TF Artists:Pro's and Non-Pro Please post your Tips & Tec

This is the place to show us what you can do. Post your best shots, covers, sequential art, whatever you'd like And yes, this includes Fan-Fic, too (but not Slash-Fic)...

Moderators: tronprogram, JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Denton J. Tipton, Mariah, Richter, Beachcomber

Postby HdE » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:26 pm

Thanks again for the comments!

I've found a way of creating speech balloons in Photoshop CS which works okay. I've used it in the Mosaics I've worked on.

Thing is, I really need to use more oval shapes for the balloons. This isn't that easy to do in Photoshop (at least, not for me. Not yet!)

Perhaps this is a little weird of me, but I actually enjoy the process of lettering, and creating borders and panel outlines. It kinda goes along withthe design of the page, which is an aspect of comics that I really enjoy. As a result, I'm always looking for ways of bettering my skills and widening my skill set.

It's the whole issue of creating them as customisable vector art that I struggle with. Brain...is... too... feeble. Must...try...harder...

And Corel Draw just baffles me. I've never understood HOW you're supposed to draw anything with the pen tool! :lol:
I letter comics. Quite a bit.

HdE
Transforumer

Postby chrisl » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:39 am

Illustrator is great for lettering - really crisp + easy to make changes.

Good tutorial over at:
http://www.balloontales.com/
chrisl
Slayer

Postby Kurisama » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:00 am

Well, u could just use the use the line tool or "U" in PS, with the box w/rounded edges or the ellipse shape, hold shift to make them symmetrical, or not for free form.

Then apply a stroke in the layer styles, adjust the colour and thickness. Just a little tedious when lining up with the text boxes - but u get the hang of it soon enough.
- Visit my DeviantART Page! - Oh yeah, I guess I'm ok to print too :D
-------------------------------------------------------
Kurisama
Transforumer

Postby HdE » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:30 am

Kurisama wrote:Well, u could just use the use the line tool or "U" in PS, with the box w/rounded edges or the ellipse shape, hold shift to make them symmetrical, or not for free form.

Then apply a stroke in the layer styles, adjust the colour and thickness.

This is pretty much what I do right now. It works fine with rounded rectangles, but I'm not so keen on the clairity of the oval shapes.

Chris mentioned Illustrator above - sadly not a piece of software I have. :( I'm pretty sure Corel Draw will do it, but I'm still learning the ins and outs of that.

Thanks again for all the input, fellas!

HdE
Transforumer

Postby podinglite » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:41 pm

Oh my. The Mosaics I worked on aren't uploaded yet, but here we go:

What kind of pencils do you use?

Regular old mechanicals that you can buy in any drugstore. If for some reason I feel FOR SRS, I swear by Staedtler.

Layouts or straight to buisiness?
Layouts first, always. Sometimes I'll immediately get an idea in my head that's exactly what I want, but usually it's better for me to sketch out a bunch of fast and dirty thumbnails.

Inking:
Aaaahahaha, I uh... hate inking. :D I always always lose the energy that the pencils had.

Pens?
If I have to ink, it's Faber Castells, Copic Multiliners or Staedtlers, in order of preference. I used to use Sakura Microns, but I had problems with their nibs bending or just disappearing entirely into the barrel. It was very strange and now I store all my pens caps-down out of paranoia. ... Now I kind of wonder if that's the way you're SUPPOSED to store them to avoid that problem? ._.

Brushes?
Well, I don't really use brushes on Transformers art, because they tend to make my lines a lot looser. I really prefer to ink with brushes or brush pens than with pens. I'm not very picky about brushes to ink with, and in fact my favorite inking brush has no label on it at all, and I'm terribly afraid I'll lose it someday and won't be able to find a replacement. :< To be honest though, it feels like one of those really cheap brushes you pull out of the ten cent bin at Michaels.

Both?
Give me a bruusshhhh!

Digital? What program?
Photoshop CS3.

Color?
Yessss. CS3 again.

