The IDW Kaiju Watchers' Club!

Godzilla, Hedorah, Mothra, Rodan... doesn't matter who your favorite Toho monster is, chances are you'll see them in our coming comics. C'mon in and get some good "flame wars" going.

Moderators: Bobby Curnow, Mowry

The IDW Kaiju Watchers' Club!

Postby HdE » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:28 am

Yo yo yo!

After discussing this earlier in the 'Favourite Godzilla Movies' thread, I figured I'd get the ball rolling on this.

My first batch of Godzilla DVDs arrived today, and I'm itching to sit down and start watching! Of course, there's the small matter of a few funnybooks I have to letter first, but that's just a detail.

Meantime, as I await the next batch of DVDs, do any of you guys have a suggestion for a movie to start our viewing sessions with? Likewise, any suggestions as to how we could proceed with the viewings and commenting on them would be good.
I letter comics. Quite a bit.

Image
User avatar
HdE
Transforumer
 
Posts: 7056
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Side 7

Postby Urzu Six » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:53 pm

Dunno. Start at the beginning and work our way forwards?
Image

http://blacksquareart.deviantart.com/

Okay to print, and all that jazz
User avatar
Urzu Six
Transforumer
 
Posts: 2170
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:51 am
Location: Derby, UK

Postby HdE » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:08 pm

WHOAH THERE! That's some radical thinking!

I was thinking it might be an idea to just cherry pick certain movies as availability and inclination strikes us, rather than tackle them in any sort of chronological order.

I figure it might make sense to start off with a movie that's well regsrded among the fan base, just to get things off with a bang. Or a skreeongk. Or whatever.

Whaddya reckon?
I letter comics. Quite a bit.

Image
User avatar
HdE
Transforumer
 
Posts: 7056
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Side 7

Postby MechGamera » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:15 pm

All depends on which ones you now have. So did you buy any more then after your first batch?
User avatar
MechGamera
Forum Zombie
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:10 pm

Postby Urzu Six » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:20 pm

HdE wrote:WHOAH THERE! That's some radical thinking!

I was thinking it might be an idea to just cherry pick certain movies as availability and inclination strikes us, rather than tackle them in any sort of chronological order.

I figure it might make sense to start off with a movie that's well regsrded among the fan base, just to get things off with a bang. Or a skreeongk. Or whatever.

Whaddya reckon?


KREEEEE-ONK is my sfx of choice.
Image

http://blacksquareart.deviantart.com/

Okay to print, and all that jazz
User avatar
Urzu Six
Transforumer
 
Posts: 2170
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:51 am
Location: Derby, UK

Postby Rhuen » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:47 pm

Showa era movies it doesn't really matter what order you watch them except for these

Son Of Godzilla-Destroy All Monsters

Godzilla vs Mecha-Godzilla - Terror of Mecha Godzilla.

the rest you can just watch in what ever order, especially as the timeline gets kind of screwy around the middle so its hard to tell what happens when or if it matters.

However the Heisei era (90's movies) do have continuity between them; especially if you try to follow that side-plot with the psychics.

So start with Godzilla 1985 and work you way up through Godzilla vs Destoroyah which is the last one of that era.

Past this point, the remainder are all single shots that are only sequals to the very first movie with one/two exceptions.

Godzilla Against Mecha-Godzilla - Godzilla Tokyo SOS

(also those two keep Godzilla, Mothra, Space Amoeba, and War of the Gargantuas in its continuity)
Rhuen
Forum Zombie
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Aesperia

Postby MechGamera » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:53 pm

Don't forget Godzilla and Godzilla raids again are in continuity with each other.
User avatar
MechGamera
Forum Zombie
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:10 pm

Postby HdE » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:28 pm

S'all cool, fellas. I'd done a bit of research before committing my pennies, so I have some clue now of where everything fits together (or not, as the case may be).

