Phil Kost gives 36 spoilers on his GIJOE comic forum

Yo, Joe! The base of operations for your comments is open and ready for your transmissions.

Moderators: JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Mariah, shanecdavis

Phil Kost gives 36 spoilers on his GIJOE comic forum

Postby Eagleyes » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:58 pm

I cut/paste this from Phil's post.
WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW
http://www.joereloaded.com/forum/viewto ... &start=150

Ok...I am going to give bullet spoilers for AE #36.

This will in NO WAY adequately describe the scenes that you will see in the issue.

- The flashback scene and the scene with Destro and the Baroness leadng ATHEANA you have already seen.

- Joe informate and "Major Bludd" meet up in the woods...both calling in reenforcements.

- General Rey collects the President from "protective custody" in Petra, Jordan

- The team reunites for the final push against Cobra Commander

- Velocity is killed by Blackout

- Flashback scene of Delta killing his buddy in Cobra from the previous issue.

- Two pages of cameos (12 panels) of Joes helping out around the world.
To include: General Flagg III, Pysche Out, Bazooka, Sci-Fi, Tunnel Rat, Deep Six, Lift Ticket, Ripcord, Leatherneck, Barbeque, Blowtorch, Cutter, Lifeline, Doc (Carla Greer), Grunt

- The Joes begin their assault on Cobra Commander's strong hold. Hawk is left as the rear guard and Velocity's body is seen nearby.

- The fight begins.....and the Dreadnoks show up, "Major Bludd" is revealed to be Zartan.

- The Stall brothers face off.

- Storm Shadow and Scrap-Iron face off.

- Destro and Alexander face off on the next page....and Alexander is shot in the back by Amanda.....The Baroness then shoots Amanda

- Next is a two page spread with Joes, Cobras and Dreadnoks all going at it.

- The real Major Bludd comes up behind Sparks...and the Cobra informat saves Sparks.

- The Cobra informat turns out to be Recondo.

- Delta and Nick Baily face off and have a "heart to heart."

- Firefly and SE face off again.

- Zartan and Storm Shadow have a scene.

- Colton and CC face off, with Colton being shot (non-fatal)

These next two pages are my favorite:

Cobra Commander is on the run and out of no where Hawk comes zooming in on Velocity's jet pack and slams into CC's back.

Stunned CC trys to crawl away, but Hawk is faster and beats CC into submission.

Mark did an amazing job with the dialogue:

CC: "Look at you Hawk. A pathetic CRIPPLE, you're not even really a man anymore."

Hawk: ""Man"? You don't even know the meaning of the word."

Hawk: "You could take my ARMS, my LEGS, my EYES, and I'd STILL come after you."

The rest of the Joes come running up.

Duke: "Hawk?!" "How the Hells?! Are you...."

Hawk: "At ease, people. At ease...It's over."

Hawk: "It's finally over."

- The next three pages are 18 more cameo panels with Colton narrating what is going on with the other Joes, the captured Cobras, Destro being tried at the Hague, the Baroness in hiding, and the Dreadnoks....being Dreadnoks.

- The next scene is Colton, Hawk and the President meeting at the White House.
Key line here: "GI Joe is fully activated. No red tape, no restrictions."

- The next two page spread with the Americas Elite crew as Hawk tells them the good news.

- The next page has Hawk visiting CC in prison.
CC: "You think you've won."
Hawk: "Negative Commander. I KNOW we've won."

CC: "As usual, you're incapable of seeingthe bigger picture. You may have temporarily defeated me, but the world that made me is still out there."

CC: "And every day, that world will cause my legend to grow. They'll graffiti my image on the sattered walls in war-torn neighborhoods."

CC: "Disseminate my words on cassette tapes and message boards. When war breaks out again...and it will...you'll have ME to thank for it."

Final page:

Hawk: "Maybe Commander."

Hawk: "But understand THIS:"

Hawk: "No matter what happens..."

Hawk: "YOU won't be taking part in ANY of it."

During this page the camera pans out showing that CC is being held in an underwater prison in the middle of the ocean.

Final panel shows the sunsetting....

END.
Last edited by Eagleyes on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eagleyes
Transforumer

Postby PrncsLeia » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:17 pm

Talk about packing a lot of action into one comic......I LIKE IT!! 8)
Non illigitamus carborundum~Vos mos non effrego mihi
1st Lady of the ~Joe-Luminati~
PrncsLeia
Slayer

Postby Phil Kost » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:38 pm

ummm...could we just link it next time?
ANY and ALL GI Joe comics discussed at
Phil Kost
Forum Zombie

Postby Eagleyes » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:08 am

sorry phil. didnt think of that
Eagleyes
Transforumer

Postby KJ » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:30 am

Or put it in white text, so you have to highlight it to read it

I don't think spoiler tags work on here

Lemme check

[spoiler] test [/spoiler]

EDIT: That's a no
Proud Member Of The 'Resurrect Bumper' Club.

...A Club Of One.
KJ
Transforumer

Postby Flint » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:22 pm

AWESOME!!!!!!!! :D Can't wait to Read this one!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Flint
Red Shirt

Postby Eagleyes » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:02 pm

$hi+ hits the fan tomorrow
Eagleyes
Transforumer

Postby Straight-Edge » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:45 am

Hit Midtown comics at 10am this morning, to get the retailer exclusive. $25 bucks is the ride they took me for, but even a shop that orders in bulk like them only got two copies... so I can understand the beating they served my wallet.

Read thru the issue on the train ride back to Brooklyn. And my final estimate of the WWIII arc is...

For all the bumps and bruises along the way... I liked it. The ending tied up every loose end it could. And if we hadn't been on this board, talking over every possible answer to the mysteries built up over the course of the story, I'd have been genuinely surprised by some of the reveals in this issue.

But, of course, I have my problems (Here there be SPOILERS):

- Storm Shadow and Zartan... when last we saw were at an uncomfortable "alliance", friendly if not friends. In this issue, Storm Shadow calls him a dog and seems to want revenge for the Hard Master thing... one of those misguided DDP subplots that contradicts Storm Shadow's change of heart *halfway* thru the Marvel series. It wasn't needed, and it didn't get a resolution so why bother?

- Cripple Freak Hawk... tackles... the Commander, and it's all over. Whoopity. With so many subplots getting better than satisfactory endings, the main storyline ends with a thud. Literally, Cobra Commander's chin hits the floor, and that's it. Colton gets shot in the back, and there's almost no explanation how he's alive at the end. This just sucked. All of it. The core Joes entire thrust in this issue was "exposition, exposition, The End."

- What the hell was the "place where it all began"? I don't think they ever gave it a name, or I forgot it. But all of a sudden... EVERYONE knew where it was. Major Bludd (who was paid by Zartan to stay out of it!) Firefly, Scrap Iron, the Dreadnoks... Talk about not at all a secret!

- The Dreadnoks coming in on Zartan's command, "saving the day" et al. Didn't work for me. Zartan breaking ties with them at the end was (for me) admission that his 180 turn at the start of the DDP series was completely contradictory to his mindset at the end of the Marvel series. The Dreadnoks can survive without him.

- Wow, so Rourke brought Veangeance back from the Dark Side with a solitary "I hear ya". Lame. David Lame.

- Storm Shadow paying back Scrap-Iron for the Soft Master's death felt a bit tacked on... especially with Stormy giving up the vengeance bit in 1988...

- Rey rescues the President... who we haven't seen in 6 issues, I believe. There was nothing climactic, suspenseful, or even useful in that subplot. Another thing that sounded cool... but then revealed itself as suck.

- The Post Script. Did we really need 5 pages of repetitive "Yo Joe, this is what we fight for" garbage? What a waste of time... The 2-page spread of the main cast giving the battlecry should've been the finale.

- Corny subterranean prison. Yeah, this was exactly what we needed as the final image, a rip-off, directly, of X-Men.

Lots of good in this issue. I think the conclusion of the Barrel Roll/Blackout storyline was as good as it could get (without flat-out death), Firefly vs the Arashikages was good enough, even if we couldn't see Firefly die. Recondo's reveal (as I said) would've been straight out of left field if I hadn't read the boards and saw the speculation. That said, Bludd being there for his cumuppance *was* straight out of left field *because* Zartan paid him off to get lost.

And last but not least... the Joes don't get retired at the end... they get reassigned to Fort Wadsworth (a military base that hasn't existed in years). For this New Yorker, I am happy about that. It doesnt make sense, it's hackneyed fan service... but that's the beauty of it. When you're the fan being serviced, you dont care how bad it is... you love it!

NOTE: Reposted from Phil's boards.
Straight-Edge
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby vguzz2 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:39 pm

I agree with exactly everything you have said straight-edge. This last issue was totally anti climatic, jumped around too much, and I'll say it... just plain sucked. The underwater prison segment was extremely lame... Like After over 20 years of terrorism being responsible for the death of thousands the US goverment isn't going to put him to death..here's a better idea lets spend millions of dollars and put him in an underwater prison???

Um Colton gets shot and a few pages later he's standing in the White house like it never happened. Last issue had a cover that led me to believe that there would be a big fight between him and cc and the whole thing is done in like 3 small panels..

General Rey had absolutely no point in the entire story.. the Red Shadows ending sucked HARD a couple issues ago where Dela gets out of prison.. why was she even in the story, just to get smacked around by Storm Shadow?

I'll be honest. I'm glad this WW3 story arc is over. It was horrid. Lets start the new GI Joe like a couple years later and brush this entire debacle under the rug asap
vguzz2
Transforumer

Postby Phil Kost » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:50 pm

vguzz2 wrote: Lets start the new GI Joe like a couple years later and brush this entire debacle under the rug asap

Considering most likely everything for the past 25 years is getting swept under the rug....you'll get your wish...just without the "couple years later" thing.
Phil Kost
Forum Zombie

Postby vguzz2 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:11 pm

Nothing has been announced yet Phil. The only thing that has is you completely spoiling the last issue a week before its release. Why? i have no idea
vguzz2
Transforumer

Postby Phil Kost » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:45 pm

vguzz2 wrote:Why? i have no idea

Ummm...maybe because I got AE #36 while I was at Wizard World Chicago on Thursday night...along with about a 1,000 other people who all had the opportunity to buy the same issue...and I decided to post the spoilers on my site.

Then Eagleyes graciously copied and pasted it over here.
Phil Kost
Forum Zombie

Postby Fyrefly » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:50 pm

My blanket is inexplicably wet. Anyone else?
New And Improved. Still Better Than You.

Fyrefly
Slayer

Postby KJ » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:29 pm

vguzz2 wrote:Nothing has been announced yet Phil. The only thing that has is you completely spoiling the last issue a week before its release. Why? i have no idea

Maybe I'm missing something, but it is clearly marked as containing spoilers.
Proud Member Of The 'Resurrect Bumper' Club.

...A Club Of One.
KJ
Transforumer

Postby Ro-Dan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:09 am

It is kinda odd that we're reviewing/discussing a Devil's Due comic at IDW's website. But, I must say, I agree with a lot of you that have said this issue was anti-climactic. After a great build-up it all ended in a thud. Literally. Cobra Commander is tackled and that's it? Wow.

Bring it on, IDW! :D
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Next

Return to G.I. Joe