Future IDW TPBs from Amazon Canada

Yo, Joe! The base of operations for your comments is open and ready for your transmissions.

Moderators: JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Mariah, shanecdavis

Future IDW TPBs from Amazon Canada

Postby JeffBohn » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:39 am

Found a bunch of listings for future IDW TPBs from Amazon Canada....

http://www.amazon.ca/s/qid=1228350547/r ... t=-pubdate

G.I. JOE: Origins (Hardcover)
G.I. JOE Movie Adaptation
G.I. JOE (Hardcover)
G.I. JOE Combat Heroes: We are G.I. JOE (Hardcover)
G.I. JOE: The Best of Storm Shadow (24, 25, 38, 39, 42, and 43)
Classic G.I. Joe Volume 4 (31-40)
G.I. JOE Movie Prequel
G.I. JOE: The Best of Snake Eyes (10, 21, 26, 27, 31, and 144)
G.I. JOE: The Best of Destro (11, 14, 33, 57, 78, and 87)
G.I. JOE: The Best of Duke (22, 23, 48, 49, 50, and 80)
G.I. JOE: The Best of Cobra Commander (1, 5, 16, 38, 55, and 61)
G.I. JOE: The Best of Hawk (4, 16, 45, 47, 70, and 74)
Classic G.I. Joe Volume 3 (21-30)

Added to...

G.I. Joe: The Best Of Larry Hama (Hardcover, 21, 24, 26, 34, 63, 85, 86, 91, 104, and G.I. Joe: Special Missions #17)
Classic G.I. Joe Volume 2 (11-20)
Classic G.I. Joe Volume 1 (1-10)
JeffBohn
Slayer

Postby KJ » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:36 am

Wow, that's a lot of material.

And individual hardcovers?

Damnit, why hasn't Transformers got that treatment? (yeah JOE sells better, but stilll...)
Proud Member Of The 'Resurrect Bumper' Club.

...A Club Of One.
KJ
Transforumer

Postby Cattleprod » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:26 am

Even though I'll stick to the full series (1-10, 11-20, etc.) volumes, the 'best of' volumes for Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow look like they'd be better off as 'The Best of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow' volumes 1 and 2 with the issues reordered chronologically between them. There's a lot of overlap of storylines there, particularly #24-27.
Cattleprod
Transforumer

Postby shanecdavis » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:35 am

Agreed. The "Best of" make little sense, with most of them missing issues that most would agree are better than what is in the "Best of", if that makes any sense.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby ER » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:57 pm

I think the "best of" trades could be a smart marketing move for IDW. There may be former fans out there who might be willing to put the money down for a collection of issues that focus on one of their favorite characters from back in the day, and who wouldn't be interested in chronological volumes.

BUT... I think the bulk of Joe Fandom would really like to see the whole chronological run in Trade form, and will likely pass on the "Bestuves." There also may be several Joe fans who will pass on the first five chronological volumes because they already have them from five or so years ago. So there may be a chance that sales for these trades won't be too hot, and if that's the case, my fear is that IDW would then give up on this effort without getting to volume 6 and beyond. But these are the volumes that would likely sell very well, because the bulk of Joe Fandom has been waiting for them since Marvel canceled the trades back in whenever it was.

It's exciting to see so many Joe trades on the way, but at the same time it's a little discouraging to see so many that are not the ones I really want. #51-60 (Pitfall!) #61-70 (Borovia!) #71-80 (Cobra Civil War!) #81-90 (Zartan's side of the HM story) #91-100 (Snake's new face) and the other volumes up to the immortal, unforgettable #155. Not to mention three volumes of Special Missions :) Most Joe readers would really like a nice, bookshelf edition of these stories. If anyone at IDW reads this, please know that I'm not complaining. I will be rebuying the first five volumes to support this effort. I'm just afraid that we won't get to the volumes we really want, if the volumes we already have don't sell as well.
ER
Transforumer

Postby ER » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:35 pm

I was taking another look at the bestuves, and the SE one doesn't look too bad. I think it would be a good read for someone who may be familiar with the toons and toys, but not the comics. 10, 21, 26, 27, and 31 tie together nicely and would be a great intro into the world of Joe comics. I may pick up a few of these as gifts for friends.

