo has already tried to delete the code, but it's too deeply embeded and he failed. The only way is to destro the server and erase Tincan's existence. The only problem is that by doing that, they will be wiping out data that belongs to millions of users and that they will be stealing billions of advertising. It's not so simple like turning off a website. Besides, TinCan is Theo's life. But if he doesn't do it, he'll be dead, and obviously so will many others, since Theo won't be the only one on W&H's hitlist.

Kennedy understands that it's a kind of corporate terrorism and refuses to get Deepscan involved into this. So everything must go under the radar, and everyone must follow her orders. And the server they have to destroy is underneath TinCan's headquarters.

Inside the headquarters. A security guard is sitting in front of his surveillance monitors. A tentacle pulls out a plug. The security guard search for the problem, and finds the plug, wondering what happened, but another tentacle kills him. Buffy is watching it from far away with binoculars. It's a Teuth demon. Back up will be needed, since this kind of demon is very big. Kennedy proposes some other slayers, Buffy has a better idea. And she goes to Koh, asking him to help her, calling in the debt he owns her in order to make him agree. So he does. (preview pages, not giving details).

Koh hasn't faced a Teuth demon in thousands of years and it won't be easy. Kennedy wonders if it's the right thing, letting Theo do that. Buffy says that he has to go with them, since he's the only one that knows how to turn the thing off. But kennedy is talking about destroying TinCan. Maybe Willow can use it to bring magic back. It's not that Kennedy wants her back, it's that she still cares about her. Plus it may also get some people off Buffy's ass.

Koh interrupts. They must hit on many fronts (tentacles...) so they separate. Kennedy goes with Koh (destraction team), Buffy with Theo (shut down team). Kennedy reminds them that she's in charge, and Buffy reminds Koh that that means he has to follow Kennedy's orders. They go inside and the fight begins. Kennedy and Koh try to destract the demon, but eventually the demon sees Buffy and Theo and also attacks them (has many tentacles, much too many). Buffy and Theo need help. Koh says that they must find the root of the demon and kill it, not the tentacles. They hear a voice "You can't win", it can't be the Teuth demon, it can't talk. It's W&H. They've connecte video chat to the security system, so they can hear them from their hell dimension. The root of the demon is where Buffy and Theo are, and Kennedy with Koh go there as well. Too many tentacles, even more than before, so Kennedy takes out a grenade and throws it inside a whole, from where the tentacles come out. And the demon is killed. "No matter what you do, we will find a way to stop you" says the voice again.

Theo is having second thoughs about it. He has spent his entire life on it, and everything will be gone. He doesn't care about the money, he created TinCan to change the world and nobody will understand him why he did that. Buffy can relate. She tells him that people will blame him, that he'll lose friends, but he will know that he did it for the right reason, to keep W&H out of our world and to keep people safe. But right before he destroys TinCan, Koh stops him from doing it. His honor ranks above the Nitobe code, and he can't have honor without revenge. So he betrays the team, and tells W&H that if they help him identify the demon that is responsible for his imprisonment, he will kill Theo for them.

TO BE CONTINUED.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:15 am

Preview pages for Spike # 1 of 5.They were released a few weeks ago by EW but since this comes out in two weeks,I'll repost them

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia ... ?aid=47145

SPIKE Goes Solo in Whedon's BUFFY Season 9 Mini

08 August 2012

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER: SPIKE #1 (of 5)
Victor Gischler (W), Paul Lee (P), Andy Owens (I), Jenny Frison (Cover), and Steve Morris (Variant cover)
On sale Aug 22
FC, 32 pages
$2.99
Miniseries
Having fought to regain his soul after falling in love with the Slayer Buffy, the once-terrifying vampire villain Spike has been a bit less fearsome (to humans, at least). On his own adventure, Spike is forced to examine the man he once was, the man he is now, and the man he still hopes to become.
As master of a steampunk ship filled with loyal, oversized alien cockroaches, Spike embarks on a journey to the dark side of the moon, setting into motion an adventure filled with demons, witches, and others who brew new evil in the world without magic!
• Spike visits the dark side!

Got a comment? There's lots of conversation on Newsarama's FACEBOOK and TWITTER!

ETA

I have my copy of Buffy S9 # 12.Grounded Part II of III.

Luck worked out for me.The last several weeks I haven't been able to get to my comic shop until Thursday.But things worked out today and I have my comics on new comic day.

This issue was slow.I liked the art.I liked little moments.I continue to like Kennedy(and how she still cares for Willow).It's interesting how Wolfram & Hart are back in the verse through another no magic loophole.Also I thought it was cool how Buffy was aware of Angel's & Spike's last encounters with them(the end of season 5,After The Fall and the IDW Spike miniseries)

I'm also glad to see Buffy defending destroying the seed.

As for the Koh cliffhanger.I do wonder if there is a fakeout coming or not but I'm more convinced than ever that Illyria is the demon that imprisoned him and that's how she'll be entering the story and I also wonder if that is what is at least in part what will bring Spike back into Buffy later in the season.

Overall though,it was a dullish issue.IMO
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to Angel