Clinton and Palin

Yo, Joe! The base of operations for your comments is open and ready for your transmissions.

Moderators: JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Mariah, shanecdavis

Clinton and Palin

Postby Eagleyes » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:53 pm

Can we get a female President in the new GIJOE?
Eagleyes
Transforumer

Postby ny4eva » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:56 pm

Can we get a black President in the new GIJOE?
ny4eva
Forum Zombie

Re: Clinton and Palin

Postby Viceroy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:28 pm

I hope either Obama or McCain win and I definitely hope Biden wins.
As for a female President? I dunno. Its like suggesting GI Joe be run by a woman. And while I'm fond of Scarlett, even I don't think I can see a female running GI Joe. In any event, God's will be done come Nov.4. Don't forget to vote!
Seriously, I wouldn't mind seeing Obama or McCain portrayed in the new Joe series. I don't think it'll ruffle feathers as we've seen Presidents Reagan & Bush AND John F. Kennedy in the pages of GI Joe. As well as BillClinton in at least one issue of Marvel's Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD. So long as there's no real use of the actual name , I don't think it'll be a cause to upset fans.
In DDP's WWIII arc, Mr. Bear 's President did bear a resemblance to G.W. -far better than the generic Prez seen in the early run of AE.
As realism is one of GI Joe's strongest selling points, having the new President as part of the GI Joeverse would add to its credibility.
(A pity we can't mix the GI Joeverse with Tom Clancy's Ryanverse as Jack Ryan would be a President either Generals Colton or Hawk would be proud to serve under).
"Let us renew our faith and our hope. We have every right to dream heroic dreams!"
-President Ronald W. Reagan
"That's how an author should talk! How manly!"
-Michelle Cheung, R.O.D. The TV
Viceroy
Transforumer

Postby Jay West » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:58 pm

Viceroy wrote:I hope either Obama or McCain win and I definitely hope Biden wins.
As for a female President? I dunno. Its like suggesting GI Joe be run by a woman. And while I'm fond of Scarlett, even I don't think I can see a female running GI Joe. In any event, God's will be done come Nov.4. ).

Are you serious? That's pretty offensive if you mean what I think you mean.
Jay West
Comic Book Guy

Postby Darkness » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:24 pm

Viceroy wrote:As for a female President? I dunno. Its like suggesting GI Joe be run by a woman.

I have to agree dude, your statement sounds a tad bit offensive, I'm not sure if you meant it the way it sounded but I urge you to clear up what you meant because you might get some people angry. People are equal regardless of gender or nationality.

What is really confusing is that your a citizen of the Phillipines, and your current sitting president is Gloria Arroyo, a woman.

Please clear this up.
O.K to print 'n' stuff.

I love the cover to TF #3..someone draw it for me:-)

FAN OF THE ORIGINAL ARK!!!!
Darkness
Forum Zombie

Postby latina cubana » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:04 pm

Darkness wrote:
Viceroy wrote:As for a female President? I dunno. Its like suggesting GI Joe be run by a woman.

I have to agree dude, your statement sounds a tad bit offensive, I'm not sure if you meant it the way it sounded but I urge you to clear up what you meant because you might get some people angry. People are equal regardless of gender or nationality.

What is really confusing is that your a citizen of the Phillipines, and your current sitting president is Gloria Arroyo, a woman.

Please clear this up.

Do you mean disagree?

Let's get a latina president.
latina cubana
Red Shirt

Postby shanecdavis » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:04 am

latina cubana wrote:Let's get a latina president.

My name is Shane and I approve this message.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby KJ » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:42 am

Viceroy wrote:I hope either Obama or McCain win and I definitely hope Biden wins.
As for a female President? I dunno. Its like suggesting GI Joe be run by a woman. And while I'm fond of Scarlett, even I don't think I can see a female running GI Joe. In any event, God's will be done come Nov.4. Don't forget to vote!
Seriously, I wouldn't mind seeing Obama or McCain portrayed in the new Joe series. I don't think it'll ruffle feathers as we've seen Presidents Reagan & Bush AND John F. Kennedy in the pages of GI Joe. As well as BillClinton in at least one issue of Marvel's Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD. So long as there's no real use of the actual name , I don't think it'll be a cause to upset fans.
In DDP's WWIII arc, Mr. Bear 's President did bear a resemblance to G.W. -far better than the generic Prez seen in the early run of AE.
As realism is one of GI Joe's strongest selling points, having the new President as part of the GI Joeverse would add to its credibility.
(A pity we can't mix the GI Joeverse with Tom Clancy's Ryanverse as Jack Ryan would be a President either Generals Colton or Hawk would be proud to serve under).

Wow, I didn't know people like you still existed.

Why is that?
Proud Member Of The 'Resurrect Bumper' Club.

