Official Transformers: Autocracy Thread! *SPOILERISH*

Transformers is here! Discuss anything TF-related.

Moderators: ladywreck, tronprogram, bassbot, Ryall, JohnBarber, Cattleprod, CarlosG86

Official Transformers: Autocracy Thread! *SPOILERISH*

Postby LivioRamondelli » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Hi everyone!

Transformers: Autocracy will be ramping up shortly, so I wanted to create a hub where we can chat about the series as it's going. So far the plan is that this will be the only thread I'll be checking on a regular basis, so if you've got any questions or comments for me about the series or Transformers in general, post them here! The great LadyWreck will be moderating for us.

Also, it's looking likely that I'll be able to get Autocracy writers Flint Dille and Chris Metzen in here to answer questions later on, so let's keep things fun and friendly all around! Trust me, getting a chance to chat with these two will be an amazing experience.

While we're waiting for the series to begin, feel free to ask any lingering "Chaos" questions of me, or whatever you feel like chatting about!

I'm really looking forward to the series, and I hope you guys all dig it!

-Livio
LivioRamondelli
Forum Zombie

Postby bassbot » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:47 pm

Awesome idea Livio! Thanks for kick-starting the discussion!
I know a few people have been discussing this and are eager to know ANY details IDW have for this.

I have a question, has the digital aspect freed you up or hindered you in any way? Or is the future prospect of a print version keeping this comic pretty straight laced even though it's gonna be digital first (or only?)?
Twitter: @lukeabarnett
Lukeabarnett writes on tumblr
bassbot
Transforumer

Postby Torpedo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:54 pm

This is terrific. I've been excited for this series ever since the announcement at SDCC. That excitement doubled after I saw your work on "Chaos".

From what we heard half a year ago, Autocracy was planned as a digital-only series, with each chapter running about eight to twelve pages long. Is that still the case?

We were also told the series would be taking place either before the Autobot/Decepticon war, or during the very early stages of the war, roughly in the Megatron: Origin/"Chaos Theory" era. Is that still the case?

Hopefully this doesn't spoil anything major, but is the cast of characters familiar to Transformers fans or have you been illustrating a mostly new or untapped cast?

Who is your favorite character to draw?

Are you doing your own colors for this series?

Finally, do we have a set release date or month for the series yet?
Torpedo
Transforumer

Postby LivioRamondelli » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:05 pm

bassbot wrote:Awesome idea Livio! Thanks for kick-starting the discussion!
I know a few people have been discussing this and are eager to know ANY details IDW have for this.

I have a question, has the digital aspect freed you up or hindered you in any way? Or is the future prospect of a print version keeping this comic pretty straight laced even though it's gonna be digital first (or only?)?

Thanks for starting us off! I'm really excited about this.

The digital aspects of Autocracy haven't hindered us at all! We really are setting out to tell a great story first, and the medium is really secondary to that. So the storytelling will certainly read like a traditional comic, with familiar page layouts,etc. There won't be any distracting new elements to pull you out of the series.
LivioRamondelli
Forum Zombie

Postby LivioRamondelli » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:10 pm

Torpedo wrote:This is terrific. I've been excited for this series ever since the announcement at SDCC. That excitement doubled after I saw your work on "Chaos".

From what we heard half a year ago, Autocracy was planned as a digital-only series, with each chapter running about eight to twelve pages long. Is that still the case?

We were also told the series would be taking place either before the Autobot/Decepticon war, or during the very early stages of the war, roughly in the Megatron: Origin/"Chaos Theory" era. Is that still the case?

Hopefully this doesn't spoil anything major, but is the cast of characters familiar to Transformers fans or have you been illustrating a mostly new or untapped cast?

Who is your favorite character to draw?

Are you doing your own colors for this series?

Finally, do we have a set release date or month for the series yet?

Thanks for the kind words! That means a lot.

Autocracy is indeed set during the "Chaos Theory/early war" era. The cast of characters will absolutely be familiar to readers. Believe me, you're getting some major characters with major screentime. For me, personally, one of the highlights has been getting to draw many more Decepticons ( As "Chaos" was a more Autobot-heavy story).

