Jurassic Park: Redemption Issue Reviews by a Uber JP fan

Your favorite prehistoric creatures are coming back! Discuss Jurassic Park here.

Moderators: Ryall, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow

Jurassic Park: Redemption Issue Reviews by a Uber JP fan

Postby DarkRex » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:25 pm

Hey everyone. My name is Joshua, better know as DarkRex on JPtoys and _Veritas_ on JPLegacy.
I thought it'd be nice to get a die hard fan's veiw point on the comics, so here you go!

And YES- They do contain MAJOR spoilers for those who have not read the comics yet.

ISSUE#1

A rhythmic thumping echoes through an ally way, as you feel the ground shake. You look in all directions, yet see nothing… but you can feel it. Suddenly an ear splitting roar ring out, and you run for your life.
What is it? It’s none other than Jurassic Park: Redemption stomping into local comic book stores, as well as the basic storyline of said comics; Jurassic Park on the mainland.
Issue #1 of the new Jurassic Park comic series (which is being penned by Bob Schreck, and drawn out by Nathan Van Dyke) his comic stores in late June, and issue #2 is due in late July.

Now, a fair warning for all you readers out there- this synopsis and review does contain spoiler. So don’t grab a hold of the proverbial electrified fence and expect to not get shocked, because the power is very much on.

The basic premise of the story is that it has now been thirteen years since the original Jurassic Park incident on the island of Isla Nublar. Tim and Alexis Murphy have now grown up, and inherited InGen from their deceased grandfather John Hammond. As well as controlling InGen Lex has started up a company of her own called Lexxcrops, which we are told is the world’s largest supplier of organic vegetables (“I happen to be a vegetarian!”)
Tim, two years before are story actually starts, seems to be making some kind of business deal with some shady character at the beginning of the comic (who at that moment is still unseen until later.) And the plan involves the resurrection of dinosaurs once again, although Tim is assured by this shady voice that they will be sticking only to herbivorous dinosaurs this time, and no carnivores… especially no velociraptors.
Jump forward two years, to present day, and Lex is in front of the United Nations informing them as to why funding to keep people off of the Jurassic Park islands (Isla Sorna, and Isla Nublar despite neither of them being mentioned by name in the comic (they are just referred to by “the island(s.)”)) While rallying to get more money for protection of the islands, she informs the congregation that if dinosaurs were to escape from the island it could end in devastating effects to the world that could eventually lead to the demise of mankind.
Meanwhile, in a lab someplace near Glen Rose, Texas (population of 25, 000 people,) Dr. Henry Wu who is teamed up with paleontologist Dr. Backer (who bears an uncanny resemblance to The Lost World’s Dr. Burk, and/or the real life paleontologist Dr. Robert Bakker) are hard at work on… you guessed it, recreating dinosaurs. While working, the reader is informed of the fact that despite the “shady voices” promise to Tim about no carnivores, Backer is impatience to see these creatures (the dinosaurs) out in natural environments… “especially the carnivores.” While they are at work they get a call from our shady voice, who is basically running things it seems (and even going behind Tim Murphy’s back, as was found out by the fact that they are indeed making carnivorous dinosaurs.) The voice states that they are two months away from moving the “cargo” to the permanent habitats, and is checking to see if things will run smoothly.

Elsewhere, back with Lex, the reader is caught a glimpse at how charismatic Lex can be when she wards off a protester of hers (which it appears that she has many.)

Then it jumps back to Glen Rose, and you see a truck heading for a Dinosaur Valley State Park, after you are introduced to a character by the name of Xavier Delgado who seems to be the sheriff of Glen Rose. You also see a sign that states that the ‘Country Fair’ is ‘Coming Soon.’
After the story jumps back to the truck, it goes through a gate after gaining clearance, and you see that this place seems to be where the base of operations is.

The story then jumps back to Lex, who is now somewhere off the eastern coast of Costa Rica. While in flight the Pteranodons from Jurassic Park 3 make an appearance and are chased off by military jets.
Lex states that “they’ll never get them,” as she looks out an airplane window at the prehistoric reptiles.

‘18 hours later’ you are brought back to Glen Rose’s Dinosaur Valley Park, at night time. Here, a herd of Triceratops is grazing outside the holding compound in a field. When feeding time is over, one of the trikes (“Stubby”) refuses to go back. He/she (as it is not indicated) even bucks a red haired man away (that is, after she slams the * of his shot gun above the eye of ol’ Stubby.) The man gets up, and in Dieter like fashion, uses a shock prod to zap the trike into moving.

Later, Tim Murphy is seen at the opening of a Pachyderm Paddock in a zoo that is dedicated to the memory of John Hammond. This is probably a reference to the original novel, by the late Michael Crichton, in which John Hammond used to travel around the world with a pygmy Elephant.
A senator by the name of John approaches Tim, and he seems to be pretty peeved about a secret situation of some kind (which we all know what.) He demands to know when it’s going to start paying off, because he’s afraid that if something goes bad he’ll be found guilty with helping out. Tim assures him that the deadline is two months tops and that it will all be worth the trouble.

Later on, you see the shape of a Carnotaurus running through the dark… apparently on free roam (that is, after another short scene with Lex who is on the phone with Ellie Sattler, and states that she’s glad this dinosaur “nightmare” can be put behind them (which would lead one to believe that she either A.) doesn’t know of what Tim is doing, or B.) naively thinks as her brother does that nothing will go wrong.)
But anyway, this carnotaurus gets out. It apparently nearly ran over Wu, and escaped through an open door and is now on the loose. At this point Wu reports the break out to the shady voice, and we are finally given a figure to the voice. It’s a man in a wheel chair who either has his hair cut short or is balding. He seems to have a guard that is either the same person, or looks exactly like the one that follows Lex around in the story.
Oh, and here’s the kicker. While Wu is reporting this, Wu states that it wasn’t a matter of the Carnotaurus breaking through its cage door- because there was nothing wrong with it. Someone left “him” out. (The only reason I put him in quotations is due to the fact that there is no indication in the story yet as of if these animals are all female or both male and female. But they do call the carno a “him,” but that same thing happened in the novel as well (calling females “him” and such.))

The carnotaurus roams through the Dinosaur Valley park, and destroys the head of one of the life size robotic figures in the park (a sauropod of some kind to be precise.) At the same time we see a cut away of a rancher moving cattle around in a truck, either for personal farming reasons for possibly for the Country Fair that is coming.
After the carno rips the head off the robodino, a pack of Gray Wolves (four of them) approach the odd creature, circling it as if to attack. The carno grabs onto one of them and kills it. The other three run away in fright.
The story then cuts back to the truck, and it seems to be pulling over. The sound of the vehicle catches the carnotaurs attention. The cows in the truck are very unsettled by something, even after the owner tries to calm them down. But the driver also needs to relieve himself, and walks off to the side of the road. While he does this a dark figure suddenly rams the side of the truck, smashing a whole side of the cage the livestock are in and sending the driver flying. It was the carno. The carno then grabs hold of one of the cows and kills it and starts feasting on the body. The rest of the livestock get out, and it chases them away. But then it notices the fallen rancher and starts to approach…
But before it can get to the man, a car comes around the corner and its horn and bright lights scare off the dinosaur.
And that is the basic summary of events in Jurassic Park: Redemption Issue #1.

The story to me may not be a complex one (at least not at the moment. There are still five more issues left to go though,) but it’s very satisfying to me thus far. It seems very much like a fan fiction, which is all any comic book, really is anyway. Well, at least comics like these are.
I’ve seen stories very much like these come from fellow fans of the franchise, and the fact that someone like Bob Schreck would want to create/take a story like this and make it into a comic series (especially when nothing has been done with the Jurassic Park title in the world of comics since the Lost World’s adaptation, let alone a movie hasn’t come out in nine years) is an awesome thing to me.
This new story at the moment seems to just leave the other films where they are, and doesn’t even want to touch them. It makes subtle references to them, but all together has just taken up a new story completely and wants to focus on that story. Which is a good thing, in my opinion. It’s not trying to erase events in the previous films, nor is it trying to explain things or redo events. It’s just leaving them as they are.
And there are new questions to be answered. Foremost, who is this shady man? Who let the carno out, and why? How would the dinosaurs cause an extinction (will they introduce DX, or just by dinosaur destroying mankind?)

Also, a little side note I want to add. I love the fact that raptors have only been mentioned thus far, and not really shown (outside from the picture in the slideshow that Lex did for the UN.) It brings this whole story really back to the original feeling of the raptors. That they are THAT BAD. Tim doesn’t want them, and it feels as if that was his ONE RULE to this whole thing in the story, was that they CANNOT make raptors, but as we all know… they probably did. And they will probably show up in the end, and it will probably rock. It brings this whole thing into an old feeling of suspense about the raptors that we all loved about the first film, and that I have been waiting to see again.

Now let’s talk about the characters.
Let’s take Tim first. Seems to be a young man with a mission. Kind of like a young John Hammond, which I’m sure is what Bob’s intentions were. While reading the scenes with Tim, you defiantly feel a sense of the fact that he wants to make things right. He isn’t in this for the money (as he states in the opening scene, and anybody who knows the fact that anybody (especially the grandkids) who were close to John Hammond would probably be loaded) You feel like he wants to correct what has been done in the past. But he also maintains that naiveness that his grandfather has as well. He trusts a man that he does business with, yet doesn’t know much about him. He also, obviously, doesn’t check to far into exactly WHAT is being done. Otherwise he probably would have found out about the fact that they were creating carnivorous dinosaurs, and either fired someone of just pulled the plug. This is much like John Hammond believing that he can control everything, and have no repercussions.