...A Club Of One.
KJ
Transforumer

Postby cashel » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:42 am

i'd like airforce one to go down in a blaze of glory just kie in ahm 3. you know the people that re ssurrounding the president have been cobra sincebefore the president's initial election. these guys are our neighbors, our politicians, our secret service, our phone operators, our meter man. they have infiltrated our society for years just like the wraiths in rom. its hard to battle a group that is possibly one half of your own military, politicians, and civilians. scary stuiff just like it should be. doesn't mean i still don't want mindbender and the bunch... just updated a tad. firefly, on the other hand, should stay just like jhe is... and zartan with out the orange mohawk--what was hasbro thinking? cobra is all about infiltyration. that town right next toy you could be a very dangerous place for ateenage to enter the grounds by mistake. again, reminds me of "v" the original television show.
Cobra is the allegorical " transparent administration" that has already won the war. They control the media- education- public opinion- the very govt. Itself. G.I. Joe is theatre and cannot win a p.c. battle lost years ago. Ask mainframe.
cashel
Transforumer

Postby cashel » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:51 am

i'd like airforce one to go down in a blaze of glory just kie in ahm 3. you know the people that re ssurrounding the president have been cobra sincebefore the president's initial election. these guys are our neighbors, our politicians, our secret service, our phone operators, our meter man. they have infiltrated our society for years just like the wraiths in rom. its hard to battle a group that is possibly one half of your own military, politicians, and civilians. scary stuiff just like it should be. doesn't mean i still don't want mindbender and the bunch... just updated a tad. firefly, on the other hand, should stay just like jhe is... and zartan with out the orange mohawk--what was hasbro thinking? cobra is all about infilltration. that town right next toy you could be a very dangerous place for ateenage to enter the grounds by mistake. again, reminds me of "v" the original television show.
Cobra is the allegorical " transparent administration" that has already won the war. They control the media- education- public opinion- the very govt. Itself. G.I. Joe is theatre and cannot win a p.c. battle lost years ago. Ask mainframe.
cashel
Transforumer

Postby cashel » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:53 am

i apologize for the typos. i'm still not typing in this dark arse room.
cashel
Transforumer

Postby Jim » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:12 am

KJ wrote:Wow, I didn't know people like you still existed.

He and Gothic Zartan are infamous amongst certain Joe boards, for very different reasons.
If I ever say anything interesting then it's Ok to print.
Jim
Transforumer

Postby Darkness » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:11 am

latina cubana wrote:
Darkness wrote:

Please clear this up.

Do you mean disagree?

Let's get a latina president.

Actually, I was agreeing with with Jay West about it being offensive.

As for the latina president, being a latino myself, I'd love to see some representation.
O.K to print 'n' stuff.

I love the cover to TF #3..someone draw it for me:-)

FAN OF THE ORIGINAL ARK!!!!
Darkness
Forum Zombie

Postby Viceroy » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:43 pm

Jay West wrote:
As for a female President? I dunno. Its like suggesting GI Joe be run by a woman. And while I'm fond of Scarlett, even I don't think I can see a female running GI Joe. In any event, God's will be done come Nov.4. ).

Are you serious? That's pretty offensive if you mean what I think you mean.

JW, if you read the full post, you'll note, I stated Seriously when I addressed the Obama/McCain portrayals in the IDW Joe series. My fault there- I didn't post a smiley. I was both playing Devils Advocate & being facetious. Sorry about that.
I will admit I am wary of the thought of a female President. If the US does get a female POTUS, I hope she'll prove deserving of the role. I also watched the Palin/McCain debate on CNN beforeI posted anyway. I'm very politically conservative. I'm used to seeing the US under a man as President.
As for why I wish Clancy's Jack Ryan was the US President in the Joeverse, well, one thing I hope IDW's GI Joe will restore is what both Larry Hama and Tom Clancy oft present:a generally positive view of the US government & military. Granted even in the Marvel era, the Joes got saddled with the likes of Gen. Malthus -the only really villainous Juggler to date in the 1980s run; Gen. Crowther has extenuating circumstances (SS BLACKMAILED him; how could he not respond as he did? Even I can understrand why he did what he did.) and the likes of Ambassador Winthrop, and Clancy plagued the US government with wimps like Elizabeth Eliot & Ed Kealty, but, on the whole, the US is seen in a positive light.
Besides, what would be wrong IF the Joeverse fell under the aegis of Jack Ryan's administration? It would be rather cool to work for an honorable President with strong moral integrity and the backbone to support a strong military and Intel community, as well as dealing decisively with foreign countries as they deserve.
What's wrong if GI Joe is portrayed as a confident strike team as seen in the 1980s? The cynicism that prevaded the DDP run has gone much too far enough as it is.
(NB: the current crisis at Wall Street? It bears resemblance to events seen in Clancy's Debt of Honor. Granted in the novel it was a fictional event deliberately done by a computer program, still, what was written there has merit in the here and now. The effect will most affect all of us in terms of CONFIDENCE in the business/financial & economic front. IF we allow it to happen instead of taking action to remedy it ASAP. )
"Let us renew our faith and our hope. We have every right to dream heroic dreams!"
-President Ronald W. Reagan
"That's how an author should talk! How manly!"
-Michelle Cheung, R.O.D. The TV
Viceroy
Transforumer

Postby cashel » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:39 pm

i think i posted in the wrong forum. i apologize. for that and the unreadable typos.
peace and i fear all politicians.
cashel
Transforumer

Next

Return to G.I. Joe