Thoughts On Marvel's The Avengers Film

Random topics, one-shots, lurid stories, and off-subject banter. Have fun!

Moderators: tronprogram, Ryall, JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Sprite, Bobby Curnow, Denton J. Tipton

Thoughts On Marvel's The Avengers Film

Postby Viceroy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:59 pm

Like a lot of comic fans, I am eagerly awaiting the release of Marvel's The Avengers movie in a few weeks time. I think it has the potential to beat The Hunger Games and Battleship at the Box Office.
Marvel played it very smart when they started the Avengers by seeding its genesis via ties to its established superheroes in their own films starting with Iron Man I with Nick Fury's debut. From there on the succeeding films (Incredible Hulk, Thor and Capt. America) continued to slowly establish the mythos while allowing fans to see Iron Man, Capt. America and the others at their best as individuals. The Avengers will test their capacity to be a team.
Its nice that the film is a good fusion of Marvel's Ultimate Universe with the base Marvel Universe as Loki will also be the catalyst for the team's formation.
I also liked the scene in the trailer that hinted that Captain America and Iron Man may not see eye to eye in some matters as they also do in the comics. That always was and will be one of Marvel's strengths- making its characters Human first.
God Willing, I'll get to see it. Also, I hope the line up expands as the sequels come in so we'll eventually see Wolverine, Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight and Spider Man and Luke Cage joining up.
The characters that I hope to get max screen time? Nick Fury (Can't help it; I've a soft spot for superspies!) , Iron Man. Capt. America , Thor and Maria Hill.
So: What are your thoughts on the Avengers film?
"Let us renew our faith and our hope. We have every right to dream heroic dreams!"
-President Ronald W. Reagan
"That's how an author should talk! How manly!"
-Michelle Cheung, R.O.D. The TV
Viceroy
Transforumer

Postby Soundwave » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:18 am

Umm... It's gonna Rock. The previews have been jems.

Joss Wheden (firefly/serenity) nuff said.

Should be the most fun this year, and will more than likely break 1billion worldwide.

I'm there!!!
Everything I post is ok to print, use, copy, use for inspiration, promote world peace, change lives, etc...and so on and so on. ;)

Rumble Eject! Operation, collateral damage.
Soundwave
Transforumer

Postby FDrowned » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:45 am

Yeah, less than a week until it comes out :D
FDrowned
Transforumer

Postby temple » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:37 pm

And am hoping for Ultron in Avengers 2... if only because it'd probably mean Hank and Jan got added to the team. :wink:

...or the Masters of Evil maybe.
temple
Transforumer

Postby KJ » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:35 am

Saw it. Loved it.

There is an after-credit scene. It's amazing, but it's really one for the hardcore comic fans.

I had to explain it to everyone I went to see it with.

They didn't really get why my reaction was so huge to this. :lol:
Proud Member Of The 'Resurrect Bumper' Club.

...A Club Of One.
KJ
Transforumer

Postby Viceroy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:14 pm

Ya-Hooo! That makes 2 of Us! I just saw The Avengers yesterday! The movie is a real crowd pleaser. Joss Whedon has definitely made up for Serenity, and Zak Penn made up for Superman Returns. Trust me- You'll Get Your Money's Worth when You Watch the Avengers! DC will have its work cut out for them if they ever want to do a very good Justice League of America movie-and even then, they've yet to establish tie to all their superheroes.
While Not a REVIEW per se ( I'll post that after it hits the US so it'll fair to all) I do love seeing how the Avengers came together as a team under Capt. America's leadership and Nick Fury's supervision. (Nick Fury is in my Top 10 Marvel superheroes list). I also loved the nod to Independence Day and (here's the only 2 spoilers I'll post for now) 1)We see the SHIELD Helicarrier! And its NOT CGI-if it is, its damned well thought of by ILM because I can believe its real! And wait ti;; you see what happens to Loki when he challenges the Hulk!
I wish Maria Hill had more to do, though. She's hot. And Nick Fury should've led the Helicarrier in direct support of the Avengers.
The sequel? Well... I hope it happens! The teaser's nasty and cool to be sure.
Last edited by Viceroy on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Let us renew our faith and our hope. We have every right to dream heroic dreams!"
Viceroy
Transforumer

Postby The Rev » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:48 pm

Not much thought other than GOING! :D
The Rev
Transforumer

Postby HdE » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:43 pm

Just saw it... slack jawed in awe.

