What about all of the '80s short stories, covers, etc.?

Moderators: Sprite, Bobby Curnow, Venom

What about all of the '80s short stories, covers, etc.?

Postby psykomyko » Mon May 23, 2011 2:40 pm

I'm absolutely thrilled that IDW will bring the original TMNT comics back into print. The TMNT collections have always been spotty and hard to come by, and IDW has a great opportunity to present TMNT as the game-changing phenomenon that it represents. :D

John Pannozzi made a complete (I think) list of all of the TMNT material at http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=9644

Eastman and Laird (and co.) did a lot of those stories in the mid-'80s while working on the regular series. Some of those stories tie in directly to TMNT or Tales of the TMNT issues, and most of them have never been collected or reprinted before (including the Fugitoid one-shot).

If these short stories are included with the regular issues that came out around the same time, the IDW hardcovers would have much more added value to collectors, and would be a more effective "archive" of the classic material.

I'd love to also see all of the TMNT covers and illustrations (all of the single issues' various printings, the First collections, the Mirage collections, the Mirage ad artwork for each then-upcoming issue, etc.).

I'd recommend gathering all of the available printed material before developing a publishing program around this series. I hope IDW has copies of everything; some of it is admittedly scarce these days, which makes acquiring and reprinting it so valuable to this line of books.

If IDW was doing cheap softcovers (like the early Mirage collections, which didn't even include the original cover art), I wouldn't care about this as much, but I expect a lot from deluxe hardcovers. Marvel has become the gold standard lately in providing "extras" in their hardcover lines to add value and completion - I hope IDW will try to compete and match that level of quality in their TMNT books. I have a lot of respect for IDW and its output, which is of a generally high quality, but TMNT is one of those historic titles that's never been given the presentation the material deserves and demands.

On a related note, I wonder if the first collection only goes to TMNT #7 because the Cerebus rights are still being negotiated?

Thanks very much for reading!

P.S. I (and, I'm sure, several other TMNT fiends) have copies of this material that might be scanned or loaned for reference. If I can help in any way (beyond my whining), please let me know! :D
Last edited by psykomyko on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
psykomyko
Comic Book Guy

Postby PizzaPower » Mon May 23, 2011 2:42 pm

shoot i say reprint every issue of tmnt thats ever been done :)
PizzaPower
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby psykomyko » Mon May 23, 2011 2:51 pm

PizzaPower wrote:shoot i say reprint every issue of tmnt thats ever been done :)

Me, too! :D

I just would prefer them to be reprinted in a way that makes the most sense, treats the material properly, and gives us readers the most value for our money.
Last edited by psykomyko on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psykomyko
Comic Book Guy

Postby Spengs85 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:45 pm

If they don't reprint the bonus/back-up shorts in their main hardcover volumes, I'd love to see them all collected together in a new edition of "Shell Shock" (the 1989 graphic novel that collected a ton of the back-ups, but not close to all of em).

Of course, it would probably take an Omnibus or two to collect that many shorts, but two huge anthology trades boasting those stories would be a tremendous value and very good reading.

Most of those back-ups have never been reprinted and some of them were included in books with crazy-small print runs, making them hard to come by. Having them collected for posterity's sake, to say nothing of their entertainment and artistic value, would be a treat.

PLUS, a lot of high profile comic book creators that are huge names today did several short TMNT strips back in the 80s, providing IDW ample opportunity to plaster their names all over the front and back covers of the books as well as the solicits.
Last edited by Spengs85 on Mon May 23, 2011 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spengs85
Forum Zombie

Postby Venom » Mon May 23, 2011 4:47 pm

Spengs, both you and Andrew have spelled it wrong: it's Shell Shock, no -ed on the end. :P

Anyway, I still think IDW should use your timeline to chronicle the books!
Last edited by Venom on Mon May 23, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yep, okay to print me!
Venom
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby PizzaPower » Mon May 23, 2011 5:00 pm

Venom wrote:Spengs, both you and

Anyway, I still think IDW should use your timeline to chronicle the books!

yea i deff agree, its really good.
PizzaPower
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Spengs85 » Mon May 23, 2011 5:02 pm

Me and what?

ME AND WHAT!?!
Spengs85
Forum Zombie

Postby PizzaPower » Mon May 23, 2011 5:03 pm

your timeline of course.
PizzaPower
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Venom » Mon May 23, 2011 9:13 pm

Spengs85 wrote:

Me and what?

ME AND WHAT!?!

LMAO!!! I didn't realize my post was truncated.

I was razzing you and Andrew for both calling the book "Shell Shocked" when it's Shell Shock, without the -ed on the end. Lol! :P :P
Yep, okay to print me!
Venom
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Azrael » Mon May 23, 2011 10:21 pm

Spengs timeline is good but possibly a little confusing to print and for new readers to follow and know what they are getting. I would love to see Tales Omnibus 1-3 Vol 1 having tales 1-7 plus all the specials including shell shock and challenges
vol2 having tales vol 2 1-35 then vol 3 having 36-70. Thats just me tho
Azrael
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Abnormal Freak » Tue May 24, 2011 2:08 am

I think a separate collection or two compiling the short stories would be great. Expand upon Shell Shock, throw in the other stuff that didn't make it originally. I suppose one could throw certain stories in with the main ones for continuity...but if you wanted to do it that way, you'd have to put Tales Vol. 1 in there as well. I guess I'd prefer to see it all printed separately.
"I can't forgive myself for having lied to you. I don't have a degree in biology. Never even finished high school. I haven't read more than two books in my whole life. One, never finished. And the other is the phone book."
Abnormal Freak
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby psykomyko » Tue May 24, 2011 1:30 pm

My personal preference would be for the '80s Eastman/Laird stuff to be collected in the order it was created.

I could see the retcon/TALES stories being collected separately. But, ideally, the mid-'80s stuff really belongs together - to me, anyway.
Last edited by psykomyko on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
psykomyko
Comic Book Guy

Postby discordiatookie » Tue May 24, 2011 2:26 pm

I'd love to see the TMNT daily newspaper strips reprinted. Also, the UK only Hero Turtle comics - there's some classic stuff in there, with some great art and storytelling!
Last edited by discordiatookie on Thu May 26, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I got my cloak and dagger in a bar room brawl
discordiatookie
Red Shirt

Postby PizzaPower » Tue May 24, 2011 2:31 pm

dude i want the comic strips reprinted into one book, that would be pretty awesome.
PizzaPower
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby John Pannozzi » Tue May 24, 2011 4:43 pm

PizzaPower wrote:dude i want the comic strips reprinted into one book, that would be pretty awesome.

Yeah, considering that the strip was fan-favorite Dan Berger's first ever TMNT work, having it all collected would be awesome. There was also a TMHT (Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles) comic strip published in the UK, and maybe IDW could collect that when and if they ever get around to collecting the foreign TMNT stuff.

And here's my complete list of all TMNT short stories:

“Bottoming Out” (Originally published in Shell Shock)
“JunkMan” (Originally published in Shell Shock)
“Meanwhile… 1,000,000 BC” (Originally published in Shell Shock)
"Teen Techno Trio Plus One" (Originally published in Shell Shock) (guest story)
“Not One Word!” (Originally published in: TMNT (Vol. 1) #1 (5th printing))
“TMNT” by Fred Hembeck (originally published in TMNT (Vol. 1) #2 (3rd printing) (guest story)
“Complete Carnage an’ Radical” (Originally published in: TMNT (Vol. 1) #3 (2nd printing))
“Fun With Guns” (Originally published in: Raphael (microseries) #1 (2nd printing))
“The Survival Game” (Originally published in: TMNT (Vol. 1) #4 (2nd printing))
“Ghouls Night Out” (Originally published in: TMNT (Vol. 1) #5 (2nd printing))
“It's a Gas” (Originally published in: TMNT (Vol. 1) #6 (2nd printing))
“A Christmas Carol” (Originally published in: Michaelangelo (microseries) #1 (second printing))
“You Had To Be There” (Originally published in: TMNT (Vol. 1) #7) (COLOR)
“New Comic Day!” (Originally published in: TMNT Book I (First Comics color collection)) (COLOR)
“Night Life” (Originally published in: TMNT Book I (First Comics color collection)) (COLOR)
“(49th Street) Stompers” (Originally published in: TMNT Book III (First Comics color collection)) (COLOR)
“The Road Trip” (Originally published in Anything Goes! #5) (COLOR)
“D’Ants Fever” (Originally published in Grimjack #26) (COLOR)
“Choices” (originally published in The Puma Blues #20)
Untitled Nobody story (Originally published the 1989 Collected Tales of the TMNT TPB)
The TMNT story from Quest for Dreams Lost (re-titled “Word Warriors” in the Shell Shock TPB)
“Technofear!!!” (Originally published in: Gobbledygook (Vol. 2) #1)
“Crazy Man” (Originally published in: Gobbledygook (Vol. 2) #1)
“Turtle Dreams” by S.R. Bissette (Originally published in: Turtle Soup (Vol. 1) #1)
“Pesticide” (Originally published in: Turtle Soup (Vol. 1) #1) (guest story)
Unpublished four-page story by Frank Bella (guest story)
“The Howl” (Originally published in: Turtle Soup (Vol. 1) #1)
“Showdown” (Originally published in: Turtle Soup (Vol. 1) #1) (guest story)
“Apparition” (Originally published in: Turtle Soup (Vol. 1) #1) (guest story)
“You’re in the Army Now” (Originally published in: Turtle Soup (Vol. 1) #1) (guest story)
“TMNT” by John Dowling (Originally published in: Turtle Soup (Vol. 1) #1) (guest story)
“The Lesson” (A Triceraton story originally published in Grunts #1)
“Casey Jones, Private Eye” (originally published as part of the Mirage Mini Comics collection)
"TMNT Attack!!!" Part 1 (Originally published in Turtle Soup (Vol. 2) #1) (COLOR)
"TMNT Attack!" Part 2 (Originally published in Turtle Soup (Vol. 2) #2) (COLOR)
"TMNT Attack!" Part 3 (Originally published in Turtle Soup (Vol. 2) #3) (COLOR)
"TMNT Attack!" Part 4 (Originally published in Turtle Soup (Vol. 2) #3) (COLOR)
"The Ring" (Prelude to TMNT (Vol. 1) #37. Originally published in Turtle Soup (Vol. 2) #1) (COLOR)
"Lucindra" (Prelude to TMNT (Vol. 1) #44. Originally published in Turtle Soup (Vol. 2) #1) (COLOR) (guest story)
"Alternate Turtles on the Moon" (Originally published in Turtle Soup (Vol. 2) #2) (COLOR) (guest story)
"Snapper" (Originally published in Turtle Soup (Vol. 2) #2) (COLOR)
"Mid-afternoon of the Living Dead" (Originally published in Turtle Soup (Vol. 2) #2) (COLOR) (guest story)
"Bearing the Burden" (Originally published in Turtle Soup (Vol. 2) #3) (COLOR)
"Sweat, Sweat, Sweet Renet" (Originally published in Turtle Soup (Vol. 2) #3) (COLOR)
"Crack in a Hard Heart" (Originally published in Turtle Soup (Vol. 2) #3) (COLOR) (guest story)
"Failed Instant" (Originally published in Turtle Soup (Vol. 2) #4) (COLOR) (guest story)
“Thoughts on Paper” (Originally published in Turtle Soup (Vol. 2) #4) (COLOR) (guest story)
"Fifteen Years Later" (Originally published in Turtle Soup (Vol. 2) #4) (COLOR)
“Turtle Power!” (from the color Turtle Soup #1) (COLOR) (guest story)
“Lasagna Loves” (originally published as part of the Mirage Mini Comics collection) (guest story)
“Toyoduh in the Naked City” (from the color Turtle Soup #1) (COLOR)
“Velveeduh in The One That Got Away” (from Turtle Soup #2)" (COLOR)
“Viceroy in The One That Got Away” (from Turtle Soup #3)(COLOR)
“Pierrier in The Old Switcheroo!” (from Turtle Soup #4) (COLOR)
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle" by Michael Thibodeaux, Jack Kirby and Guy Romano (A TMNT/Last of the Viking Heroes crossover. Originally published in Turtle Soup (Vol. 2) #4) (COLOR) (guest story)
“Digital Webbing Presents: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” (Originally published in Digital Webbing Presents #24) (COLOR)
“Old Times” (Originally published in Plastron Café #1)
“Cyber Strike” (short story from CBS Presents Action Zone one-shot) (COLOR)
“Don’t Judge a Book…” (Originally published in: TMNT & Other Strangeness (an RPG book from Palladium Books))
“New York Ninja” (Originally published in: TMNT Adventures! (an RPG book from Palladium Books))
"Road Hogs" (Originally published in: After the Bomb Book Two: Road Hogs (supplement to TMNT & Other Strangeness)) (guest story)
“Terror by Transmat!” (Originally published in: The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ Guide to the Universe (an RPG book from Palladium Books))
“A Forgotten TMNT Adventure” (originally published as part of the Mirage Mini Comics collection)
“The Purpose of Fear” (Originally published in Turtle Soup (Vol. 2) #1) (COLOR)
“The Ring of Death” (Originally published in Turtle Soup (Vol. 2) #3) (COLOR)
"My Name is --- Galahad" (originally published in Big Bang Comics (vol. 1) #10) (guest story)
2 page TMNT story written by Neil Gaiman from the Comic Relief Comic (guest story)
“The Crossing” (Originally published in Usagi Yojimbo (Vol. 1) #10)
And if an agreement with Stan Sakai (and possibly Fantagraphics Books) can be reached, including the other TMNT/Usagi short crossover stories (“Turtle Soup and Rabbit Stew” and “The Treaty”) would be keen.

There's also all the backups in Tales of the TMNT vol. 2, but I think that they would be better off included in collections of the main Tales vol. 2 stories, as opposed to a short stories collection, but I made a separate thread to find out what everyone else thinks.

I'd like to see a collection of Casey Jones-centric specials and miniseries:
Muscle & Faith (graphic novel-length story)
Bodycount #1-4 (COLOR) (please fix the mistake that the Heavy Metal collected book made when they printed one page twice)
Casey Jones # 1 & 2 (COLOR) (guest story)

And here are some miscellaneous Turtle one-shots, mini series, guest appearances and non-canon Mirage TMNT vol. 1 issues that I feel would be more appropriately collected in a TMNT "Elseworlds/Infinities" collected book:
All the bonus material from Tales of the TMNT Original Vol. 1 Treasury Edition (i.e. new frontispieces, a new story called "Spinal Tapped" and a new epilogue)
Challenges (graphic novel)
TMNT vol. 1 #18, 22-23 (guest stories)
Green-Grey Sponge-Suit Sushi Turtles (one-shot parody) (COLOR)
“Twilight of the Ring” (Originally published in TMNT (Vol. 1) #37)
"The Violent Underground" (Originally published in TMNT (Vol. 1) #41)
“Turtle Dreams” by Matt Howarth (from TMNT (Vol. 1) #41) (guest story)
“The Haunted Pizza” by Matt Howarth (one-shot special (COLOR) (guest story)
TMNT vol. 1 #34, & 38-40 (guests story)
“The Maltese Turtle” (COLOR) (guest story, one-shot special)
TMNT vol. 1 #18 & 32 (ideally both the B&W and color versions be collected, maybe in the same book)
“Times Pipeline” (one-shot special) (COLOR) (guest story)
“Men of Shadow” by A.C. Farley (from TMNT (Vol. 1) #29)
“Turtles Take Time” by Richard Corben (from TMNT (Vol. 1) #33) (COLOR)
“Juliet’s Revenge” (from TMNT (Vol. 1) #41)
“Halls of Lost Legends” (from TMNT (Vol. 1) #43) (guest story)
TMNT vol. 1 #24-26 (guest story)
TMNT vol. 1 #30 (guest story)
Gizmo & the Fugitoid #1-2
Tales of Leo: Blind Sight #1-4
Raphael: Bad Moon Rising #1-4
Michelangelo: The Third Kind #1-4
Donatello: The Brain Thief #1-4
Coney Island Days (published TMNT Adventures story, meant for a TMNTA special)
CreeD/TMNT
The Last of the Viking Heroes Summer Special #2-3 (there was also a TMNT visit the Last of the Viking Heroes collected book that may have had some bonus material) (guest story)
TMNT/Savage Dragon Mini Comic (Action Figure pack-in)
TMNT Smash Up Comic Insert
Turtle Force Fan Club Mini Comic
And one or two other mini comics included with action figures that might be of interest to completists

There's also the Archie TMNT Adventures specials and minis, the movie adaptations and tie-ins, and the crossovers with Savage Dragon and Flaming Carrot, but they're probably better off being collected in their own themed collections.
Last edited by John Pannozzi on Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
John Pannozzi
I'm kind of a big deal

Next

Return to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles