Transformers RiD #4 - Previews, reviews, etc (spoilers)

Transformers is here! Discuss anything TF-related.

Moderators: ladywreck, tronprogram, bassbot, Ryall, JohnBarber, Cattleprod, CarlosG86

Postby Soundwave » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:43 am

Sheesh. Woooooooow. I'm not really sure what to say!

It was good stuff, but man this all screams setup?

Shockwave and Soundwave are up to this for sure. Again nowhere to be found.

I'm gonna call this one, those two are continuining Megatrons plans to weed out the loose ends. The traitors are all dead, or otherwise removed from the picture. And they made the Autobots do the dirty work for them.

Starscream has removed himself from the picture and probably doesn't even realize it, just like when he was on the asteroid.

Prowl is such an awesome bastard!

Bumblebee needs to figure out what to do, he's loosing control quick.
Everything I post is ok to print, use, copy, use for inspiration, promote world peace, change lives, etc...and so on and so on. ;)

Rumble Eject! Operation, collateral damage.
Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby bloosmarti » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:28 am

I so rarely post on here, but every now and then there's an issue that forces me to, and this is one of those. The title is so apt, because I feel that peoples opinions on this issue are gonna be divided. Me, I LOVED it. Tied up all the characterisation screw-ups with prowl, dealt with a sticking point from the old ongoing in brilliantly destructive fashion (personally I hope the constructicons ARE dead, has more impact and meaning that way), and moved the overall story along very nicely. Prowl is a double-hard cold-hearted bastard, and I love him for it! Excellent stuff!
When I think of something witty to say, I'll put it here, okay?!
bloosmarti
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby vguzz2 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:51 am

wow those poor constructicons :( . I'm actually starting to sympathize with some of the Decepticons a little. Prowl is a total a-hole. Doesn't he realize this it was crap like that that started the great war to begin with? I hope Megatron or Galvatron come back soon and turn him into a pile of scrap!
vguzz2
Transforumer

Postby Thunderwing » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:29 am

Wow, that got a bit dark. I'm a little apprehensive. This seemed like too much, too fast.

That said, I can see Prowl's reasoning. He needs things orderly and logical, and this new Cybertron is anything but. So it'd make sense he's fed up with doing things the "right" way and instead going for the expedient way.

I do think Mr. Barber needs to pull back a little. Skydive and Sunstorm were one thing, but Bombshell and the remaining Constructicons potentially being wiped out is getting a little TOO kill-happy.

Well, Bombshell's probably a definite thing, but the Constructions' chips going off didn't look as fatal as Horri-Bull's did.

Fairly ironic that Prowl has finally swung around to Impactor's original sin.

Heh, in the panel where the Constructicons are revealed, you can see some of Rung's model ships amid the rubble. Maybe that's where some of them landed!

I want to believe Barber's got a plan here and I hope it's more than "make Prowl the bad guy". I guess we'll see.
Thunderwing
Transforumer

Postby justicegray » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:58 am

As much as I liked this issue, I liked the preview for the *next* issue even more. I would have *NEVER* seen that coming in a milllllllllion years!!! I can't wait!!
justicegray
Forum Zombie

Postby Sprite » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:12 am

Sky Byte! OMG! :mrgreen:
OK to print.
D&D/TMNT/MLP/X-Files modding, avatar tech support and shattered trousers repair.
Sprite
Transforumer

Postby HdE » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:22 am

I've been avoiding te reaction threads for fear of spoilers - but as some of the content of this issue was spoiled for me elsewhere:

Thunderwing wrote:I want to believe Barber's got a plan here and I hope it's more than "make Prowl the bad guy". I guess we'll see.

One of the things that excites me about this series as a fan is the way it seems evident that John DOES have a solid game plan for this story. The whole premise is really great, and I've been impressed with the chops Mr. Barber is airing in the previews.

HOWEVER:

Thunderwing wrote:I do think Mr. Barber needs to pull back a little. Skydive and Sunstorm were one thing, but Bombshell and the remaining Constructicons potentially being wiped out is getting a little TOO kill-happy.

I have to say I also find the body count quite alarming lately. Especially the news of Bombshell, seeing as we've got a really good baddie in that guy - and one of my favourite Decepticons, no less. It'd be a shame to see him meet his final demise.

As for the remaining Constructies... well, like I've said before on these boards, surely by now we're overdue for seeing some of those gestalt components developed and given something more to do? There's no reason why they can't be interesting characters in their own right. (You now - apart from the fact that they're now all dead, apparently.)

So, yeah, I have my reservations about that - although I'm reserving judgement until I read the arc in its entirety. Who knows - these deaths could all be an elaborate fake-out for all I know. I've certainly read that sort of thing before in comics!

Anyways, reservations from my ravening fanboy core aside, y'all can consider me pumped and eager to receive my copy of the trade. Because I need to read this. I need to read this HARD!
I letter comics. Quite a bit.
You want a web comic? Oh, go on, then! http://brokengoddessathena.wordpress.com/about/ (some mild language, kids!)
HdE
Transforumer

Postby Thunderwing » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:28 am

Well put, HdE.

I will say, to Barber's credit, that all the deaths made absolute and perfect sense in regards to the plot. It's simply a shame however, to potentially lose these characters for the time being, and all the stories they could have launched on their own.
Thunderwing
Transforumer

Postby Snake Pliskin-o-bot » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:22 pm

Regarding the 'deaths' in this issue, I tend not to worry too much as we've seen and/or read about much worse happening to bots in the IDWverse, who have survived. Characters have even referred to multiple 'deaths', the example I can think of off the top of my head is in issue 31, when the young bots are pestering Alpha Trion for a story and they refer to the first time Optimus Prime died, or something along those lines.

If a writer in the future wants to use any of these characters, I'm sure they'll find a way to bring them back.

As for the issue itself...holy s#@t!! :) I loved it! Action, named characters tussling, rather than fighting generics, character moments and just a horrible sense of things going from bad to worse. Bring on the next issue!
Snake Pliskin-o-bot
Transforumer

Postby HdE » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:35 pm

Thunderwing wrote:I will say, to Barber's credit, that all the deaths made absolute and perfect sense in regards to the plot.

I get a sense of this as well, which is why I'm inclined to 'just go with it' and see how things pan out when I read the story properly. Let's not forget that tag line 'Peace requires a body count'. With the story John is telling, a bit of carnage seems only fair! After all, the situation on Cybertron is a pretty high-stakes kind of deal, and some death and destruction certainly hammers that home.

This, I think...

Thunderwing wrote:It's simply a shame however, to potentially lose these characters for the time being, and all the stories they could have launched on their own.

... neatly sums up my apprehension about character deaths in general. EVERY character can be a gateway to a new story. It doesn't matter if they're the super-cool fan-favourite or Devastator's left arm. So it always makes me groan inwardly if I see a character snuffed out before their story was told.

BUT - that's me standing on my soapbox again. So I'll * out of the thread now and wait until I've READ this stuff before commenting further. Short of saying how great it is to have such an exciting book to look forward to!
I letter comics. Quite a bit.
You want a web comic? Oh, go on, then! http://brokengoddessathena.wordpress.com/about/ (some mild language, kids!)
HdE
Transforumer

Postby drae77 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:55 pm

Soundwave wrote:Shockwave and Soundwave are up to this for sure. Again nowhere to be found.

I'm gonna call this one, those two are continuining Megatrons plans to weed out the loose ends. The traitors are all dead, or otherwise removed from the picture. And they made the Autobots do the dirty work for them.

that would be a rather awesome turn of events. I for one, hope all those guys are really dead just so it's not cheapened UNLESS... it's all a plot and set up. If this is to expose the 'autobots' to the populace at large as everything they suspect they might be then I'm all for it. It's a more elaborate version of Ratbat's plan. The question would be then, who is actually pulling the strings. Ratbat, Bombshell, the Constructicons, all traitors in Megatron's sight at least.

But the 'new' Megatron is so powerful that unless he simply didn't have use for them he wouldn't be taking them out like this. He'd just walk up to each of them, including Devastator and vaporize them with his rail gun. I have no idea who sky byte is but will check it out on the wiki. Prowl is darker than he's ever been and it would suck (for him) if all this effort on his part to take control and he's actually the one having his strings pulled by someone else. This has been the 'second series' for me as far as the two Ongoings but I'm suddenly a lot more interested in what happens.
My opinions are just that. If my context is missed due to colloquialism or cultural mix up, I'm reachable by PM and glad to get understanding. Pursue peace with all men. :)
Until that day, til all are one. OK to Print
drae77
Transforumer

Postby Matrix » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:59 pm

HdE wrote: EVERY character can be a gateway to a new story. It doesn't matter if they're the super-cool fan-favourite or Devastator's left arm. So it always makes me groan inwardly if I see a character snuffed out before their story was told.

Whilst this is true, you have to understand that it's simply not feasible to characterise everyone. If we were to do this, IDW's run would be over long after we were all dead.

Besides, what does it matter? Character potential is still there, as the war is four million years long. These characters are alive in Autocracy or any other series that writers chose to set beforehand.
Okay to print!
I'm working on turning my caustic rants into a caustic podcast. Watch this space.
Matrix
Transforumer

Postby CyclonusMB2 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:29 pm

Okay having just read it, I have to say I really liked it. Really interested to see how much farther Prowl can go before he turns everyone against him. Prowl to me always seemed to be the sort that would push the line as far as he could rationalize without visibly crossing it. For all his moments of magnificence, calculating and manipulation he has clearly CROSSED the line. Which considering that he is Prowl, makes him one of the most dangerous bots on Cybertron.

So the two big questions I have now are: Who's gonna be the one to bring him down? & How much damage can he do before that happens?

Beware the bunny ears of DOOM!
CyclonusMB2
Comic Book Guy

Postby Bhaalspawn » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:30 pm

Those are indeed Rock Lords. Must say that's the first time I've seen them around in a TF comic. Gobots tend to show up and get killed, but haven't seen the Rocklords.
Bhaalspawn
Transforumer

Postby Matrix » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:48 pm

He hasn't really crossed a line for me. He killed six Decepticons, one of whom is a psychotic murderer that mind controls people, whilst the others were intending to kill him.

If this is a line for Prowl to cross, he's probably the nicest war criminal in history.

Edit: They've only had their heads blown off anyway. Not exactly a problem for Cybertronians, especially when LSotW takes great pains to point out you need to get their spark core too.
Okay to print!
I'm working on turning my caustic rants into a caustic podcast. Watch this space.
Matrix
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers