Doctor Who/Star Trek Crossover?

Here's the place to talk Doctors One through Eleven!

Moderators: Bobby Curnow, Denton J. Tipton, Mariah

Postby DanielW » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:58 pm

there have been some whispers coming from anonymous sources saying that the Who comics from IDW have been cancelled, this is clearly not the case, however it could be a misunderstanding of IDW putting the ongoing on hiatus while Assimiliation2 is being released.
Image
User avatar
DanielW
Transforumer
 
Posts: 10397
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: The Village

Postby FDrowned » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:33 am

DanielW wrote:the Who comics from IDW have been cancelled


They better not be :x

Mind you, the first IDW ongoing went on hiatus for 2 months after it's conclusion
User avatar
FDrowned
Transforumer
 
Posts: 5089
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:28 am

Postby Darth Bombshell » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:35 am

FDrowned wrote:Mind you, the first IDW ongoing went on hiatus for 2 months after it's conclusion


Only because, at the time, Tennant had just left and they figured it would be a good idea to wait until January to start with Matt Smith stories.
Everything I say is OK To Print, Even the Bad Stuff.
"The ongoing had Spike. What need have it of interesting character driven moments between the robots?" = Urzu Six
"And lo, Jesus said unto the moneylenders, 'Give me your face!'" = Kirjava
Darth Bombshell
Transforumer
 
Posts: 989
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:12 pm
Location: Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada.

Postby FDrowned » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:37 pm

Darth Bombshell wrote:
FDrowned wrote:Mind you, the first IDW ongoing went on hiatus for 2 months after it's conclusion


Only because, at the time, Tennant had just left and they figured it would be a good idea to wait until January to start with Matt Smith stories.


Maybe, the next batch features the new companion or is missing Amy/Rory and they want to put the book on hiatus until the tv show comes back
User avatar
FDrowned
Transforumer
 
Posts: 5089
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:28 am

Postby Cygnia » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:20 am

Back to the crossover, I am curious about one thing. The TV reboot has namechecked Mr. Spock already (Rose referring to Nine by that name to Jack). So Trek is pop culture in the Whoniverse. How are they going to explain Trek now being "reality" if their universes are now one and the same?
User avatar
Cygnia
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:53 pm

Postby DanielW » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:03 pm

There is a precident of sorts for something being both fiction and reality in Who - Blake's 7 is both a TV show (Tegan's seen it, it's why a he's familiar with te idea of teleportation in the book Cold fuaion) and Benny Summerfiled once dated someone who was related to someone in Blake's Seven (the terroriat group, not the TV show).

Now, what Rose said was "give me some Spock"'' nothing to suggest that they didn't meet Spock the other week and Rose has been digging at the doctor for not being alien/scientific enough since.
Image
User avatar
DanielW
Transforumer
 
Posts: 10397
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: The Village

Postby Victory63 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:31 pm

DanielW wrote:There is a precident of sorts for something being both fiction and reality in Who - Blake's 7 is both a TV show (Tegan's seen it, it's why a he's familiar with te idea of teleportation in the book Cold fuaion) and Benny Summerfiled once dated someone who was related to someone in Blake's Seven (the terroriat group, not the TV show).

Now, what Rose said was "give me some Spock"'' nothing to suggest that they didn't meet Spock the other week and Rose has been digging at the doctor for not being alien/scientific enough since.


The general assumption is that with any crossover involving two franchises is non-canon so there really isn't much to worry about.

Even though the Doctor Who team or the BBC don't have a strict policy when it comes to canon, I think in this case we can definately say that the Star Trek/Doctor Who crossover is non-canon but then again, that's just my opinion.
Victory63
Private
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:54 pm

Postby Cattleprod » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:13 pm

Cygnia wrote:Back to the crossover, I am curious about one thing. The TV reboot has namechecked Mr. Spock already (Rose referring to Nine by that name to Jack). So Trek is pop culture in the Whoniverse. How are they going to explain Trek now being "reality" if their universes are now one and the same?


Consider this: EastEnders is a fictional TV show in the Doctor Who universe. A character on EastEnders has attended a Doctor Who fan convention.

Tying this into Star Trek, this is the kind of logic bomb Kirk kills computers with.
User avatar
Cattleprod
Transforumer
 
Posts: 4147
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:54 am
Location: The vast wastelands of Canada

Postby PaulHanley » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:47 am

DanielW wrote:There is a precident of sorts for something being both fiction and reality in Who - Blake's 7 is both a TV show (Tegan's seen it, it's why a he's familiar with te idea of teleportation in the book Cold fuaion) and Benny Summerfiled once dated someone who was related to someone in Blake's Seven (the terroriat group, not the TV show).

