COBRA #10 Preview/Discussion *SPOILERS*

Yo, Joe! The base of operations for your comments is open and ready for your transmissions.

Moderators: JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Mariah, shanecdavis

BEST COVER

Cover A (Dave Wilkins)
15%
Cover B (Antonio Fuso)
54%
Cover RI (Tom Whalen)
31%

Total votes : 13

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:38 pm

Eagleyes wrote:Does this mean Chameleon 1 will become Jinx 2?

Kind of sounds like it... kind of seems like she was always suppose to be the Jinx we knew from marvel... but since she came in to replace someone named Jinx they had to use a different code name to not confuse anyone...but now they will have to use the another not currently used code name for her...so yeah I see her becoming Jinx 2.0. With her screwed up past I see the Jinx name fitting, along with her apparent martial arts training. I know they said Jinx 1.0 had all that too, but they never showed it.
Author: Karate is Self-Defense Available at Amazon.com. Kindle version available.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby Eagleyes » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:29 am

so what do you fans think of this move, if indeed, she is the "new" Jinx 2.0

do it change the effect of losing the Jinx character because she never really was the beloved Kimi from the Marvel universe? And here we have Jinx back but still not the cousin of Tommy

or does it not change the effect of Jinx death, because it was Chuckles literally killing another Joe to keep his cover (who was his handler and lover), even though unknown to him, his cover was already blown and the Twins were just sick twisted freaks to see how far they could push him?
Eagleyes
Transforumer

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:53 am

I don't think it changes anything. and who's to say that either Jinx could be the cousin of Tommy, should they want to go that way. Neither Jinx has much of a history yet other than their actions in previous books. So far not many of the characters have a lot of back story, IDW can do what ever they want in that regard.
Author: Karate is Self-Defense Available at Amazon.com. Kindle version available.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby maczero » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:09 pm

This was excellent! Costa's back to form! Alex Cal's art was distinct and uber realistic as usual! Love that Krake is being proactive and eliminating the Council. Lots of continuity nods to past Cobra arcs while still meshing well with what Dixon is doing in his books. I'm even happy to see Chameleon 1 again. Honestly, I can't think of a single negative with this ish. Great job, IDW!

With her screwed up past I see the Jinx name fitting, along with her apparent martial arts training. I know they said Jinx 1.0 had all that too, but they never showed it.

I don't remember anything being hinted about her past that was "screwed up". Can you tell where you're getting this? Anywho, I have no problem with her becoming the "Jinx" of this continuity (well other than the confusion of a single character with two duplicate names). And no, her becoming Jinx doesn't take away from the awesomeness of the first Cobra mini. The one thing I will say if she does become Jinx, "DO NOT MAKE HER TOMMY'S COUSIN"! I had enough of that everyone's connected to Snake-Eyes or the Arashikage clan during the Marvel run.
Need to buy, rent or sell a home in DC or Northern VA, then contact me at realtorva@verizon.net
maczero
Transforumer

Postby RG1701 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:36 pm

Are we also going to get a Cobra Civil War 2.0? :P

Wait, how is CC eliminating the Council if the Council hides their identity?

Loved the preview, Serpentor's joke about the Norwegians actually made me like him a bit more. (I've hated Serpentor in all the continuities)
RG1701
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:18 pm

maczero wrote:
I don't remember anything being hinted about her past that was "screwed up". Can you tell where you're getting this?

Read Cobra II issues 1-4, there is a lot there about how she got picked for the assignment and how she left the organization... That is her past and it is screwed up.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby maczero » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:40 am

RG1701 wrote:Wait, how is CC eliminating the Council if the Council hides their identity?
Some of Cobra's power players such as Tomax know at least one member of the Council. It's possible that Baroness knew at least one of them as well. Krake probably approached her and asked how she would feel about eliminating the Council. She obviously said "yes". And as we saw in this ish, all she had to do was torture the one guy she knew to find out the rest of the Council's identities.
Need to buy, rent or sell a home in DC or Northern VA, then contact me at realtorva@verizon.net
maczero
Transforumer

Postby RG1701 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:03 am

So, the Consuls know each other?

That seems...pretty badly planned out for an evil organization that has probably existed for at least a century without anyone hearing a peep until now.

Then again, I'm just a fan boy. I don't really know the the level of practicality in keeping everyone isolated, yet directing the goals of an evil terrorist organization while not really knowing what each individual member of High Command is capable of. That issue alone would require at least some of the Consuls to know each other. But each one to know all of 'em? I don't know.

Cobra Commander is bat crazy. By killing the Consuls, he's eliminating major contacts in government and major corporations. He's reducing Cobra's influence on the power structures of the world...sure, he'll be in command of Cobra...but a much less powerful Cobra. This Cobra Commander is now like ARAH Cobra Commander post coma: complete sociopathic narcissist.

I wonder how the Prime Consul will react. Hopefully, there's a good story in there about Cobra splintering between surving Council members, Serpentor, and the Commander. That should have been the true Civil War story.

On a final note, the Baroness is making good on her plans for revenge against the Council. She promised all the way back in the first season that she would pay them back for delaying her rescue. :P
RG1701
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby General Tekno » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:04 am

RG1701 wrote:So, the Consuls know each other?

