The Library of American Comics- Terry, LOA, & more

Discuss newly solicited books, current IDW titles, or anything else randomly related to IDW and their slate of books.

Moderators: Ryall, JohnBarber, Bobby Curnow, Denton J. Tipton, Mariah

LOAC ESSENTIALS & Garge

Postby Cnwl » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:41 am

Things are incredibly hectic around here, but I promised to come back after the LOAC Essentials announcement, so ...

Mr. A., EJG, MotionT: Thanks for the thumbs-up about Essentials; we've been getting e-mails from other readers who are excited about the idea -- and of course, we are, too. The opportunity to make available a broader range of strips creates a "win" for us -- the chance to sample a year's worth of strips at a price point that equates to roughly the cost of a night out at the movies makes it (we like to think) a "win" for readers. And as you can tell from the announcement, I personally think echoing the "proofbook" look of one-strip-per-page will make these releases visually distinctive and fun to read. In his DICK TRACY text features, Max Collins has pointed out that big collections of strips create a different reading experience than the original one-installment-in-the-paper-every-day setup audiences experienced at the time of initial publication. I dunno anyone is going to read Essentials one strip a day, but the format will mean they could if they wanted to ...

I'm mighty excited to have my hand in the Polly Essentials -- these 1933 dailies are fanTAStic! Honestly, the run-up-to-Christmas sequence is one of the best holiday treatments I've seen in any strip, anytime, anywhere. Dee-light-ful!

EMB: Your opening line to Delhi cracked me up! As I tried to point out last post, we have a collegial relationship with Fantagraphics and I expect that to continue. We didn't have an issue with FBI reprinting all Alex Toth's Standard Comics stories last year, within months of our own GENIUS, ISOLATED, you'll notice. It's all good. And I hadda smile when I read your preferences within D&Q's WALT & SKEEZIX reprints (which I also buy, read, and enjoy) -- my reaction is just the reverse. I love the small domestic slices of life stuff, but whenever Madame Octave comes back into the strip, I start snoozing. Different strokes for different folks, as they used to say on Laugh-In. Again, it's all good.

Delhidally: Bravo to you for putting out there your coolness to KRAZY KAT. As it happens, I'm on the other side of the fence on this one -- I've LOVED the Coconino Cut-Ups since Eclipse first started reprinting the series decades ago -- but I have my list of Popular or Critical Darlings that leave me cold, I know the looks I get whenever I reveal one of my "Ehhh-h-h -- not so much" reactions, and I support your right to call it as you see it. Good news is, the biggest reaction you got in this forum was a one-line joke (and the fact that EMB was willing to admit a similar feeling toward KRAZY in the process). Me, I've had scores of times where I've been told, "You're stupid for not liking <fill in the blank> ...", so the reaction here struck me was very positive.

I've spent my two cents, so now it's off to the races -- and it's a brisk pace, believe me! If I don't get back this way for a batch of day, may everyone have a fine end to April ...
Best wishes --

- B -
Cnwl
I'm kind of a big deal

CARTOON MONARCH Coverage

Postby Cnwl » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:21 am

I've made no secret that I'm a big Otto Soglow/LITTLE KING fan, so it's neat to see CARTOON MONARCH get some ink (or whatever the equivalent is in this increasingly-electronic age). Check out http://westfieldcomics.com/blog/interviews-and-columns/rogers-comic-ramblings-idws-cartoon-monarch-otto-soglow-the-little-king/

Time to tackle another day; may yours be a fine one, and ...
Best wishes --

- B -
Cnwl
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby emb021 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:47 am

Some comments.

Got the last Krazy Kat sunday collection today (literally). I flipped thru it before leaving for work, and see they included all of "Us Husbands" (so I guess the previously planned "Us Husbands" collection will not happen at all) as well as all of another short-lived early strip of Herriman.

I see the cover for X-9 #4 is up on Amazon. Haven't gotten this series yet, but may.

The complete Outland volume was supposed to come out soon. Have to see where that is.

Lot of stuff coming out soon am looking forward to, like the final Popeye volume, next Tracy and LOA, Mickey Mouse, Captain Easy, and more.
MB
emb021
Forum Zombie

Highly Recommended Reading

Postby Cnwl » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:10 am

Just spotted this, and can't recommend it enough: http://library.osu.edu/blogs/cartoons/2012/04/26/happy-birthday-bill-blackbeard-april-28-1926-march-10-2011/.

Bill Blackbeard's enthusiasm for newspaper comics shined in every word he wrote about them, and his diligence plays a significant part in the current comic strip renaissance. When Ohio State University bought Bill's collection, it took several tractor-trailer trucks to deliver all the material to OSU.

Dean knew Bill and both liked and greatly respected him. I never met him, but when I first became familiar with his name, attached in one manner or another to almost every strip reprint effort from the 1980s, I thought he was doing some of the coolest work on the planet. Today more than ever, I know how true that assessment was ...
Best wishes --

- B -
Cnwl
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby emb021 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:23 am

(loved the posting on Bill Blackbeard. Great that people like him are out there)

I was going over my list of upcoming books I'm looking to get, and several are supposed to come out in May:

* Complete Outland (but not showing on the LOAC website...)
* 6th and final Popeye volume (YEAH!!)
* 13th Tracy
* 8th LOA (more new stuff for me!!)
* 3rd Mickey Mouse Dailies
* 3rd Captain Easy Sundays (one more to go!!)
* 6th Buck Rogers dailies (WAY late!!)
* 2nd Buck Rogers Sundays (2 years after the first!!!)

Also, some upcoming comic archive volumes:

* 4th Space Family Robinson
* King Comics Phantom volume
* 3rd Ditko Archive
MB
emb021
Forum Zombie

Postby emb021 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:42 am

emb021 wrote:(loved the posting on Bill Blackbeard. Great that people like him are out there)

I was going over my list of upcoming books I'm looking to get, and several are supposed to come out in May:

* Complete Outland (but not showing on the LOAC website...)
* 6th and final Popeye volume (YEAH!!)
* 13th Tracy
* 8th LOA (more new stuff for me!!)
* 3rd Mickey Mouse Dailies
* 3rd Captain Easy Sundays (one more to go!!)
* 6th Buck Rogers dailies (WAY late!!)
* 2nd Buck Rogers Sundays (2 years after the first!!!)

Well, this is annoying. I checked Amazon and found:

Capt Easy is pushed back to August.
Micky Mouse is now July.

Yesh. What next, another delay with Buck Rogers???
MB
emb021
Forum Zombie

Soglow Review in POST & Other Tidbits

Postby Cnwl » Sun May 06, 2012 7:30 am

I suspect it's no secret that, like everyone else at LOAC, I'm a big lover of Otto Soglow's work and am delighted to have CARTOON MONARCH on my bookshelves. Also glad to see the book is getting attention in the press; if you live in the Washington D.C. area you can read a review of it in the Sunday WASHINGTON POST. And if you don't live in the Washington beltway, well, thanks to the wonders of modern technology, you can read the review right here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/cartoon-monarch-otto-soglow-and-the-little-king/2012/05/03/gIQAKN5S1T_story.html!

In udder noose ...

Hey, EMB! Thanks for the rundown on what's coming up and what's being delayed. I'm as disappointed as you are to hear I'll have to wait for the second half of summer to read CAPT. EASY Volume 3! But just like us, the folks at Fantagraphics don't delay without good reason, and it'll be worth the wait, o'course.

Turned in my text for STEVE CANYON Volume 2, also due out this summer. Lots of fine Caniffian stories in that book, and we'll be featuring some of the new information -- and artwork! -- we gleaned during our visit to the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library and Museum last December.

Not that I'll be resting on my laurels -- I'll be working on at least three other projects in the coming weeks!

And I'm curious: how many folks out there were able to participate in Free Comic Book Day? And if you did, which free comic did you get?

Back to the salt mines -- today I'm doing something KING AROO-related and preparing a piece for the LOAC website. Hey, it beats watching the currently-woeful Red Sox play baseball ...

Hoping everyone's start-of-May is a fine one --
Best wishes --

- B -
Cnwl
I'm kind of a big deal

Re: Soglow Review in POST & Other Tidbits

Postby Gryphon » Sun May 06, 2012 11:11 am

Cnwl wrote:I suspect it's no secret that, like everyone else at LOAC, I'm a big lover of Otto Soglow's work and am delighted to have CARTOON MONARCH on my bookshelves. Also glad to see the book is getting attention in the press; if you live in the Washington D.C. area you can read a review of it in the Sunday WASHINGTON POST. And if you don't live in the Washington beltway, well, thanks to the wonders of modern technology, you can read the review right here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/cartoon-monarch-otto-soglow-and-the-little-king/2012/05/03/gIQAKN5S1T_story.html!

In udder noose ...

Hey, EMB! Thanks for the rundown on what's coming up and what's being delayed. I'm as disappointed as you are to hear I'll have to wait for the second half of summer to read CAPT. EASY Volume 3! But just like us, the folks at Fantagraphics don't delay without good reason, and it'll be worth the wait, o'course.

Turned in my text for STEVE CANYON Volume 2, also due out this summer. Lots of fine Caniffian stories in that book, and we'll be featuring some of the new information -- and artwork! -- we gleaned during our visit to the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library and Museum last December.

Not that I'll be resting on my laurels -- I'll be working on at least three other projects in the coming weeks!

And I'm curious: how many folks out there were able to participate in Free Comic Book Day? And if you did, which free comic did you get?

Back to the salt mines -- today I'm doing something KING AROO-related and preparing a piece for the LOAC website. Hey, it beats watching the currently-woeful Red Sox play baseball ...

Hoping everyone's start-of-May is a fine one --

King Aroo-related? That spikes my interest as Im re-reading volume 1 now.
Gryphon
Forum Zombie

Postby bem1 » Sat May 12, 2012 7:48 am

Just got the second Blondie book. Haven't really had a chance to read it, but am looking forward to it. The couple Sundays I read were enjoyable. Am looking forward to Dick Tracy and LOA, hopefully within the next month or so.
On Fantagraphics front just got the sixth and final Poopeye, so now my books spell out Popeye. How cool is that. Waiting for the next Lil Abner so the letters in Lil abner will get filled in with yellow.
bem1
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Technohat » Mon May 14, 2012 7:32 pm

It looks like Dick Tracy volume nine is out of print. Any idea when it will be reprinted? Hopefully it will also have the two missing strips corrected when they do.
Technohat
Private

FasFAX (As Howard Chaykin Used to Label It)

Postby Cnwl » Mon May 14, 2012 7:58 pm

Mighty honkin' busy in these parts, but before I get in a last 90 minutes of work this evening ...

Hey, Gryph -- We think we'll have interesting KING AROO news coming pretty soon. Keep those fingers crossed!

Bem -- A few weeks ago I sat down and read the second BLONDIE -- no matter that I've seen the book in what passes for galley form, I find it's always the most enjoyable to be able to sit down and read the finished product. Neat to see the "classic" BLONDIE beginning to take shape, and a very fine sequence involving Daisy, I thought. Elsewhere: I, too, got that 6th POPEYE, and now (as soon as I can find time) I get to re-read Segar, since I've just been stacking these up until all the volumes were in hand. Then comes the tough part: do I keep these, or the original twelve-volume set that I bought when Fantagraphics first reprinted the Popeye THIMBLE THEATRE by Segar back in the '80s? The new editions have color Sundays, but the original printing has significantly bigger daily strips. Decisions, decisions ... but taking a fresh dip in the fabulous world of Segar will be a welcome thing no matter what. Arf, arf!

Techno -- I hadn't seen that TRACY Vol 9 was sold out, but after reading your post I checked the obvious on-line sellers and came up empty, so that seems to be a reasonable conclusion. We don't automatically reprint sold-out volumes; the only way it's economical is to go back to press with several different volumes at once and "gang print" them. There'll be an announcement on our website when that happens (and we'll almost surely carry it over here as well) -- and yes, the master file was corrected as soon as we spotted the problem, so the second printing will be squeaky clean.

I'll likely be out of the picture for at least a week, but like MacArthur, I shall return! Meanwhile, here's hoping all is well for one and all --
Best wishes --

- B -
Cnwl
I'm kind of a big deal

Re: FLASH! ... Ah-Ahh-h-h

Postby Casey Burns » Tue May 15, 2012 3:57 pm

Cnwl wrote: ... we'll finish the Alex Raymond bookshelf within The Library of American Comics by reprinting the Raymond/Hammett SECRET AGENT X-9 (and we're looking at ways to make ours an extra-special treatment of that material). I'm eager to work on this X-9 book, because I hope it's clear I'm an admirer of Raymond's work, and I'm a major, _major_ Dash Hammett booster. If you've never read his prose fiction, I can't recommend it highly enough. His writing is as lean and vigorous today as it was when it was first published.

So: original X-9 is a sure bet ...

Very glad to hear you'll be reprinting the original X-9 strips. I just finished reading all of Hammett's novels for the first time (The Glass Key being the clear winner for me), and am now moving onto his short stories. I'm also in the middle of re-reading all the Goodwin/Williamson X-9 strips. With Williamson being a huge influence on my own artwork, I never get tired of looking at these things. Beautiful.

Any idea when the Hammett/Raymond strips might be scheduled?

Thanks again for the great books.
Casey Burns
Private

Postby mister allen » Wed May 16, 2012 9:05 pm

I just made the decision to get the Krazy and Ignatz hardcovers Fanta has put out, only to find that volume 2 (the first one) was sold out at their site. I checked on amazon.ca and they didn't have a copy. Looking back a week later, out of nowhere, they had a new copy available!

I thought the hardcover books were exclusive for their website and comic shops, but amazon.ca had all three volumes. Volume 3 was only $38 to boot! I'm really glad I was able to get these books before they became completely unavailable. While it's unfortunate that Chris Ware's lovely cover designs aren't included, the books are nonetheless magnificent.

I've only read one of the paperback volumes collecting the Sundays (it was that enjoyable), so I get to read through the complete Sundays almost entirely for the first time.

There's a brief mention on the Fantagraphics website about collecting the dailies now. Has anyone heard this? I can't imagine collecting them all in the same format as the Kat Who Walked in Beauty. Any thoughts on what format would be most appropriate?
mister allen
Comic Book Guy

A Fast Note & A Fine Review

Postby Cnwl » Tue May 22, 2012 6:41 am

Back from four days 1,500 miles away (some family business attended to), so these quick notes ...

Casey: X-9's beginning is late 2013 or thereabouts. We haven't set a hard-and-fast date yet, but it's definitely on the radar (and as both a Raymond fan and a Hammett devotee, I look forward to writing that text!).

Mr. A: Are the KRAZY books the big "omnibus" editions, or are there now hardcovers of the individual softcover releases? I probably know less about Fantagraphics's upcoming schedulee than most -- I have enough on my plate just trying to keep straight OUR projects! I look forward to as much KAT as I can get, of course ...

Speaking of Fantagraphics, though, since they publish the COMICS JOURNAL and since the JOURNAL has put a nice review of our CARTOON MONARCH on-line, let me refer you to: http://www.tcj.com/reviews/cartoon-monarch-otto-soglow-and-the-little-king/. The review is by Jeet Heer, who is insightful and entertaining, as always. Good reading!

Now, back to catching up ...
Best wishes --

- B -
Cnwl
I'm kind of a big deal

Re: A Fast Note & A Fine Review

Postby emb021 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:11 am

Cnwl wrote:Mr. A: Are the KRAZY books the big "omnibus" editions, or are there now hardcovers of the individual softcover releases? I probably know less about Fantagraphics's upcoming schedulee than most -- I have enough on my plate just trying to keep straight OUR projects! I look forward to as much KAT as I can get, of course ...

The hardback KRAZY books from FBI are all "omnibus" editions of the softcover releases. They basically have collected all their softcover editions into 3 (i think) hardcover volumes (tho the third and final is coming). Only a 1000 copies of each were done.

their next Herriman release is "Stumble Inn". They where going to do a collection called "Herriman's Humans" which was to include "Stumble Inn" and "Us Husbands", but dropped it and instead put "Us Husbands" in their last KRAZY softcover collection (making it bigger then usual). "Stumble Inn" comes in November.
MB
emb021
Forum Zombie

PreviousNext

Return to IDW Projects