BARBARY COAST: Reviews, reactions and spoilers.

Drop any comments about Joss Whedon's Angel, Spike or any of the related titles in this space, whether you have a soul or not.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

Postby Shade of Pale » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:51 am

angeliclestat wrote:Number 3 is out next week - looking forward to the conclusion of this. Pity it's only 3 issues!

Is it out the same week as TDYK then ? That will be good, as it will save alot on postage ! :)
Shade of Pale
Transforumer

Postby angeliclestat » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:06 pm

angeliclestat
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:25 pm

Both this and the preview for Spike:TDYK#1 look good. :)

I won't be able to get my copies though until Thursday.Usually,I get them on Wed. but tomorrow I am very tied up and won't be able to get to my shop.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby Shade of Pale » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:38 am

This mini-series has built pretty nicely to date. I'm looking forward to getting this.

The Artwork looks as excellent as ever.
Shade of Pale
Transforumer

Postby Shade of Pale » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:43 am

I've really loved this series and the conclusion didn't disappoint. Angel's thoughts were wonderful in this issue, when he really begins to understand Ling Kai and you can see real glimpses of the good man Angel is eventually to become. Great stuff !

"It's what I want, what I need, but it's not who I am."

All in all, it's a good combination of action with a good splash of emotional intensity.

Bravo, David Tischman - Great story and bravo, Franco, as ever.
Shade of Pale
Transforumer

Postby Deborahmm » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:29 am

Read the final issue yesterday, and though I found it confusing at times, I enjoyed it very much - way more than the Spike book. I love Urru's work, and he's excelled himself here. Plus, the story fits seamlessly into continuity and into Angel's character arc.

Great stuff.
Aargh! 'Shippers! There goes the neighbourhood.
Deborahmm
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:25 am

Got my copy yesterday and really loved it.This whole miniseries has been aces.I'm looking forward to more flashback stories.John Bryne is supposed to have a Spike one coming at some point.
Last edited by Buffyversefantic on Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby angeliclestat » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:30 am

Another excellent issue. I re-read all 3 last night and it works realy well as a complete story.

As an opera singer it was nice to see Angel fight in *another* opera house - and to meet Caruso to boot!:)

I hope Tischman is brought back for another Angel story sometime.
angeliclestat
Transforumer

Postby Deborahmm » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:36 am

angeliclestat wrote:As an opera singer it was nice to see Angel fight in *another* opera house - and to meet Caruso to boot!:)

Yes, I agree that was a very nice touch. Are you a tenor too, Angeliclestat?
Deborahmm
Transforumer

Postby Buffyversefantic » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:12 am

angeliclestat wrote:Another excellent issue. I re-read all 3 last night and it works realy well as a complete story.

As an opera singer it was nice to see Angel fight in *another* opera house - and to meet Caruso to boot!:)

I hope Tischman is brought back for another Angel story sometime.

This story does fit in well to Angel continuity.It really feels like to me almost a companion piece to the episode,"Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been",atleast thematically IMO.
Buffyversefantic
Transforumer

Postby angeliclestat » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 am

Deborahmm wrote:
angeliclestat wrote:As an opera singer it was nice to see Angel fight in *another* opera house - and to meet Caruso to boot!:)

Yes, I agree that was a very nice touch. Are you a tenor too, Angeliclestat?

No I'm a baritone - a real man:) (little opera humour there....ahem....:))

This story does fit in well to Angel continuity.It really feels like to me almost a companion piece to the episode,"Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been",atleast thematically IMO.

Ya it does. I wonder though how many other flashbacks can be done within the 20th century? He wasnt exactly champion of the people for 90 years - the first real instance where he helped someone not for selfish reasons was in "Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been, so any story before then shouldnt show him doing anything to heroic.(Although in Blood and Trenches he seemed to help not for his own gain.)

Anything heroic he did in Barbary Coast was for selfish reasons (ie to lose his soul, so that is in character.

I hope that at San Diego Comic-Con we get another announcement about more flash back comics.
angeliclestat
Transforumer

Postby Deborahmm » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:47 pm

angeliclestat wrote:No I'm a baritone - a real man:) (little opera humour there....ahem....:))

Heh! Excluding Domingo, of course. He counts as an honorary man, surely?

angeliclestat wrote:Ya it does. I wonder though how many other flashbacks can be done within the 20th century? He wasnt exactly champion of the people for 90 years - the first real instance where he helped someone not for selfish reasons was in "Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been, so any story before then shouldnt show him doing anything to heroic.(Although in Blood and Trenches he seemed to help not for his own gain.)

Anything heroic he did in Barbary Coast was for selfish reasons (ie to lose his soul, so that is in character.

Well, if this series proves anything, it's that Angel doesn't always have to be the big hero to be interesting. His emotional journey with its stops and starts can be just as intriguing.
Deborahmm
Transforumer

Postby angeliclestat » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:58 am

Deborahmm wrote:
Heh! Excluding Domingo, of course. He counts as an honorary man, surely?

Ok fair enough - he's allowed. But he started out as a baritone - and does baritone roles now again.:)

Well, if this series proves anything, it's that Angel doesn't always have to be the big hero to be interesting. His emotional journey with its stops and starts can be just as intriguing.

Oh totally...but if they are going to do anymore stories in the 20th century then they need to explore the times when he wasnt been heroic. So far we have had 'Barbary Coast', 'Blood and Trenches', 'Why we Fight', 'Are you now or have you ever been' and the various flashbacks in 'Orpheus'. A lot of adventure for a vamp who supposedly lived in the gutter for a 100 years. Although you just know he told Buffy that to seem all 'tortured and romantic' :)
angeliclestat
Transforumer

Postby DanielW » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:42 pm

angeliclestat wrote:(Although in Blood and Trenches he seemed to help not for his own gain.)

I'd say it was still for selfish reasons, mostly survival with a touch of revenge.

I really enjoyed Barbary Coast, more then I have any of the Buffyverse comics of late.
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby angeliclestat » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:29 am

Buffyfest interview David Tischman about Barbary Coast to coincide with 'the release of the TPB today

http://buffyfest.blogspot.com/2010/09/d ... rbary.html
angeliclestat
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to Angel