30th Anniversary ARAH Reading Marathon - Week 3

Yo, Joe! The base of operations for your comments is open and ready for your transmissions.

Moderators: JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Mariah, shanecdavis

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:29 am

13 another great issue. These really are some of the best. Bringing in Torpedo another one of my favorite characters, but I didn't like the figure until the 25th version. Showing that Kwinn Dr Venom and Snake Eyes really are the most dangerous people in the Joeverse...according to the Baroness.

14 was an awesome continuation. Showing that Snake eyes and Venom live but that none of the Joes know. Showing what a good scheme CC can put together...showing the duplicitous nature of Destro as we first hear his name, but also learn that it is not his true name and that he and the Baroness have a history. Showing how smart Dr Venom really is having his insurance plan in case he was betrayed. Great stuff.

Volumes 2 and 3 (issues 11-30) encapsulate some of my favorite Joe stories.
Author: Karate is Self-Defense Available at Amazon.com. Kindle version available.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby shanecdavis » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:19 am

Finished up #12 and #13. It was a shame back when I was younger that I missed out on these. Not knowing anything about comic books, and having a general lack of the concept of time, my weekly visits to our Circle K proved unfruitful. The interesting thing is #11 would be the only issue I ever bought at that Circle K. Across the street we had a car wash place where I used to buy my football cards. Well, it closed down some time the previous year and was abandoned for a while until construction started up in the fall if I remember correctly. It stopped during the winter but picked right back up. My friends and I were all very anxious to see what could be replacing our old secret hangout. It ended up being a 7-11, which would be our new and improved hangout for years to come, not to mention my main source of Joe comics until I got older and found a comic shop on the east side of town, close to the freeway. I have many memories of my friend Kent and I mowing lawns and then riding our bikes to Grand Central to buy new Joe toys. Then we would stop at the "Sev" on the way home and hope for the new comic to be sitting on the shelf. We checked every week for months, usually missing out on the month's issue, until the clerk realized what our ritual was and started letting us know when she got her shipments. That was an evil place. Every penny I earned that wasn't earmarked for Joe toys was spent there, either for Big Gulps/Slurpees or the arcade games (which Circle K didn't have) or the monthly Joe comic. It got to the point where we were on a first name basis with her and my mom actually grounded me from going there a few times as a form of punishment.

The first time I read about these issues was actually in Yearbook 1. I then was able to read the whole issue when the small digests came out. I actualy didn't get my hands on the actual comics until a few years ago. Well, enough of my trip down memory lane. On to the story itself.

This would be the first time we had a plot take multiple issues to reach it's conclusion. Personally, this type of storytelling is my favorite. Single self-contained issues are okay on occasion, but watching a plot unfold over six or more issues is just more enjoyable for me. Otherwise, most of the time the story just feels rushed, especially at the end. Mr. Hama paced out #12 and #13 masterfully, giving us a heavy dose of action sequences with some humor sprinkled in. I always enjoyed the humor elements, as long as they didn't overtake the story. Same with the sci-fi and mystical arts. It has been my experience in the Marines that it's pretty common to break up tense situations with a bit of humor, so I enjoyed those moments more as I got older.

How about Gung-Ho? Gets introduced in #11 and is already paired up with Snake Eyes as the BAMF team. This is also the first introduction of Scar-face, the much maligned COBRA Trooper, who throughout the next few issues you just couldn't help but feel sorry for. Venom returns and easily deduces who Stalker and Breaker are. Kwinn makes a surprise appearance, although the scene with him disarming the Joes with a burst of his .30 cal is a bit much. That bothered me the first time I read it and bothers me more now. Could have done the same thing with a pistol and it would actually be believable. Luckiest eskimo ever I guess. You know he isn't a good guy, but the way he carries himself and is so honorable in fulfilling his contract, you cannot help but like the big lug.

Interesting to see Venom get revenge on a tied up Snake Eyes, leave him for dead, and then correctly deduce that he is still alive. For some reason though he ends up relying too much on the island's defenses. Snake Eyes had already beaten death twice since he met him, but I guess he felt there were more pressing matters. I am not a big Vosburg fan, but the two panels of Gung-Ho breaking free of the ropes and then taking out the guards were very well done. Of course after praising him, I am going to tear him down a bit with his depiction of the island. It seems to me that from Baroness' comment - "Kwinn will stay on the island with Dr. Venom ferret out that insufferable Snake-Eyes!" - it would seem the island was supposed to be bigger than it was. From the art, there really is no place to hide, other than the other side of the bunker. Kwinn and Venom could have swept that in about 5 seconds. It also would seem to me that Snake Eyes would have been better off neutralizing the plane after sending his buddies off on the boat as it would be the only way off the island. If he succeeds, they can come back and pick him up, if he doesn't there isn't a way for COBRA to get off the island without exposing themselves to the Joes. Oh well, sometimes you just gotta tell the story. I will admit, that was one helluva cliffhanger at the end of #12. A shame again I never got to enjoy it.

The next issue though started off with a few groaners. First, while I appreciate Mr. Hama providing some good information about the indigenous reptiles, I just can't see a man being able to provide that kind of detail while wrestling with a croc. Would have made more sense if Stalker would have spouted all that out when he emerged from the water, while still on the adrenaline kick, before passing out. The next groan was the fire. I didn't have a problem with it when I read through it as a youngster, but once I went through boot camp I sure did. I can understand if Breaker built it himself after Gung-Ho left, being a simple soldier, but Mr. Hama made Gung-Ho out to be one of the stupidest Marines in the history of the Corps for doing that. Personally, I chose to believe that Breaker lied and said Gung-Ho did it to deflect the blame from himself.

Thankfully the rest of the issue was strong enough that those two things didn't end up bugging me. Too much. Another great teaching moment as Stalker gives us a lesson on how to properly defend a position. More of Gung-Ho being Gung-Ho. While I liked the scene of Hawk throwing a team together and the introduction of Torpedo (who was vastly underused in this series, although SEALs didn't nearly get the recognition back then as they do now), Scarlett's face upon learning Snake Eyes' fate was uncertain was just...weird. Same thing when she is deploying from the C-130. Vosburg's attention to detail was very hit and miss during his run.

I will admit that reading through CC's explanation of the true mission left me scratching my head this time around, which is a good thing as it means I am genuinely interested to see how this whole thing plays out. I know they were leading the Joes to find the micro dot, which I remember how that plays out, but the diversion from the research station hasn't clicked in my brain yet. Despite a few complaints, this story continued to be very enjoyable and I hadn't even gotten to the Joe's exfiltration yet.

Speaking of which, how impressive is that entire scene? The Joes securing the airfield and then defending it while the others worked their way there. Then they made their escape driving up the ramp of the C-130. That's tough. That's also a tactic that the Joes would perform again a few times years later. Then, as it was last issue, Mr. Hama dropped a doozy on us with the last few panels showing the sunken bunker and tapping from inside. If any of you picked up that issue when it first came out would share your thoughts on these two cliffhangers, I would really enjoy reading about it. Did you ever question whether or not Snake Eyes, Kwinn, and Venom actually survived? I read #14 long before these two issues so I knew they survived, although I wouldn't know the circumstances of them being in the bunker until a year or so later.

Again, these two issues were a great intro into what would come over the next few months. While these issues definitely were the beginning of what we like to term the "Golden Age" of the Marvel run, personally it wouldn't be until the most iconic issue ever came out when things really started taking off. For me anyway.

Next up is #14, my second issue.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby Torpedo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:15 pm

shanecdavis wrote:Finished up #12 and #13. It was a shame back when I was younger that I missed out on these. Not knowing anything about comic books, and having a general lack of the concept of time, my weekly visits to our Circle K proved unfruitful. The interesting thing is #11 would be the only issue I ever bought at that Circle K. Across the street we had a car wash place where I used to buy my football cards. Well, it closed down some time the previous year and was abandoned for a while until construction started up in the fall if I remember correctly. It stopped during the winter but picked right back up. My friends and I were all very anxious to see what could be replacing our old secret hangout. It ended up being a 7-11, which would be our new and improved hangout for years to come, not to mention my main source of Joe comics until I got older and found a comic shop on the east side of town, close to the freeway. I have many memories of my friend Kent and I mowing lawns and then riding our bikes to Grand Central to buy new Joe toys. Then we would stop at the "Sev" on the way home and hope for the new comic to be sitting on the shelf. We checked every week for months, usually missing out on the month's issue, until the clerk realized what our ritual was and started letting us know when she got her shipments. That was an evil place. Every penny I earned that wasn't earmarked for Joe toys was spent there, either for Big Gulps/Slurpees or the arcade games (which Circle K didn't have) or the monthly Joe comic. It got to the point where we were on a first name basis with her and my mom actually grounded me from going there a few times as a form of punishment.

The first time I read about these issues was actually in Yearbook 1. I then was able to read the whole issue when the small digests came out. I actualy didn't get my hands on the actual comics until a few years ago. Well, enough of my trip down memory lane. On to the story itself.

All I got from this was a memory of the line from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure:

"Dude, strange things are afoot at the Circle K."

:wink:

Great reminiscence, shane, and great reviews/recaps of the issues. I'll try and read these again tonight and post my thoughts.
Torpedo
Transforumer

Postby ER » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:42 pm

So much fun reading everyone's comments/thoughts for week 3 so far! Thanks everyone for participating! #11, here I come :)
ER
Transforumer

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:50 pm

15 is another great one. Intro Major Bludd, Destro professes his feelings for the Baroness and CC plots the destruction of Destro because he suspects his betrayal. I love the back and fourth with Venom Kwinn and Snake eyes. Trying to dump them out of the plane then saying...I didn't know what I was thinking... Venom setting up the lawyer to get him out before he lands is genius too. Also the fact that a bad guy knows bad guys even from a far, with the gun runners on the boat.

I can't wait for next week. This is fun.
Author: Karate is Self-Defense Available at Amazon.com. Kindle version available.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby jackharkness » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:48 pm

shanecdavis wrote:Finished up #12 and #13. It was a shame back when I was younger that I missed out on these. Not knowing anything about comic books, and having a general lack of the concept of time, my weekly visits to our Circle K proved unfruitful. The interesting thing is #11 would be the only issue I ever bought at that Circle K. Across the street we had a car wash place where I used to buy my football cards. Well, it closed down some time the previous year and was abandoned for a while until construction started up in the fall if I remember correctly. It stopped during the winter but picked right back up. My friends and I were all very anxious to see what could be replacing our old secret hangout. It ended up being a 7-11, which would be our new and improved hangout for years to come, not to mention my main source of Joe comics until I got older and found a comic shop on the east side of town, close to the freeway. I have many memories of my friend Kent and I mowing lawns and then riding our bikes to Grand Central to buy new Joe toys. Then we would stop at the "Sev" on the way home and hope for the new comic to be sitting on the shelf. We checked every week for months, usually missing out on the month's issue, until the clerk realized what our ritual was and started letting us know when she got her shipments. That was an evil place. Every penny I earned that wasn't earmarked for Joe toys was spent there, either for Big Gulps/Slurpees or the arcade games (which Circle K didn't have) or the monthly Joe comic. It got to the point where we were on a first name basis with her and my mom actually grounded me from going there a few times as a form of punishment.

This would be the first time we had a plot take multiple issues to reach it's conclusion. Personally, this type of storytelling is my favorite. Single self-contained issues are okay on occasion, but watching a plot unfold over six or more issues is just more enjoyable for me. Otherwise, most of the time the story just feels rushed, especially at the end. Mr. Hama paced out #12 and #13 masterfully, giving us a heavy dose of action sequences with some humor sprinkled in. I always enjoyed the humor elements, as long as they didn't overtake the story. Same with the sci-fi and mystical arts. It has been my experience in the Marines that it's pretty common to break up tense situations with a bit of humor, so I enjoyed those moments more as I got older.

How about Gung-Ho? Gets introduced in #11 and is already paired up with Snake Eyes as the BAMF team. This is also the first introduction of Scar-face, the much maligned COBRA Trooper, who throughout the next few issues you just couldn't help but feel sorry for. Venom returns and easily deduces who Stalker and Breaker are. Kwinn makes a surprise appearance, although the scene with him disarming the Joes with a burst of his .30 cal is a bit much. That bothered me the first time I read it and bothers me more now. Could have done the same thing with a pistol and it would actually be believable. Luckiest eskimo ever I guess. You know he isn't a good guy, but the way he carries himself and is so honorable in fulfilling his contract, you cannot help but like the big lug.

Interesting to see Venom get revenge on a tied up Snake Eyes, leave him for dead, and then correctly deduce that he is still alive. For some reason though he ends up relying too much on the island's defenses. Snake Eyes had already beaten death twice since he met him, but I guess he felt there were more pressing matters. I am not a big Vosburg fan, but the two panels of Gung-Ho breaking free of the ropes and then taking out the guards were very well done. Of course after praising him, I am going to tear him down a bit with his depiction of the island. It seems to me that from Baroness' comment - "Kwinn will stay on the island with Dr. Venom ferret out that insufferable Snake-Eyes!" - it would seem the island was supposed to be bigger than it was. From the art, there really is no place to hide, other than the other side of the bunker. Kwinn and Venom could have swept that in about 5 seconds. It also would seem to me that Snake Eyes would have been better off neutralizing the plane after sending his buddies off on the boat as it would be the only way off the island. If he succeeds, they can come back and pick him up, if he doesn't there isn't a way for COBRA to get off the island without exposing themselves to the Joes. Oh well, sometimes you just gotta tell the story. I will admit, that was one helluva cliffhanger at the end of #12. A shame again I never got to enjoy it.

The next issue though started off with a few groaners. First, while I appreciate Mr. Hama providing some good information about the indigenous reptiles, I just can't see a man being able to provide that kind of detail while wrestling with a croc. Would have made more sense if Stalker would have spouted all that out when he emerged from the water, while still on the adrenaline kick, before passing out. The next groan was the fire. I didn't have a problem with it when I read through it as a youngster, but once I went through boot camp I sure did. I can understand if Breaker built it himself after Gung-Ho left, being a simple soldier, but Mr. Hama made Gung-Ho out to be one of the stupidest Marines in the history of the Corps for doing that. Personally, I chose to believe that Breaker lied and said Gung-Ho did it to deflect the blame from himself.

Thankfully the rest of the issue was strong enough that those two things didn't end up bugging me. Too much. Another great teaching moment as Stalker gives us a lesson on how to properly defend a position. More of Gung-Ho being Gung-Ho. While I liked the scene of Hawk throwing a team together and the introduction of Torpedo (who was vastly underused in this series, although SEALs didn't nearly get the recognition back then as they do now), Scarlett's face upon learning Snake Eyes' fate was uncertain was just...weird. Same thing when she is deploying from the C-130. Vosburg's attention to detail was very hit and miss during his run.

I will admit that reading through CC's explanation of the true mission left me scratching my head this time around, which is a good thing as it means I am genuinely interested to see how this whole thing plays out. I know they were leading the Joes to find the micro dot, which I remember how that plays out, but the diversion from the research station hasn't clicked in my brain yet. Despite a few complaints, this story continued to be very enjoyable and I hadn't even gotten to the Joe's exfiltration yet.

Speaking of which, how impressive is that entire scene? The Joes securing the airfield and then defending it while the others worked their way there. Then they made their escape driving up the ramp of the C-130. That's tough. That's also a tactic that the Joes would perform again a few times years later. Then, as it was last issue, Mr. Hama dropped a doozy on us with the last few panels showing the sunken bunker and tapping from inside. If any of you picked up that issue when it first came out would share your thoughts on these two cliffhangers, I would really enjoy reading about it. Did you ever question whether or not Snake Eyes, Kwinn, and Venom actually survived? I read #14 long before these two issues so I knew they survived, although I wouldn't know the circumstances of them being in the bunker until a year or so later.

Again, these two issues were a great intro into what would come over the next few months. While these issues definitely were the beginning of what we like to term the "Golden Age" of the Marvel run, personally it wouldn't be until the most iconic issue ever came out when things really started taking off. For me anyway.

Next up is #14, my second issue.

so, you REALLY think breaker lied to, maybe haze the newbie joe a little?

possible, hope gung ho never found out
jackharkness
Forum Zombie

Postby ER » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:10 pm

Read #11 yesterday!

First read this when Tales of GI Joe #11 came out. Great, great issue. It's funny - even though I read this after the fact, I can still somehow pick up on the excitement that readers must have felt back in '83 at seeing the new additions to the toy line being featured for the first time. And Hasbro really outdid themselves on the '83 toys - a huge improvement over the original '82 toys - Hasbro must have been chomping at the bit for Larry to introduce them as soon as possible.

That would be cool if Hasbro someday makes a HISS how they are drawn in these early issues with seats for two drivers.

Hawk's line about SE always coming back is a great set-up for the next issue when SE coming back is put into serious question.

Love seeing Wild Bill as a cowboy-style gunslinger! That would be cool if we see him doing some more quick-draws in the current ARAH issues.
ER
Transforumer

Postby Torpedo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:52 pm

"They were the three most cunning and dangerous men I've ever met."

I remember reading that quote from the Baroness in issue #13 as a kid and thinking, Really, she put Dr. Venom on that list with Snake Eyes and Kwinn? Of course, before long, I would wholeheartedly agree with her assessment of this dynamic trio.

G.I. Joe had featured a multi-part story in issues #5-6, with the introduction of the Oktober Guard, but issue #12 was the beginning of the first real saga in G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero. After a short hiatus, Larry Hama returned to the book with issue #10 and you could feel the rejuvenated energy he brought with him. I get the impression that Larry gave himself two issues to lay the foundation, introduce major new characters and ideas, before he really cut loose and went big! The saga told from #12 to #19 is epic. It feels like a sophomore season stepping up to define itself. As I reread these adventures in the Classics trade paperback, I'm hard pressed to think of a story arc I enjoy more than this saga--and at the heart of it, those three most cunning and dangerous men!

I didn't read "Three Strikes for Snake Eyes" when it first came out. In fact, I learned about the events in the story from an issue of G.I. Joe: Yearbook probably a year before I got to read these issues. Still, even reading it today, it feels fresh and energetic and bold.

There aren't a whole lot of comics that can pull of a thrilling car chase in still images and panels. Mike Vosburg's art could look rough at times, even crude at others, but the panels he constructs for the chase in the first five pages of #12 do a yeoman's job of moving fast and creating tension for the pedestrians threatened by speeding army jeeps and stray bullets.

We meet the sinister Scar-face, a notable Cobra officer whose role as MacGuffin will drive this story for the next eight issues. We take our first trip south to Sierra Gordo and its capital, Rio Lindo, each of which will prove staples of the series as it progresses. We also get another first: Joes in civvies! Had we seen the Joes out of uniform up to this point? I couldn't think of anytime, and I still smile when I think of Stalker in that suit and Breaker in his bermuda shorts, still popping that gum.

Again, I get the sense that Larry was writing this story arc with a kind of energy and urgency he'd not felt on the first five issues. After opening with a shooting car chase, Larry drops two more big surprises on us in quick succession. The return of Dr. Venom, and the return of Kwinn the Eskimo. What I love about this issue is we see that Snake Eyes isn't the ultimate ninja god perfectly aware of every microscopic detail of his surroundings. He sees Dr. Venom and instantly breaks cover and rushes into the warehouse. Sure, he was trying to save Stalker and Breaker from an ambush, but I get the sense it was almost a primal reaction to get back at Venom from the events of issue #10. Next to that, Snake Eyes doesn't seem to realize when his uzi has run out of bullets; Kwinn has to point it out to him.

There's some more we learn about Snake Eyes in issue #12. We've seen him do some pretty badass things in issues #2, #4, and #10, but this time... Dude, I think this is the issue where Snake Eyes really becomes the Wolverine of the team. After faking his death (again) and running out of a burning warehouse to the horror of spectators, after swimming who knows how far in crocodile-infested river water seeping into his charred skin, after taking out Cobra sentries--after all that, he orders Stalker, Breaker and Gung Ho to get out while he takes care of his $#@%. I remember reading this and thinking, He's just doing G.I. Joe a favor hanging out with them; Snake Eyes doesn't need help from any of these people.

Larry Hama's greatest contribution to the series, other than the characters, in my opinion, is the three-way interplay of Snake Eyes, Kwinn and Venom. They're all such great foils for each other. It really does hinge on Kwinn, the mercenary who will work for Cobra up to a point, but who is still honorable enough to gut Venom like a trout when the latter tries to betray him. Kwinn's professional respect for Snake Eyes is unmistakable, but they are by no means allies. And Venom, man, Venom wants to kill everyone! How can you not love a villain who is so serious in his villainy. Destro, Baroness, even Cobra Commander have their noble moments, but Dr. Venom? Not a shred. Of course these three had to end up trapped together! And that, as I said, lies at the heart of this awesome G.I. Joe epic, but I've only just covered the first chapter.
Torpedo
Transforumer

Postby Torpedo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:54 pm

"You're not laughing... Aren't you entertained?"

It's not the greatest line Gung Ho ever delivers but it's one that I think of, and it's his whole arc in "Last Plane from Rio Lindo" in issue #13 that stand out. There are a lot of things happening in this issue--great things--but I think it's Gung Ho who stands out. For better or worse, it feels like once Larry got to uncork this new Marine, he forgot all about Zap and Short Fuse and the others. For three issues in a row, Gung Ho has had some major page time and this issue cranks it up when we get to see him alone, huffing it out of the jungle, catching a ride on a pig truck, busting up the corrupt policia and securing transportation for their escape.

When Breaker told Stalker that Gung Ho went into town to call for backup, I wondered why Breaker didn't do that, given that he's the communications specialist. By the end of the issue, though, it made a lot of sense. Hard to imagine Breaker--and I love him--but it's hard to imagine him dispensing with the cops in such cold and efficient manner.

Gung Ho is my second favorite G.I. Joe. Has been for years. To me, Gung Ho is quintessential G.I. Joe. You can put him in almost any squad, any lineup and he makes sense. You need heavy weapons and demolitions? Gung Ho matches up with Roadblock and Rock n' Roll any day? You need a recon jungle team? Gung Ho was recondo before Recondo! You need a covert ninja team? Hmm... You know what, Gung Ho with a katana is twice as scary as Storm Shadow!

For as much as it showcases GH, issue #13 also happened to introduce my first favorite G.I. Joe. I'll be completely candid here: I have no idea why Torpedo is my favorite character. Remember, I fell in love with G.I. Joe from the toys and the cartoons. I never liked the first Torpedo action figure all that much. His head was disproportionately long and if you weren't playing in a bathtub he just looked out of place. (Note: the 25th Anniversary figure is awesome!) He also didn't do much in the cartoon; he had a couple of weirdly-funny lines ("Hang tight, Cutter-baby, I just got a mean idea."), but he was pretty easy to forget.

I certainly shouldn't have grown so fond of him from this first issue. His first appearance is an overhead shot in a locker room that is blindingly difficult to look at because of the pink and white checkerboard floor that is nine different kinds of wrong. They give him a suitable purpose, diving into the river, possibly seconds away from discovering if Snake Eyes, Kwinn or Dr. Venom had survived, but he's pulled away. He doesn't do much to impress in this issue. He has a few better moments later on, and a lot of them make my list of favorite issues, but c'mon, he's Torpedo. He's the guy in the scuba suit when everyone else gets bitchin' camouflage and jumpsuits.

I discovered what the Navy SEALs are and do before they demonstrated to the world by dispatching a couple of uncooperative Somali pirates. When I figured it out, I kept asking, oh man, why didn't Torpedo do that? Why didn't he look like that? I guess my preference for the character owes more to hero-worship respect of the SEALs and the idea of what the character could/should be than what he's actually done in the comics or cartoon (or toy). Then again, it's G.I. Joe. There are three hundred heroes and villains and somewhere out there is probably a guy whose favorite is Hardball.

Larry Hama got his education on in issue #13, and I'm not just talking about the proper biological filing for South American crocodiles. You can tell how excited Hama was to explain the intricacies of defending a position with trenches, concertina wire, the whole thing. He does this a lot and you can tell he loves it, he loves showing off his military past and training by schooling the uninitiated on basic combat and survival tactics.

Where the script got a little wonky, though, is in its explanation of Cobra Commander's scheme. If you can follow what Scar-Face was supposed to be doing in these two issues, what Baroness thought he was doing, why the Commander thought he was doing, and what Destro implies he might have been doing it for, well, you're smarter than me, because I've read this issue several times and I still can't follow what the hell was going on with the cobras. I think it all made sense to Larry, but got rewritten a couple times to make events in later issues play out more logically. Perhaps.

The last thing I'll say about this issue is the incredible climax with Scarlett driving the taxi full of seven other Joes (!) into the yawning hold of Hawk's C-130 for escape. Vosburg might not have been a really great artist; his command of anatomy might seem silly at times, mean-spirited at others (like when he draws Scarlett crying). but the guy could pull off some of these action scenes damn well. Maybe the idea and the scope of the action pieces and chases outdistanced the actual presentation, but they looked good and this was sooo much fun to re-read. I can't wait to read the next two, and the next four after that!
Last edited by Torpedo on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Torpedo
Transforumer

Postby jackharkness » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:02 am

hardball? HARDBALL!?? next, you'll be saying that big lob (sheesh, who'd want THAT big mouth on an infiltration squad) has a fan
jackharkness
Forum Zombie

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:09 am

Torpedo wrote:"You're not laughing... Aren't you entertained?"
Gung Ho is my second favorite G.I. Joe. Has been for years. To me, Gung Ho is quintessential G.I. Joe. You can put him in almost any squad, any lineup and he makes sense. You need heavy weapons and demolitions? Gung Ho matches up with Roadblock and Rock n' Roll any day? You need a recon jungle team? Gung Ho was recondo before Recondo! You need a covert ninja team? Hmm... You know what, Gung Ho with a katana is twice as scary as Storm Shadow!

While I don't know that he would be more scary than SS with a sword, he does fit into any squad. I put him in just about all of my squads as a kid. And he is one of my favorites too. Despite that I did put him in the Village people YMCA picture with Wild Bill, Shipwreck, Spirit...I know wrong, wrong wrong, but funny.

For as much as it showcases GH, issue #13 also happened to introduce my first favorite G.I. Joe. I'll be completely candid here: I have no idea why Torpedo is my favorite character. Remember, I fell in love with G.I. Joe from the toys and the cartoons. I never liked the first Torpedo action figure all that much. His head was disproportionately long and if you weren't playing in a bathtub he just looked out of place. (Note: the 25th Anniversary figure is awesome!) He also didn't do much in the cartoon; he had a couple of weirdly-funny lines ("Hang tight, Cutter-baby, I just got a mean idea."), but he was pretty easy to forget.

I loved torpedo as a character mostly from the Sunbow Cartoon. I was pissed when they brought in Wet Suit, but I liked the toy a little better. I knew SEAL's as a kid and loved the idea of having one on the team. The original figure was very limited and very feminine looking to me. The 25th anniversary figure is awesome, and the 25th anniversary Sea command Torpedo looked like all the other Joe's did when they put on Wet suits in the the cartoon. http://www.yojoe.com/action/08/agu/lttorpedo2.shtml

With the new figures I can swap heads and put any Joe in a wet suit to go on a mission with Torpedo now. The Mission Brazilian II set, Wet Suit looks like the way that I have viewed SEAL's for a long time. With a whole bunch of knives some assault rifles a boonie and some flippers that attach on his backpack. http://www.yojoe.com/action/11/agu/wetsuit12.shtml

I do agree with you that Act of Valor looks to be the ultimate SEAL movie or even the real live G.I. Joe movie. http://www.actofvalor.com/
I remember seeing that trailer this summer sometime, but it is getting closer and I can't wait.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby Torpedo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:43 am

Mamu_Nestor wrote:Image

Now THAT is a toy photo that should have made the cover in December!!!

The Mission Brazilian II set, Wet Suit looks like the way that I have viewed SEAL's for a long time. With a whole bunch of knives some assault rifles a boonie and some flippers that attach on his backpack. http://www.yojoe.com/action/11/agu/wetsuit12.shtml

Yeah, I always wanted a Torpedo/Wet Suit two-pack based on their story in G.I. Joe: Yearbook #4 when they infiltrate Cobra Island.
Last edited by Torpedo on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Torpedo
Transforumer

Postby shanecdavis » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:19 am

jackharkness wrote:so, you REALLY think breaker lied to, maybe haze the newbie joe a little?

possible, hope gung ho never found out

Gung-Ho was an E-7 (GUNNERY Sergeant, not Sergeant like it shows on his filecard which is actually an E-5) in the Marine Corps. There is NO WAY he wouldn't know better than to build a fire in that situation. We learn that in boot camp, then in MCT, then in SOI, and then it's drilled in your brain housing group by your unit. On top of that Gung-Ho was Recon, which is the Marine equivalent of a SEAL. The only possible way Gung-Ho would have agreed to build a fire was if the area was secure, which it definitely wasn't. Breaker though, being basic Army infantry and Comm expert, I can definitely see him thinking it was okay to do so, after Gung-Ho had left.

Torpedo - I really enjoyed reading your insights. Personally, I'm a little ashamed because Gung-Ho is my favorite Joe and I didn't give him the proper recognition of what he did in these two issues like you did. That quote of his is also one of my favorites, yet I failed to express that. That is what I am loving about this idea ER came up with. We get to relive past memories and read about others that may jog other memories or make us look at things differently. Big thanks to you, ER.

It really was a shame that Mr. Hama didn't utilize Torpedo better. There is an issue coming up that just makes me cringe every time I see it. I mean look at his filecard:

http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/83/torpedo.shtml

He was a CWO in the SEALs. That is badass. In today's world he would have headed the DEVGRU team that took out Bin Laden. I guess I can understand that SEALs were new back in 1983 (formerly UDT), so I should give Mr. Hama a break, but still, it's hard to see this character relegated to a wet suit in most of his early appearances. Like Gung-Ho, Torpedo (and later Wet-Suit) would have been versatile enough to be included on most teams. At least Mr. Hama did give Torpedo his due in #49 when he added him to the Assault team, and had him in cammies.

BTW - Mamu, that Wet-Suit figure is AWESOME! Finally, Hasbro got it right!!
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby Torpedo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:17 am

shanecdavis wrote:At least Mr. Hama did give Torpedo his due in #49 when he added him to the Assault team, and had him in cammies.

Unfortunately, Hama forgot about that by issue #50, when he shows the Assault team under fire and Torpedo is nowhere to be seen.
Torpedo
Transforumer

Postby Torpedo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:21 am

Mamu_Nestor wrote:While I don't know that he would be more scary than SS with a sword, he does fit into any squad.

I still say a wild, shirtless, shaven Marine with a French-Cajun accent and a samurai sword is every bit as unnerving as an actual ninja.
Torpedo
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to G.I. Joe