Anyone know what the "combat heroes: we are G.I. Joe" is?
ER
Transforumer

Postby JeffBohn » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:30 pm

ER wrote:Anyone know what the "combat heroes: we are G.I. Joe" is?

Not entirely sure yet, but expect something very kid oriented.

These are the Combat Hero toys...

http://www.yojoe.com/combatheroes/

and they come with mini 'comics' like these...

Cute and amusing to some of us, but I expect the book to be something like that.
JeffBohn
Slayer

Postby Antarctica » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:53 pm

One thing I hope is that the best of series isn't replacing the trades of the Marvel run. Us Joe fans really really want are Marvel run in trade paperback straight through from 1-155, even if the Special Missions aren't thrown in that is ok, but if they even better.
Antarctica
Transforumer

Postby ER » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:12 am

JeffBohn - thanks for the info. Doesn't look like it'll be my favorite version of Joe, but I have to admit the thought of Zartan using his abilities to sneak into a movie theater is pretty funny.
ER
Transforumer

Postby Gotham95 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:40 am

Great to see the new listings. I will be getting all the Classic Volumes (1-10, 11-20, etc.). I can't wait to see IDW pass Marvel and put out a Volume 6 (51-60). Great stuff!
Gotham95
Comic Book Guy

Postby Eagleyes » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:50 pm

Did anyone else click and read the product descriptions?

GIJOE 128 pages Origins (Hama) says,
It's a new era with new challenges and foes. It's a time of wars fought in city streets and in back alleys - not on open battle fields. There's no such thing as a civilian any more. To face these challenges, the United States military has forged a new group of the best of the best. To pull this team together, they've enlisted the help of their finest general: codenamed Hawk. And he's handpicked the finest fighting force the world has ever known: Duke, Scarlett, Stalker, Heavy Duty, and Snake Eyes! Together they are unbeatable! Together they are G.I. JOE! Now you can witness their origin and see how the world's best defense was forged!

GIJOE 104 pages Movie Prequel says,
The official adaptation of this summer's highly anticipated film G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra picks up where the movie prequels leave off! A case holding weapons of mass destruction sets off a struggle between a group of elite military operatives codenamed G.I. JOE, and a mysterious terrorist outfit that has just reared its ugly head!

GIJOE 160 pages (Dixon) says,
It starts here! G.I. Joe explodes out of the gate in their very first adventure! Destro, the twisted-yet-honorable arms dealer from Scotland is planning something big - a new weapon called the Mass Device that can - and will - change the face of warfare forever! Meanwhile, G.I. Joe is under attack in their own secret base of operations! But who could have found - much less attack - them! Where has Snake Eyes gone and what is his mysterious connection to G.I. Joe member Scarlett? And under the shadows, whispers of a terrible and powerful organization grow louder. Whispers that say one word over and over... "COBRA."
Eagleyes
Transforumer

Postby shanecdavis » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:10 pm

WTF???? Mass Device? Is this a joke???? Man, my expectations for Dixon's run just took a nose dive. Mass Device? Really? What a shame.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby ER » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:56 am

I agree - the mass device in IDW Joe is a huge disappointment after the more realistic tone that was established in #0. Maybe this mass device will be completely different from the one in the cartoon, and it was just called that as a nod. Then it might not be so bad. But if it's just like the one in the 'toon then yeah, I'd be embarrassed to be caught reading it.

So is "Origins" going to feature the weather dominator then, and let me guess - Chuckles will have to put a stop to the pyramid of darkness in "Cobra". (I'm being sarcastic here, everyone)
ER
Transforumer

Postby Eagleyes » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:17 am

Why does IDW go with the science fiction part of GIJOE for their opening arc? I thought this was going to be a more realistic GIJOE?

Remote controlled robots wreak havoc in the PITT?
Destro and the Mass Device?

Why not black ops? special forces? commandos?
Eagleyes
Transforumer

Postby Oracle1984 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:06 pm

Up on Amazon US now.
September 17, 1984. MTME Part I. The world changed forever.
---------------------------
"Nobody ever died for a typewriter." Road-Block, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero (Marvel) #69 (p.4)
---------------------------
(Okay to print)
Oracle1984
Transforumer

Next

Return to G.I. Joe