That seems...pretty badly planned out for an evil organization that has probably existed for at least a century without anyone hearing a peep until now.

Then again, I'm just a fan boy. I don't really know the the level of practicality in keeping everyone isolated, yet directing the goals of an evil terrorist organization while not really knowing what each individual member of High Command is capable of. That issue alone would require at least some of the Consuls to know each other. But each one to know all of 'em? I don't know.

Cobra Commander is bat crazy. By killing the Consuls, he's eliminating major contacts in government and major corporations. He's reducing Cobra's influence on the power structures of the world...sure, he'll be in command of Cobra...but a much less powerful Cobra. This Cobra Commander is now like ARAH Cobra Commander post coma: complete sociopathic narcissist.

I wonder how the Prime Consul will react. Hopefully, there's a good story in there about Cobra splintering between surving Council members, Serpentor, and the Commander. That should have been the true Civil War story.

On a final note, the Baroness is making good on her plans for revenge against the Council. She promised all the way back in the first season that she would pay them back for delaying her rescue. :P

Not all the council members have to know each other.

But everyone knows some, I'm sure. So all Baroness has to do is just torture each one to get a few more names, in theory.
Big Time Toons - updated Tuesdays!

And what I say is OK to Print!
General Tekno
Transforumer

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:36 pm

The high command would have to know each other to do business. How could you have a high command without having some form of personal information of at least some of them. How could you have leverage on them, how would you know if you were even doing bussiness with the same people each time? I also don't think it hurts Krake any because he has his own way of manipulating governments and people. He has no use for the old ways of the high command.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby The Rev » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:32 pm

I'm sorry. Sprite is going to kill me, but Baroness in a towel?! :D

God bless you Costa, God bless you.
The Rev
Transforumer

Postby RG1701 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:23 pm

Mamu_Nestor wrote:The high command would have to know each other to do business. How could you have a high command without having some form of personal information of at least some of them. How could you have leverage on them, how would you know if you were even doing bussiness with the same people each time? I also don't think it hurts Krake any because he has his own way of manipulating governments and people. He has no use for the old ways of the high command.

Well, that's why I said later in my post that some of the Consuls would have to know each other in order to operate Cobra. I'm just not sure I buy one knowing all of the Consuls, which implies they all know each other.

Then again, without knowing in detail how I would structure Cobra so that no one Consul knows the identities of all the other Consuls, I can't completely criticize the idea. You basically brought up the same point I did, that in order to operate some Consuls would have to know each other and maybe, realistically, that would be each member knows the identity of all the otheer members. I guess I just never considered that.

I'm not sure I buy that Cobra Commander has his own way of manipulating the governments. I'm sure the Consuls are doing a lot of behind the scenes work in making sure that reaction to the Nanzhao invasion is slow. CC just seems nothing more than a hammer.
RG1701
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby maczero » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:55 am

RG1701 wrote:I'm not sure I buy that Cobra Commander has his own way of manipulating the governments. I'm sure the Consuls are doing a lot of behind the scenes work in making sure that reaction to the Nanzhao invasion is slow. CC just seems nothing more than a hammer.
I don't think CC so much cares for manipulation through subterfuge. He's more about terror and chaos. Truthfully, I agree with you that Cobra as a whole will be weakened relying solely on Krake's methods. In my opinion, if you really want to rule the world then don't let the masses know about it. Cobra had tons of influence and power remaining in the shadows. Now that they've exposed themselves, I can't see a lot of good from it. This isn't to say I'm not enjoying this storyline. What's going on is great stuff but Krake's end game still has me scratching my head.
maczero
Transforumer

Postby Machete Phil » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:41 am

I liked this latest issue of “Cobra” within the Cobra Command arc much better than the last one. As opposed to the last issue of Cobra, this issue actually felt like it was written by Costa. I am really digging this new twist where Krake is trying to take out the Consul, which appears to be resulting in the key players (Bludd, Serpentor, Tomax, Baroness, etc.) taking up sides against one another. It kinda reminds me of the hierarchical back-stabbing and in-fighting of the old Marvel ARAH days, except a lot grittier and with more “mature” storytelling this time around. I also love how cold and heartless the Baroness continues to be in the reboot… taking out hot-tubbing hotties with no remorse as collateral damage as she goes after the member of the Consul (the towel scene wasn’t bad either!).

Anyways, I’m loving the more hard-core, all-out action that’s currently going on over in the Dixon books right now, as well… but Costa’s contribution to the arc is adding in some much needed character development to the Cobra Command storyline that is sometimes missing from Dixon’s writing.

Can’t wait till the next issue (of both Cobra and Cobra Command, in general)!
But from that point on... Phil Coletti was forever known as... Machete Phil.
Machete Phil
Transforumer

Postby The Father of Grain » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:56 pm

Love the way the former Chameleon was drawn in this issue.
Okay to print all the sh*t I say. Please quote me as RiceDaddy7. Not Father of Grain.
The Father of Grain
Forum Zombie

Previous

Return to G.I. Joe