Now, what Rose said was "give me some Spock"'' nothing to suggest that they didn't meet Spock the other week and Rose has been digging at the doctor for not being alien/scientific enough since.


Well, as far as Blake's 7 goes- the books, audios, etc contradict each other even when staying inside the Whoniverse. I just chalk it up to aftershocks from the Time War, timelines being rewritten, etc. So maybe Blake's 7 was fictional until it wasn't (or vice versa). Or maybe Terry Nation traveled with the Doctor for a while and decided to make a fast buck off of some of the things he'd seen, H.G. Wells-style. ;)

As for Trek- I'm betting there'll be some cross-universe action involved. If there's an infinite number of alternate universes, theoretically one of them must be a place where Trek is real. I don't know if this series will get that far-out, with Rory and Amy running around in a living version of a TV show they probably know backawards and forwards... but uit could be fun. Amy: "C'mon Science Boy, you can regenerate dilithium with radiation from a fission reactor! You should know this sort of stuff!" Doctor: "PAH! That's ridiculous, Pond. I've never heard anything so-" Geordi: "Ummm... actually, you can. That's first-year Academy stuff. What did you say you're a Doctor of, again???"
PaulHanley
Red Shirt
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:29 am
Location: Austin, TX

Postby DanielW » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:42 am

I'd love the Doctor's catchphrase for the miniseries "but that makes NO SENSE!" and throwing his arms in the arm. Then he gets assimilated and promptly unassimilated because he makes no sense to them.
Image
User avatar
DanielW
Transforumer
 
Posts: 10397
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: The Village

Postby Cygnia » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:43 am

Well, they've already had TARDIS cameos in the LOSH/ST:TOS crossover with all those various captured time machines, so I'm wondering if that too is going to be referenced to in any way come TNG. ;)
User avatar
Cygnia
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:53 pm

Postby FDrowned » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:54 pm

Cattleprod wrote:
Cygnia wrote:Back to the crossover, I am curious about one thing. The TV reboot has namechecked Mr. Spock already (Rose referring to Nine by that name to Jack). So Trek is pop culture in the Whoniverse. How are they going to explain Trek now being "reality" if their universes are now one and the same?


Consider this: EastEnders is a fictional TV show in the Doctor Who universe. A character on EastEnders has attended a Doctor Who fan convention.

Tying this into Star Trek, this is the kind of logic bomb Kirk kills computers with.


Plus, in Army of Ghosts the Doctor watches a scene of EastEnders on TV before going on to meet Yvonne Hartman, played by Tracy-Ann Oberman, who less than 6 months before had played Chrissie Watts in EastEnders.

Never mind the guy who played Ash
User avatar
FDrowned
Transforumer
 
Posts: 5089
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:28 am

Postby Victory63 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:37 pm

FDrowned wrote:
Cattleprod wrote:
Cygnia wrote:Back to the crossover, I am curious about one thing. The TV reboot has namechecked Mr. Spock already (Rose referring to Nine by that name to Jack). So Trek is pop culture in the Whoniverse. How are they going to explain Trek now being "reality" if their universes are now one and the same?


Consider this: EastEnders is a fictional TV show in the Doctor Who universe. A character on EastEnders has attended a Doctor Who fan convention.

Tying this into Star Trek, this is the kind of logic bomb Kirk kills computers with.


Plus, in Army of Ghosts the Doctor watches a scene of EastEnders on TV before going on to meet Yvonne Hartman, played by Tracy-Ann Oberman, who less than 6 months before had played Chrissie Watts in EastEnders.

Never mind the guy who played Ash


Like I mentioned before in my post:

Victory63 wrote:The general assumption is that with any crossover involving two franchises is non-canon so there really isn't much to worry about.

Even though the Doctor Who team or the BBC don't have a strict policy when it comes to canon, I think in this case we can definately say that the Star Trek/Doctor Who crossover is non-canon but then again, that's just my opinion.
Victory63
Private
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:54 pm

Postby Cygnia » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:10 pm

Of course, there's always cynics... :twisted: (this was back in '04)

Image
User avatar
Cygnia
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:53 pm

Postby Gryphon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Thats awesome.
Gryphon
Forum Zombie
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests