Vote! Your favorite Non-IDW Toho Monster

Godzilla, Hedorah, Mothra, Rodan... doesn't matter who your favorite Toho monster is, chances are you'll see them in our coming comics. C'mon in and get some good "flame wars" going.

Moderators: Bobby Curnow, Mowry

Of the monsters for which IDW does not yet have a license, which is your favorite?

Baragon
10%
Biollante
24%
Ebirah, the Sea Monster
No votes
Ebirah, the Sea Monster
No votes
Gorosaurus
No votes
Kamacuras/Gimantis
No votes
King Caesar
19%
Manda
No votes
Megaguirus
5%
Megalon
5%
Minilla
No votes
Moguera
5%
Orga
10%
Varan
24%

Total votes : 21

Vote! Your favorite Non-IDW Toho Monster

Postby Batagor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:47 am

Ok, so here is part two of the poll. Vote for your favorite monster from the Godzilla films, that IDW does not yet have a license for. In order to keep the poll to a more manageable size, I've left off other Toho kaiju, like the Gargantuas, Dogora, etc., who have never appeared with Godzilla on film. In addition, with the exception of Minya, I made a judgement call and left off Baby, Little Godzilla and Junior--the focus for this poll is other monsters that IDW could be considering as additions to the series, rather than Godzilla, and his offspring.

Oh yeah, also, I've left off Jet Jaguar, because he is amazing and would clearly dominate the poll if I left him on ;)

Get your vote on! :D
"It doesn't make sense... babies can't even vote!"
Batagor
Transforumer

Postby Urzu Six » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Just so you all know... I punched the air as I voted.

http://blacksquareart.deviantart.com/

Okay to print, and all that jazz
Urzu Six
Transforumer

Postby Destroyer14 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:18 pm

Gotta go with Orga. Most would say Biollante, but I'm going with Orga.

I think Mecha King Ghidorah should be added.
Pain Is Inevitable, Suffering Is Optional.
Destroyer14
Comic Book Guy

Postby Void_Master » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:41 am

It's just easy to vote for Biollante. She's so different. She's got a very unique, very cool design and a relationship with Godzilla that could be further explored. As a kid, I just liked how huge she is. Yes she wouldn't be that much bigger than Godzilla post '89, but I had never doubted Godzilla's ability to beat a monster until then. She just looked like she would overpower Godzilla so easily.

Plus it probably helps that the movie in question cannot be legitimately found in the US except on VHS (which I have long since lost due to it's destruction in a flooding incident). Hopefully one day that will prove otherwise though...
Go Go Godzilla!

Okay to print.
Void_Master
Transforumer

Postby kaijukurt » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:24 am

I like the way MechaGodzilla's been portrayed and used in KOM and G&G!!!
kaijukurt
Forum Zombie

Postby codycameron09 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:14 pm

This poll needs to be fixed... Add JET JAGUAR!!!
codycameron09
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Rhuen » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:48 pm

Biollante and King Caesar are neck and neck

-the way it should be

after all they are the top two I personally would love to see make an apperance in the comics. What's not to love between a massive plant monster with Godzilla cells and a human soul, and a magical giant golem god that is also a shishi statue?
Rhuen
Forum Zombie

Postby Void_Master » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:39 am

Glad to see Varan getting some votes. Despite the negative things I've read over at Toho Kingdom, I've always wanted to see Varan's movie. He's just interesting (though I wonder how much of that has to do with the sweet Marc Cerasini depiction of him).
Last edited by Void_Master on Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Go Godzilla!

Okay to print.
Void_Master
Transforumer

Postby TokyoVigilante » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:48 pm

Void_Master wrote:Glad to see Varan getting some votes. Despite the negative things I've read over at Toho Kingdom, I've always wanted to see Varan's movie. He's just interesting (though I wonder how much of that has to do with the sweet Marc Cerasini deception of him).

If you're already a fan of the genre, Varan is atleast worth seeing once. It's genesis as a TV mini-series and not a theatrical film shows in some of the production values and the brutally slow pacing. The Media Blaster's DVD comes with a recreation of the "Broadcast Version"; a lean 54 minute version it was initially intended to appear in. It's enjoyable.

As for Varan himself, I think he's ripe for a revamp. His design is to wonderful not to reappear, it'll just take a fresh and really interesting presentation to bring him back and popular, atleast on the level that someone like Megalon is, IMO.
Godzilla, '62
Rodan, '65
King Ghidorah, '65
Kumonga, '67
King Seesar, '74
TokyoVigilante
Comic Book Guy

Postby Destroyer14 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:22 pm

I'm sorry, I just don't like King Caeser.

Never saw Varan the Unbelievable. (The dub title is still to this day hilarious.)
Pain Is Inevitable, Suffering Is Optional.
Destroyer14
Comic Book Guy

Postby Batagor » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:33 pm

Bumping this... It's not too late to vote, if you haven't yet!
Batagor
Transforumer

Postby Zornow13 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:39 am

Yeah Jet Jaguar needs to be on the list. I voted for Baragon, tho seeing how few votes he has, I wish I had voted for Megalon...poor guy WE NEED MORE VILLAN MONSTERS!! MOnsters like Gimantis, are kinda useless, Manda too...

Would LOVE to see King Seesar appear...all the 70's monsters are fav of mine! They are all excellent at kicking kaiju *!!
...What the moon brings..
...and what the night leaves behind..
...are the reasons why...
Zornow Must Be Destroyed!
www.facebook.com/jeffzornow
Zornow13
Comic Book Guy

Postby Batagor » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:23 pm

Bumping this on the news that IDW is in negotiations for more monsters! :)

For those of you just joining us, Jet Jaguar has been intentionally left off the list because he is so popular. If he were on the list, we wouldn't find out which other monsters are "favorites".

I'll be unofficially closing the list the first week of March, so, getcha vote on while you can!
Batagor
Transforumer

Postby Rhuen » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:30 pm

Biollante

King Caesar

and now Varan

all tied for first place.

Varan is totally surprising me, given its a monster from its own old movie *that was edited to remove it flying* to be "more realistic"

which I don't get, this and Reptilicus were both edited to remove them flying, as if that was the suspension of disbelief breaking point for giant mutant lizard monsters.

But Varan's only apperance since then was one second background cameo in "Destroy All Monsters" but Varan falls into that unfortunate catagory along side Baragon where there are other monsters simular to them but more popular who tend to replace them when they are brought up.
Rhuen
Forum Zombie

Postby fbwash » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:50 am

I just got the okay to post these commissioned sketch cards that are actually going to be prizes for some lucky winners on one or both (not sure) Poll s here : It's a 4 card puzzle featuring : Gigan, King Seesar, Jet Jaguar & MechGodzilla.
* Please Note : That I used NEON GEL PENS on the art so the "energy" is very bright. Scanner unfortunately can't pick it up well, but the lucky winners will be pleased. I also doubled the cards - to give extra thickness.

Frankie B Washington
http://www.frankiebwashington.com

Robot God Akamatsu Facebook Page :
http://www.facebook.com/RGAkamatsu
fbwash
Forum Zombie

Next

Return to Godzilla and the Toho Monsters