As for this:

MechGamera wrote:All depends on which ones you now have. So did you buy any more then after your first batch?


Mighty gentlemanly of you to consider me like that, MechGamera. But if you guys want to get stuck into some chatter, feel free to start anytime without me!

(In all seriousness, there may be time when my workload doesn't permit me to participate, so don't be waiting for me by any means.)

But, to answer the question, I HAVE picked up a few more of the movies. I found the Godzilla collection on Amazon for reasonable money - just waiting to see if the seller actually has it in stock, as they've let me down in that respect before.

Meantime, Godzilla 2000, Final Wars and Tokyo SOS arrived today. There's a few others that I ordered at the same time that didn't arrive, so I expect to receive those any minute.



Say - here's a question: How frequently would you guys like to do this once it's in full swing? Once a month? Fortnightly? Every full moon?
I letter comics. Quite a bit.

Image
User avatar
HdE
Transforumer
 
Posts: 7056
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Side 7

Postby MechGamera » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:53 pm

See how we go with the first one. See how long it takes for the replies to dry up before moving on. Would also help if we all watched the same cut and Dub/subbed version if possible. Would make no sense if for instance someone watched the Japanese version of Godzilla versus King Kong while every one else watched the Americanized version. They are far different. So post which version you watched in the opening post of each thread.
User avatar
MechGamera
Forum Zombie
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:10 pm

Postby Rhuen » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:43 pm

MechGamera wrote:See how we go with the first one. See how long it takes for the replies to dry up before moving on. Would also help if we all watched the same cut and Dub/subbed version if possible. Would make no sense if for instance someone watched the Japanese version of Godzilla versus King Kong while every one else watched the Americanized version. They are far different. So post which version you watched in the opening post of each thread.


Other than some bad translations, and missing the Godzilla roar at the end the two versions of King Kong vs Godzilla really arn't that different.

I'd say for major differences

the original, I own both versions, and actually prefer the Americinized version (mostly because, as grant as this movie is, in its original form it tries to make the whole event so big and effect so many people, that it can be hard to relate to any of the human characters as you'll jump between like six families before they land on Shirigawa)

The american version narrows the focus, and cuts out a good chunk of scenes, granted there is one part that only made sense after watching the Japanese version *electrical lines*.


Godzilla Raids again; the American version was worse, mostly because it added these pointless scenes of scientists discussing "fire monsters"; which it seems back then Japanese movies, and traditionally Japanese horror does not require much in the way of explinations for things. While American movies and horror do have these explinations (even when they make no sense what so ever).

Godzilla Raids again is one of those instances where I like having no explination. I don't need it. In fact I can think of a number of American classic horror and sci-fi that would have been better if we didn't have some random scientist, psychic, old man of the mountain, who knows everything about what is going on and interupts the story to tell us about it. Sometimes the monster needs that air of mystery, let the audience guess. (one of the few things I liked about Cloverfield).
Rhuen
Forum Zombie
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Aesperia

Postby Batagor » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:37 pm

Rhuen wrote:
Godzilla Raids again; the American version was worse, mostly because it added these pointless scenes of scientists discussing "fire monsters"


Are you kidding? These parts of the movie are very helpful... and I learned so much!
"It doesn't make sense... babies can't even vote!"
Batagor
Transforumer
 
Posts: 749
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:15 pm
Location: Monster Island

Postby TokyoVigilante » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:18 pm

Rhuen wrote:
MechGamera wrote:See how we go with the first one. See how long it takes for the replies to dry up before moving on. Would also help if we all watched the same cut and Dub/subbed version if possible. Would make no sense if for instance someone watched the Japanese version of Godzilla versus King Kong while every one else watched the Americanized version. They are far different. So post which version you watched in the opening post of each thread.


Other than some bad translations, and missing the Godzilla roar at the end the two versions of King Kong vs Godzilla really arn't that different.

I'd say for major differences

the original, I own both versions, and actually prefer the Americinized version (mostly because, as grant as this movie is, in its original form it tries to make the whole event so big and effect so many people, that it can be hard to relate to any of the human characters as you'll jump between like six families before they land on Shirigawa)

The american version narrows the focus, and cuts out a good chunk of scenes, granted there is one part that only made sense after watching the Japanese version *electrical lines*.


The Japanese cut of King Kong vs. Godzilla is a satirical look at the surge of consumerism that overtook post-war Japan. It's about a marketing executive using monsters as advertising gimmicks. It's genius and one of the sharper written Godzilla films, not to mention it's a straight up comedy which makes it noteworthy in Godzilla canon.

The American cut completely butchers and guts the film of any substance and replaces one of Ifukube's best scores of his career with a bunch of stock music from Revenge of the Creature; the film has the monsters bouncing around like jolly fools, because the tone of the source material is comedic, but the American cut expects the audience to take it in the same dower and straight-faced manner that Western monster films are made tonally.

The American cut, IMO, is unbearable. If you have the original cut, with the artistic intent of the original creators intact, is always preferable for giving a film a fair shake then watching a hacked up version made to appeal to a specific demographic.

The Japanese cut is one of my personal favorites of the entire genre, by far. Amazing suit, amazing music, incredible narrative scope, clever writing, and the best fight in the history of monster movies.
Godzilla, '62
Rodan, '65
King Ghidorah, '65
Kumonga, '67
King Seesar, '74
User avatar
TokyoVigilante
Comic Book Guy
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:03 am

Postby Kingoji » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:05 am

And the discussions have begun without having to watch a film. :)
Image

Print me easy!
User avatar
Kingoji
Transforumer
 
Posts: 1305
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Postby Rhuen » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:23 am

The American cut completely butchers and guts the film of any substance and replaces one of Ifukube's best scores of his career with a bunch of stock music from Revenge of the Creature; the film has the monsters bouncing around like jolly fools, because the tone of the source material is comedic, but the American cut expects the audience to take it in the same dower and straight-faced manner that Western monster films are made tonally.

The American cut, IMO, is unbearable. If you have the original cut, with the artistic intent of the original creators intact, is always preferable for giving a film a fair shake then watching a hacked up version made to appeal to a specific demographic.

The Japanese cut is one of my personal favorites of the entire genre, by far. Amazing suit, amazing music, incredible narrative scope, clever writing, and the best fight in the history of monster movies.[/quote]


I wander though, how well known this movie would be if either of the first two drafts of the script had been made.

1st: King Kong vs Frankenstein

2nd: altered script to be Godzilla vs Frankenstein (with the King Kong part re-written for Godzilla)

Final draft: King Kong was put back into the script, but took the part of Frankenstein (thus we ended up with King Kong being empowered by lightning)

A simular thing happened later with the movie that would become "Godzilla vs the Sea Monster" which was originally written to be a giant Frankenstein (hence the lightning again), but this time working in Godzilla's favor.

All this jumping about, and Toho never used the Giant Frankenstein ever again after "Frankenstein Conquers the World".
Rhuen
Forum Zombie
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Aesperia

Postby MechGamera » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:37 am

The original idea for those not in the know was by Willis O'Brien, he of King Kong fame. It was Picked up by John Beck who not only Butchered the American version but in the end was responsible for O'Brien being robbed of his rightful place on the films credits. Imagine taking the project to TOHO and making a deal behind O'Briens back. The scenes added and also deleated helped destroy the film in my eyes. The japanese version is not only far different it is far superior in both quality and story.

It is the most altered Godzilla film ever and robs the American audience one of the best comedic performances in any Godzilla film.

How it can be said there is little diffrence betwixed the films is beyond me. It also sports one of the most realistic gorilla costumes ever seen on film : )
User avatar
MechGamera
Forum Zombie
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:10 pm

Next

Return to Godzilla and the Toho Monsters

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests