Transformers History

Transformers is here! Discuss anything TF-related.

Moderators: ladywreck, tronprogram, bassbot, Ryall, JohnBarber, Cattleprod, CarlosG86

Transformers History

Postby John_R » Fri May 18, 2012 1:40 pm

I was wondering would the history of the Transformers race would be better off left a mystery to all of those concerned?
John_R
Forum Zombie

Postby Iacon_Pax » Fri May 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Where's the fun in that? :P
Iacon_Pax
Transforumer

Postby Bludgeon » Fri May 18, 2012 1:52 pm

No it would not.
Bludgeon
Transforumer

Postby Urzu Six » Fri May 18, 2012 2:05 pm

Uh... I think yes, actually. I like getting snippets that not even the TF's understand properly. It make them more real. We don't know what happened for sure back in the murky depths of our own evolution (physical, historical or social), why should they?

http://blacksquareart.deviantart.com/

Okay to print, and all that jazz
Urzu Six
Transforumer

Postby Hydralisk » Fri May 18, 2012 2:12 pm

They live too long. How could they not know, or have a very good idea? How old is Cybertron anyway?

And hasn't Alpha Trion been there from the beginning?
Hydralisk
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Verno » Fri May 18, 2012 4:34 pm

The problem is we'll get a history of it all, but it's only A history. People will disagree and denounce it because it doesn't fit their own ideas.

So it's perhaps better off unknown in great, intricate detail.
The TVC presents TransWarp: Csirac - Issue #1
Verno
Forum Zombie

Postby John_R » Fri May 18, 2012 7:18 pm

The mention of Primus and how he gave life to the Transformers was mentioned quite a bit. The only thing is, Optimus never believed in Primus that is until he becomes one with the Matrix.

I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but Primus was said to have just appeared from out of nowhere, the same with Unicron at the same time, since they are brothers.

The history between Primus and Unicron has been jumbled only to have Transformers receive bits and pieces. The Decepticons seem to believe that Primus is Cybertron, though they have to if they're power hungry, they will believe in any mythology that would grant them power, even when the Quintessons lead Galvatron to believe there is a Decepticon Matrix in the five part Five Faces of Darkness.

But, receiving bits and pieces of history can be a good thing. Especially if a certain Autobot wants to learn as much as possible in order to stop the war for good.
John_R
Forum Zombie

Postby CyclonusArmada » Sat May 19, 2012 11:11 am

Much as in real life the old axiom "History is written by the winners" probably applies to TF too. That said we shouldn't be told everything, as removing the mystery would remove a lot of the fun of stories such as Megatron: Origin or Spotlight: Shockwave. I don't want a play by play of the Great War or to see Soundwave's first day at work for Ratbat. Move forward, Not backwards.
CyclonusArmada
Transforumer

Postby Kirjava » Sat May 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Mmmm. We should see history when a) there's a good story to tell that couldn't be told in the present day, or b) it would serve a story told in the present day.
Kirjava
Transforumer

Postby Sprite » Sat May 19, 2012 12:20 pm

I wonder what it says that I read "serve" as "swerve"...

Is it Wednesday yet? :D
OK to print.
D&D/TMNT/MLP/X-Files modding, avatar tech support and shattered trousers repair.
Sprite
Transforumer

Postby John_R » Sat May 19, 2012 6:15 pm

Well there is much backstory that would probably take a long time to tell. I would like to see more Dark Energon come into play with the IDW Universe, if there were a way to bring Dark Energon into a new story, how do you think it would be told?

Also, another thing to consider is the rebirth of the Transformers, certain characters, they come back with their minds wiped out clean. They have no recollection of what happened or who they were. Ironhide for example, he arrives on Earth with Sunstreaker, Hot Rod and Wheelie along with an alien and he acts as if he's never been to Earth before.

Would a Transformer have to take time to sit in a room and have his memory restored, or would another Transformer have to do the job himself? I don't think Optimus has ever had something like that occur, has he?
John_R
Forum Zombie

Postby martin-m » Sun May 20, 2012 12:42 am

In the Marvel comics, the origin of the Transformers was never proven. Primus and Unicron claimed to be ancient gods trapped in corporeal form, but never showed any evidence to back it up. They were comparatively powerful and advanced, but not on the scale of being able to make much of a dent in a galaxy, let alone a universe. And Primus and Unicron do look suspiciously humanoid...

Another point to bear in mind is that computer brains can be programmed and reprogrammed with memories of anything that the programmer wishes. Someone could have built Cybertron, Unicron and the Transformers and programmed them all to believe any mythical origin that took their fancy.

For a race of robots, hard archaeological evidence would be more reliable than memories or computer records. Time-travel would be the only sure way of finding out.

When there was only one live-action Transformers film, I liked the fact that we saw the Transformers crash on Earth but never saw where they really came from. The humans only had their word to take for it that they were really even from another planet!

Martin
martin-m
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Verno » Sun May 20, 2012 1:41 am

That screams Quintessons, Martin...
The TVC presents TransWarp: Csirac - Issue #1
Verno
Forum Zombie

Postby KJ » Sun May 20, 2012 8:53 am

Yes.

Some things are better off left unknown.

With something like Transformers it's going to be hard to weave together a satisfying, and logical, explanation.

Wolverine was hugely popular for decades, and a large part of that was due to the fact that he didn't know his history.

It finally got explained, and a lot of people weren't happy with it. Their assumptions were cooler than the actual story. His Origin series sold well, but was definitely not universally liked at all.

Another good example: Star Wars. Decades of mystery of the past. Awesome sounding events like 'The Clone Wars'. What did it mean? Dunno, but it sounded awesome.

Then look at the prequels we got. A whiny little kid.

How many of the fans of the original trilogy were happy with the prequels, and their explanation of events before 'A New Hope'?

We're all these events as awesome as what you'd pictured and imagined in your head for years?

Sometimes a little mystery goes a long way.
Proud Member Of The 'Resurrect Bumper' Club.

...A Club Of One.
KJ
Transforumer

Postby azraelklk » Sun May 20, 2012 12:11 pm

No. No. And No again. This is to the "Dark Energon" reference above. Ridiculous kiddie concept. Energon should just be Energon. A naturally occurring crystal that can be refined into a powerful energy source.

I'm not real big on the TF history reveal either. Especially with any "Go-bots" style origin.

Anything I post may be printed.
azraelklk
Transforumer

Next

Return to Transformers