Now Lex. She seemed to inherit the charisma of old Hammond. She is a public speaker, company owner, and obviously able to discuss and fix (at least minor) problems with people and reach understandings. But at the same time she is able to be harsh, and realistic. The whole embassy gathering scene where she is rallying to get more money to help guard and protect the islands is testimony to that.
And obviously she’s done enough in her life to piss some people off too. There is one scene where her guard references the fact that she has a lot of protesters. And later on, one said protester throws a head of cabbage at her limo, that’s been dipped in blood. True, she soon resolves the issue with the protester- but the fact that there are people that don’t like her remains. She has become into a very powerful person in the world, and has her own major company- Lexxcrop.

Wu. Oh, it’s so nice to see him back. Once he appeared, the nostalgia factor that was instigated by seeing a grown up Lex and Tim just flooded in. Seeing Wu back in the Jurassic Park game, even if he’s not going to be a major character (which I do hope he will be) but makes this all the more awesome. I don’t know why, it just does. It’s just like the small little references to Grant and Ellie through the book as well as bringing back (and somewhat explaining) the three pteranodons at the end of Jurassic Park 3. It just seems to make this feel even more like it’s a part of Jurassic Park for me.
Honestly, I’d love to see Wu die in this series like the way he does in the novel. That would be amazing to me! And IDW is known for publishing such violent like things in their books.

Backer. Not much about him really. He fills the role of Burk from The Lost World, that’s really all there is to it.

The worker with red hair, who hit poor Stubby. I’d love, absolutely LOVE, if this guy’s name turns out to be Ed Regis. Once again, just adding more of what was in the books into the franchise that hasn’t been used yet. Ed Regis’ role was filled up in the first film by Gennaro. Ed has never been in the series before and never really mentioned period after the first novel. This character seems to fit the hot-headedness of that character.
But the character in general, much like Backer is filling in for Burk- this red head is filling in for the Dieter Stark character in this story. An antagonist to the animals, that will most certainly get his behind to him, so to speak.

The sheriff. Although he had only one scene in this entire book, and it wasn’t even as long as ol’ red head, I’m almost positive that we’ll see more of him. I have a gut feeling he’ll be more of a Muldoon figure. Maybe not as awesome, or as knowledgeable of the animals in anyway, but he’ll fill the role as the hunter. A hard ass, who is willing to fight.

And then you have your mystery man. Someone who has a goal, which isn’t just to create dinosaurs for the enjoyment of people or for scientific reasons… it’s for money. This mystery person is greedy. And there have only been two people in the Jurassic Park franchise thus far who were like this, and who this mystery person might be.
The most obvious choice (as well as most likely) is Lewis Dodgson. Nothing has been seen or heard of this character since the first Jurassic Park films. BioSyn has just kind of vanished off the map in the franchise, yet there was still so much potential. Heck, Crichton’s entire second novel (The Lost World) was partly about Dodgson, and him gathering dinosaur eggs. That entire story was thrown out of the film and replaced with InGen being taken over by Ludlow, and Ludlow forming a team and extracting dinosaurs off the island and building a new park, and etc. The whole Dodgson story was only in the novel. Fans for a long time have wanted to see this BioSyn story brought up again, and Jurassic Park: Redemption brings forth a perfect opportunity to do so. It’s a new story, completely starting off new. A perfect time to reintroduce Lewis DodgPWNS… sorry Dodgson. (Sorry, I had to. Haha.)

And choice number two? None other than Peter Ludlow himself. I know most of you are probably, WHOA, WHOA, WHOA! Hold the phone! He died at the end of The Lost World. But just hear me out on this.
We all have been lead to believe that Ludlow has died, and there has been no reason to think he hasn’t died. But, there also isn’t a reason for Dodgson to be in a wheelchair logically either, is there? He’s only fifty years old. If you think about the end of The Lost World, the infant Tyrannosaur jumps on or near Ludlow, but we don’t know cause it’s all off screen. We then hear Peter scream in agony. The adult rex is quickly shot by a tranquilizer, and goes down subsequently some time after that. That leaves just Ludlow and the infant. The infant has probably done some substantial damage at this point (that is if Ludlow isn’t dead yet, but we don’t know CAUSE IT’S OFF SCREEN) including paralyzing him from the waist down. But if the adult is down, Ludlow could have somehow knocked the infant off fairly easy, because it still does have a damaged leg. Then the boat is filled with cages and an arrangement of places to hide, and Ludlow could have crawled to such a place. Once to the island, the adult would have gotten off the boat in as big of a huff as he did on the mainland, and the infant was probably sure to follow- leaving Ludlow behind.
The only reason I have with this, is why would he stay unknown for so long. But that question is pretty simple as well. He didn’t want to take responsibility for his actions. All those who died on the island and on the boat, all the damage in San Diego as well as all of THOSE people who were killed… Ludlow, from what we had seen in The Lost World did not seem like the kind of man who wanted to be subjected to what was in store for him when he returned home.

The dinosaurs in the first issue, are really just kind of there. This means you really don’t see a lot of action with them and there is no real build up to them. The only ones that gets major face time is the carnotaurus, and the triceratops.
On the pages that Wu is introduced you see him hand feeding what looks to be a small, young group of Apatosaurs. On the next page you see a picture of the entire holding center, and some vague outlines of animals in cages. On that page, if you look you see two pens with sauropods, one with ceratopsians, and one with animals that I cannot make out but are probably a hadrosaur species.
There is also the page that showcases the Pteranodons from Jurassic Park 3. These pteros DO differ in color, and in the fact that no teeth were drawn onto them but that’s about the same as Lex having red hair instead of blonde. It’s still the same Lex, and they are still the same pteros.
Also, on the same page that Wu starts hand feeding the apatos, an image on the screen of a reddish colored dinosaur can be seen. It’s probably safe to say that it is of carnivorous origin, due to the teeth it has and the fact that Backer starts talking of carnivores at the same time. But as to its species, that’s unknown. It could very well be a rex, but it differs in coloration than the rex that is seen earlier on in the slide show that Lex presents to the UN (which that rex is grayish/blue in coloration which is much like the coloration it has in the original Jurassic Park adaptation comics.) And on another page there is a picture of a GREEN rex on a newspaper Lex has. So the red dinosaur still is probably a rex, although it could very well be something else.
Raptors also make an appearance on two pages, although it’s the same picture. The colorations are a light brown, and there are three of them.
And on page two of the comic, there is a Protoceratops picture in a file Tim receives.

The art of [b]Jurassic Park: Redemption[/b] is probably the most debated and/or discussed thing about this new franchise. The art ranges from that of what you see in the comic, which is done by Nate Van Dyke, to that of Frank Miller who created one of the two covers for Issue # 1 (the Spinosauridae cover.) What you see on the covers is drastically different than what you see inside. The outside over is usually more highly detailed that what you find inside. Even looking and contrasting Van Dykes carnotaurus to the carnotaurus on the Tom Yeates you see some MAJOR differences.
Inside the actual comic, the art as a whole (to me) is a catch twenty-two. The overall feel is very dark, and moody, like most of the 30 Days of Night books which are also released from IDW Publishing. The lines are rough, giving it a sort of gritty feel, which I like.
It’s really not till you start looking at the dinosaurs you start to have some problems with the art. I can honestly say that NONE of the herbivores look bad to me. All of them, from the small picture of the Protoceratops to the apatosaurs and trikes, I don’t think any of them look bad. The pteranodons don’t look really bad either. They are not as good, but they really don’t look bad.
But it is the carnivores that seem off. All of them. The raptors, the rex, and the carno. The raptors probably the most, then the carno. The carno has many inaccuracies, and much of its head doesn’t look right. The one on the cover of the standard issue #1 is a lot better, but once again- don’t judge a book, if you know what I mean.
Don’t get me wrong- I’m not bashing the art at all. It was the first issue, and things do improve. If you look at the other comics, the dinosaurs mildly change appearance all the time in the issues. The same could happen here. There just are some minor problems with what has been done. It’s not a big issue, but it’s a notable one. It doesn’t take away from the story though.

So in the end, I defiantly recommend this comic. I am also greatly anticipating the other issues of the story. I actually found myself upset when I came to the last page of issue #1, literally saying “That can’t be it!” All knowledge of comics had gone out the door for me, and I momentarily forgot that that’s nearly how every issue of a comic series ends.
Thus far Jurassic Park: Redemption still seems to hold a lot of potential in its talons, and hopefully it will bite into that potential for the rest of the series, instead of just slicing it up.

ISSUE #2
Two months ago, after years of waiting, a new era of Jurassic Park was released. It was entitled Jurassic Park: Redemption, and in June of 2010 issue one of the five part series was released.
And on August 4th, 2010 issue two of Redemption stormed its way onto comic book shelves every where (with three variant covers. One featuring a Mosasaur leaping out of the water near a nuclear power plant created by Tom Yeates, and the other two were the same picture of a herd of adult Triceratops gathered in front of a vehicle (that has the license plate number of N-OV-02-10). The trike cover was created by Arthur Adams, and one variation is colored, and the other is in black and white.)

On the back of the cover it states that this is ‘Chapter two’ of the ‘Redemption’ story. It also has a brief summary of the first issue-
Last issue, while Lex Murphy was appealing to United Nations to keep the Jurassic Park islands off limits, hey younger brother, Tim, was busy trying to accomplish the exact opposite! Bothe survivors of the first debacle on Isla Nublar, each reacting in very different ways… Meanwhile, in the outskirts of the small Texas town of Glen Rose… a living, breathing Carnotaurus is on the loose! And he’s hungry…

Now, this summary is mildly misleading. Tim isn’t exactly trying to reopen the islands for visitors but instead he has teamed up with some shady person, who is unknown at the time, and is in fact recreating the dinosaurs that roam the islands and making a whole new Jurassic Park!

And that now brings us to the story of issue number two.

The opening begins with a very violent opening page, where the loose carnotaurs is essentially ripping apart the truck driver that was seen at the end of issue one (who was knocked unconscious by the carno at the end of the issue.) Blood is spewing everywhere on the page, and it was actually a nicely drawn page.
But as you turn the page you see that it was merely a dream of someone, who says he’s doing “the right thing.” That leads the reader to believe that this is actually NOT the other shady figure who is in the wheelchair, but yet the person who has let the carnotaurus loose (as stated in issue one) and will let other dinosaurs loose as you will read about later on.

Then it switches over to Wu and Backer in a chopper looking for the carnotaurus. As they pass over the accident site it switches over to the Sheriff Delgado (sheriff of Glen Rose.) He is surveying the accident site that has a mutilated cow near the truck. Delgado says it’s one of the worst mutilations he’s seen.
The truck driver is actually NOT dead, but confused as to what happened. He had been knocked out and didn’t see anything. Apparently a family of three ended up chasing off the carnotaurus and when the father tries to tell the sheriff, Delgado sums their story of some “big” creature up to the fact that they are just city folk.

The story then jumps to a page showing the Comanche Peak Nuclear Power Plant that is just north of Glen Rose. As the three employees inside debate about what are “true vampires” (a sort of classic vamps vs. Twilight vamps argument) a large crocodilian looking, green creature rams through gates in the water and swims towards the plant. Now, this is all you see of the creature. You never really see what it is, or told what it is. But due to the fact that the Yates issue has a Mosasaur near a nuclear plant we can infer that this is probably the said Mosasaur.

We then jump to Lex Murphy at Lexxcrops in Costa Rica. Apparently her facilities and crops near Glen Rose are being seriously vandalized. After getting a call about the situation she states that her company is to call the area and press the local sheriff (who would be Delgado) into upping police patrol. She also plans on going to the farms herself…

The story moves back to Wu and Backer in the lab/pens that are stationed in Glen Rose. They are on the line with the shady figure in the wheel chair it seems, who tells them that they had better get this creature recaptured. Wu and Backer also come to the conclusion that the carnotaurus must be a nocturnal hunter, and sleeps in caves during the day- thusly is why they couldn’t find him.

The story goes to the red haired man from issue one who is once again out with the trikes. After not paying attention and getting his foot crushed by one of the large herbivores he zaps the poor creature with a tazer. Then does it again, stating that it was “one to remember me by.”

The next page we see the carnotaurus awaken from its slumber and find a herd of white rhinos that are located at Fossil Rim Wildlife Preserve, where they are apparently trying to help save this species from extinction.
The carnotaur move on and quickly finds a man on page 9 and kills the man while the man’s son watches. This is the first human kill in the series.
Later Tim gets a call from the shady wheelchair man, and states that he is getting pressured by his people to get this project finalized and open to the public. Sound familiar people? Well it does to the shady man. The voice over the intercom says he understands all too well what Tim means and then goes on to assure Tim that things will be ready soon, and that he is even coming to the location to finalize it.

Delgado then finds more cattle mutilations, and at this point has teamed up with park ranger Jaamise, who is the purple haired park ranger from issue one.
Once again, the mutilations look horrible and the sheriff soon gets a call that something much worse has happened…

We then cut to the UK, where our shady wheelchair man boards a plane at 1:30 (P.M.) and at 7:30 (A.M) in Costa Rica Alexis Murphy does the same. Both have the same destination… essentially.
In New York at 8:30(A.M) Tim appears on a talk show, with a chimp. He goes on about how he is for animal protection, and how his had given his money to save animals (much like him giving money, and naming a pachyderm paddock in honor of his grandfather in issue one. He also states that he wouldn’t have the money to do such things if his grandfather, the late John Hammond, wasn’t such a brilliant man. The talk show host seizes the opportunity, and quickly starts bashing Hammond, bringing up Jurassic Park and all the lives lost due to Hammond’s dinosaurs. But the senator from issue one quickly steps in and pulls Tim away. He starts demanding answers, shoving a tabloid that talks of the mutilations in Tim’s face. Tim assures the senator he has no clue what it is about, and he truly doesn’t. And also apparently their company is also paying to have a pond close by stocked with fish for some reason, which Tim also doesn’t know about.
The story cuts to the farm house and Delgado finding out about the man who had been killed by something. The boy/son finds a tooth but says nothing. And also there were no remains of the man, but only a lot of blood.
The story cuts back to Tim and the senator. Tim is now determined to find out what is going on. He requests that a jet is ready in an hour to take him to the location.

Cut to the red haired man, who now has a brace on his leg due to the one trike breaking his foot. He is also carrying a bucket of chum and comes to a small cage, and starts feeding unseen animals inside of it. But he states that he isn’t going to feed them too much, because he needs them “nice and hungry.” And the animals inside are banging around…
We see that he, the red haired man, gets a sudden mysterious PA message that reads-
‘7 hours out. Get rid of him before then or hell to pay.’
It then cuts to the shady man in a wheelchair, who has apparently sent the message that the red haired man just got. What is going on?!
While he is 7 hours out, Tim and Lex are close to reaching the location.

Backer is now leading a dusk search for the carnotaurus, while Wu is back at the lab. We also see that the red haired man is also at the lab with Wu, and Wu suggests that “Dodgson” gets some sleep. Now we know that the red haired man is now Dodgson!
While Wu has his back turned Dodgson opens up the gate to the small metal box where earlier he was feeding some seemingly vicious and obviously carnivorous dinosaurs. As Dodgson leaves we see clawed forelimbs reach out and open up the gate of the holding box…

It then cuts back to Backer and his team who are in two different vehicles. One Humvee and one transport truck, which is for the carnotaurus.
Suddenly we see the carnotaurus burst from the forest close by and cause the transport truck to topple over and it explodes. The crash causes the Humvee to crash as well, and the carnotaurus wastes no time and attacks the Humvee- which has Backer inside! The carno kills one man inside, and Backer radios Wu for help, but Wu is seemingly doing the same thing- screaming over the radio for Backer to help him as well!
Delgado who is at a local restaurant hears the screams of the men in the Humvee close by, and the final image we are left with is the severed, bloody arm of Wu.

Holy CRAP! Wow! That is all I have to say. When reading the first issue I was mildly scared about how this series was going to turn out, and while the series could STILL take a turn for the worst, because there are three issues left, issue two has given me a whole new and refreshed hope.
The issue is action packed, and the story is finally going somewhere- and pretty fast I might add. The characters are already being brought together, and storylines and other mysteries are also being resolved while at the same time more are being presented.

But let’s break down some of the finer points, as I did in my issue one review.

I’ll start with the art this time.
The art, in my opinion has improved actually! It’s either that or the reader has just, by this time, became accustomed to it. But I feel that there are some really nice moments in here with the dinosaurs. The dinosaurs for the most part in the first issue seemed a bit off to me, especially the carnivores. But at least the carnotaurus has improved in issue two. There is actually a really nice image of the carno roaring on page 9 that is by far one of the best images of the series thus far. Also a dimetrodon makes a cameo and it looks quite nice as well, and the trikes look the same. Nice and effective, just as in the first issue (although we do see less of them this issue despite what the Adams cover leads the reader to believe, just as there has not been any Spinosaur/suchomimus (yet) as Frank Miller’s issue one cover would lead one to believe. )
The last page also has a nice image of the carno attacking the vehicle while Backer radios for help. It’s just as nice as the starting image of the carno attacking the truck driver on page one.

The characters are starting to be a little more flushed out. We see that Tim wants to do this to kind of… regain honor, or so I believe. Lex is totally clueless as to her brother’s intentions, and we also see more of her business/cooperate side in this issue where as in the first issue she just seemed to be hating on dinosaurs and Jurassic Park. It’s just reinforced that Delgado is the a-typical small town sheriff, although Jaamise is given some more time.

Now we’ll talk about Dodgson. Everyone- here you go. It’s Dodgson! He’s back in the Jurassic Park game, just like everyone has hoped for. But it’s not exactly as expected. He’s not really playing the bad guy like he did in Michael Crichton’s novel The Lost World, which is probably what most of us were expecting.
He is a bad guy, no doubt, in this story. He is the one who let the Carnotaurus loose we find out by the end of the story, he treats the dinosaurs bad, and he’s letting more animals out (including the ones who killed Wu.) But his reasoning behind it is weird to me. He has been employed by the wheelchair man, probably specifically, to seemingly sabotage this whole operation. Now… I can totally see Dodgson wanting to sabotage the project, but just for his own gain. I’m a little perplexed as to why he was hired to do it, and they just don’t have him do it out of maliciousness. But I’m sure it will be explained.

And now on to the wheelchair man. I’m sure it’s pretty evident that the man is most likely Ludlow by now. The man is from the UK, he speaks much like Hammond/Ludlow did in the films, and the line “I do understand, all too well…” really sticks out. Ludlow would understand how Tim feels. The InGen board was probably pressuring him as soon as he got head position of the company to exploit the assets of Site B (namely the dinosaurs.) He would have been pressured by his people, and that is what Tim is going through.
But as to why he is all of a sudden wanting to sabotage the project is still a mystery. Why would he want to do such a thing?
The only other person who would understand this is Hammond. And if the wheelchair man is Hammond, then that would be a total turn around! Not impossible, especially for a rich man- but completely hard to explain and unexpected! But… the interesting thing is, if it was Hammond it would make sence that this character would want the dinosaur to be loose.
Let me explain.
In TLW we see Hammond as a sort of activist. Ian Malcolm even states “You went from capitalist to naturalist in just four years… that’s…something.”
What if Hammond wanted to give the world back to the dinosaurs? Still a farfetched idea, but so was Ludlow’s return a month or two ago, and now THAT seems very likely.
But if Hammond faked his death and has been helping create these dinosaurs only to let them loose on the natural world so that the regain dominance. Once again, he knew what it was like also to feel pressure from his investors and the company to get things rolling. That forced due date was partly why things went wrong in the first place!
I’m not saying this is the answer, but it seems somewhat plausible. I still, at this point, strongly believe it’s Ludlow and I’m sure they’ll explain why he wants to sabotage the project in due time. But it’s fun to hypothesize!

Two last things.
The senator mentions a stocked pond, and Tim has no clue what he is talking about. Well Tim, as we see in issue one, thinks that they are only breeding herbivores. Well we as readers know otherwise.
The pond has to be directly related to the Mosasaur. Mosasaur is a carnivore, and thusly Tim wouldn’t know about it because that kind of a thing (stocking the pond so that the animal would have food) would have been kept from him.

And the small rattling box. I mean, when you read it- it’s pretty self-explanatory what the creatures are, although I’m not going to outright say it.
The fact that the box was shaking gives off a big clue, since it seems to be a clear reference to the first film. In fact, ever seen this box and the animals inside are in has a reference to the FIRST film.
The box shakes/rattles and things inside make noise.
All that’s left of Wu is an arm- which is very much like Ray Arnold.
And then the image of the creature opening the gate. Do yourself a favor. Pause the first Jurassic Park film at 1:48:49 and I’m pretty sure that answers what these creatures are.

But in short, I think issue two is far better than issue one. It has a more coherent layout, and now the story is finally starting up and the action is coming as well.
Brace yourself, because I don’t think this story is gonna be just another walk in the park!
DarkRex
Comic Book Guy

Postby GWolfV2 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:41 am

Veritas...I remember Veritas!

If he's Ludlow, the words Screw and You will be the first ones out of my mouth. Jumping le Shark
Unofficial head proponent of the If You Kill People Then Revive Them, You Make Killing People Pointless, Cheapen Your Comic And Encourage Me To Punch You Movement
GWolfV2
Transforumer

Postby DarkRex » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:46 am

I remember you as well GWolf!
DarkRex
Comic Book Guy

Postby GWolfV2 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:05 am

DarkRex wrote:I remember you as well GWolf!

Oh dear.
Unofficial head proponent of the If You Kill People Then Revive Them, You Make Killing People Pointless, Cheapen Your Comic And Encourage Me To Punch You Movement
GWolfV2
Transforumer

Postby DarkRex » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:42 am

Well, I finally finished my issues three and four reviews. Enjoy.
As always, there are MAJOR SPOILERS

Jurassic Park: Redemption ISSUE #3 Review

Issue two of Jurassic Park: Redemption left us on a massive cliff hanger. It seemed as though everything was going to start coming together, and major characters were being killed off already (Wu being first and foremost.) The carnotaurus was still on the rampage, and we found out that Dodgson (the red haired man who has been tazing the “trykes”) is in fact were the one who let out the creatures who killed Wu, as well as the one who had let the Carnotaurus out in the first issue. While Lex, Tim, and the shady wheel chair man are all about to converge on Glen Rose, Texas at the same time local sheriff Delgado is trying to piece all the pieces of the puzzle together himself and figure out just what is going on here in this small town. While the carnotaur continues to wreak havoc on the town and the nearby farms, a mosasaur also has escaped and enters the grounds of a nearby Nuclear Power Plant river system.
And that brings us to chapter three of JPR, released September 2010, the third comic in the five part Redemption storyline that IDW is publishing.

Issue three starts off automatically with Lex driving around in Glen Rose. She is here due to the fact that she has found out that crops that her company Lexxcrops owns are being vandalized in some way shape or form.
Meanwhile Tim has also arrived near Glen Rose. Both of the Murphy children have no clue that each other is in the area. Tim has come down to view the progress of the new Jurassic Park that he has helped build, as well as investigate the weird happenings of the area (cattle mutilations, etc.) As we have also read in previous issues, Tim has been trying to buy his grandfather’s (John Hammond’s) cane. You know, the famous one from the original Jurassic Park (and was actually seen in The Lost World as well) with the amber top. Tim is informed by his assistant over the phone that a Mr. L. Would is actually the one who had outbid Tim in the actuation for the cane.
Tim then gets a message that reads ‘I’m here.’ And this message is from none other than the shady cripple from England who has teamed up with Tim to recreate Jurassic Park. Or so it seems. As we saw in issue one, Tim was very avid about the fact that he did not want any carnivores to be made. The shady man on the other had has gone behind Tim’s back and has had the team create carnivores. And now they are killing people.
Then jump to Dodgson and Backer yelling back and forth to one another about Wu’s death. Dodgson swears he doesn’t know how the animals (which we find out from Backer are Gracilisuchus) had gotten out of their cage. After Backer leaves Lewis mumbles that he was glad there wasn’t much left to clean up- the Gracilisuchus devoured most of Wu.
Then it goes to Delgado and Jaamise in the Dinosaur Valley Park where they examine the two destroyed dinosaur robots that are on display. In issue two the carno has dismembered them, although the team doesn’t know this. Delgado explains that he has to leave to meet up with Miss Murphy, and leaves Jaamise to go talk to the wife from the first issue whose husband had been killed [by the carnotaur.]
Elsewhere in the park a group of kids go exploring around the park for caves, in hopes of finding dinosaur fossils. They find more than fossils; they find the carnotaurus. The carnivore roars, and the boys flee in terror.
Then Delgado and Lex, along with one of Lex’s workers (Jed,) are out looking around the vandalized crops. They find boot prints as well as trampled plants and larger prints of some kind. After the group splits up Lex stumbles upon something. The two men race over, and Delgado recites a well-loved Jurassic Park quote. “Now that is one big pile of shite.” Indeed, Lex has stumbled upon a large pile of feces, and the Jurassic Park survivor start putting the pieces of the puzzle together.
The next day, back at the compound where they had been making the new Jurassic Park dinosaurs, Backer finally meets the shady wheelchair man face to face (although the audience still doesn’t see the shady man’s face.) The shady man talks of moving onward with the project and Backer will have none of it- not yet. They are still trying to get ahold of the carnotaur as well as compensate for the loss of Wu. Suddenly Dodgson is called in, and it’s revealed that Dodgson has been working for the shady man for some time now. Lewis tazes Backer and preparations for Tim’s visit begin.
Cut to the nuclear plant, where a worker is strolling the grounds checking out holes that have been torn in fences. After he calls one of the latest holes in a flock of ducks on the pond fly away, and he is left alone. Then the mosasaur from issue two leaps up, and we see it for one quick splash panel hissing/attacking as the man yells.
Move on to the next day again, and a limo pulls up to the Dinosaur Valley Park where Jaamise is working. After asking if the limo is lost, the driver says that his passenger has an appointment with a Mr. Would, the passenger being Tim. Jaamise says she doesn’t know a Mr. Would, but then someone else pulls up and escorts the limo onward into the park.
The limo pulls up, and Tim walks inside. Finally Tim comes face to face with the shady man, yet the readers still do not (have to savor that suspense that’s building folks.) Tim is shown to the various herbivorous dinosaurs inside the compound (namely the Plateosaurus’ and Protoceratops,) but then asks about the strange goings on. Then a truck pulls up, and it seems as if they are going to move some of the dinosaurs, the plateosaurs. Then the shady man starts talking about how the teams have had to resort to feeding the animals on vegetation from local farm fields because Tim’s people have been late on payments, thusly revealing the fact that the dinosaurs have been munching on Lexxcrop fields.
Lex, the local police (including Delgado,) and Jaamise organize a stakeout. They want to find whatever/whoever is responsible for the mutilations. Meanwhile Dodgson is out with his group are on a feeding session with the plateosaurs in a field somewhere, much like he has been doing the past two issues with what he calls the “trykes” (or the triceratops.) A speeding car, driven by two of the stakeout men, comes around a curve that is close to the field. The car, and the honks that the driver give off alarm the herbivores and they stampede in the other direction.
Delgado and Lex search for whatever is vandalizing her fields, as well as what has been killing the cattle. The two are knocked over by a rhino that was, or so we are led to believe, a part of the herd of the zoo from issue two that the Carnotaurus attacks. After they get knocked down it starts to storm.
Cut to the driver of the cattle truck from issue one who is out with a buddy in Glen Rose’s bar getting drunk. Elsewhere the plateosaurs are storming closer to town.
Then it cuts to Tim, demanding to know what else the shady man has kept from him. He specifically had said before that they were to keep the dinosaurs away from his sister’s fields, but those orders had not been followed. So there must be more. The man assures Tim that everything is okay, but then takes off his hat, and a zoom in reveals the amber top to the John Hammond Cane. The shady man starts to insist that Tim stays, and Tim continues to say all of a sudden that he must get back to his hotel. Suddenly the bald man who follows the shady man around pulls out a gun on Tim.
Meanwhile the Carnotaurus is storming the country side in the storm. A hitchhiker is trying to get a ride and cars keep passing him. Suddenly the whole herd of plateosaurs charges past him, and soon after so does the carnotaur.
Then it cut back and forth between stories. The two drunken men are contemplating going home as it storms. Tim is advised by the armed bald man who protects the crippled shady man to get into a room in the complex, which they will probably lock him in. Cut back to town where the plateosaurs and carnotaur continue charging toward. The drunken men start for their cars just as the dinosaurs’ storm through. The carnotaurus crushes the truck driver’s friend’s car. A cop who was a part of the stakeout team views the whole thing. He radios it in to Delgado and everyone else, stating that “…dinosaurs are tearing up our town!” Lex, Jed, Jaamise and everyone else on the line all get the message, and then cut back to town where the carnotaurus has lifted up one of the plateos and kills it.
One final cut back to the shady man, who is no longer shady. For the first time we see his face, and he reveals his true identity. It is indeed Peter Ludlow, long thought to be dead but returned.

