G.I. Joe (Vol. 2) #7 - Review/Discussion *SPOILERS*

Yo, Joe! The base of operations for your comments is open and ready for your transmissions.

Moderators: JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Mariah, shanecdavis

G.I. Joe (Vol. 2) #7 - Review/Discussion *SPOILERS*

Postby shanecdavis » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:59 am

G.I. Joe: Ongoing Vol. 2 #7

Chuck Dixon (w) • Will Rosado (a) • Tom Feister, Will Rosado (c)

The Cobra Civil War races toward its climax! Trapped in Springfield seconds away from extermination by a rogue B.A.T., Team Alpha, lead by Flint, resorts to desperate measures that may not see them out of Springfield alive! Meanwhile, Mainframe scrambles to save the Tuna, a captured submarine now manned by a Joe crew, as Cobra's cyber attack sinks it to the bottom of the sea!

*2 regular covers will be shipped in a 1-to-1 ratio.
*Retailers: See your order form for incentive information.

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

*Variant covers:
Trevor Hutchison cover!

Bullet points:
The Cobra Civil War is building to its conclusion, and the body count continues to rise!
Last edited by shanecdavis on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby shanecdavis » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:03 am

shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:37 pm

This is an OK issue IMO. I didn't care for the art as much, but the story is more important to me. This one just seemed lack luster, I guess it is the lull before the storm of next months issues that finally decide the new commander.
Author: Karate is Self-Defense Available at Amazon.com. Kindle version available.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby Eagleyes » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:09 pm

it isnt available to download on the idw ap for my ipad.

does anyone know when it will be? cobra 6 still isnt there either
Eagleyes
Transforumer

Postby maczero » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:45 pm

Mamu_Nestor wrote:This is an OK issue IMO. I didn't care for the art as much, but the story is more important to me. This one just seemed lack luster
Really? I thought it packed a lot in there. Decent resolutions to the BAT and Tuna plots and Bludd pulls ahead in the contest.

As for the art, I like it. I say keep Rosado on this title.
Need to buy, rent or sell a home in DC or Northern VA, then contact me at realtorva@verizon.net
maczero
Transforumer

Postby Mamu_Nestor » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:15 pm

Just because a lot happened doesn't mean it was done well. I thought some of it was rushed and some I didn't like how be did it... I don't think Dixon does multiple stories well, at least not this one. Also I guess I have a different perspective with how much I liked ARAH 171 & SE 6. Costa has been a little lack luster for me lately, but normally I really love his stuff. I wonder if he is overloaded with Transformers, Blackhawks, and Cobra.
Author: Karate is Self-Defense Available at Amazon.com. Kindle version available.
Mamu_Nestor
Transforumer

Postby ER » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:11 pm

Bought cover B with Flint and Baroness - I wasn't really crazy about either cover though. I like the big action/big scene covers like the ones that SL Gallant does for ARAH. Also if you're going to have two covers why put the Baroness on both of them? We could have had a cover that represented the submarine half of the issue.

Pages 1-4
Good opening with Error-404 beginning his attack on the Tuna. This delivers well on that cliffhanger from the previous issue. I rolled my eyes at Mainframe's "It could happen" line. I don't know - it just seemed out of character. I can't imagine him making that kind of a statement to one of the other ladies on the team - talk about setting himself up for humiliation. I think he would be more guarded than that.

Pages 5-8
Great stuff. The suspense hit home as the Joes hustle into the vault and for the first time I actually felt for the death of a generic Joe. I found myself very much liking Pokerface and was sad to see him go.

Pages 9-10
The sub full of Joes is under Cobra control and dropping fast into crush depth territory. The monkey on the computer screens - ha! The pics of the water bursting into the sub, tossing Joes aside - Dixon and Rosado have my complete attention so far!

Pages 11-13
Love this! The Joes cutting the chip out of the Baroness's arm - awesome! It's immensely satisfying to see this spoiled Aristocratic brat get the treatment she deserves! :twisted: I have a grim feeling that Baroness's line to Hard-Drive "You are so dead for this!" will come true, though... And great pic of the BAT blazing its way through the vault on the top of page 13.

At this point we're a little over half way in the issue and both stories are highly enjoyable, hitting us hard with action and suspense and the pacing is masterful - we're moving at breakneck speed!

Pages 14-15
The sub continues to sink and we see in some parts of the vessel the water is already knee-deep. Great! Mainframe mentions that he has one last desperate move left, and we're left wondering what the plan is as we cut back to the BAT story...

Pages 16-17
Up until this point I thought the writing was dead on perfect. But here Dixon loses me. They suddenly call in an air strike and boom, problem solved. Pretty anticlimactic when the characters in trouble don't take care of the problem themselves. What a disappointing resolution to a story that was so perfectly set up. Not to mention I thought the Joes were out of contact with the rest of the team. In #6 Flint says "soon as we're out of jamming range we'll raise General Hawk and apprise him of our situation." No comment had ever been made regarding communications since, so I had assumed that they were still out of contact with the rest of the team. We never see them calling HQ about holing up in Springfield or about the BAT when it first attacks, so it's easy to think they're still cut off from the rest of the team. So to suddenly call in an air strike at the last minute is jarring to me. Another issue is that I don't think a plane could have been over Springfield before the BAT would have melted its way into the vault. But again, the biggest problem with this is that its just anticlimactic for these Joes, who we thought were cut off from everyone else, to not solve the problem themselves. This certainly didn't ruin the entire issue for me, but I am disappointed with the way this ultimately played out.