Every character was so brilliantly represented. I had doubts about how well this movie would sit alongside the standalone movies (think about how different in tone and scope it is to either of the Iron man movies, for a start) - but it works! It works GLORIOUSLY!!!
I letter comics. Quite a bit.

HdE
Transforumer

Postby bassbot » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:59 am

Saw it twice earlier this week and so amazed!!! Yeah after-credits scene is one for the super geeks. Pretty huge possibilities, I think it's great that it will come after Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and Captain America (plus whatever other films like Ant-Man may come) so that Marvel can keep expanding the possibilities of the universe.

The film itself was amazing. Gets the most crowd reaction that i've witnessed in a while. Loved all of it and really appreciated the slow build, as it used SHIELD really well and made it a proper part of the universe. Seeded all the secret in's and outs with the council too.

Great dialogue, cool intro's and I liked how Thor came into it, great interaction with Loki.
Twitter: @lukeabarnett
Lukeabarnett writes on tumblr
bassbot
Transforumer

Postby temple » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:48 am

Never heard an audience clap and cheer so much during a movie.

Sorry, Dark Knight Rises, but you're pretty screwed for Best Superhero Movie of 2012 now...

P.S. The Hulk rocks like a BOSS. :shock:
temple
Transforumer

Postby CommandoJamie7 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:41 am

I saw it yesterday . . . it was so awesome. I am going to break the barrier of silence about the post-credits scene, but only the hardcore fans will know what I'm talking about anyway. One word sums it up . . . Thanos.
OK to print. Just don't say 'Turtle Power'!
CommandoJamie7
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Viceroy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:37 pm

temple wrote:Never heard an audience clap and cheer so much during a movie.

Sorry, Dark Knight Rises, but you're pretty screwed for Best Superhero Movie of 2012 now...

P.S. The Hulk rocks like a BOSS. :shock:

Well, the last time I heard an audience clap and cheer at a Superhero movie was way back when I first saw Superman II starring Christopher Reeve. The scene where Superman carries Old Glory while flying to the White House got the audience yelling, cheering and hooting. Kids and adults. It just seems so RIGHT for Superman to carry the US Flag.

DC will have its hands full. First they're gonna have to push it to get a decent Justice League of America film out.
As for Dark Knight Rises...well. Bruce has Peter Parker to deal with. Spider Man 4 will premier in the US on July 4.
At least Bruce Wayne won't be facing Tony Stark at the box office. :)
Can't wait what US fans think of the Avengers.
Viceroy
Transforumer

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:02 pm

As it tonight... Phenomenal! Joss' writing and directing are brilliant as usual. Hulk...Smash. Hulk made 2 of the best scenes in the movie. The whole audience laughed so hard I missed what he said/did when walking away. Heck I was laughing so hard I couldn't stop for almost a minute.

Genius!
Author: Karate is Self-Defense Available at Amazon.com. Kindle version available.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby Viceroy » Tue May 01, 2012 5:39 pm

bassbot wrote:
The film itself was amazing. Gets the most crowd reaction that i've witnessed in a while. Loved all of it and really appreciated the slow build, as it used SHIELD really well and made it a proper part of the universe. Seeded all the secret in's and outs with the council too.

Yeah, SHIELD was finally given a major role and its depiction in The Avengers had lotsa nods to both the Classic and Ultimate versions of SHIELD. I hope that a SHIELD movie will be part of Marvel's movie plans. It should be cool to see Nick Fury, Maria Hill, Tim Duggan, The Gaffer, Agent 13 and the rest in their own film franchise.

Oh, yeah, when an Avengers sequel arrives I hope that Rescue becomes part of the team. :)
Viceroy
Transforumer

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Tue May 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Viceroy wrote:
bassbot wrote:

Yeah, SHIELD was finally given a major role and its depiction in The Avengers had lotsa nods to both the Classic and Ultimate versions of SHIELD. I hope that a SHIELD movie will be part of Marvel's movie plans. It should be cool to see Nick Fury, Maria Hill, Tim Duggan, The Gaffer, Agent 13 and the rest in their own film franchise.

Oh, yeah, when an Avengers sequel arrives I hope that Rescue becomes part of the team. :)

Yeah the SHIELD movie has been I the works for a while. Sam Jackson hasn't fulfilled his 9 picture deal with marvel yet.
Author: Karate is Self-Defense Available at Amazon.com. Kindle version available.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Next

Return to Chit-Chat