Well, that’s a summary of issue three of Jurassic Park: Redemption. On to the review part.
Issue three is a major turning part in the Redemption story line. The plot is has thickened, and foes have been identified although their motives are yet unknown. Between issues one and two the JPR story has been hit or miss with fans of the Jurassic Park series. Most of us have hoped that with issue three some of those hit/miss worries that were present would be taken care of, only to find that they still continue.
My issue two review praised the second comic. It was easily better than the first issue in my eyes. The story had developed, and the art had even gotten a little better it seemed. Issue three of Redemption seemed to take a step backwards, which was rather disappointing.
We know enough of the story to be able to tell the main points of the overall plot of JPR by now. For me it’s not the story so far that’s the issue, although it seems to be for some people. It’s the way it’s presented. Some people have criticized the Redemption story for being unoriginal or just plain stupid and unrealistic. Well I have seen many fans write up fan fictions for the Jurassic Park series that were very much like the JPR series, yet these stories were praised. I cannot help but wonder why. Bob Schreck basically claimed that’s what JPR was (his own fan fiction to continue the series.) And some elements are indeed nice to see, while others are starting to seem unneeded, and I cannot help but think it’s not the story but the overall way it is written in combination with the art.

Let’s start with the way it is written. They story is there, and it’s evident. But it’s almost as it they were forcing dialogue, unnatural dialogue, into the character’s mouths. The bit where Tim demands that Ludlow tell him what else he (Ludlow/the shady) has been hiding from him had me puzzled a little. Tim’s sudden rage at that moment was an odd outburst. Despite the fact that he had given orders not to feed the animals on Lexxcrop farmland it was indeed his (Tim’s) fault/his people’s fault that proper funding’s for food had not been administered and there for the keepers had to resort to feeding the animals on local land. Furthermore his outburst, I feel, needed more build up. So far it had been only the one thing that Ludlow had gone behind his back with (the one thing being the feeding of the animals,) and like I stated that was actually Tim’s fault as to why they needed to do so. So why is he already making wild accusations that something else is going on? True, he could still be thinking of a possible connection to the mutilations going on in Glen Rose, but he doesn’t really mention that past the point that Ludlow states that the stories are basically mute, and that they have nothing to do with it. Overall I don’t see why letting the dinos nom on local fields is warrant enough to say that this “stinks to high hell,” and accuse that there is more going on. I mean, the readers KNOW that there is more going on that Tim doesn’t know about, but had they put in another page or two of Tim finding some random documents on a carnivore species (say… oh, I don’t know, raptors?) it would give him a little more basis on having an outburst. And this happens a few times I feel in the story. It’s as if some of these people just make lucky guesses, just to get the story going faster. I feel that if the story had been slowed down a bit it would make dialogue like this go away pretty much. This type of dialogue is very… cliché I feel. It’s like watching a 50’s sci-fi movie where the hero is like “AH-HA! I know something’s up, now tell me!” Then the bad guys pulls out a gun “No! I will tell you my evil scheme in due time- but not yet! MWAHAHA! Now silence or I keel you!”
Other points are where there are supposed to be parts of dialogue that are, I would assume, supposed to be character development. But sometimes it’s just annoying. One part in particular is on page 10, when Tim’s limo pulls up then is led away and Jaamise calls Tim a butthead. Wait… what? The driver, nor Tim had in anyway acted like a butthead when they pulled up. They were looking for Mr. Would at the time, and then someone came and led them to him. They didn’t cause problems, nor did they harass her in anyway or start a fight. And they didn’t speed away. So why is she calling them buttheads? It’s just annoying and you kind of want to slap her for it, cause she did the same exact thing in issue one as well for no real reason. She calls the driver of a semi-truck a “nosey shit-kicker.” Why is she so annoying in this way, and someone needs to just hit her already.
Another flaw in some of the writing, for me anyways, are smaller little things that I noticed that are personal issues I have. Note that these are not like the issues above; these are just personal “hu?” moments I have. First and foremost being the fact that Tim has a meeting with Mr. Would, and he was not able to put two and two together. Early on in the issue he was told that someone by the name of L.Would had outbid him on his grandfather’s amber cane. And then he has a meeting. But when the driver of the limo pulls up to the Dinosaur Valley Park he states that Tim has a meeting with a Mr. Would. Wait, when did Tim and/or his driver find out the name of the shady man? And once more, you’d think that Tim would be able to make some kind of connection. A Mr. Would who is helping him out to recreate Jurassic Park… the man who outbid in on his grandfather’s , John Hammond’s ( the man who created the original Jurassic Park), was a Mr. L. Would. I don’t know; the connection that they are the same seems obvious to me. Another small thing is the random interjections of dinosaurs. Like the pteranodons from issue one that we have never seen/heard of again in issue two or three, or the mosasaur that has only gets fleeting mentions, and the freaking Gracilisuchus. I actually cannot express the fact of how upset I am that it was a group of Gracilisuchus (which we never really see outside the hands at the end of issue two) that were what killed Wu. First off, the hands at the end of issue two look nothing like the hands of a gracili. Gracili’s are small, crocodile like creatures. Secondly, why in the flying fig was it not a pack of velociraptors! It was a perfect opportunity to not only reference the original Michal Crichton novel, but introduce raptors into the story. The end of issue two was full of raptor references, what with the cage banging and only Wu’s arm left (similar to John Arnold’s arm in Jurassic Park.) But no, the cage belonged to a bunch of gracili’s that we never really see, and not velociraptors. Sigh.

Let’s move on to the final thing, which has been reviewed in the last two reviews as well. The art of JPR. First we’ll start with the covers. One done by Paul Pope of a Dimetrodon atop a vehicle at what seems to be an auto sales lot. The second cover was drawn by Tom Yeates, which features a Carnotaurus smashing through a building after a herd of plateosaurs. The dimetrodon cover is awesome, and is the one I own. The Yeates cover for issue three is actually the only Yeates cover that he has done for the Redemption series that I haven’t liked thus far. The position of the carnotaurus is weird to me. But other than that it is fantastically drawn and full of detail, typical of the rest of Yeates work that he has done for the covers of the JPR comics.
Now for the inside art. Once again, issue two had seemed to be moving forward in everything- and it seemed that even the art was looking better. But now it took a step back as well. Nate Van Dyke still does people fairly well in my opinion. Once again, I like his sort of gritty texture he provides. And the armadillo he draws on pages one and two is quite good. It’s just his dinosaurs that I’m still not pleased with. His plateosaurs are okay, and the Protoceratops that we see on page 11 is good as well and they are as good as the dinosaurs get in this issue. But even they seem to be lacking some detail that the previous issues had. Page 2 of Jurassic Park: Redemption issue one had a beautifully done Protoceratops. Look at that one, and then look at the one on page 11 of issue three. Although the form of the proto is still basically there, the detail it had in the picture in issue one is not. And the carnotaurus looks the same as it has, except on page 17 (which had potential to be a very epic shot, and still is kind of neat (…somewhat)) the carnotaurus’ head looks pretty blocky. The only new animal seen is the mosasaur, which ended up not looking at all what one would expect from the quick glimpse we get of it in issue two. In issue two we see a top view of the reptile as it swims toward the power plant, and it actually looks like what one would expect a mosasaur to look at from what we see. Cut to page 9 in issue three and the creature that we see has basically the same head as the carnotaurus except without the horns, and now has webbed feet. It’s nice, but not as nice as one would have hopped judging from the cover for issue five that had been released as well as the way that the mosasaur seemed to look in issue two.

Overall, issue three still leaves us with a sort of hit/miss feeling. We are not really any close to finding out what exactly is going on, or any motivations although it seems like a whole lot is actually going on in the book. The art remains at a constant blandness inside the comics, while the art outside on the covers entices us.

Jurassic Park: Redemption ISSUE # 4 review

Issue three of Jurassic Park: Redemption finally solved the mystery of who the shady crippled man who is helping Tim out in bringing a new Jurassic Park to life actually is, as well as explains a few other connections and events while leaving other areas of the story a bit cryptic. The shady man is Peter Ludlow we find out, who has been believed dead since the end of The Lost World. He was believed to be killed on the S.S Venture by the Tyrannosaurs inside. The characters of the story (Tim, Lex, Ludlow, and a few others) have all convened to Glen Rose, Texas where a carnotaur that has been bred by Henry Wu (who has been killed by a pack of Gracilisuchus’ that Lewis Dodgson, who is working for Ludlow, had set free) is on the loose and killing not only cattle but some people as well. Lex has come down to check out some vandalism on her companies fields, only to find that it is actually dinosaurs that have been making meals of her fields. Tim has come down to meet with the shady man, who he then finds out to be Ludlow at the end of the comic, about the mutilations and finds out that there is a little more than he expected… they have been going behind his back. At the end of the comic we are at last introduced to Ludlow, and we also are left with the image of the Carnotaurus chasing a herd of released Plateosaurs down the main street in Glen Rose.