Pages 18-20
Now THIS resolution for the sinking sub story is a home-run. We learn what Mainframe's plan is and I did not see this coming, but it's very plausible AND the problem was solved by the Joes facing the danger. They didn't suddenly call another Joe sub that happened to be in the area to come by and tow them out of danger - which, as lame as that sounds, is pretty much the equivalent of what we got in the BAT resolution. What also adds to the greatness of this climax is that it's a hollow victory - they still lose the sub with 60 or more Joes. Whoa. Was not expecting this. I figured that in the end they would save the sub, but no.

Page 21
Great to see some more on the mysterious Cobra Council, and of course Bludd is now on the scoreboard in a big way.

Page 22
It is confirmed that The Joes in the vault survived the blast. Not much of a cliffhanger I suppose, but it's not a terrible ending either. But I think we can safely assume now that Ripcord and Crankcase are both dead in the reboot continuity. Even if they had just been wounded by the car blast surely they would have perished in this airstrike, not being in the vault.

Overall this is another strong entry for the main title. The submarine half of the issue is flawless. The BAT half of the issue is excellent up until the disappointing resolution.

Once again the art is very good, but it does look rushed in places and it doesn't seem as crisp as it was last issue.

Script: B+
Art: A-
ER
Transforumer

Postby Veritas » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:07 pm

ER wrote:Pages 1-4
Good opening with Error-404 beginning his attack on the Tuna. This delivers well on that cliffhanger from the previous issue. I rolled my eyes at Mainframe's "It could happen" line. I don't know - it just seemed out of character. I can't imagine him making that kind of a statement to one of the other ladies on the team - talk about setting himself up for humiliation. I think he would be more guarded than that.

I am really, really liking E404... he reads very much like the hacker-hunting guys I worked with at an internet startup back in the '90s, and it's very much a game to him - he's detached from the actual mortality, I think. What's his dialect drawn from, though? I'm usually pretty good at figuring it out, but my subconscious keeps going "Canadian!" and I just don't think it's that.

As for Mains... think back to the scene where he and DT are playing around with a simulator back at the Pit. They come out and get teased by Rock n' Roll - "Are you SURE that's all that was going on in there?" Cue the confused glance between Mains and DT - "What was he talking about?" It's a low shot, stereotyping techies as being out of touch with emotions - but I don't think that's what was going on in this issue.

My take is that Mainframe sees Dial Tone as a pal, a buddy, which essentially renders her genderless in his eyes. He's not talking to another woman OR a teammate - he's talking to a friend, possibly one he feels a brotherly fondness for (based on the back-and-forth in the past). Mainframe wasn't shy about asking Duke whether Scarlett was still spoken for, and prevailed even when Duke pointedly tried to give him the message "Buddy, she may not be spoken for, but given who she's interested in, you don't have a snowball's chance in..."

I'm thinking that Mainframe may be letting his feelings for Scarlett blind him to a friend who could be more, and is closer at hand.

Wish I could get my hands on the RI cover this month - I love TH's work.
~CSV
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Proud GeekMom and JoeMomma!
My Blog: http://csv1026.blogspot.com
My Fanfic (Stargate SG1, GI Joe, Skulduggery Pleasant): http://www.fanfiction.net/~catwings1026
Veritas
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby ER » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:58 am

Good points Veritas!
ER
Transforumer

Postby Firefly87 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:47 am

I enjoyed it, but then again, I've been enjoying this series for a while now.
Firefly87
Forum Zombie

Postby Torpedo » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:37 am

Mamu_Nestor wrote:This is an OK issue IMO. I didn't care for the art as much, but the story is more important to me. This one just seemed lack luster, I guess it is the lull before the storm of next months issues that finally decide the new commander.

I finally read this issue and I agree it was just okay, nothing special. And that's a problem. This is the penultimate issue of a major story line and I have no idea where they're going. What is the direction for this story? What is the cliffhanger leading into an epic climactic issue #8? I got nothing from this. The only thing this story accomplished was destroying what I thought should have been the Joes' new base of operations in the Tuna.

And once again, the characters who get the real dramatic beats are these brand new creations like Pokerface and Harddrive. I think the IDW-verse is being defined and hindered by the Mary Sue characters thrust in by the writers.
Torpedo
Transforumer

Postby Eagleyes » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:21 pm

This was lame.
GIJOE taking the Tuna was stupid plot point.
the bombs taking out the uber bat but keeping the safe...er, well, safe, was dumb. The Cobra crew needs to take over the main title.
Eagleyes
Transforumer

Return to G.I. Joe