My favorite character to draw is still Optimus Prime. But I have so many favorites beyond that, most of whom appear in Autocracy ( to tease things a bit!) And yep, I will be doing my own colors.

We do have a release date..there will be a big announcement very shortly.
LivioRamondelli
Forum Zombie

Postby Torpedo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:40 pm

Thanks for the quick answers! Just to clarify: Is each chapter/installment shorter than average, or is it 20-22 pages?
Torpedo
Transforumer

Postby bassbot » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:52 pm

I remember Livio being interviewed on the Underbase podcast and I think each issue is akin to half a Print issue? I hope we find out soon, really excited for this. Great to have Optimus in this book as he heads into outer space in the ongoings.
bassbot
Transforumer

Postby xtro guyver » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:55 pm

really glad this will be taking place in the megatron orgin/chaos theory era, that time period is ripe with untapped story potential
xtro guyver
Transforumer

Postby Torpedo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:56 pm

bassbot wrote:I remember Livio being interviewed on the Underbase podcast and I think each issue is akin to half a Print issue? I hope we find out soon, really excited for this. Great to have Optimus in this book as he heads into outer space in the ongoings.

Yeah, Autocracy and Regeneration One continuation should fill the Optimus Prime quotient while Barberts explores a universe without Optimus and Megatron.
Torpedo
Transforumer

Postby LivioRamondelli » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:09 pm

Torpedo wrote:Thanks for the quick answers! Just to clarify: Is each chapter/installment shorter than average, or is it 20-22 pages?

I have to wait on revealing details like this ( sorry about that), but you'll get your answer to this very soon.
LivioRamondelli
Forum Zombie

Postby LivioRamondelli » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:11 pm

Torpedo wrote:
bassbot wrote:I remember Livio being interviewed on the Underbase podcast and I think each issue is akin to half a Print issue? I hope we find out soon, really excited for this. Great to have Optimus in this book as he heads into outer space in the ongoings.

Yeah, Autocracy and Regeneration One continuation should fill the Optimus Prime quotient while Barberts explores a universe without Optimus and Megatron.

That's a great way of putting it!

I can tell you that Autocracy is a major story for both Prime and Megatron. You'll definitely get your quotient on them both:)
LivioRamondelli
Forum Zombie

Postby LivioRamondelli » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:12 pm

xtro guyver wrote:really glad this will be taking place in the megatron orgin/chaos theory era, that time period is ripe with untapped story potential

Yes indeed:)
LivioRamondelli
Forum Zombie

Postby Duffcon » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Hi Livio. How closely will you and Flint be working with the creative teams of the other 2 ongoing series?
"Our technology has outstripped our humanity." - Einstein

Ok to print
Duffcon
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby LivioRamondelli » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:23 pm

Duffcon wrote:Hi Livio. How closely will you and Flint be working with the creative teams of the other 2 ongoing series?

That's the beauty of John Barber being both the editor of all the current TF series ( including Autocracy) as well as writer of one of the ongoings. He's really been great at keeping things in line and making sure the past of Autocracy matches up with the present of the two new ongoings. So, John is the guiding force keeping us all on track while Flint, Chris and I focus on Autocracy.
LivioRamondelli
Forum Zombie

Postby bassbot » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:55 pm

LivioRamondelli wrote:
Duffcon wrote:Hi Livio. How closely will you and Flint be working with the creative teams of the other 2 ongoing series?

That's the beauty of John Barber being both the editor of all the current TF series ( including Autocracy) as well as writer of one of the ongoings. He's really been great at keeping things in line and making sure the past of Autocracy matches up with the present of the two new ongoings. So, John is the guiding force keeping us all on track while Flint, Chris and I focus on Autocracy.

Yeah, it really seems awesome from the outside looking in. Nice to have you perspective on it.
It seems like Andy Schmidt's dream of a core super team of creators on Transformers is coming into fruition. Great to have John as SEd with all these other amazing creators working on stuff!
bassbot
Transforumer

Next

Return to Transformers