TF Regeneration One #86: Reactions, Reviews, Spoilers

Transformers is here! Discuss anything TF-related.

Moderators: ladywreck, tronprogram, bassbot, Ryall, JohnBarber, Cattleprod, CarlosG86

Postby Chris McFeely » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:00 am

dubbilex wrote:I'm surprised there's not more talk about this "warrior gene" business. I really hope it turns out to be misdirection or an error on Scorponok's part or something. Because the idea that whether someone's Autobot or Decepticon (and by extensions, whether they're good or evil) is not a matter of individual choice but genetics... Wow. No, sir, I do not like it one bit.

It's utter arse, but it's an idea introduced in the late Marvel issues, so this is obviously Furman following up on that.
Chris McFeely
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby dtrip » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:37 am

Yeah, not really a fan of the burial pit / vapourising bit. It was also shown throughout the Marvel run that it was basically impossible to completely kill a Transformer. Hence why all that lot were in the Ark in the first place!

(Also I really don't see the 'bots doing it to their own dead. Grim.)

Still - really enjoying this. It's pretty hokey and fun but that's what I want, dangnammit.
MEET ME IN THE BASEMENT :: an online radio show, playing new and old indie rock type stuff. basically, great music and awkward periods of silence. Thursdays, 10pm UK time. YOU SHOULD LISTEN.
dtrip
Transforumer

Postby zhgingaah » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:58 am

Chris McFeely wrote:It's utter arse, but it's an idea introduced in the late Marvel issues, so this is obviously Furman following up on that.

That your considered argument on the nature versus nurture debate, my good man? :wink:
*All my nonsense tapped out here is okay to print*
zhgingaah
Transforumer

Postby MRGREWCOCK » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:17 am

zhgingaah wrote:
ATrain wrote:Question to marvel readers, isnt shockwave dead? like brain module crushed and stuff?

Only in a (Marvel UK) future that (now) never came to pass - that was during the Legacy of Unicron. After Shockwave saved the day in Time Wars, it was always probable that the 2008 (IIRC) we saw then would never occur...

...and the last we saw of him in the main run was aboard the ark with Starscream before Megatron and Galvatron knocked the proverbial out of him as it fell from orbit.

Mmmm, dangling plot threads... :wink:

Shockwave is back in the next issue (#87) ;-)
David J. Grew
MRGREWCOCK
Transforumer

Postby Caesar » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:47 am

I figure that the bots and cons that were vap'd in the pit 'o' death were damaged beyond repair probably because of the tampering Megatron did to their brain. I would think once you cut out half of someone's brain your not going to rebuild that bot, hence better of dead.
In Furman and Roberts I trust!

Caesar 2012 AD
Caesar
Forum Zombie

Postby Caesar » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:53 am

One of the things that bug me is it taking Slag 16 yrs to be affected by the Nucleaon. You would think it would have popped up a bit sooner like say 20yrs ago or so. The warrior gene thing doesn't bug me so much as of yet because we humans have gene that make us more or less aggressive and the mixture of hormones can alter this so way not TF's?
In Furman and Roberts I trust!

Caesar 2012 AD
Caesar
Forum Zombie

Postby dday515 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:26 am

I actually really enjoyed this one! Multiple plots moving along, and something happened in each one of them! That really was missing in the first arc, so hopefully it will continue along. It makes me ready for the next issue, which is the first time that's really happened with this series!
dday515
Private

Postby MRGREWCOCK » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:54 pm

This felt very much like #76., ie after the Unicron battle #76 set up a few new storylines that ran in tandem. Again here with #86, after the conclusion to the Megatron/Prime clash we now have several storylines running in tandem - my favourite kind of Furman writing!! :twisted:

I have high hopes for the remaining run of Regeneration :twisted:

There are some exciting strands to pluck at here:

1) Scorponok's machinations.
2) Spike's desire to get the Autobots off Earth and away!
3) Soundwave/Bludgeons acquirement of Thunderwings Matrix soaked remains.
4) Starscream/Galvatron and the wreck of the Ark.

Yep I can see exciting times ahead!!! :D
David J. Grew
MRGREWCOCK
Transforumer

Postby Bass X0 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:42 am

I didn't like the Dinobots turning on Grimlock.

Thats an IDW characteristic, not a Marvel charactristic. I'm okay with some elements of IDW continuity spreading to other continuties but not that.

I'm not exactly excited about Regeneration One. I expected 1991 Furman to return but instead we got 2012 Furman. There's a huge difference in terms of writing style and direction.
Okay to print.
Bass X0
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby General Tekno » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:59 am

So I have a general commentary/analysis, too, on why it took so long for Slag to be affected by the Nucleon.

Namely, when Grimlock got affected, his body locked up because it was undergoing a chrysalis to the next form - the body itself was changing. And then Hi-Q sped it up via his Powermaster magic powers.

None of the other TFs affected had physical changes to the extent that Grimlock did, so it's possible those showed up later. As well, the fact that Nucleon permeates the entire being of a lifeform does explain why Hi-Q spawned an Action Master Optimus Prime, to an extent.
Big Time Toons - updated Tuesdays!

And what I say is OK to Print!
General Tekno
Transforumer

Postby Iacon_Pax » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:01 pm

Sorry to say, but I was not a big fan of this one.

First of all, and I know I'm in the minority here, but the Grimlock/Scorponok matter just doesn't personally interest me here. While I liked other elements of what was going on at the same time in the old run (Fortress Max was a favorite), I think I'm in the 1% that just never really cared to read about Grimlock.

Beyond that, I didn't like the vaporizing thing. First of all, if you could vaporize Transformers like Megatron from orbit... um... why wouldn't you have employed that previously? More significantly, Transformers in Marvel seemed to almost always be getting repaired, no matter the extent of the damage (I know I'm exaggerating here, but not much... kind of if you didn't get melted into a puddle of metal, there was a chance), so killing Springer and melting all of those Autobots and Decepticons seemed... hasty.

Why wouldn't, after all of the emotive dialog last issue, Prime put Megatron in the mass grave? Instead, Cosmos plays the crane grabber game with him?

I also really did not like the idea of the Transformer CNA. First of all, the key to the CNA is LITERALLY SHAPED LIKE A KEY? Second of all, it is in their CNA whether they will be Autobots or Decepticons? So, no one should ever be able to change sides? Your mind has nothing to do with it? So why bother trying to talk Megatron or anyone into a different philosophy?
Didn't Furman or another writer do something like this during the Dreamwave era, with Autobots and Decepticons picking new protoforms to be Autobots or Decepticons, as though it was part of their core programming, and not a reasoned choice?
Iacon_Pax
Transforumer

Postby drae77 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:26 pm

I know that this series is written to be the end all be all so certain things (like deaths) must be final etc. But it shouldn't fly in the face of what's already known in the same continuity. for example these cybertronians have been hit by megatrons fusion cannon (predaking, but hey we're fine!), fried by Omega's plasma cannon and put on cold storage only to b reanimated. Fused together as one being and thrown through interdimensional space. Cooked by Starscream's underbase Magic, blown up entirely (Optimus, Starscream when meeting the underbase) and they're all still kicking. T

here didn't exist anything strong enough to 'vaporize' them. Then to just throw them all in a hole, fire a beam from space and suddenly a few dozen TF's are no more? and why do that on earth? if the whole point is to get the cybertronian presence off earth, why chance that some scrap of technology (or an entire being like Starscream/Galvatron) was still rumbling around? So will Spike physically keep Op and the autobot warriors from taking the ark with them?

And what sense does it make to say, 'you must leave, its because of you the decepticons are here in the first place. you brought your war here. they came back and you abandoned us. so now get out of here and never come back, nevermind if the most powerful decepticon of all may yet be loose here along with Shockwave and Starscream. We couldn't possibly know that of course, but we could also just allow a permanent and rotating team to remain for just such an emergency. Or hey, perhaps a way to get in touch with you guys?'

I also struggle to find any interest in the 'machinations' of scorponok as they concern grimlock and the dinobots. Mainly bc well this was already done in MD's.. and i don't find them to be natural rivals. shrug. Can't explain that fully but it just doesn't fit for me. And are we saying that Soundwave teleported out with the remains of Twing before HotRod fried the place? I thought they gambled and lost bc Hotrod ultimately made the kill decision. I'll have to read it again. Don't dislike this series.. but after 20 years off finding it hard to get back in the groove
My opinions are just that. If my context is missed due to colloquialism or cultural mix up, I'm reachable by PM and glad to get understanding. Pursue peace with all men. :)
Until that day, til all are one. OK to Print
drae77
Transforumer

Postby Iacon_Pax » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:35 pm

Oh, one more thing:
Being a big fan of Blackrock from the old series, and how he bucked the trend and actually seemed to have a conscience, as well as not jumping to conclusions and being willing to weigh all the facts and see that the Autobots were good, and fight for what was right.
Unfortunately, this just doesn't seem like the Blackrock sitting next to Spike and just wanting the Autobots to leave without, in my opinion, having truly thought things through.
Iacon_Pax
Transforumer

Postby General Tekno » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:03 pm

Iacon_Pax wrote:Oh, one more thing:
Being a big fan of Blackrock from the old series, and how he bucked the trend and actually seemed to have a conscience, as well as not jumping to conclusions and being willing to weigh all the facts and see that the Autobots were good, and fight for what was right.
Unfortunately, this just doesn't seem like the Blackrock sitting next to Spike and just wanting the Autobots to leave without, in my opinion, having truly thought things through.

20 years of Megatron killing everyone, destroying everything, and likely slaughtering the Neo-Knights would probably make one re-evaluate their opinions.
Big Time Toons - updated Tuesdays!

And what I say is OK to Print!
General Tekno
Transforumer

Postby Bass X0 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:05 pm

Soundwave teleported but wanted it to look like Hot Rod had destroyed Thunderwing. If Soundwave teleported and Hot Rod didn't destroy it, the Autobots would have known Thunderwing was stolen.
Okay to print.
Bass X0
I'm kind of a big deal

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers