Transformers: The Video Games

Transformers is here! Discuss anything TF-related.

Moderators: ladywreck, tronprogram, bassbot, Ryall, JohnBarber, Cattleprod, CarlosG86

Transformers: The Video Games

Postby CyclonusArmada » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:42 am

My first Transformers game outside of the toys was Beast Wars (shocking I know) for the Playstation. While I personally loved it and still do in a guilty pleasure kind of way, to look at it subjectively now it would have been a great game.. if it were finished. No actual cast members lent their vocals to the game (bad sign number one) and it was released prior to review in some circles (bad sign number two) yet the general ideas and concepts were sound.
One problem I had with the show after playing the game is the War part of Beast Wars. In the game the war has become entrenched, with territory taken and defended by individuals. Now the show never ventured into these aspects of war, with most skirmishes consisting of a battle before both sides ran back to their ships, leaving the rest of the planet empty (Taratulas had a lair or two but you get the idea) which is not really how a war for an energy source or planetary conquest would be fought. But I digress.

Since this time I have played several Transformers titles: from the accomplished [inspite of being Armada related] Transformers on PS2 to the recently glorious War for Cybertron. Anyone else?
CyclonusArmada
Transforumer

Postby Kirjava » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:58 am

The Armada game was solid, even if I wasn't familiar with the continuity, but I got as far as fighting Tidal Wave and got stuck. Couldn't figure out how to get over to him...
Kirjava
Transforumer

Postby FDrowned » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:04 pm

FDrowned
Transforumer

Postby CyclonusArmada » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:06 pm

Yeah I only knew the Armada designs and the minicon thing, never really took an interest in the Unicron Trilogy. The Tidal Wave fight was awesome, really as close as we've gotten so far to a Gestalt battle and he was probably one of the longest boss fights in the game thanks to the tiny islands you had to navigate to fight him.

Megatron (The final Earth based boss, naturally) was actually a little broken. You fought him in a volcano on a cross shaped platform above the solid volcano crust and he could (and often did) pick you up and throw you or just blast you outright with his cannon. However if you jumped down onto the crust you could actually shoot him through the floor :P It was quite suicidal to fight him directly in Tank mode after all, given the games brutal difficulty settings.
CyclonusArmada
Transforumer

Postby Kirjava » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:09 pm

So how DID you get over to TW?
Kirjava
Transforumer

Postby CyclonusArmada » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:11 pm

Kirjava wrote:So how DID you get over to TW?

One of the minicons was a glider which you used to get to the highest peaks of the islands, where you just spam Tidal Wave with Lasers and Missiles. The aim is actually to keep your distance from him at all costs.
CyclonusArmada
Transforumer

Postby Kirjava » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:14 pm

Oh, I was trying to actually land on him. Whoops!
Kirjava
Transforumer

Postby CyclonusArmada » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:15 pm

I like how the game was never 100% clear on the strategies you were supposed to use on the bosses. The first Starscream fight comes to mind personally.
CyclonusArmada
Transforumer

Postby Iacon_Pax » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:47 pm

Never played any when I was a kid, but with my kids I played the first live-action movie game for Xbox 360 (which I got about 95% of the way through before getting bored), the Revenge of the Fallen for Xbox 360 (seemed like a MUCH better game, with cooler use of transformations as part of the game and attack strategies), but I got busy with work shortly after getting the DLC and haven't been back since.

I picked up War for Cybertron on both PC and Xbox 360 about a month ago and absolutely love it.

Just preordered Fall of Cybertron at Gamestop yesterday.
Iacon_Pax
Transforumer

Postby CyclonusArmada » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:48 pm

Ever played, or even heard of This?
CyclonusArmada
Transforumer

Postby Iacon_Pax » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:59 pm

CyclonusArmada wrote:Ever played, or even heard of This?

Found a copy of it online a couple months ago, but haven't played it.
Iacon_Pax
Transforumer

Postby bassbot » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:27 pm

I also played the Beast Wars game on playstation, and the First two movie games we ok.
War for Cybertron was fun, a little repetitive, but the multiplayer was great. I traded it in after six months but it was on sale last weekend so I've bought it again to give it a whirl before Fall of Cybertron!
Twitter: @lukeabarnett
Lukeabarnett writes on tumblr
bassbot
Transforumer

Postby HdE » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:00 pm

Funny thing - I'm not a gamer at all. But I recall buying a second-hand Playstation 2 waaaayyy back when things were Not So Great for me, as a way to take up my time and keep my mind off bad juju.

The Armada game was bundled with it, and was one of a few things that got me back into the TF fold. I played it to death, fell completely in love with the characters and wanted MOAR.

It's just all YOUR bad luck that I decided to get moar by picking up the comics!
I letter comics. Quite a bit.

HdE
Transforumer

Postby Danforth » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:26 pm

See you and raise...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyp90bQDQdI

I was less than impressed, even in '85 or whenever the hell it was :)
Obsessively makes Amazon lists of IDW TF books even though he's switched to singles, the weirdo
Trades part one and part two, plus compilations and hardcovers.
Danforth
Transforumer

Postby Josh » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:46 am

lesseeee

the TF games i currently own are

-Beast Wars PSX [decent game i suppose, for what it is. i got it cuz its beast wars and i remember as a kid renting it like every weekend from the video store. :P Really do wish it woulda used the shows voice actors tho, heh]

-TF:Armada PS2 [good game! obviously its own take on the continuity, which is nifty. (i much prefer it to the mess that was the cartoon :P) i do kinda wish the developers would have had a shot at the sequel they were hoping to do cuz from what little i remember, it was gonna be awesome]

-TF:Tatakai PS2 [which is that G1 game. Its fun, but only cuz its Transformers. Its a bit of a dynasty warriors take on Transformers, which would be fun, but the controls were a bit clunky. i DO love me them japanese styled transformers though. they look so awesome <3]

-Transformers 07 Movie Game xbox360 [its...okay :P i dont hate it like some other people do, it can be fun. but its certainly not the greatest game in the world]

-Transformers ROTF xbox360 [i love this game. the campaign is alright, i actually like it a bit better than the actual movie lol. mix and match what goes on in both and ROTF coulda been pretty alright i think haha. But yeah. This is a great game. I love the controls. very fast paced. online multiplayer is fun, tho it needed better maps. Heck i'm still up for playin it online if anybody ever wants to!]

-Transformers War for Cybertron xbox360 [I'm really torn between this and ROTF as the best TF games. i really do like ROTF for its unique controls. very tailored to transformers. But the time-tested stanard for 3rd person shooter controls in WFC do make for an enjoyable game. Plus G1 nostalgia all up in there. That and wow, we get to actually go and see cybertron in a way we hadnt really before. Strip away the transformers element and you'll have just another gears of war rip-off, but its the transformery setting that really pushes it up a notch. I really am looking forward to Fall of Cybertron, and seeing where they've developed things]

I've also played the Beast Wars: Transmetals fighting game for PSX. It was fun. Im surprised I dont still own it actually. I used to. I wonder what happened to it. hmm... guess ill have to track one down on ebay sometime :D
Josh
Transforumer

Next

Return to Transformers