Time Travel In Tfs. Do we need it......

Transformers is here! Discuss anything TF-related.

Moderators: ladywreck, tronprogram, bassbot, Ryall, JohnBarber, Cattleprod, CarlosG86

Time Travel?

Yes
40%
No
30%
Not sure
30%

Total votes : 20

Time Travel In Tfs. Do we need it......

Postby ultramagnus1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:03 am

Personally I think it causes more problems then not. Id be interested in what others think.
"They all float. And when you're down here with us, you'll float too" - Pennywise the clown
ultramagnus1
Transforumer

Re: Time Travel In Tfs. Do we need it......

Postby sunny-swipe » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:07 am

ultramagnus1 wrote:Personally I think it causes more problems then not. Id be interested in what others think.

we're gonna need some basic time travel if the message from mtmte issue 1 is ever gonna be explained.
though the message did say it was an experiment, so odds are the transformers never get a fully working time machine.
sunny-swipe
Transforumer

Postby CyclonusArmada » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:11 am

I really don't want say Galvatron with a Tardis altmode. Messages from the future are fine, nothing more than that.
CyclonusArmada
Transforumer

Postby ultramagnus1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:11 am

sunny-swipe wrote:
ultramagnus1 wrote:Personally I think it causes more problems then not. Id be interested in what others think.

we're gonna need some basic time travel if the message from mtmte issue 1 is ever gonna be explained.
though the message did say it was an experiment, so odds are the transformers never get a fully working time machine.

Fair enough. I just keep thinking about Marvel UK and the headaches it caused. As a kid I was always trying to work out the implications of Galvatron time jumping and what it meant etc etc. Would every thing go around in a loop or was it all altered? My head was wrecked thinking about it :lol:
"They all float. And when you're down here with us, you'll float too" - Pennywise the clown
ultramagnus1
Transforumer

Postby sunny-swipe » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:24 am

ultramagnus1 wrote:
sunny-swipe wrote:

Fair enough. I just keep thinking about Marvel UK and the headaches it caused. As a kid I was always trying to work out the implications of Galvatron time jumping and what it meant etc etc. Would every thing go around in a loop or was it all altered? My head was wrecked thinking about it :lol:

yeah, id draw the line if we find out that tailgate is actually from the lost light in the future and was damaged traveling back to nova primes era to stop him reaching the dead universe and discovering kup, who is now d-void and caused the whole infestation thing, which caused him to travel back in time, which......ect ect

down that road lies madness!

though we have had time travel, with kup! :D
sunny-swipe
Transforumer

Postby RiceDaddy07 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:25 am

This topic is irrelevant. It's already here. My biggest fear is that it opens the possibilities to muliverse explanations, which I do not want in these books. It's hard enough keeping track of things as is.
RiceDaddy07
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby ultramagnus1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:30 am

RiceDaddy07 wrote:This topic is irrelevant. It's already here. My biggest fear is that it opens the possibilities to muliverse explanations, which I do not want in these books. It's hard enough keeping track of things as is.

I dont want a situation were say for example Springer knowing what happens on Garrus-9 travels back with half the autobot army to take down Overlord. Which would mean Fort Max wouldnt have ended up in a coma, none of the wreckers would have died. Fort Max wouldnt have freaked out on the Lost Light, Rung would still be alive. Fort Max would never have been on Delphi to sort out those cons either.

Messy.

EDIT. And what about going back to the start of the war and killing Megatron before his revolution started. There would have been no war, no Optimus Prime, he wouldve remained as Orion. See? So many permutations. But also so confusing.
ultramagnus1
Transforumer

Postby ignus » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:35 am

sunny-swipe wrote:

I'm okay with sending things back in time (as in RID). It's when the thing sent back in time change the future leading to the thing never being sent back in time, it all falls apart and becomes and stupid.

In short, I hope the timetravel will be more like Twelve Monkeys and less like Back to the future.
ignus
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby CyclonusArmada » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:35 am

Actually going back in time and killing Ratbat would have prevented the war technically. Yet as the old saying goes...
CyclonusArmada
Transforumer

Postby ultramagnus1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:36 am

ignus wrote:
sunny-swipe wrote:

I'm okay with sending things back in time (as in RID). It's when the thing sent back in time change the future leading to the thing never being sent back in time, it all falls apart and becomes and stupid.

In short, I hope the timetravel will be more like Twelve Monkeys and less like Back to the future.

this.
ultramagnus1
Transforumer

Postby HdE » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:19 am

I'm personally not a fan of time travel as a sci-fi conceit.

I think there are some stellar examples that prove how it can be made to work brilliantly - movies like Source Code and Deja Vu come to mind - but the whole notion of it is a bit of a hard sell for me. It's not an idea that mkes me think 'Wow! Cool!'

I think Transformers has used some interesting ideas in connection with time travel, though. I remember reading the old Marvel books, and when Prowl, Prime and whoever else it was were transported to that weird limbo place with the parasites... that was cool, and quite original.
I letter comics. Quite a bit.

HdE
Transforumer

Postby Kingoji » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:23 am

The way James handled time travel in Eugenesis was thus; everything is predetermined and nothing can be changed. There are no alternate timelines or erased futures. If someone enters your time stream from the future, then he was always meant to enter it and everything from then progresses as it should.
For example, if someone travels back in time to alter the course of history in his own favour, then he is already destined to fail because he already did it and there is no historical record of it.

The best example of this in Eugenesis was the introduction of the Quintecons. Decepticon body-types discovered in the ruins of an old Decepticon fortress who, upon being awakened, suffer amnesia yet follow a mysterious homing instinct which leads them to the Quintessons. The Quintessons ask no questions, and take the trio down. They later upload the minds of Quintesson generals into the three Decepticons, and after a series of events, find themselves trapped in Earth's past where they are locked up in the basement of the Decepticon stronghold, where they will later be discovered and awaken with amnesia...

But it depends on how the concept is used, The entire Marvel UK Galvatron saga was and still is some of the finest TransFormers fiction created. And my personal favourite TV series, Beast Wars, was hinged entirely upon it. So I can't say it has no place.
But it *is* a bit tired now, and as Hde says, someone would have to do something pretty spectacular with it for me to get enthusiastic.

Print me easy!
Kingoji
Transforumer

Postby HdE » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:33 am

Kingoji wrote:The way James handled time travel in Eugenesis was thus; everything is predetermined and nothing can be changed. There are no alternate timelines or erased futures. If someone enters your time stream from the future, then he was always meant to enter it and everything from then progresses as it should.

[Head explodes]
I letter comics. Quite a bit.

HdE
Transforumer

Postby CyclonusArmada » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:36 am

X-Men handle it in a similar way. Although I personally thought the Dragonball Z approach was best: In trying to save his own timeline Trunks goes into the past which generates an alternate timeline in which he went back into the past to save his timeline etc etc
CyclonusArmada
Transforumer

Postby Cyberstrike » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:51 am

RiceDaddy07 wrote:This topic is irrelevant. It's already here. My biggest fear is that it opens the possibilities to muliverse explanations, which I do not want in these books. It's hard enough keeping track of things as is.

This. The Transformers is already a complicated multiverse with more than enough alternate timelines it really doesn't need anymore.

Fit to print, but remember this: I would rather hated for being honest than being loved as a liar.
Cyberstrike
Transforumer

Next

Return to Transformers