ROADBLOCK = HEAVY DUTY - Can someone PLEASE explain

Yo, Joe! The base of operations for your comments is open and ready for your transmissions.

Moderators: JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Mariah, shanecdavis

ROADBLOCK = HEAVY DUTY - Can someone PLEASE explain

Postby burg » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:02 am

I'm sorry if this was covered already but seriously, this has been bugging the hell out of me:

WHY THE NAME CHANGE???

The 25th Ann. figure is called Roadblock - why did they change it to Heavy Duty for Origins & the new ongoing?

I know the 25th Ann. figure of Ripcord has been renamed "Altitude" so not to confuse people with Marlan Wayans character but Heavy Duty is very obviously Roadblock in the IDW-verse.

When I think Heavy Duty I think of a lamo in a neon-green backwards baseball cap from the shitty DIC cartoons. Roadblock was an amazing character! What the F???

Please enlighten me :)
WELCOME TO COBRA ISLAND - Download the album here: http://propsdept.bandcamp.com/

"People were talking and eating, it was the greatest party ever." - Snakor's Pizza

Twitter: @SJ_Wordburglar
http://www.wordburglar.com
burg
Transforumer

Postby Ro-Dan » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:51 pm

I'm totally confused by this too. Obviously Hasbro has not lost the rights to the name "Roadblock", so why doesn't IDW just call him that instead of "Heavy Duty"?
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby Cattleprod » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:38 pm

"Hasbro lost the rights to the name" holds no water, the Transformers comic is full to the brim with character names Hasbro lost the rights to, several of which were proudly displayed on the covers. Spotlight: Hot Rod, for instance.
Cattleprod
Transforumer

Postby CrazyK » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:37 pm

I believe the rights exist in different forms of media. So while you can have the GI Joe Heavy Machine Gunner Action Figure can be named Roadblock, the character in any printed media cannot.

It's very confusing and I wish Hasbro would give us a definitive answer...
CrazyK
Transforumer

Postby Cattleprod » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:59 pm

CrazyK wrote:I believe the rights exist in different forms of media. So while you can have the GI Joe Heavy Machine Gunner Action Figure can be named Roadblock, the character in any printed media cannot.

That's the exact opposite of every other name rights dispute we've seen. Characters can use the old names in the comics and cartoons, just not in the toys. Ratchet toys need to add a prefix so he's 'Autobot Ratchet', but in media he's just Ratchet.

Devil's Due used the Roadblock name continuously for seven years, I think we would have heard about a problem if one existed.

The name should even be grandfathered in. The original Captain Marvel was in limbo for decades, so Marvel Comics introduced their own character with that name. Later, DC bought the rights to the original. They couldn't use the name 'Captain Marvel' on covers, but they could call him that within the books.

I don't know of any other comics using the Roadblock name, and even if one was, I don't see why IDW wouldn't be able to continue using this already established name.
Cattleprod
Transforumer

Postby shanecdavis » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:52 am

I doubt we will ever get the REAL answer to this. I also heard that it was the movie influence that forced this. The REAAALLLLYYYY smart decision to use a throw-away character like Heavy Duty over an established and popular character like Roadblock, at least initially, forced IDW to either uuse the HD character or go with RB in every aspect but name.

Personally, to me that is Roadblock and that is what he will always go by. Who knows, maybe in a future issue, we will see him dump the HD name. Either way, he is Roadblock to me.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby CrazyK » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:44 am

In relation to the character being used in the film, the creators and producers that were at the Joe panel at SDCC 08 said they felt it was stronger and fit the role of the character they created. None of us bought it.

As it is, the characters in the film and the new comics are in fact different characters. The Heavy Duty in the comics is, in essence, a brand new character. He's not wearing the same uniform. He's not a chef by trade- as far as we can tell. And there is no indication that he's from Mississippi so far. Much like the new Dial-Tone, the new relationships between Scarlett and Duke and Snake-Eyes, the new Destro dynamics, et al, the Roadblock/Heavy Duty character is a brand new entity. A new continuity. Same with the movieverse. These are brand new characters based loosely on an archetype established by Hama and Marvel and Hasbro twenty five years ago.

I think we have to let go of that, we have to accept that the Hama Establishment is done, that story is over. We take the very BASICS of these archetypes and see what these new creators can build upon them.
CrazyK
Transforumer

Postby Ro-Dan » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:30 pm

CrazyK wrote:I think we have to let go of that, we have to accept that the Hama Establishment is done, that story is over. We take the very BASICS of these archetypes and see what these new creators can build upon them.
Then it is safe to say there is a NEW Hama Establishment as evidenced in his ORIGINS series.
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby Cattleprod » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:31 pm

CrazyK wrote:He's not wearing the same uniform.

In the sketches in the back of #0, he was wearing the exact uniform as Roadblock's second toy. He's clearly meant to be the same character. Otherwise, why not just make him closer to the original Heavy Duty character? I don't have the issues in front of me, but hasn't he spoken in rhyme at some point, a trait associated with Roadblock?

The new female Dial Tone is one thing, but I think people would notice if her design and personality had been lifted directly from Lady Jaye.
Cattleprod
Transforumer

Postby G. Noel Gross » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:13 pm

CrazyK wrote:In relation to the character being used in the film, the creators and producers that were at the Joe panel at SDCC 08 said they felt it was stronger and fit the role of the character they created. None of us bought it.
I too was at the SDCC panel and was the person who asked the question directly: "Why Heavy Duty instead of Roadblock." The screenwriter said he just liked the name better. Went no deeper than that. Ugh.

So a character we grew up with, Roadblock, got tossed aside because the screenwriter didn't like Marvin's codename as much. :(

Can't prove it, but I suspect Hasbro simply followed suit. Heavy Duty's in the movie, so they want him in the comic, toys, etc.
G. Noel Gross
Comic Book Guy

Postby The Rev » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:14 pm

This is just more bit of proof to what I already suspected.

As much as we're led to believe that there is no pressure on the writer's part to push toys (since they're dealing with old established characters) and they have freedom galore, it apparently is only gloss over attempt to insult our intelligence.

Am I one happy soldier with Hasbro giving its licences to IDW? ... You better believe it!

However the powers that be at Hasbro yet to have show absolute trust in those who basically advertise their brands (and lets face it ... the comics are really to cater to our nastalgia in order to get us to buy some more plastic men) with true freedom.

First I learned that Hasbro was having a fit over having Joe's in the background just milling about. Hmmm ... why not ... it is the PIT after all. Then Shane McCarthy tells about having to concede to some notion that G1 transformers are for kids and therefore had to tame (dumb down) the violence in AHM! (But I guess over blown violence in a movie is OK? Seems like a double standard here.)

Who are these people ... news flash to Hasbro ... kids aren't buying the TF and Joe rags ... ADULTS ARE!! You know the ones that grew up with the darn toys ... we're now in our 30's.

Hasbro I love you ... I really do ... and if anyone of you Hasbro guys actually reads this stuff please listen.

I know you own the characters ... we all know that ... us fans we get that ... but for once let what these guys at IDW do best and let them write the stories we're all grown up enough to read.

Heavy Duty instead of Road Block just doesn't cut it for whatever reason. Push the toys with the TV ads on the cartoon networks the kids are watching ... not to us in our beloved comics ... besides we're already sold ... we were sold in 1982 and will continue to fork over our money for little plastic men for a long time to come.

You better believe it!!
YO JOE!!
:)
Last edited by The Rev on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Rev
Transforumer

Postby KJ » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:32 am

If it was a trademark thing, then they'd still be able to use the character name.

They just wouldn't be able to use the name on the cover, or as a title.

So no Spotlight:Roadblock.

I'd wager it's simply a Hasbro request, to go along with the movie naming. We know it's Roadblock, anyone who sees the movie (LOL) will know that same character and recognise the name 'Heavy Duty.' Make it a bit more familiar for them.
KJ
Transforumer

Postby G. Noel Gross » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:45 pm

Some of you are missing the point.

Both are actual Joe characters. Roadblock was featured heavily in the cartoons and comics. Heavy Duty was not, which given the characters are nearly identical physically and in specialty, is why screenwriter Stuart Beattie's choice sucketh so.

Roadblock (Marvin Hinton of Biloxi) was the first in 1984.
http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/84/roadblock.shtml

Heavy Duty (Lamont Morris of Chicago) followed in 1991.
http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/91/heavyduty.shtml
G. Noel Gross
Comic Book Guy

Postby CrazyLogic » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:47 pm

Watch them be identical twins...
Crazy Logic, don't let me near Prowl.

Dyslexics of the world, UNITE!

OK to print!
CrazyLogic
Transforumer

Return to G.I. Joe