Transformers Ongoing #1: Reviews, Reactions, Spoilers.

Transformers is here! Discuss anything TF-related.

Moderators: ladywreck, tronprogram, bassbot, Ryall, JohnBarber, Cattleprod, CarlosG86

Transformers Ongoing #1: Reviews, Reactions, Spoilers.

Postby tronprogram » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:29 am

Post your thoughts and reviews of the brand spanking new TF Ongoing here.
Last edited by tronprogram on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are no problems, only solutions.

tronprogram
Transforumer

Postby Sprite » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:22 am

Am I honestly the first one who got this?

It was awesome. A new direction for the Transformers and I'm curious to see how it will play out. I also wonder how Streetwise, Red Alert, Gears, Windcharger and the others got to earth (apparently there were quite a few Autobot survivors of the Decepticon massacre) and I'm hoping we're told. Awesome art too and I'm not gonna mention the faces. :P
OK to print.
D&D/TMNT/MLP/X-Files modding, avatar tech support and shattered trousers repair.
Sprite
Transforumer

Postby beantownprime » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:29 am

Damn, I just called my LCS and they said that they won't get it till next week. I'm pissed. :evil:
beantownprime
Transforumer

Postby Soundwave » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:37 am

I picked mine up at 11:00am....just as my comic shop opened it doors!

:D

Art=AWESOME

**SPOILERS**

Story, well the preview pages certainly threw me off...I have to read it agin..but looks like Prowl was bait and Prime set it up.

Hotrod mouthing off to Prime... :shock: Nice, its a nice change of pace to see the Autobots not so blindly following Primes lead.

Optimus surrendering himself to the Humans? Man I thought he was gonna roll in their and bust some heads for a minute...LOL

If this plays out...The Humans and Autobots will EVENTUALLY form an alliance. They need each other for the long term against the Decepticons and whoever decides to lead them. Thats if Megatron ends up haveing not survived that shot to the head!
Everything I post is ok to print, use, copy, use for inspiration, promote world peace, change lives, etc...and so on and so on. ;)

Rumble Eject! Operation, collateral damage.
Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby Sprite » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:46 am

Soundwave wrote:
Story, well the preview pages certainly threw me off...I have to read it agin..but looks like Prowl was bait and Prime set it up.

Wasn't it the humans who used Prowl as bait? Using him to draw in the Autobots, leading up to Ironhide's dead?

Mind you, I like your version better, as it circumvents Prowl's apparent personality change. :P
OK to print.
D&D/TMNT/MLP/X-Files modding, avatar tech support and shattered trousers repair.
Sprite
Transforumer

Postby Soundwave » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:15 am

Yeah oops! That quick read was a QUICK read...LOL

Humans used Prowl as Bait, to lure in Autobots after they captured him.

I still think Prowl could be just under al ot of stress and not his logical self anymore..lol

I am excited to hear Jetfire is Alive as well as Wincharger and Gears..would be cool to see Windcharger in the comic....Thats my fave lil guy with Bee and Cliffs right behind him..

Anyways outside of Prowls emotional out of character move (which didnt bother me) This looks sweet!

Now I gotta wait for Issue 2, well the brite side of this is we get 2 issues with Bumblebee No.1 woo hoo!
Everything I post is ok to print, use, copy, use for inspiration, promote world peace, change lives, etc...and so on and so on. ;)

Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby Soundwave » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:16 am

And Drift got a new alt mode lol, dude looks very differant, if his name was posted next to him I wouldnt have recognized him.

Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby sol magnus » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:17 am

Sprite wrote:
Soundwave wrote:

Wasn't it the humans who used Prowl as bait? Using him to draw in the Autobots, leading up to Ironhide's dead?

Mind you, I like your version better, as it circumvents Prowl's apparent personality change. :P

No. The humans used the threat of killing Breakdown as bait to lure in Prowl, probably thinking they are all of the same alignment or something, and Prowl had been the cheese on the hook for some time, then sprung Optimus' trap on that. It was a triple-cross.

I like that it was Prowl who carried Ironhide's remains back to the Autobot Base. Seems to fulfill a kind of respect all of the 'bots, including Prowl had for him.

I have to say, this issue was amazing. I can't see how (although I know it will happen) anybody could complain about the story, or the possibilities it may all be leading to. Well done, IDW. Well done.
I can't deal with that now.
[OK to Print]
sol magnus
Transforumer

Postby Sprite » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:34 am

sol magnus wrote:No. The humans used the threat of killing Breakdown as bait to lure in Prowl, probably thinking they are all of the same alignment or something, and Prowl had been the cheese on the hook for some time, then sprung Optimus' trap on that. It was a triple-cross.

So you're saying it was Optimus' trap? But where does it say that? All we get is "I can see it so clearly, how it must have gone. Using Prowl as bait." It doesn't say anywhere that was on the Autobot's side and their reaction to Prowl's capture suggests otherwise. Anyway it wouldn't make sense. Bait for what? To what purpose?
OK to print.
Sprite
Transforumer

Postby sol magnus » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:38 am

Sprite wrote:
sol magnus wrote:No. The humans used the threat of killing Breakdown as bait to lure in Prowl, probably thinking they are all of the same alignment or something, and Prowl had been the cheese on the hook for some time, then sprung Optimus' trap on that. It was a triple-cross.

So you're saying it was Optimus' trap? But where does it say that? All we get is "I can see it so clearly, how it must have gone. Using Prowl as bait." It doesn't say anywhere that was on the Autobot's side and their reaction to Prowl's capture suggests otherwise. Anyway it wouldn't make sense. Bait for what? To what purpose?

The implication is only Optimus and Prowl knew what was really going down. It's open enough that maybe, just maybe Prowl didn't know he was bait, but that would be more "out of character" than the initial, knee-jerk thoughts that he simply flew off the handle. Obviously, this is speculation, but based on what we know about the characters thus far.
[OK to Print]
sol magnus
Transforumer

Postby Sprite » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:42 am

Hmm, I'd say the only thing that would support it is Prowl's seemingly out-of-character behaviour. But do you have anything from the story with which to back it up?
OK to print.
Sprite
Transforumer

Postby drae77 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:43 am

i deliberately read the other posts before I chimed in. I admit, I'm frustrated. None of it really made sense to me... the premise. I know this is unchartered territory, even for us readers, but it just read like a horror movie for me. the one where you're yelling at the person to NOT go upstairs or the 'shortcut' through the woods/alley. and where they knock the killer down, then turn their back on him/it and drop their weapon in that, 'man i'm glad this is over' that directors can't seem to get enough of. the whole while you're yelling, 'turn around!! not dead!!" it wasn't a BAD story.. I just couldn't rationalize it. it contained so many elements that i don't personally care for that it made it hard to embrace even as excited as I've been waiting on it.

the humans have SEVERELY outflanked the autobots, out-thought them, out technologied them.. it's ridiculous. In what, 5 years or so since they found Shockwave they've lapped cybertronians in military strategy and weaponary? And this Prime.. *sigh*.. it's a shout back to the stammering, stuttering bot of U.S. Marvel Matrix Quest fame and just prior to that the one who quit like 10 times and was indecisive during the Megachet/Ratchatron fusion thing. Listen, I get it. I get that the war being 'over' is foreign for many of them. I get that Prime blame's himself for the destruction of untold lives on Earth. I understand all of that. what i don't get, is WHY and HOW is the war over?

If you've the resources, to repel the Decepticons should they return to earth, and are interested in engaging them in combat at all, then that would seem the antithesis of the war being over. I just can't wrap my mind around it, not personally, but actually in getting into the character's heads as they've been presented, weighing only what they've offered and trying to assess it. Like Shockwave, my logic center teeters on the verge of seizure. Did the Decepticons call a truce? Is the war over bc megatron is 'dead'? Because the Cons have the matrix and as Kup said, 'that's what started the war'? I do understand that this is the first issue... but it is clearly not a clean break from AHM.. but what's here.. doesn't seem to follow. and it REALLY throws me for a loop as far as the Bumblebee mini.. when is that set? PRIOR to #1 of the ongoing? Why do i ask?

1) Prime shows up (from out of hiding) in the bumblebee mini preview we saw, to save bumblebee. that's significant b/c this Prime, has allowed a MULTITUDE of autobots to be taken, bagged and tagged by Skywatch. Has he come back by the Bumblebee mini?

2) i know there was a big change after getting their arse kicked, betrayed, and much introspection in AHM.. but this Prime (in Escalation) personally went after what they believed to be the REMAINS of Sunstreaker when he was in human hands, yet for autobots that all intelligence said were still alive but prisoners, not lifting a finger til his verbal undressing? I'm hoping this is an elaborate ruse...

nonetheless, again, didn't think it was bad writing.. i just can't make it fit. and that for me, is frustrating.
My opinions are just that. If my context is missed due to colloquialism or cultural mix up, I'm reachable by PM and glad to get understanding. Pursue peace with all men. :)
Until that day, til all are one. OK to Print
drae77
Transforumer

Postby vguzz2 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:44 am

I think it was a pretty good first issue and is definitely a good setup issue for the next story arc. I liked how Hot Rod lost his temper and asked why they were still on Earth. That was my main question going into this issue as well. Personally i don't think Optimus Prime's answer wasn't good enough to justify the ongoing presence so I was happy to see an assault on Skywatch. It obviously didn't go so well and i can see the humans this time around are going to be a much more formidable and intelligent group than we've previously seen. The only thing i did not like was the artwork which I found to be very bothersome. I don't like Halloween faces and split in have chest plates everywhere. I think if Don returned to his old "Stormbringer" we would have a real winner on our hands this time. Final verdict..Pretty decent story horrible artwork to tell it. I'm really looking forward to "The last stand of the Wreckers". I will also beg for some kind of ongoing Simon Furman return to the comic side of Transformers again.
Last edited by vguzz2 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vguzz2
Transforumer

Postby Sprite » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:49 am

drae77 wrote:1) Prime shows up (from out of hiding) in the bumblebee mini preview we saw, to save bumblebee. that's significant b/c this Prime, has allowed a MULTITUDE of autobots to be taken, bagged and tagged by Skywatch. Has he come back by the Bumblebee mini?

Wasn't that in Coda? Which I presumed took place before #1. I don't remember a Bumblebee mini preview.

Anyway, I think this issue has the feel of a prologue... I've got to admit I'm also going "whut?" at a lot of things, but I expect things to get explained and fleshed out as the serie progresses.
OK to print.
Sprite
Transforumer

Postby sol magnus » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:55 am

Sprite wrote:Hmm, I'd say the only thing that would support it is Prowl's seemingly out-of-character behaviour. But do you have anything from the story with which to back it up?

I don't know. It's speculation. Like i said. But the very line you quoted seems to be saying in addition to failing Ironhide, using Prowl as bait was a failure as well. Perhaps the failure is that Prowl was supposed to remain captured in order to 'explain things' to the humans, as it seems Prime is going to be doing for the next few issues.
[OK to Print]
sol magnus
Transforumer

Next

Return to Transformers