Issue for picks up the next morning, with the capture of the remaining plateosaurs but not the carnotaurus unfortunately. Delgado, the sheriff of the town instructs for all unauthorized civilians to leave the area, and informs that “experts” are on their way to observe the situation (meaning that experts about dinosaurs have been called in) and that along with them state troopers, and the guard have been called in to help the town deal with the catastrophe. Jaamise accuses Lex of having something to deal with it, and Lex says she had nothing to do with it and that in fact she has been trying to keep something like this from ever happening again, which we had seen in issue/chapter one. Delgado quickly stops the argument stating that Jaamise is actually a prime suspect, since she works at the Dinosaur Valley Park where all the dinosaurs seem to be coming from.
As we turn the page we see the “experts” that Delgado had referenced driving up in a jeep with a semi-truck and choppers in later panels. Lex calls out to them, and we know that the two experts that have been called in are Dr. Alan Grant, and Dr. Ellie Sattler. The two are quickly informed that a carnivore (the carnotaur, although unspecified, is still loose.)
Jump back to Tim who is trying to deal with the fact that his Uncle Pete is still alive. He asks how, and Peter Ludlow is more than happy to tell the story. Apparently the military had actually left him for dead in the hull of the ship- thinking that the tyrannosaurs had indeed killed him. They were not going to even check. But after the adult rex had been tranquilized but Dr. Harding Ludlow had escaped somehow to an area where the juvi rex, or the “hell-spawn” as he puts it, could not reach him. InGen workers under his employ ventured into hull to find him, and subsequently rescue him, proving that you get what you pay for. Peter remained in hiding during this time; letting the government/everyone think he was dead. He apparently had numerous surgeries afterwards, but the doctors could piece all of humpty dumpty together again.
Meanwhile, a woman in Glen Rose is ready to leave her house with her daughter. As she backs out the car the carnotaurus attacks it, biting into the trunk and lifting up the back end- and we see that the carno is not completely nocturnal as what was originally though (for this is happening during the day.)
At the sheriff’s station Ellie, Alan, and the new Sergeant Schmidt are informed of what’s exactly going on. Lex begins to connect the dots, and figures that Tim somehow has to play a part of this whole thing in some way- much to her, Alan, and Ellie’s dismay. We also see that Lex had gained some land here thanks to Tim. A call comes in about the carnotaurus attack on the car, and everyone moves out.
Cut back to Tim, who is still completely baffled as to what is going on behind him. Ludlow humors him, telling him more of the story. Apparently Hammond had more than one backup plan (the original being Site B.) We are informed that Wu had actually smuggled embryos off Isla Nublar (or so we are led to believe it’s Nublar) before the original Jurassic Park incident. Talk about your perfect timing, because we all know what happened later on that night. After many years Wu had apparently kept ahold of the embryos and documents and Ludlow had contacted him in hopes of starting the project back up, and Wu was happy to oblige.
Move on to the country fair where everyone is apparently packing up due to orders by the sheriff. And at the town hall the carnotaur attacks.
Jump back to the Ludlow story, Tim finally asks the big question we are all wondering- why destroy it? Well apparently Ludlow is actually not a blood relative to John Hammond, but had in fact married into the family only to earn a seat at the table; only for personal gain. After the whole San Diego debacle, and after the government had left Ludlow for dead something inside him had snapped. He now wanted revenge on the whole United States as well as to destroy the Hammond legacy once and for all!
Meanwhile the hunt is still on for the carnotaurus in Glen Rose.
Go back to Tim and Ludlow, Tim is forced into a room while Dodgson is ordered to open the entire site one paddocks, letting all of the herbivore dinosaurs go. We catch a short glimpse of Backer waking up in one of the herbivore paddocks. Then Dodgson is ordered to open all the site two paddocks… the carnivores!
All of the herbivores stampede through the Dinosaur Valley Gate, where Jaamise had just pulled up. She is finally realizing what has been going on in her park. Lex and Ellie pull over on the side of the road a half mile away just as the herbivores charge toward them. The two pull out a map and decide to walk the rest of the way.
Back with Tim and Ludlow, Ludlow cherishes the fact that he is finally destroying the Hammond legacy once and for all. Tim seizes the opportunity when the bald body guard that Ludlow has turns around to look at his PA. Tim lunges forward, and snaps the amber cane tip off, which had been used to move the wheelchair Ludlow sits in around. He takes the amber rock and whips it at the bald man’s head, knocking him out. Ludlow’s wheelchair has lost control as well, and Ludlow is spinning around the room wildly as Tim escapes.
Meanwhile back at the country fair, a worker is looking for a fellow employee only to find something inside the main tent that is very unhappy.
Back in Glen Rose Delgado is looking for Jaamise while the truck driver from issue one is feeding a plateosaur.
But to Lex and Ellie coming to the entrance of the Dinosaur Valley Park where a man is telling them they are going the wrong way, and Jaamise seems to be waiting for them. What appears to be an Allosaurus is also chasing away a herd of sauropods. When Jaamise runs up to Ellie and Lex, Lex punches Jaamise in the face, knocking her out cold.
At the country fair the carnotaurus is rampaging through the area after remaining people.
At the dino valley park Tim pulls up to find Ellie and Lex with an unconscious Jaamise. He tells the two to get in the jeep that he had taken, and as they turn around a Triceratops smashes the vehicle to bits.
A helicopter in the sky has located the carnotaur, and Grant and the sergeant are driving around looking for it and circle around. Grant briefly mentions the fact that they are wanting to, if possible, capture these animals and return them to one of the Jurassic Park islands, as well as figuring out who is responsible for all of this.
Another chopper calls in a new batch of dinosaurs that Grant and Schmidt run into. It’s the herd that’s being chased by the allosaur.
Cut to a bunch of shots/images. You see a pair of raptors that have two people trapped in a jungle gym. A ceratosaur is ripping something apart. And then a lone velociraptor I believe is chasing a bunch of corralled horses.
Meanwhile Lex, Tim, Ellie, and the awakening and angry Jaamise are left at the entrance of Dinosaur Valley. A lone herbivore (plateosaur?) charges up, only to be knocked out with the * of a gun Lex has. A cop pulls up, taking the group away.
Cut to shot of a carnivore, the lone raptor I believe, roaring with an eyeball flying from its mouth as horses gallop away in fright.
In Glen Rose all people are ordered to go indoors.
At the Dinosaur Valley Park, Lewis Dodgson races towards the cop car that leaves him in the dust. He momentarily wonders how he is going to get out of there, just before a triceratops (Stumpy?) come from behind and impales his shoulder.
Move back to Backer in the compound finally awake, and wondering what has happened. He finds Ludlow in the room alone, and rolls the Gracilisuchus cage towards the door. He quickly tells Ludlow to say high to Wu for him, and then unlocks the cage door…
Back in Glen Rose Grant and Schmidt have entered the town. The allosaur knocks over the vehicle, killing Schmidt. Grant stumbles out of the car just as pair of carnivores (allosaurs?) chases a herd of horses down the main street. An allosaur turns on Grant chasing him. Alan Grant stumbles over a trash bin, and the Allosaurus rears to attack.
Next you see a lasso come into the frame, and Backer gives out a “Yee-Haaaa” as he lasso’s the Allosaurus Gwangi style in the last picture of the issue.

Okay, first off… I have to reiterate that I applaud IDW, Bob Schreck, and Nate Van Dyke for caring enough about the Jurassic Park franchise that they wanted to create Jurassic Park: Redemption. I thank them whole heartedly for wanting to do something for/with a series that hasn’t really been messed with in any form of media for years. Thank you very, very much for caring and I as major Jurassic Park a fan adore you for it which is why I will continue to support your work.
And now on to the rough stuff; this is a review after all….
This issue only seems to validate what I said in my review of issue three. The story line itself, for the most part, is not the problem- but it’s the way it’s being conveyed to the pages the readers see. Problems with the art as well as the dialogue and finer points of the story have started to mesh it all together into a mess in issue four. There were actually parts where I had to stop and re-read a few times each time I read the issue to make sure I was reading it right, and there are images here that are almost impossible for the reader to tell what dinosaur they are seeing.

We will start right off with the story once again. The story still following the major theme of the series thus far. Ludlow has helped Tim recreate the dinosaur of Jurassic Park, but whereas Tim was wanting make the name of Hammond good and right once again Ludlow is out to destroy it… along with the United States government? Government I can kind of see. They did leave the guy high and dry in the hull of the boat, but Hammond had nothing to do with it. By the Lost World, Ludlow had complete control of InGen; he had taken control of InGen from John Hammond. He had everything. And it was his InGen employees who had found him and saved him. So why is he wanting to destroy the Hammond name? He basically did that already, along with the Ludlow name I’d assume, with the whole San Diego fiasco. His hate for the Hammond family is unjustified to me. Hammond is dead, and had nothing to do with what had happened to him. If anything he should want to kill Ian Malcolm and Sara Harding.
And I originally wasn’t very fond of the idea of Ludlow not being Hammond’s biological nephew. Although it seems somewhat plausible now, I still don’t really like it. I wish that a little more of how Peter had come to work for Hammond and for InGen had been told then, how perhaps Hammond had taking a liking to the man offering Ludlow a job only to ultimately be stabbed in the back by Ludlow- which seems to be exactly what happened, but the reader has to really think about it to fill in those gaps. Personally I think a panel or page to explain it is not too much to ask.
Next is Dodgson. Why the heck is he working for Ludlow? What happened with BioSyn? You know, the whole story would make more sense if it went like this. Tim started creating dinosaurs again with this shady man, who he later finds to be his uncle. Tim is shocked to find his uncle still alive, but Ludlow is only out to finish what he started and reap the benefits of it all. Lewis Dodgson on the other hand is the main bad guy. BioSyn has since gone under as well, with a failure to produce anything substantial in years. Blaming the failure on InGen Dodgson gets a job (perhaps under a new alias or something) for this new InGen that’s run by Peter and Tim. To sabotage the whole thing he sets all the dinosaurs free, and the Jurassic Park chaos hits the town of Glen Rose, Texas. Personally that was a little more of what I was expecting. The whole idea of Dodgson actually working for someone other than himself is odd to me, because that’s not the vibe we get in the film and it’s defiantly not the vibe we get from Lewis Dodgson in the novels by Michael Crichton. But now he’s working for Ludlow, who wants to ruin the Hammond name for really no reason which is something Dodgson would have gladly done to InGen, a rival of the BioSyn Company, years ago.
Then there is Alan and Ellie. They are just random. Sure they fit, but they are unneeded. With exactly like what Dodgson is- it’s just a famous character that people would like to see that’s been thrown in. It doesn’t matter if they aren’t really needed it seems, let’s throw them in. I will say that Alan and Ellie are a little more justified to be in the story that Dodgson’s character, but why both of them? In Jurassic Park 3 it seemed like Ellie wasn’t even into paleontology really anymore other than writing books and probably some lab work. And Grant had escaped Sorna at the end of JP3 by the skin of his teeth. So why are the two of them going to Glen Rose now to deal with this, specifically Ellie? I can maybe see Grant going, but Ellie has a family and such. Why would she go? I would have expected Grant and Billy or maybe even Grant and Sara Harding to be the experts to show up. I mean, it’s nice to see Grant and Ellie in the scene again, but that’s all it is- nice. It serves no real purpose other than to showing two of the most famous Jurassic Park character’s again. I will say I did chuckle when Grant was having troubles with his seatbelt. Little nods like that to the films, which the JPR books are full off, are fun.
Next is the general way that events take place as well as the dialogue. Once again, as I stated in my issue three reviews, it’s as if they are trying to make a 50’s sci-fi type comic. The action as well as the dialogue the characters have plays out as such, kind of corny and cliché. It’s nice if that’s what the creators want to do (create a 50’s dinosaur sci-fi throw back.) By all means go for it, but not with the Jurassic Park title please. JP, to me, needs to be a little more thought provoking and handled with a little more care. Throwing in moments that are like “MWAHA, that is my master plan,” followed by a “you’re insane” line (which does indeed happen in issue four folks) is just odd to read. I find it hard to believe that anyone in the Jurassic Park world, let alone in real life, would really react to situations like this. And Tim’s escape was almost laughable.
Next were the dinosaurs. And I’m not sure if it’s the art or the way it was written. But near the end of the comic, there is just way to much way to fast. There are too many dinosaurs just popping into the picture with no explanation or build up at all. And once again the pterosaurs were missing in this issue, which I have gotten used to, but the mosasaur was also missing as well. And the velociraptors, ugh, I’m still upset about them. The first issue of the series built up the raptors perfectly. I was so happy to see the raptors be treated as these terrible and horrifying beasts again (the time being when Tim makes sure that no raptors were being created in his new park.) It brought that feeling of dread that the first Jurassic Park film as well as The Lost World had about the raptors back that I loved and wanted so badly. Yet, when they finally appear in the series- it’s not scary at all. I turned he page to see two of them just circling two people that are in a jungle gym. No scary build up like in the films, no other mention. Nothing.

