TMNT Classics... Why color?

Moderators: Sprite, Bobby Curnow, Venom

TMNT Classics... Why color?

Postby Abnormal Freak » Wed May 09, 2012 12:52 am

Last I heard, the upcoming TMNT Classics line, collecting (so far) the "non-canon" Vol. 1 issues not collected in the Ultimate Collection books, will only be in color. Is there a reason for this, especially since IDW are also doing single issue color releases of Vol. 1?

I've wanted all of Vol. 1 and onward to be collected in TPB form for a long time. But the only way we can get certain issues collected is to have them reworked? I gotta ask: Why? Makes more sense that these books should be black and white like the original issues (barring #33, and the color reprints of #s 18 and 32 if you really feel like having them in color).

I just can't make sense of this decision. Is it a strictly business decision? A way to entice collectors familiar with the so-called "guest issues," those who may not get the collections but very well might if they're in color (exclusive content)?

Maybe someone at IDW can help me out here...
"I can't forgive myself for having lied to you. I don't have a degree in biology. Never even finished high school. I haven't read more than two books in my whole life. One, never finished. And the other is the phone book."
Abnormal Freak
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby CommandoJamie7 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:48 am

I agree entirely! I made a comment about this on what I think was page 68 of the 'Hello from a Turtles Editor' forum. I can't be particularly bothered to quote it at the moment. Soz. :|
OK to print. Just don't say 'Turtle Power'!
CommandoJamie7
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Abnormal Freak » Wed May 09, 2012 2:05 pm

Tried looking to see if anyone mentioned it there. Didn't go too far back, but I did notice mention of Vol. 2 being recolored.

Personally, I'd just like if IDW were to reproduce the original comics without alterations. That means printing B&W where applicable (which is most Mirage/Image TMNT comics), and also original color. For something like Vol. 2, I'd just like it to be collected, so as not to bust out the single issues when I wanna read it—but recoloring the issues for collections may make me want to break out the old comics anyway.

On the other hand, it's nice getting new content, and I can understand the thought that non-fans may be put off by the fact the comics are B&W, so having them in color increases the likelihood of a sale, I'd imagine.
"I can't forgive myself for having lied to you. I don't have a degree in biology. Never even finished high school. I haven't read more than two books in my whole life. One, never finished. And the other is the phone book."
Abnormal Freak
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Cybercubed » Thu May 10, 2012 9:03 pm

I wonder this too. That means we may never get BW versions of all the other Vol. 1 issues.
Cybercubed
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Abnormal Freak » Thu May 10, 2012 10:14 pm

Seems that way judging by this post and the following response by Bobby.

:(

I hope that at least IDW has the sense to continue going B&W for the Ultimate Collections to the end of "City at War", but I shudder at the thought of the Image series being colored for its collections. That series more so than any other was drawn in such a way that it really can only be viewed in B&W. Strong, simple inkwork that really impresses the brain. :o
Abnormal Freak
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby CommandoJamie7 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:08 am

Abnormal Freak wrote:Seems that way judging by this post and the following response by Bobby.

:(

I hope that at least IDW has the sense to continue going B&W for the Ultimate Collections to the end of "City at War", but I shudder at the thought of the Image series being colored for its collections. That series more so than any other was drawn in such a way that it really can only be viewed in B&W. Strong, simple inkwork that really impresses the brain. :o

Sorry, it seems to have been much further back. He basically said that IDW wanted to remain consisten with their colouring, so even #33 will be recoloured. As well as Vol.2! :x
OK to print. Just don't say 'Turtle Power'!
CommandoJamie7
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby coolray85 » Sun May 13, 2012 7:25 am

i AGREE WITH YOU ABNORMAL FREAK!!...these comics don't need to be reworked.they are part of comic book history.in their power as well as what sales say.the turtles books are one of the few books that CAUSED the comics black and white boom of the 1980s, LEAD the way through it and SURVIVED it...these books are one of the parameters of what'S there to LOVE about black and white comic books.
you cannot go back and re-work mona lisa before exhibiting her in the louvre in hope to get more young people interested in leonardo da vincis art...
I really hope the idw responsible people read this and take this to the heart, or those who know them LINK our thoughts to the right adress....
one thing:
I doubt that sales figures should not even be an issue here, because everything turtles by idw is selling like GOLD for about a year right now and we got some great goodies to come to us in the future(I am looking in your direction kevn eastman!!;)..), people buy our turtles because this is great quality work.you don't need to jingle with the formular here, because you fear many people wouldn't appreceate the original.the original is THE REASON why people are here buying your books, compadres!!;)even those who did not know eastman and laird's original books, they post their terrific reviews overall the internet.so paleeeeease, give us the REAL DEAL, amigos!!!!
coolray85
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby KM3K » Mon May 14, 2012 5:26 am

I agree with Abnormal Freak too. The more I think about it, the less likely I am to get the TMNT Classics books. I love the ultimate collections and planned to get the TMNT Classics to have a more convenient way to read the other Mirage stories, but I'd really prefer them the way they were originally published.

I'm ok with IDW selling these comics recolored, but I don't like the thought that the original black and white won't be published like it deserves. Is there any possibility of releasing these issues in black and white in addition to the color?
KM3K
Comic Book Guy

Postby KM3K » Wed May 16, 2012 6:22 am

In the "Hello from a Turtles Editor" thread, Bobby Curnow said to write to 'letters@idwpublishing.com' with the subject header TMNT Classic recoloring, or something along those lines, and the right parties will see it.

I just sent them a message this morning. Please write to them if you want to see these comics republished as they originally were.
KM3K
Comic Book Guy

Postby RG1701 » Tue May 29, 2012 12:47 pm

I checked out the first issue of the colored classic, and I have to say, I'm unimpressed. Eastman's original coloring for the issue that he did for First Publishing is still the best version. The black "sleeves" of the Shredder and the Foot soldiers looks forced, as it really looks like bare arms extending from beneath their tunics and not an extension of the tunics themselves. I thnk the black coloring makes more sense, but it's forced to when you make their entire bodies black. They could have recolored the tunics and kept the arms bare. Also, the Shredder being all black doesn't work for me. Yeah, I know he's a ninja and it makes sense, but it just doesn't look good in my opinion.
RG1701
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Abnormal Freak » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:13 am

Well, I threw 'em an email. We'll see what happens. Doesn't hurt to let 'em know directly that some have issue with the original comics not being reprinted as they were.

I won't be buying the newly colored issues.
Abnormal Freak
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Dank » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:21 am

RG1701 wrote:Also, the Shredder being all black doesn't work for me. Yeah, I know he's a ninja and it makes sense, but it just doesn't look good in my opinion.
The Shredder's all black? I keep hearing he was all blue in that issue.
Dank
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Spengs85 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:43 am

Dank wrote:
RG1701 wrote:Also, the Shredder being all black doesn't work for me. Yeah, I know he's a ninja and it makes sense, but it just doesn't look good in my opinion.
The Shredder's all black? I keep hearing he was all blue in that issue.

Yeah, he's definitely all blue in the new color version.
Spengs85
Forum Zombie

Postby Abnormal Freak » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:28 pm

Making him blue is lame enough, but coloring his exposed skin is outrageously ugly.
Abnormal Freak
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby KM3K » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:47 am

The new digital comics from IDW include both the TMNT Color Classics and a new series, TMNT Black & White Classics. This series can be found at http://www.comixology.com/Teenage-Mutan ... eries/8328

Based on this, I asked IDW on Twitter about if they will be printing these black & white classics and they said they will! The conversation can be found at https://twitter.com/IDWPublishing/statu ... 9474311168 After that conversation, I realized that tweet could have been referring to the Ultimate Collections, so I asked for more info, but haven't gotten a response yet. That conversation is at https://twitter.com/km3k/status/210350446110449664

Hopefully we'll get some Black & White Classics TPBs in addition to the Color Classics. Let's show our support on Twitter for these black & white collections.
KM3K
Comic Book Guy

Next

Return to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles