New Trek movie: Prequel or Reimagining? (Re-make)

Trekkies, Trekkers, Trek-newbies, or just fans of "Free Enterprise," are all welcome here.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

New Trek movie: Prequel or Reimagining? (Re-make)

Postby beantownprime » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:53 pm

Is the new movie a prequel or a reimaging of the original Trek? I thought it was a prequel but I read somewhere that it's a reimaging (like Sci-fi reimaged Battlestar Galactica). Anyone know which it is?
beantownprime
Transforumer

Postby DanielW » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:01 pm

What about "time travel screwed up history"?
Mind you, some of the changes/additions set my teeth on edge ie how Kirk beat the Kobyashi Mary - he got some chick he was shagging to change it.

HARDLY the stuff of legends. I much prefer how it was put in Wrath of Khan "I cheated".
*I* not "my girlfriend at the time cheated because I asked her to".

Although I suppose it does speak of Kirk as a tactical thinker, but not a technological thinker, but I much prefer the idea that he did it all himself.
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby beantownprime » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:23 pm

ok :?

Are you saying it's a reimaging? I'm not a big Star Trek guy; I've seen some TNG back in the day and now watching more of it since the Sci-fi channel is showing it. I've seen a few of the movies (I saw some of The Wrath of Khan but not all) and just saw Nemesis on TV last week. I've also seen a few of the original series so I'm not that familiar with continuity. Are you saying the new movie is a reimaging of the original?
beantownprime
Transforumer

Postby Duo Maxwell » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:44 pm

We really won't know until we see the movie, but until I know some more specifics I'm more inclined to see it as a reimagining than a prequel.

What is annoying me about the movie are all of the news bits which seem to have every possible person connected to the project saying "the new movie respects canon" ad nauseum, that it makes me wonder if they're trying to convince us of that, or themselves. I'm all for publicity and promotion, but saying the same thing over and over again will just generate reactions of "Enough already!"

The only news bits which I'm interested in at this point are first shots of how the ship will appear or sneak peeks at some of the sets. Nonetheless, it's still going to be a long wait from now until May.
The preceding post is OK to print.
Duo Maxwell
Transforumer

Postby Ro-Dan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:20 pm

We've been told repeatedly by the filmmakers that this is not a reboot. It's a prequel. It's also a re-imagining in the respect that the sets are updated to match modern day sensibilities. As far as I know, the film will adhere to canon.
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby Novastorm » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:31 pm

From everything I have read, it will be a prequel. But be prepared for some retconning to be going on.

Do enough retconning and it could turn out to be a reimagining. :roll:
I dont know you and yet I feel a kinship...kinship.
Novastorm
Transforumer

Postby Ro-Dan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:04 am

Novastorm wrote:Do enough retconning and it could turn out to be a reimagining. :roll:
That may not be a bad thing.
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby Liebkraft » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:05 am

I hope it will be a Prequel, I'm not really happy with all this talk that they will show their own view of the whole thing but will stay with the canon and fans will like it and so on. Normally this kind of talk happens with films that turn out oo be crap, therefore I'm not really sure if Abrahams really knows what he's doing...
'Play with friends, be a Hero!'
www.halle-der-helden.at (we do RPG)
Liebkraft
Forum Zombie

Postby Ro-Dan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:37 pm

Well, Trekmovie.com has a brand new article on this very subject:

Pegg: Star Trek Not A Remake
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby Duo Maxwell » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:50 pm

It may not be a remake in the strictest sense of the word, but "prequel" doesn't sound like an accurate word, either. There are certain things, which rationalizers will swoop in with "they never explicitly said..." arguments, which don't quite fit in with what has come before.

McCoy's presence could potentially be a continuity issue, as he wasn't the medical officer during the Pike years, nor during "Where No Man Has Gone Before." Seeing as how there is no mention of Doctors Boyce or Piper on the IMDb entry (yeah, I know, not the most reliable but they haven't been mentioned in the myriad of reports from other Trek sites), it certainly looks like a retcon may be in effect.

So, based on what I know thus far ("thus far" being the key words), I wouldn't say this is is a movie which you could just plug right in before the pilot and have all the pieces fit. I still stand by my previous opinion that it will ultimately end up as a reimagining of the original era.
Duo Maxwell
Transforumer

Postby Liebkraft » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:53 am

all this talk about 'reboot' and 'reimagine' reminds me a bit of the idea of the B5-creator for a reboot of Star Trek. I mean, I've read his script about it and have to say it would have been a good remake, like the new BSG.
But Mr. Abrahams will have to decide, either he does a remake (or whatever) but this will NOT be Star Trek then, or he does a prequel, but then he HAS TO STICK WITH THE ESTABLISHED FACT for gods sake!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
'Play with friends, be a Hero!'
www.halle-der-helden.at (we do RPG)
Liebkraft
Forum Zombie

Postby Duo Maxwell » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:25 am

According to co-scriptwriter Robert Orci (from a Trekweb.com article):

"Our version of Star Trek is not exactly a prequel." said Orci "It is in some ways and you will have to see it to label it exactly. Canon, that is a word that was invented for Star Trek, meaning, does it fall within the continuity of this forty-year puzzle. But it was amazing when we went back to look at Star Trek, no one had ever done the story about how the original crew came together."

Interesting use of words at the start, "our version." Plus, the word "canon" wasn't invented for Star Trek, though it and Star Wars are perhaps the most well known examples of usage. One thing which is already established fact in the Star Trek universe is the original crew we are familiar with didn't all end up as part of the Enterprise crew at the same time. Chronologically, Spock was part of the crew for upwards of ten years prior to Kirk's arrival.

However, concerning these particular scriptwriters also wrote the Bayformers movie, I'm not surprised that things don't really make much sense. Nonetheless, I'm still expecting a good experience with Star Trek.
Duo Maxwell
Transforumer

Return to Star Trek