Referance? Toys? Books?
I usually use screenshots, cars, or other art. Don't get me wrong, I love toys, but they'll have those weird little areas that just don't... work. (Bay movie Jazz's arms, oh man)

Inspiration?
I'm not sure! It's a fickle thing. Sometimes I'll think of a weird idea I want to draw, sometimes I see something I want to paint, sometimes I'll just be in the bathroom and get an idea. :P Go figure.
podinglite
Red Shirt

Postby Shinobi Rendar » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:54 pm

Here's a little tut on how to draw Movie Ironhide's face I posted at my DeviantArt http://shinobirendar.deviantart.com/art ... -133596016

Hopefully someone gets something out of it :P
Shinobi Rendar
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby TypH » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:45 pm

anyone have any tips for someone who might be looking into coloring an lettering his own stuff but sadly has never done anything like that before. What would be the best programs to use I know the pros/experienced people an such like us Photoshop but I heard thats pretty expensive so anything else out there that might be good for a new person at it whos just starting out?
I'm The Screams In The Halls,The Writing On The Walls, The Fear In Your Soul & The Hate In Your Heart-
TypH
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby podinglite » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:32 pm

There are a couple of freeware programs that you can use for coloring, but frankly nothing really matches up to the stuff you can buy.

Gimp and Inkscape are free, respectively for raster and vectors. I've heard good things about ArtRage, which is NOT free, but comparatively cheap. I've seen great painting results out of it, but I don't know how it does on lettering, because I've never used it. ArtRage will run you $20-$80, depending on which version you buy.

If you happen to be a student, you can also get software like Photoshop at a discounted rate at sites like studica or journeyed. It's still expensive, but better than dishing out $700.
podinglite
Red Shirt

Postby KMWDavis » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:57 am

All right I'll take a stab at this:

What kind of pencils do you use? Normally, Mechanical pencils. I buy red and blue clicky pencil lead and go to town (cheeeeeeppppppp).

Layouts or straight to business?

I always do rough work first XD helps in the end (even if your rough is just a poorly doodled stick figure)

Inking:

I like to ink, but as of late allot of my stuff has gone straight from pencil to finished product (I tend to like to paint)

Pens?

Microns

Digital? What program?

I use Asobe Photoshop CS2 It works well for me.

Color?

I LOVE to color stuff XD

Referance? Toys? Books?

I have about 8 million art books I always keep on hand, though my right hand books at the moment have been the Allspark Almanac and the All hail megatron comics >_>. I also have a gaint spider man who is better then any other anatomical reference piece you can get.

Inspiration?

To many to list XD Alphonse Mucha, Bill Forester, all the folks at massive black >_>

Yeah XD
KMWDavis
Private

Postby HdE » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:25 pm

KMWDavis wrote:
What kind of pencils do you use? Normally, Mechanical pencils. I buy red and blue clicky pencil lead and go to town (cheeeeeeppppppp).

So you CAN get blue lead for mechanical pencils!

HdE
Transforumer

Postby Dreadwind » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:01 pm

All colours, even gold and silver... prettty! :)
- OK to post should I ever say anything remotely interesting...

'...remind "error detectives"...: "It's a CARTOOOOON!"' -Corey Burton
Dreadwind
Transforumer

Postby HdE » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:43 pm

Woo! Here's a thread that deserved to be resurrected, and no mistake!

I've just been looking over the previous posts, and... my how times have changed! I've been using Adobe Illustrator now for about a year to letter comics. There's simply no going back...

To make this post a little more useful, I've got a question I'd like to throw open to any and all:

I'm currently putting a new portfolio together with aims of pushing my services as an inker. A few peeps have been very gracious to offer me pencilled pages to do my thing on. I'm known for inking with disposable tech pens, but looking to upgrade to better quality pens in the near future.

I'm wondering - what diameter nibs do you guys use? What do you find gives you the best control and precision?

HdE
Transforumer

Postby Dreadwind » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:56 pm

podinglite wrote:Inking:
...I always always lose the energy that the pencils had.

That's a good way of putting it... personally, my inking ruins a serviceable drawing... lol!

Dreadwind
Transforumer

Postby HdE » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:13 pm

Where inking's concerned it's an area I've personally worked hard at improving in over the last few months.

My thinking is that a tight pencil job should equate to even tighter inks. I've recently started using my curves and straight edges a lot more than I previously did, and that definitely helps.

HdE
Transforumer

Postby Dreadwind » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:20 pm

That's a good idea. I like the Pred inks you did...

My tip:

Go buy expensive pens for inking from Staedtler-- made in Germany.

Then discover a cheap junk pen made in China works better. :x

Dreadwind
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Art