DCnU Justice League discussion (spoilers)

Random topics, one-shots, lurid stories, and off-subject banter. Have fun!

Moderators: tronprogram, Ryall, JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Sprite, Bobby Curnow, Denton J. Tipton

DCnU Justice League discussion (spoilers)

Postby bassbot » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:46 pm

Well, the hype grabbed me and I bought it this morning on my iPad. (love digital comics)

I've mostly been a Marvel fan when it comes to the big two companies, but in the past couple of years have been quite interested in Green Lantern, so I enjoyed the banter between Batman and GL. The little seeding of Vic Stone (aka Cyborg) was cool.

And there was a TRANSFORMER reference in there too! Wonder what Hasbro thinks of that. lol

Great climax but I don't want to wait!

I didn't mind the pace, thought it brought us into the (new) world quite well, and I think if it adapts and changes pace from time to time that will be healthy. Hopefully it quickens a bit, but i'm sure then it'll need room to breathe and establish itself.

B+ for me. I like Jim Lee's art and the designs too.
Twitter: @lukeabarnett
Lukeabarnett writes on tumblr
bassbot
Transforumer

Postby Thunderwing » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:11 pm

I almost grabbed it today, but stopped at the last moment.

Seemed to be a whole lot still on the shelves...did this sell pretty well at anyone else's comic shops?
Thunderwing
Transforumer

Postby Torpedo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:26 pm

I ordered the first issues of all of the 52 titles, but I bought the digital copy of Justice League #1 and really enjoyed it.

I knew going into this series that the first six issues of JL would be the origin/formation of the League; I didn't expect to see the team formed until issue five or six, so I was fine with this basically being a chapter of Batman: The Brave and the Bold. I can't wait to see how the rest of the characters are brought into the fold.

As for the art: I was a little nervous going in. I respect Jim Lee's place as a giant in the industry, but honestly I haven't been impressed with a lot of his work in the past ten years, and a lot of his redesigns for characters left me pretty cold. That said, he did a bang-up job with this book.
Torpedo
Transforumer

Postby bassbot » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:31 pm

yeah I thought in this book he really displayed a depth to the world context of where what the superheroes are dealing with. I read some critics describe a lack of facial expression/emotion in his work, but I didn't particularly find that myself.

I quite liked it, and since posting here i've actually re-read this issue numerous times. Makes me want to check out other DCnU titles like Action Comics and Green Lantern too. Don't know if i have the budget to do that though
bassbot
Transforumer

Postby thedarkknight » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:16 pm

Action comices looks sweet , buti love an thing grant morrison writtes.
thedarkknight
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby bassbot » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:38 pm

I grabbed action, and also animal man, green lantern, red lanterns too.
bassbot
Transforumer

Postby Cattleprod » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:02 pm

From this week's batch, as much as I liked Batwoman, Green Lantern, and Red Lanterns, I can't really recommend them for new readers since they're straight up continuations of the pre-reboot stories.

However, Demon Knights was surprisingly good. I had no interest in Etrigan, but the series was getting a lot of buzz and writer Paul Cornell did one of my favorite Doctor Who stories (Human Nature/Family of Blood). I was pleasantly surprised, I'll be sticking around.
Cattleprod
Transforumer

Postby bassbot » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:39 am

Yeah that's why I liked the lanterns, cause they held a bit of history in them.

However plenty of great issues for newcomers like me too, leaving me with questions (in particular JL and Action comics)
bassbot
Transforumer

Postby thedarkknight » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:31 pm

How was animal man? He is kind of a personal fav.I might have to pick up demon knights.
thedarkknight
I'm kind of a big deal

Re: DCnU Justice League discussion (spoilers)

Postby Oracle1984 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:58 pm

bassbot wrote:Well, the hype grabbed me and I bought it this morning on my iPad. (love digital comics)

I've mostly been a Marvel fan when it comes to the big two companies, but in the past couple of years have been quite interested in Green Lantern, so I enjoyed the banter between Batman and GL. The little seeding of Vic Stone (aka Cyborg) was cool.

And there was a TRANSFORMER reference in there too! Wonder what Hasbro thinks of that. lol

Great climax but I don't want to wait!

I didn't mind the pace, thought it brought us into the (new) world quite well, and I think if it adapts and changes pace from time to time that will be healthy. Hopefully it quickens a bit, but i'm sure then it'll need room to breathe and establish itself.

B+ for me. I like Jim Lee's art and the designs too.

what's the transformers reference? (if you can tell w/out spoiling for others)
September 17, 1984. MTME Part I. The world changed forever.
---------------------------
"Nobody ever died for a typewriter." Road-Block, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero (Marvel) #69 (p.4)
---------------------------
(Okay to print)
Oracle1984
Transforumer

Postby Cattleprod » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:10 pm

Ah, in Justice League #1 (highlight to read since you asked to avoid spoilers):

The villain is a robot/cyborg type thing that changes form a few times to try to gain an advantage, and Hal compares it to a Transformer. It turns out to be a minion of a big name villain.
Cattleprod
Transforumer

Postby Numero99 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:33 pm

thedarkknight wrote:How was animal man? He is kind of a personal fav.I might have to pick up demon knights.

Animal was very cool. Its going some very dark places down the line though.

Wonder Woman was a really fun read. The art was great and they are focusing more on Greek Mythology-esque type storylines it looks like so that's a huge plus.
For reviews of stuff and nonsense.

http://www.freakinawesomenetwork.net/
Numero99
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby thedarkknight » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:48 pm

Glad to hear animal man was good , any one on here ever read the grant morrison animal man it was great . It went to some dark places two but in the end it was a great ride.

I was kind think of geting ww if i heard good things ,i was i bit iffy on it with the write . Mind u i dont think he is a bad writer just an odd on for that book

Just wish i could get some of these books before the trades but i shall have to wait :(
thedarkknight
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby bassbot » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:49 am

thedarkknight wrote:Glad to hear animal man was good , any one on here ever read the grant morrison animal man it was great . It went to some dark places two but in the end it was a great ride.

I was kind think of geting ww if i heard good things ,i was i bit iffy on it with the write . Mind u i dont think he is a bad writer just an odd on for that book

Just wish i could get some of these books before the trades but i shall have to wait :(

Yeah, Animal Man is awesome. Really loved the first issue. Can't wait for #2. if it keeps up my interest I'll add to my pull list and go the print option. Sk far just digital for the new 52 for me.

Also, because of AM I've checked out the first storyline of Sweet Tooth, by Lemire, it's awesome too. Some similar overtones of mystery and horror but a completely different tale.
bassbot
Transforumer

Postby FDrowned » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:43 am

Detective Comics has to be my favorite so far, with Stormwatch coming a close second.

Most disappointed with Justice League International.
FDrowned
Transforumer

Next

Return to Chit-Chat