Snake Eyes #7 Preview/Discussion *SPOILERS*

Yo, Joe! The base of operations for your comments is open and ready for your transmissions.

Moderators: JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Mariah, shanecdavis

Snake Eyes #7 Preview/Discussion *SPOILERS*

Postby shanecdavis » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:02 pm

ImageImage

Snake Eyes #7

Chuck Dixon (w) • Casey Maloney (a) • Robert Atkins, Agustin Padilla (c)

Duke and Snake Eyes have arrived in Albania, bringing Rodrigo Vargas to the labs at Ray Pharm where the Madness Bug was created. Racing the clock to find the cure, Snake Eyes leads the charge as Duke slowly worsens... but Cobra won't give up the antidote without a fight!

*2 regular covers will be shipped in a 1-to-1 ratio.
*Retailers: See your order form for incentive information.

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

*Variant covers:
Trevor Hutchison cover!
Last edited by shanecdavis on Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby Torpedo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:17 pm

You know what these covers could use? A picture of a Snake Eyes toy from somebody's basement.
Torpedo
Transforumer

Postby shanecdavis » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:18 pm

shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby Veritas » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:53 pm

Torpedo wrote:You know what these covers could use? A picture of a Snake Eyes toy from somebody's basement.

Only if it's surrounded by some sort of hay or grass that makes it look like Snake Eyes is standing in a bird's nest. I mean, what cover would be complete if you didn't have a bird's nest?
~CSV
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Proud GeekMom and JoeMomma!
My Blog: http://csv1026.blogspot.com
My Fanfic (Stargate SG1, GI Joe, Skulduggery Pleasant): http://www.fanfiction.net/~catwings1026
Veritas
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Veritas » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:59 pm

Awesome preview. I'm liking the tension brushed with humor and the Duke/ Snake Eyes interplay. Hiding Vargas in a coffin - wonderful on both a literal and symbolic level. Can't wait to get my hands on it. :D
~CSV
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
My Fanfic (Stargate SG1, GI Joe, Skulduggery Pleasant): http://www.fanfiction.net/~catwings1026
Veritas
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Tiger71 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:32 am

First Appearance of the "Leaky Suit Brigade"!

Other than that, I don't feel that much happened after the preview.

Actually I think this story arc was drawn out too much in order to come to the conclusion at the same time as the other titles.

The part with Kwinn at the border was great.
Tiger71
Slayer

Postby RG1701 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Huh. you guys didn't mention the addition of as yet, another Cobra position in the heiarchy of command? I think that's important. :P

Apparently, there's a prime Consul underneath Commander and above the rest of the Consuls. That's interesting to me. I really would like to find out how Cobra Command works in this version of GIJoe.
RG1701
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:01 pm

I dug this issue. I actually think that the SE book has been the most consistany good book in the CCW series. I love Costa's stuff but he started out kinda slow with CCW. I would have liked to see more of Quinn maybe he'll still be fighting his way out of the cobra base with the guys in the next issue.
Author: Karate is Self-Defense Available at Amazon.com. Kindle version available.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby maczero » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:59 am

I enjoyed it as well. I was disappointed for a moment when I thought Kwinn was simply going to drop them off and leave. Looks like Vargas' people aren't going to make it easy for him.

Also, I'm kind of excited to see the toxo-vipers show up. Here's hoping they put a fight.

Only one gripe and that's the artwork. It's not bad but I still feel it looks a little too cartoony for this book.
Need to buy, rent or sell a home in DC or Northern VA, then contact me at realtorva@verizon.net
maczero
Transforumer

Postby Veritas » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:33 am

Awesome issue! I did laugh out loud at the last line... "If we both die, Scarlett's never going to forgive us." Can't remember where I heard it, but I vaguely recall some character saying to another, "I swear, if you go and die on me, I am NEVER speaking to you again!" Heh. Love little things like that.

Kwinn's stuck - YES! Looking forward to the next issue, anticipating seeing him swing around behind the Toxo-vipers to pincer the attacking force in. Much carnage ensues, and both Duke and Snake Eyes walk out alive, o happy day.

The "new look" - I don't think the artwork is BAD; it's just a different style than we've collectively gotten used to. It's tough when artists have to be jumped around between titles; in a perfect world, an artist would be able to work on one or two titles specifically and consistently... but who said the world is perfect? Covers are one thing. I like to see some variety in cover art styles (I'm dying to see if my other store was able to get the RI covers for me). But inside a book, consistency is important... if IDW is going to bump artist assignments around, I wish that they'd at least try to cluster artists whose styles are similar, or keep artists in pencil/ink/color teams.

Meh. But what do I know. :)
~CSV
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Veritas
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Firefly87 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:52 am

I enjoyed most of it. I was more intrigued by the Prime Counsol then S.E.'s story.

Kwinn is cool, and Duke and Snake Eyes are pretty cool.

My major complaint is that I don't think there are too many stories where a mute Ninja can star in.
Firefly87
Forum Zombie

Postby Eagleyes » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:39 pm

actually LOVE the inclusion of KWINN as one of Snakes old friends.
so much potential and i like dixon's writing better over here then over there
Eagleyes
Transforumer

Postby rqatkins » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:27 pm

I understand the concern about art teams getting jostled around. Carlos has done a great job keeping Juan and Simon on the book while I've been away. As of issue #9 Alex Cal will take over on the line art for that arc.

The editor's are aware of the look and feel of the book. I can attest to that.

I agree that it's nice to have a variety to the cover artists. I think as of issue #9 you will really see that happen in a great way! Im very excited for that cover run between me on SE and the alternate cover artist for that crossover between all the titles.
rqatkins
Comic Book Guy

Postby maczero » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:22 am

rqatkins wrote:I understand the concern about art teams getting jostled around. Carlos has done a great job keeping Juan and Simon on the book while I've been away. As of issue #9 Alex Cal will take over on the line art for that arc.
That's great news! You and Alex have been my favorites since the reboot started.
Need to buy, rent or sell a home in DC or Northern VA, then contact me at realtorva@verizon.net
maczero
Transforumer

Postby ER » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:04 pm

Got behind on my reboot reading - finally read SE#7, Cobra#7 and Joe #8 today.

SE#7 is another good read. The bio-warfare plot is gritty, suspenseful and quite a bit different from most Joe adventures. The introduction of Prime Consul is also great - who exactly is this guy? And like last issue, I continue to enjoy seeing SE and Duke working together.

On the downside I was disappointed with the way Kwinn was presented. If Dixon is going to reintroduce an iconic character like Kwinn he should have had something way more amazing for him to do than just being the delivery driver. That's as ridiculous as say, bringing back the Hard Master just to show him as a grocery clerk... -sigh- Yes, I can see that Dixon is setting us up for more action with Kwinn, but still, after his big debut at the end of last issue we should have gotten some awesome Kwinn stuff this time around and not have to wait another month for it.

I like the cliffhanger at the end with the Toxo-Vipers - good stuff! And the art on the Toxo-Vipers was very well done!

Sadly, the Toxo-Vipers were the only characters that looked good in this issue, though, and the art over all hindered my enjoyment of a pretty good story. I would really like to see what Robert Atkins could do with Kwinn.

Script: "B-"
Art: "D"
ER
Transforumer

Next

Return to G.I. Joe