Transformers RID #3: Reactions, Reviews, Spoilers

Transformers is here! Discuss anything TF-related.

Moderators: ladywreck, tronprogram, bassbot, Ryall, JohnBarber, Cattleprod, CarlosG86

Postby Cattleprod » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:33 pm

Predacon leader Razorclaw took a lot of damage back in ongoing #13 and his fate was unclear until he showed up in RID #1. I can't recall any Stunticons getting killed, but Brawl of the Combaticons was last seen in a coma.
Cattleprod
Transforumer

Postby The Rev » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Aw .. found it in Bludgeopedia.

The technobots that bit it ... Lightspeed and Nosecone. Both died in the battle of Kimia.

Yeah Cattleprod .. that's what I was thinking of, ol' Razorclaw. Certainly appeared to die, but its up to debate. And Brawl at least taken out of action. Seems like an anti Gestalt conspiracy to me.

Just a little plot hole concerning combiner teams. Didn't Arcee slice the spark out of Brawl and Blast Off on Garus-9? I still remember reading that and fuming at the thought of no Bruticus. Then in comic book fashion, hey we're back! I was pleased at their return, but in the same token it lessens the impact that occured during that scene at Garrus-9, because not only was I lamenting the loss of Bruticus, but I was also awestruck in witnessing Arcee's shear socialpathic brutality. Surely it was meant to be fatal. Arcee only does fatal. Doesn't she?
The Rev
Transforumer

Postby Cattleprod » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:41 pm

Brawl and Blast-Off appeared in the background of the Furman-penned Spotlight: Sideswipe, long before it was necessary to confirm Brawl was alive so he could appear in the ongoing.
Cattleprod
Transforumer

Postby Snake Pliskin-o-bot » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:07 am

The Rev wrote:Aw .. found it in Bludgeopedia.

The technobots that bit it ... Lightspeed and Nosecone. Both died in the battle of Kimia.

Yeah Cattleprod .. that's what I was thinking of, ol' Razorclaw. Certainly appeared to die, but its up to debate. And Brawl at least taken out of action. Seems like an anti Gestalt conspiracy to me.

Just a little plot hole concerning combiner teams. Didn't Arcee slice the spark out of Brawl and Blast Off on Garus-9? I still remember reading that and fuming at the thought of no Bruticus. Then in comic book fashion, hey we're back! I was pleased at their return, but in the same token it lessens the impact that occured during that scene at Garrus-9, because not only was I lamenting the loss of Bruticus, but I was also awestruck in witnessing Arcee's shear socialpathic brutality. Surely it was meant to be fatal. Arcee only does fatal. Doesn't she?

I have to say; it always confuses me when people assume that a Transformers character has been killed off, unless it's explicitly stated. One of the things I loved about the comics as a kid (and still do, in fact) is that you can show these guys receiving ungodly amounts of visible damage but then have them back on their feet a few issues later after receiving repairs.

I remember when Hotrod raided the Decepticon asteroid and people were worried that he'd killed off Razorclaw, Shrapnel, Acid Storm and...was it Bombshell? All we saw was Bombshell, Shrapnel and Acid Storm take a single blaster shot, and later, Starscream stood over Razorclaw's prone body, with some smoke rising from it.

After seeing Starscream get his back blown out in Infiltration, Sunstreaker bombed to oblivion in AHM and Blitzwing reduced to iron filings twice in the early series, I don't tend to assume anybody's dead until it's 110% clear.
Snake Pliskin-o-bot
Transforumer

Postby The Rev » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:29 am

Well then ... I do believe I've had my ass handed to me.

And I must confess ... it is a nice ass. :D
The Rev
Transforumer

Postby ultramagnus1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:24 am

Anyone can potentially return. If you thin k of all the hammerings both Prime and Megs took in the past based on their stories in CT they still were able to return so technically anyone can return.

One of the most memorable TF comic book deaths was Shockwave in Legacy Of Unicron when Deaths Head destroyed him but removed his brain module just in case. That was a definitive death.

I wonder does such thing as a neural cluster exist in IDW TFs. According to Deaths Head in Wanted Galvatron it was the weakest point on all TFs. Readers wanted to know where it was and it turned out it was at the neck.

Just wondering....
"They all float. And when you're down here with us, you'll float too" - Pennywise the clown
ultramagnus1
Transforumer

Postby Snake Pliskin-o-bot » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:38 am

The Rev wrote:Well then ... I do believe I've had my ass handed to me.

And I must confess ... it is a nice ass. :D

Not at all man, I was just trying to allay your fears. You believe they're dead if you like though, you morbid, curvaceous fool! :)
Snake Pliskin-o-bot
Transforumer

Postby Focksbot » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:51 am

A writer could easily bring Lightspeed and Nosecone back, I reckon. Find them floating in space, having survived due to being so close to the epicentre of the blast that they effectively disappeared down a temporary wormhole, or something like that.

I agree that some of the reactions to TFs taking damage seem odd. I remember when Guzzle was ripped apart at the start of LSotW#5, and then used to smash Kup in the head. Everyone seemed to be saying: "Well, that's it for Guzzle, and wow, maybe even Kup is dead!" While I was thinking: "There's no way Kup's dead and surely a decent chance that Guzzle will still be able to crawl around with no legs."

I guess the rule I'm going by is: head/brain module destroyed = dead. Spark crushed/destroyed = dead. Anything else, however extreme = temporary deactivation. Hewn limbs = inconvenience. Shot to the chest = temporary blackout.
My personal website - it needs more pictures!
Sidekick Books - I publish books here
Focksbot
Transforumer

Postby ultramagnus1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:09 am

Focksbot wrote:A writer could easily bring Lightspeed and Nosecone back, I reckon. Find them floating in space, having survived due to being so close to the epicentre of the blast that they effectively disappeared down a temporary wormhole, or something like that.

I agree that some of the reactions to TFs taking damage seem odd. I remember when Guzzle was ripped apart at the start of LSotW#5, and then used to smash Kup in the head. Everyone seemed to be saying: "Well, that's it for Guzzle, and wow, maybe even Kup is dead!" While I was thinking: "There's no way Kup's dead and surely a decent chance that Guzzle will still be able to crawl around with no legs."

I guess the rule I'm going by is: head/brain module destroyed = dead. Spark crushed/destroyed = dead. Anything else, however extreme = temporary deactivation. Hewn limbs = inconvenience. Shot to the chest = temporary blackout.

The war could not have gone on for as long if the bots died relatively easily. Thats why I have some issues with how easily the bots died in the Animated Movie. Some of them died quite easily like Prowl and Brawn.

The bots must be able to withstand a certain amount of punishment before its permanent lights out.
"They all float. And when you're down here with us, you'll float too" - Pennywise the clown
ultramagnus1
Transforumer

Postby Urzu Six » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:44 pm

Prowl got melted from the inside by a Constructicon, so that's almost consistant from cartoon perspective. And if you watch the old series before the Movie, Brawn consistantly legs it whenever a gun mode Megatron is pointed anywhere near him.

I don't recall off the top of my head if gun mode Megs had actually hit anyone before the move...

Ironhide had his head blewed up... so that makes Ratchet the only one who shouldn't have died from his wounds, right?

http://blacksquareart.deviantart.com/

Okay to print, and all that jazz
Urzu Six
Transforumer

Postby Kirjava » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:02 pm

We twist ourselves in knots for the continuity, but we all know it came down to this: Old Toys Out, New Toys In. So it doesn't matter whether it made sense or not, Prowl, Brawl, Ironhide and Ratchet got done over in canon. They be dead. Let's not go making too much of a big deal over it when we have so many other canons to pick over like hungry crows.
Last edited by Kirjava on Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirjava
Transforumer

Postby cashel » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:15 am

I agree. But consistency is a good thing. And it seems our new creative teams are working to "correct" some of the past missteps without being bogged down by them. Ahm bothered me the most with calling old characters new and basically ignoring the great stuff that had preceded it. But it was still a fun easy read. But I'll take the current additions to the mythology over anything that has come before.
The board won't approve my password- I can't post!:( idw- loving arah- tf vs. Joe- and the revamp BUT wanting more team members and classic uniforms!!
cashel
Transforumer

Postby cashel » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:15 am

I agree. But consistency is a good thing. And it seems our new creative teams are working to "correct" some of the past missteps without being bogged down by them. Ahm bothered me the most with calling old characters new and basically ignoring the great stuff that had preceded it. But it was still a fun easy read. But I'll take the current additions to the mythology over anything that has come before.
The board won't approve my password- I can't post!:( idw- loving arah- tf vs. Joe- and the revamp BUT wanting more team members and classic uniforms!!
cashel
Transforumer

Postby ultramagnus1 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:38 am

Consistency is a good thing in characters and situations.

I think RiD is going very well so far as is MTMTE. I also think events in Autocracy will have repercussions in the modern story. Particularly regarding Orion Pax but thats just a feeling and isnt based on anything more then that. :D
ultramagnus1
Transforumer

Postby Soundwave » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:14 pm

ultramagnus1 wrote:Anyone can potentially return. If you thin k of all the hammerings both Prime and Megs took in the past based on their stories in CT they still were able to return so technically anyone can return.

One of the most memorable TF comic book deaths was Shockwave in Legacy Of Unicron when Deaths Head destroyed him but removed his brain module just in case. That was a definitive death.

I wonder does such thing as a neural cluster exist in IDW TFs. According to Deaths Head in Wanted Galvatron it was the weakest point on all TFs. Readers wanted to know where it was and it turned out it was at the neck.

Just wondering....

Hnnnnnnnn, I never saw those issues. I had a huge problem with Deaths Head suddenly handing major cons there arse with no problem.

:roll:
Everything I post is ok to print, use, copy, use for inspiration, promote world peace, change lives, etc...and so on and so on. ;)

Rumble Eject! Operation, collateral damage.
Soundwave
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers