any info on the max brooks mini?

Yo, Joe! The base of operations for your comments is open and ready for your transmissions.

Moderators: JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Mariah, shanecdavis

any info on the max brooks mini?

Postby cashel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:06 pm

i've googled and googled and i've pretty much come up with nothing. is it still planned? i hope mr. brooks didn't back out. i just finished his world war z and its some good stuff. i'm dying for more information. if anyone has any, i'd be more than happy to hear your responses.

thanks!
Join the revolution. Support "IMAGINARY DRUGS" and "BLANK WALLS". SEE WHAT LIES BEYOND SUPERHEROES! FEED YOUR BRAIN!
cashel
Transforumer

Postby snakeeater » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:40 pm

WWZ was one of the best books I read last year and I'm definitely looking forward to this. Considering he's a New York Times Bestseller, I'm surprised IDW has been hyping this more. Someone like him could bring in readers who might not otherwise read a Joe book and increase readership.
snakeeater
Comic Book Guy

Postby Barbecue51 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:52 pm

I'm brand new here, so sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but what is this Mr Brooks mini?
Barbecue51
Red Shirt

Postby DanielW » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:48 pm

I'm with Barbecue...
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby cashel » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:59 am

its a five issue mini-series with each issue focusing on a joe and a cobra. two stories each / a day in the life. so far all we know is one of the characters is firefly. that's all i know.
Join the revolution. Support "IMAGINARY DRUGS" and "BLANK WALLS". SEE WHAT LIES BEYOND SUPERHEROES! FEED YOUR BRAIN!
cashel
Transforumer

Postby FDrowned » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:56 am

DanielW wrote:I'm with Barbecue...
Best post of 2010.......so far
FDrowned
Transforumer

Postby Ro-Dan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:43 am

Honestly, with all the series that have been announced I really don't see this series seeing daylight until at least the conclusion of Operation HISS. There's already too much on the plate as is: G.I. Joe, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, G.I. Joe: Cobra II, G.I. Joe: Operation HISS, G.I. Joe: Origins.
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby cashel » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:42 pm

yeah, i'm expecting it after the conclusion of the cobra mini. i'd just like to hear more info on the book. its easily the most anticipated for me, personally. i read world war z and fell in love with it. i think he can do wonders in the joe universe.

doesn't hurt having a new york times bestseller writing a joe tale, either. plus, seeing firefly will be great. he's always been one of my favorites, pre-ninja tack-on, of course.

hope he still has that swiss bank account.
cashel
Transforumer

Postby CrazyK » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:45 pm

To potentially de-thread this; what the hell is OPERATION HISS?? Is that not a reprint of a move tie in comic? That isn't a series, is it?

And why even announce Max Brooks as an author of a book last summer if it isn't going to see daylight until more than a year later? They didn't announce anything that Hama was doing and then they gave us 155+... So I am thinking this may not happen at all...
"I... I don't believe it..."
"That. Is why you fail..."
CrazyK
Transforumer

Postby cashel » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:47 pm

please, don't say that :(
cashel
Transforumer

Postby Hellstrom » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:39 pm

CrazyK wrote:To potentially de-thread this; what the hell is OPERATION HISS?? Is that not a reprint of a move tie in comic? That isn't a series, is it?

It sounded like #1 of the Operation HISS mini series was a reprint of that Gamestop freebie comic that was given out for preordering the videogame. Same creative team and all that. However, that issue did not feature Major Bludd and the Operation HISS mini series does introduce that character. Plus the story seemed to be wrapped up in that same freebie comic. All I know for sure is that we could use some more information on that Operation HISS series. I did not order the first issue because I am thinking it is a reprint of that Gamestop comic and why pay for another version of what I got for free? I wish Chris Ryall or somebody would varify some things about it, but I think they might not want to deny themselves a few extra copies moved to those that find out it is a reprint. Not saying that Operation HISS #1 IS a reprint, but it looks and sounds like it is to me.
Hellstrom
Transforumer

Postby CrazyK » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:09 am

Hellstrom wrote:
CrazyK wrote:To potentially de-thread this; what the hell is OPERATION HISS?? Is that not a reprint of a move tie in comic? That isn't a series, is it?