And as always, there is the art. Two different covers were created. One was done by Tom Yeates, as always, and it was of a pair of carnivorous dinosaurs (which were originally thought to be Acrocanthosaurus by fans, but is in all actuality probably the Allosaurus seen at the end of the comic) attacking a car and a woman on the second floor of a house as well. The second cover is drawn by Bernie Wrightson, and is of the Acro/Allo entering an alleyway and a woman lying on the ground in fear off to the right of the page. Both covers are very nicely done, although I slightly prefer the Yeates cover over the Wrightson. I like the action that’s going on in the Yeates cover more so.

Then, as always, there is the inside art. Once again, it seems just as repetitive as before. The plateosaurs look the same as they always have, as to the triceratops. My biggest issue once again is the carnivores. Page three and nine gives us yet another glance at Tyrannosaurs, are third view actually (issue one has two different views/colored Tyrannosaur images that appear in newspapers and on a computer in the lab.) Both of the tyrannosaurs in the image on page three look like the carnotaur except without the horns.
The carnotaurus is huge, but we have already established that. It’s probably as big as the rex in JP3, perhaps a tad smaller- but not much. Bigger than any known specimens of Carnotaurus that we have today. The arms are also way too long, rivaling the length of an allos or a spinosaurus. You can see them on page seven of the comic when it attacks the town hall at the bottom of the page. WAY too big to be carnotaur hands. Perhaps it was something else, maybe even a spino? Perhaps, but no other animals had been released at that point in the story, at least no carnivores that we know of. Plus in past issues the carno’s arms were way too large as well.
All the carnivores actually look pretty much the same, which leads into one of the biggest problems of issue four- the fact that near the end you can never really tell what’s going on. It seems like all the carnivores blend together, and that images/panels are actually missing. It’s annoying to read. There also seems to be a whole bunch of unidentified sauropods as well. The plateosaurs had been released in issue three. So what are the other sauropod like dinosaurs that were released by Dodgson? And why do we only see them and trikes as far as herbivores go in this issue? What happened to the Protoceratops, and the others that were vaguely seen in issue one? And what happened to the dimetrodon we saw in issue two? Then going back to the fact that the carnivores blend together, it seems like the only way to tell these animals apart is by distinctive markings or ridges/horns, which seem to come and go as the frame pleases in the case of the allosaurs. It makes it very confusing. The reader doesn’t know if these animals are supposed to be tyrannosaurs, because they look like the rex we saw before. Bu then they also look like overly large raptors as well- except without the hook claw. But the raptors that trapped the jungle gym guys don’t have distinguished sickle claws either that the ready can see, nor does the one that chasing the horses. So are they raptors or some other small carnivore? And if so, what are they? And what is the thing that’s roaring on the bottom of pages eighteen and nineteen? Is that a raptor as well, or is it that Ceratosaurus that’s only seen once at the top of the page in the middle eating something? It was the only one on the two pages that was eating something, so maybe that’s it- but if so, what happened to the horn? It must be a velociraptor, but when did it kill a horse? Jump to page twenty-one and the two allosaurs are chasing horses now. Wait, there are two allosaurs? Or are those raptors? That one raptor was chasing a horse, and the allosaur before was chasing the sauropods. But it’s too big to be a raptor, it knocked over a car. But the carno is far too big as well. Well the next/final page you see one of them lassoed like Gwangi, so it must be an allosaur. But you, the reader, are still unsure. It doesn’t look like any allosaur you’ve seen. In fact it looks like the tyrannosaur, and the mosasaur head, and the raptor head from pervious pages, as well as a carnotaurus head with no horns. It all looks the same. Heck, it even looks like the head of the dimetrodon in issue two.
You might be thinking “where is he getting allosaur from.” Two places actually. Once is the blatant Gwangi reference at the end of the issue. Two, is on page fifteen. Box four. It does indeed look like an Allosaurus, at least to me anyway. Actually, that allo has to be one of the best carnivores so far in the entire series. Had more of them been drawn a little more like this, a little more… distinct, I don’t think we’d have as many problems.
But while we are on that image, look to Lex and Ellie as well in the same image. Um.. why are they walking? Once again, I’m not sure if that was the way it was written or if that was the way the art just came out. But there are large, stampeding herbivores as well as an Allosaurus running pretty close to you. Wouldn’t you be running as well, probably towards shelter of some kind? Nope. Let’s take time to sucker punch the purple haired lady (although she did indeed deserve it.)

Issue four is a jumble. It feels as if they are just trying to force the story and art out at this point, with no real attention or care really. I feel that if more time was taken to avoid some of these problems, we’d have a better issue as well as an overall better series.
So far the series has been a mess of emotions, more bad than good for most people. But we still have one more issue to go in the Redemption story. We will see how this series concludes. But I can already see some of the animals escaping, because in January series two of IDW’s Jurassic Park titles is being released. Devil’s in the Desert picks up where Redemption leaves off, and it looks like a few of the dinosaurs from the new Jurassic Park slipped away and are wreaking havoc on nearby towns and farms. Very much like the end of the first novel, where some of the animals (unknown species) seemed to have survived the destruction of the island, and are now wandering around in the jungles and fields of Costa Rica. Except this sounds like it has a bit of a Tremors vibe. Hopefully the new four issue series will be pretty good. High hopes.
DarkRex
Comic Book Guy

Postby DarkRex » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:31 pm

I’ve tried to postpone this review for as long as I possibly could, due to the fact that I did not want to have to revisit the fifth issue of Jurassic Park: Redemption again after having read it the first time. But with issue two of Jurassic Park: Devils in the Desert out now and issue three on its way soon I felt that my series of reviews for Redemption had to be brought to a final close with an issue five review and an overlook.
So here it is. Hold on to your butts.

By this point in the story all Hell has broken loose in the town of Glen Rose, Texas. Sheriff Delgado, Tim and Alexis Murphy (or Alexia as the first issue of Redemption stated,) Ellie Sattler, Dr. Alan Grant, Jaamise, and Dr. Backer are all rushing around the town trying to round up the dinosaurs that have escaped from the facility that they were being bred for a new Jurassic Park.
The first page picks up right where issue four left off with Backer lassoing an Allosaurus that was just about ready to nom down on Dr. Grant. Two military officers used special guns, apparently, that use sound waves to help bring down the beast. Officers go around the whole town helping take care of the plateosaurs/herbivores from previous issues.
Meanwhile Tim informs Lex, Ellie, Jaamise, and Delgado of Ludlow still being alive. When they get into town Lex immediately grabs two huge herbivores by the necks and leads them forward (wow, Lex must have some muscles or is just very persuasive,) and a third on bites her on the ankle. Lex and Tim bicker about the whole situation, and Ellie shuts them up as an Oviraptor darts past. Where did an Oviraptor come from? I don’t really remember seeing one of them escaping from the last issue. Grant lassos the Oviraptor just as another herbivore starts chasing after a young child. Sheriff Delgado lassos the herbivore around the leg and takes it down.
Suddenly a new, large, three fingered carnivore of some kind starts chasing Tim down the street. Jaamise uses the sound wave gun and the carnivore roars. Then it bites down into Delgado and hurls the man as a car comes to a halt next to the beast. The carnivore just casually walks away as Jaamise walks up and says “I have you, now…” to the sheriff.
Something else roars in the distance and stomps closer to the town. Tim says “I have a really bad feeling about this. It’s not another T-Rex is it?” Whoa… wait. There was a Tyrannosaur? Where did I miss that? You mean that three fingered whattheheckisit-osaurus at the top of the page? Was THAT a Tyrannosaur? Ugh, anyway. The unseen beast roars again and as we flip to the next page we see that it’s a Giganotosaurus! Well… actually Grant has to tell us. It doesn’t look any different than the allosaur, or whatever that three fingered thing was on the previous page. But yes, a Giganotosaur storms onto the scene in full force and fury.
Back at the nuclear plant the mosasaur comes rushing from the water towards a window and a man in the building pulls the alarm. In the town the giga hears the alarm and is attracted to the sound. Apparently, according to Grant, the giant carnivore thinks the alarm is its mate calling to it. Let’s pause for a brief moment to ponder this.

Now let’s continue.
Back at the lab at the Dinosaur Valley Park, Ludlow is trapped inside the room still. Backer, in the previous issue released the Gracilisuchus which manage to, I’d guess, break into the room and tear at Ludlow as he screams “Nooooooo! Not again!”
On a ranch somewhere we see a pack of vicious Velociraptors, I’d take to be the Nublar species. They attack a herd of steer.
In town the deputy, Ellie, Grant, Lex, and Tim all huddle in the local bar. The people talk about stopping the siren. Flip the page the sheriff’s office is destroyed. They decide to take vehicles up to the plant to stop the giganotosaur. The giga goes after a lone cow as the survivors drive off. Then the giganotosaur… kills some random guy? Wait, wasn’t it just following a cow?
A man at the power plant calls for help as the mosasaur stalks outside. As the deputy, Tim, Lex, Grant, and a soldier race towards the power plant Ellie and Backer help the others round up the remaining dinosaurs. We see “Stubby” the Triceratops again being loaded into a truck. Flip the page and a pair of raptors attacks the trike, and one gets a horn through the head. A third raptor attacks backer and bites him.
At the power plant the Giganotosaurus finally appears, then disappears just as the trucks race by. Lex spots the Mosasaurus. Grant and the soldier’s truck is suddenly rammed into by two random Pachycephalosaurs that race onto the scene. Lex drives their truck right through the power plants gates. They get out and race up to the building.
In town Ellie gets the raptor off of Backer, or so we are lead to believe I guess.
At the power plant the giganotosaur charges towards the deputy, Tim, and Lex who are trying to get into the building. It roars and the deputy takes off, and Tim asks “Why do they always just cut and run like that?” Lex tells Tim to stall the beast. Inside the man in the plant sees this entire event taking place outside.
The mosasaur attacks the deputy and kills him. Tim hops in a truck and rams the giga and then it starts chasing him. Ellie and Backer are rushing to the scene. Lex “hacks” into the building again and says to turn the alarm off.
Tim rams the giant carnivore again. The giga knocks the truck over, and it starts on fire. Then, out of nowhere, raptors attack the giganotosaur. Lex comes outside and Tim escapes the blazing truck perfectly fine. Ellie pulls up with Grant in her truck now (I guess the soldier didn’t make it?)
The giganotosaur goes into the water now, trying to fight off the raptors. Then the Mosasaurus attacks the Giganotosaurus and the Velociraptors retreat (to where, the reader has no clue.) Transport trucks appear and Backer comes around again telling Tim he has something for him.
We see that good ol’ Sheriff Delgado is good and well and asks if everyone could just “go home now.” Then a lone soldier is seeing wrangling up two plateosaurs.
Lex says there is a place Tim and she should visit. Jump forward two weeks and they are at John Hammond’s/ their grandfather’s grave. There Tim leaves the amber top to Hammonds cane which he had broken off earlier, and we can assume is what Backer gave back to Tim (although the exchange was never seen.) Lex tells Tim we are all human, and everyone makes mistakes, and that their grandfather would be proud that Tim tried to “right” his “wrongs.”
Then it reads ‘The End.’

Really? That’s it? THAT WAS IT? The big finale? The big finish to the first Jurassic Park comic series in umpteen years was THAT? Seriously? I for one could not be more disappointed in this issue, and this issue alone caused me to dislike the entire story arch of Jurassic Park: Redemption. When I said I wasn’t looking forward to reviewing this issue that is exactly why.
Why you may ask (if you didn’t get all the problems from the summary I posted.) We’ll I’ll tell you why.

Let’s start off with the art. A horrible story (which is what Redemption was) can always be saved by amazing art I feel. I’m sorry, the following might be really harsh and I do apologies because at least Nick Van Dyke tried. So hats off. But personally as an artist you should know where your strengths and weaknesses are… and dinosaurs is your Achilles heel my friend. Actually all the art in this issue was horrid. I don’t know if they just stopped caring or what the deal was, but the art through the entire series just seemed to be digressing. From issue one to two there seemed to be some improvement but after that it went downhill REALLY fast. The dinosaurs were a constant problem. It’s a JURASSIC PARK series, a series that’s devoted to dinosaurs. You’d think they’d want the dinosaurs to actually look good! Half the time you can even tell what dinosaur you’re looking at on the page. Almost all the carnivores look the same and you have to uses identifiers like a curved claw on the foot or webbed hands to tell them apart. And even then you’re confused. Seeing the raptors in this issue had be asking what the heck were the raptor looking things in issue four, because these were smaller than those. And also what happened to the carnotaur, and the ceratosaur (which we’ll cover later.) The mosasaur is horrible and looks more like a mutated version of the already horrible giganotosaur. The Gracilisuchus don’t even look like Gracilisuchus. And what was that large three fingered carnivore at the beginning, a Tyrannosaurus? Another Allosaurus? WHAT? You seriously have to wonder if they even looked at dinosaurs for inspiration when doing this, or even looked to the Jurassic Park films for guidance. And the people have nearly no emotion what-so-ever through the entire series. Their bodies are blocky and uneven at parts. This series is also true testament to the warning to not judge a book by its cover. All of the covers for the entire series are great, especially compared to the art that awaits the reader inside. The only cover I ever really had a problem with was the Cover A for issue five by Tom Yeates, but even that was outstanding compared to the art that was actually a part of the story. But all the covers for the Redemption series were really well done. I honestly don’t understand why they couldn’t have gotten Yeates, Stout, or someone else to do the art for JP: R. It was just bad, plain and simple.
Then there is the story/writing. The dialogue continued to grow even campier in this issue to the point of being ludicrous. Lines like Ludlow shouting “No, not again!” or Backer saying “Well, it’s certainly true what they say about Texas… everything IS bigger!” when he sees the giganotosaur. Tim referring to Gennaro leaving them in the original Jurassic Park, Grant saying the giga thinks the siren is a mating call. It’s almost as if they were trying for a funny tone when they wrote out the lines for this. And then the random serious moment between Lex and Tim on the last page was just out of place because of all the random campy lines. The reader couldn’t concentrate on the situation because of everything else they had just read. Then on top of bad lines you just have randomness everywhere. I don’t know if it was scripted this way, or if there was no talking between the artist and the writer, but this comic (and series as a whole) had enough cuts to make Michael Bay’s head spin. It was crazy how it just jumped around and how there never seemed to be any real set direction. First there is one thing, then another thing happened, and then all of a sudden a new dinosaur was inserted for no real reason. I mean, the raptors appeared three times in the story FOR NO REAL REASON other than to be like “yep. There are the raptors.” The oviraptor was random, the pachycephalosaurs were random. EVERYTHING was seemingly random. This comic book series should have been entitled I Was Right: The Story of Ian Malcolm’s Chaos Theory, because everything was so freaking unpredictable and random in this story- and not in a good way. The twists and “shocker” moments were predictable in the story. This had horrible cuts and overall arch that had no direction, which ruined it. And the ending was the worst part. After reading it the first time I just sat in my chair for about five minutes debating if I wanted to throw the issue away I was so frustrated. It just ended with no explanation AT ALL. Where did the raptors go? What happened to the rest of the animals like the rex/whattheheck-osaur, carnotaur, ceratosaur, Giganotosaurus, Mosasaurus, and everything else? NOTHING was explained, it just ended.
That’s it. I’m done with this issue. After reading it I feel like all my thoughts are so jumbled up and I’m amazed that I can even complete a thought. Every “wrong” in this issue ties to another “wrong” and it just seems to be a vicious cycle. In the end this may have turned out to be the worst Jurassic Park comic issue ever released for any series. The only redeeming quality about it was that it was the end.

So let’s look at the entire series, which is now on sale in a complete graphic novel version for anybody who is still interested in buying it (I’m debating if I want to waste the money, which truly that’s what it would be. I’m a collector of Jurassic Park, and feel a need to buy anything with JP stamped on it… but this series is just too aweful.)
The series started off modest enough I feel. The first two issues showed some promise of a fair Jurassic Park comic series. Maybe not the greatest, but better than some. Issue three came about and left the readers with an “up-in- the-air” feeling I think. The readers felt that this series can now either go a really good direction or a really bad direction. It’s sad to say, but they went for the latter. This series nosedived after issue three and turned into what is probably the worst Jurassic Park comic series made, mainly for issue five. It threw film, and previous comic canon out the window tied to six pounds of C4 and obliterated it till there was nearly nothing left.
I am thankful that IDW gained interest in Jurassic Park, truly. And about the only redeeming thing about Redemption is the fact that it paved the way for a few more JP series that are set to be released (including Devils in the Desert, which (thus far) seems to be one of THE BEST Jurassic Park comic series’ ever made!) But that is all. Nothing about JP:R is amazing, or stands out. I’m actually kind of embarrassed that it has Jurassic Park in the title. I feel that maybe the creators were on to something… and just went a bad rout with their ideas. The series was put together like a horrible B-rated film that would make something like Carnosaur look like an epic masterpiece.
I can only hope that from now on IDW stays with the seemingly awesome route that Devils in the Desert seems to be going. The series is coherent, well written, well drawn and colored, and hopefully remains canon.

Overall rating for Jurassic Park: Redemption: 1 out of 5.

Bad writing and bad art make Josh a sad fan.
Byrne , PLEASE keep up the amazing work on Devils in the Desert, and we can only hope/pray that future JP stories from IDW will continue to get better.
DarkRex
Comic Book Guy

Return to Jurassic Park