Locke & Key

Discuss newly solicited books, current IDW titles, or anything else randomly related to IDW and their slate of books.

Moderators: Ryall, JohnBarber, Bobby Curnow, Denton J. Tipton, Mariah

Locke & Key

Postby Dodsworth » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:42 pm

I didn't see a thread for this, but if I missed it, please merge away!

Getting Joe Hill to do a series is a great coup and promises a solid horror title.

We've reviewed it over at www.fractalmatter.com which will hopefully give you all an idea of what to expect
Dodsworth
Comic Book Guy

Postby Ryall » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:12 am

And yet another great L&K review here, too: http://www.brokenfrontier.com/reviews/details.php?id=1744

The first issue sold out in one day, which bodes well for the whole series. And makes me happy, since I think this book is so great.
Chris Ryall
Chief Creative Officer/Editor-in-Chief
IDW Publishing
Ryall
Transforumer

Postby Rumble » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:01 am

yeah,i missed the first issue,
well,i will defninitely get the tpb when it's released,

cool if Joe does more comics,

peace.
Rumble
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Dan Taylor » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:10 pm

I have been, and will forever be, a fan of the art of Gabriel Rodriguez -- one of the best in the biz.
Peace...
Dan
Twitter - GeekPunk - Facebook
Dan Taylor
I'm kind of a big deal

Dimension locks up Joe Hill's 'Key'

Postby Dan Taylor » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:14 am

From Variety.com...

Dimension Films has acquired screen rights to "Locke & Key," a graphic novel written by Joe Hill that will be developed as a potential franchise.

Hill, son of author Stephen King, made his first screen sale with his debut novel, "Heart-Shaped Box," which Warner Bros. is developing.

Dimension bought film and TV rights to "Locke & Key" from IDW Publishing and will develop the property as a feature. John Davis is producing.

Story revolves around a trio of children who become the caretakers of Keyhouse, a mansion in New England that is full of secrets and magic. The kids discover doors that take them to different places, give them powers and even alter gender and skin color. Behind one door is a dangerously violent creature.

Dimension has had a lot of luck with King -- "1408" and "The Mist" came from King novellas, and Eli Roth is directing a feature adaptation of his novel "The Cell" -- but Dimension chief Bob Weinstein said that wasn't why he bought the property.

"I love what Joe wrote. There are fun elements that horror fans love, and it feels like a franchise where you can feel satisfied with each film, but there is a door left open for the next one," said Weinstein, who put the deal together with exec veep Andrew Kramer.

IDW released the first issue of "Locke & Key" on Wednesday, and will release the second volume March 5. The plan is to do three six-issue installments, a total of 18 comics. The film will be exec produced by Ted Adams, CEO of IDW, the same comic company behind "30 Days of Night," which was also turned into a film.
Peace...
Dan
Twitter - GeekPunk - Facebook
Dan Taylor
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby TomWaltz » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:03 pm

IDW has released a comic book trailer for its newest comic, Locke & Key by Joe Hill (Heart Shaped Box) and Gabriel Rodriguez (Beowulf).

The video is appearing on YouTube. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ploWij_i7Pc
Tom Waltz

Senior Staff Writer / Editor
IDW Publishing
tomw@idwpublishing.com
TomWaltz
Slayer

Postby Dwight L. MacPherson » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:40 am

This a dazzling debut for Joe Hill. Gabriel--as always--really shines as well. This is, without question, one of the best first issues I've read in some time.

Kudos to all involved!
Dwight L. MacPherson
Slayer

Postby Ro-Dan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:22 am

I was able to snag an issue at a local comic book store but I haven't read it yet. Hopefully I'll get a chance today.
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby Skywarp » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:12 pm

Really enjoyed this issue - loved the art. Took me a while to work out exactly what was happening, but it all came together really well in the end. Can't wait for next issue.

'Heart Shaped Box' was an awesome read, by the way!
Skywarp
Slayer

Postby Ro-Dan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:48 pm

I read it earlier today. The art was beautiful and the premise is interesting. I'll have to re-read to get a better understanding of it.
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby Commander Shockwav » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:21 am

Read the series.

This feels more like a horror movie made into a comic book than anything else I've read in a long time.

And if some movie producer hasn't snathced this sucker up yet for a movie, I'm 100% certain it will be a movie in due time.

Horror is not my cup of tea. Even still, this story is unforgettable.

Unforgettable in both good and bad ways. In a good way because Hill's writing, dialogue, and Gabriel's art are excellent. Unforgettable in a bad way because it was over-the-top gruesome at some points, which is not to my liking.

Could the same effect be created without the extreme violence? I think so, because the strong suit of this tale is how it's presented, having a really cinematic The Ring-like feel, like it's more of a movie unfolding before you than a comic. The tone is very dark, and sometimes when you go heavy on the darkness, the end result is somewhat of a a bad taste in the mouth.

Presentation and dialogue are "A"-quality material.

Give it a "B" overall simply because, as I say, over-the-top gore and violence ain't my cup of tean.
Commander Shockwav
Transforumer

Postby Rumble » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:10 pm

to let you know guys,
the Locke and Key HC is out October 1
I missed out on the first series,though have ordered that tpb,and will get the second and thereafter series,

peace.
Rumble
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby sailships » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:08 am

I just picked up the HC of this this past weekend and read nearly all of it in one sitting...

What a GREAT suprise of a story! I can't wait to see how the rest goes. But, I tend to read things in trades, so it might be a while for me!

Can't wait for more tho!
sailships
Red Shirt

Postby BigRed » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:59 am

Locke & Key is truly awesome, even my girlfriend, who's not really a comic person, enjoyed the first hard copy.

I've just read the 2nd issue of the second arc and one, probably insignificant, thing confuses me. Why is Tyler eating ice-cream out of his hat?

Is this a common occurrence in the US of A? Does it have some significance I'm missing?
BigRed
Private

Postby sailships » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:54 am

I haven't seen the issue, but that said, when I was younger I remember an ice-cream stand near me that would sell sundaes in little plastic baseball league hats.
sailships
Red Shirt

Next

Return to IDW Projects