It sounded like #1 of the Operation HISS mini series was a reprint of that Gamestop freebie comic that was given out for preordering the videogame. Same creative team and all that. However, that issue did not feature Major Bludd and the Operation HISS mini series does introduce that character. Plus the story seemed to be wrapped up in that same freebie comic. All I know for sure is that we could use some more information on that Operation HISS series. I did not order the first issue because I am thinking it is a reprint of that Gamestop comic and why pay for another version of what I got for free? I wish Chris Ryall or somebody would varify some things about it, but I think they might not want to deny themselves a few extra copies moved to those that find out it is a reprint. Not saying that Operation HISS #1 IS a reprint, but it looks and sounds like it is to me.

Okay, that clears NOTHING up... :lol: :lol:
CrazyK
Transforumer

Postby Hellstrom » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:18 am

CrazyK wrote:
Hellstrom wrote:

Okay, that clears NOTHING up... :lol: :lol:

Glad to help. :lol: :lol: All I do know for a fact is it is a mini series that continues the movieverse Joe comics. That and Major Bludd appears in it. I don't even know how many issues it is. Issue #1 ships in February.
Hellstrom
Transforumer

Postby shanecdavis » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:13 am

http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/962/

G.I. JOE: Operation H.I.S.S. Comic Launches in February
Tuesday, Dec 22nd, 2009

This February, IDW explores what follows the dramatic ending of this summer's smash-hit movie, G.I. JOE: The Rise of Cobra. Under license by Hasbro, Inc., G.I. JOE: Operation H.I.S.S. focuses on two of the brand's main characters, SCARLETT and SNAKE EYES, as they combat the latest plot of the evil and menacing COBRA organization.

The war against COBRA has only just begun as writer Brian Reed (G.I. JOE Special: Agent Helix) unveils the return of the wildly popular STORM SHADOW character and introduces a sinister new character, brought to life by the dynamic art team of Augustin Padilla and Alex Cal, from the popular G.I. JOE: Origins series. G.I. JOE: Operation H.I.S.S., a five-part miniseries, draws readers into a world of danger that threatens to corrupt the heroic G.I. JOE team member, DUKE. Joe Corroney (Star Trek: Mirror Images) provides the variant covers to the hottest title yet to spin out of G.I. JOE: The Rise of Cobra.

"The G.I. JOE: The Rise of Cobra publishing program has been one avenue of support for the film's storyline-until now. With Operation H.I.S.S., we chart new territory and are adding to the strong mythology developed for the film," said Andy Schmidt, IDW's G.I. JOE editor. "This series is not about filling in holes and tying up loose ends, it's about big, over-the-top action while emphasizing what makes these characters great."

In this latest G.I. JOE adventure, DUKE goes undercover to infiltrate COBRA and encounters MAJOR BLUDD, who makes his first appearance in IDW's comics.

G.I. JOE: Operation H.I.S.S. #1 (of 5) ($3.99, 32 pages) debuts in February. Diamond order code: DEC09 0888

Visit IDWPublishing.com to learn more about the company and its top-selling books.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby CrazyK » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:22 pm

Okay, now that clears it up. Since it's a movie-verse title, I will hedge my bets as to whether it will see the inside of my pull file.

Back to the original topic of this thread, as Cash pointed out, Brooks is a successful, best selling author and so you would think that IDW would
be hyping his upcoming Joe work. Since all we can seem to find regarding this is the sound of crickets, I would lean more towards the notion that there is no info because there is no work. I was excited for this as well; WWZ is a new classic to me; so I am disappointed to now believe this will never see the harsh light of a comic rack.

I'm hopng someone from IDW --HINT! HINT!-- would read this thread and fill us in on the latest info. Or non-info, as it were. Please do not just let this be a "Whatever happened to..." mystery. If it is cancelled or seriously delayed, please tell the fans now, instead of letting wild speculation run rampant.
Last edited by CrazyK on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrazyK
Transforumer

Next

Return to G.I. Joe