Hello from the My Little Pony editor! (Ask Question thread)

Moderators: bassbot, Sprite, Bobby Curnow

Postby TM2-Megatron » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:56 pm

Kerzyte wrote:PS. When you mentioned sketching on the comic, I shuddered a bit. :P

Potentially cool, though. I don't collect many comics, but I did collect the Darkwing Duck comic from Boom/Kaboom. That one also had 2 or 3 "blank", aka Get-A-Sketch, variants during its run. They were typically available for purchase at conventions, or preceeding convetions, where you'd have a chance to meet an artist that worked on the comic and request they sketch something unique for you on it.

I guess this one's just an incentive that retailers will get if they order a certain number of regular copies, however there's always the chance you could bring it with you to one of the conventions that Andy Price or Katie Cook will be attending. Or possibly commission one of them at a time when they're accepting commissions, and send the comic via mail and then pay for shipping back to you.
TM2-Megatron
Comic Book Guy

Postby Rhuen » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:24 pm

Bobby Curnow wrote:I'd probably be an earth pony. It's the end of the week, and my creative powers are at their ebb... a comic book cutie mark?

So do you have permission to use yourself and other IDW staff members as "background ponies"

like the animators sometimes do on the show?
(you know one in a large crowd kind of deal or just "chillin" in the background)
Rhuen
Forum Zombie

Postby Bobby Curnow » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:50 pm

If Andy wanted to draw them sure. He's drawn himself, his wife, and Katie Cook into issue one. Page 3, specifically, which is the Dynamic Forces cover that's around.
"I've lost all the hamburgers."
Bobby Curnow
IDW Editor

Postby SteelEagle » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:09 pm

What differences do you think there will be from an editing standpoint between arc issues and standalone issues?
SteelEagle
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby cbrubaker » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:29 pm

I'm curious. How long has this comic book been in the works? When did IDW approach Hasbro to produce the series? And how did Katie Cook and Andy Price get involved?
cbrubaker
Comic Book Guy

Postby Bobby Curnow » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:42 am

Hi Steele,

That's a good and difficult question to answer. With a story arc you have greater freedom due to the extra page count to explore group dynamics. MLP has a fairly big cast, so being able to tell a story over multiple issues is a big plus. A standalone issue you want to have a narrower, but perhaps deeper focus.

In terms of actual story editing, there's not much a difference. My job is always to just help the artists tell their story to the best of their ability. The size of the story doesn't make much difference... I'm still looking to make sure nothing drags and things stay crisp and fun. That's the same if it's a 2 page story, or a six issue story.
Bobby Curnow
IDW Editor

Postby Bobby Curnow » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:49 am

Hi cbrubaker,

I wasn't a part of the original business interactions, so I couldn't tell you who approached who. IDW does Transformers and GI Joe, so I think it was only natural that we continue the partnership with Hasbro for MLP. It first popped up on my radar towards the end of 2011.

Being familiar with Katie's work (and having tried to work with her in the past on a project that ended up falling through), and knowing she was a fan of the show, I knew she would be perfect to work on the book. She was my first pick as writer. I wish I could take credit for "finding" Andy, but he came to my attention through Katie actually! He did some samples and that was that!

I guess since I brought on Katie, I can KINDA take credit for Andy... right? (RIGHT!!)
Bobby Curnow
IDW Editor

Postby Nurio » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:17 pm

Bobby Curnow wrote:I guess since I brought on Katie, I can KINDA take credit for Andy... right? (RIGHT!!)

Sure...!

Nah, but in all seriousness, it's so very awesome that you're sharing this behind-the-scenes information with us. It's all very interesting! Thank you!
Nurio
Slayer

Postby drewlynoted » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:40 am

Hey Bobby.

Can you confirm that the last mystery secret variant is the Ghost Variant? I'm not sure if you can talk about it yet (do to whatever reasons), but it'd be good to know now that it is confirmed by a retailer.
drewlynoted
Slayer

Postby Bobby Curnow » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:55 pm

No comment!
Bobby Curnow
IDW Editor

Postby ericdanforth » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:25 pm

drewlynoted wrote:Hey Bobby.

Can you confirm that the last mystery secret variant is the Ghost Variant? I'm not sure if you can talk about it yet (do to whatever reasons), but it'd be good to know now that it is confirmed by a retailer.

as a non comic reader I don't understand
ericdanforth
Comic Book Guy

Postby Rhuen » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:55 pm

Not so much a question but a marketing suggestion to pass along to Hasbro. (and no not the obvious make the season 1 DVD available to general retailers like all the other Hub shows)

but rather an idea on merchandising that came to me in Autozone today noticing all the Betty Boop and Tinkerbelle stuff. My Little Pony FiM car accessories like bumper stickers, decals, seat and steering wheel covers, and small stuff like air freshners.

(With how much home made stuff like this you see you'd think Hasbro would want to have a piece of this pie as well).
Rhuen
Forum Zombie

Postby drewlynoted » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Bobby Curnow wrote:No comment!

"Curses! Foiled again."

Well in any case, please do let us know when you can. I'm sure all the collectors (myself included) would appreciate it!
drewlynoted
Slayer

Postby Marimo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:06 pm

Bobby Curnow wrote:As a thank you for visiting the forum, here's the very first peak at another cover. Andy Price's cover "C" featuring Pinkie Pie. It connects to cover B, Applejack, on the left.

I'll try and share a new cover every week.

I was wondering if you got the okay to reveal anymore of the covers recently. I know at least one person who's eager to see the Rainbow Dash cover by Andy Price.
Marimo
Slayer

Postby Bobby Curnow » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:35 am

Indeed, here's cover D, featuring Rainbow.

Bobby Curnow
IDW Editor

PreviousNext

Return to Friendship is Magic