Boning Up On the Classics

Transformers is here! Discuss anything TF-related.

Moderators: ladywreck, tronprogram, bassbot, Ryall, JohnBarber, Cattleprod, CarlosG86

Postby temple » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:14 pm

Issue #6: The Worse of Two Evils!

Uh oh... looks like Kinkwave hasn't taken Megatron's rejection of his deviant attentions very well. He's blastin' off big chunks of Meg's shoulder; not bad for a guy with a face like a breadbin. One question, though; why are the two of them fighting in the SKY? Seriously, there's all these clouds, and there's a curious helicopter cruising by... weird.

Remember that oil rig from last issue? Well, Kinkwave wants it and he's not shy about letting people know. What does he need all that oil for? You REALLY don't wanna know. Let's just say... he has a lot of things to lubricate, and leave it at that.

He hasn't reckoned on the awesome power of G.B. Blackrock's marvellous moustache, though. Remember, this is a man who will happily sit in his office on the rig (Why? I guess there must be a lot of day-to-day admin to do on this particular drilling platform) wearing shades, an open shirt and medallions. You KNOW that his stereo's playing some funky basslines; boom-chaka-WOW-wow...

Anyways, The Moustache orders Josie to put her Nintendo DS stylus to good use and activate the defenses. Cue hovercopters, mortars and surface-to-air harpoons. ...wait, what? What the hell kind of trouble has G.B. been expecting? It's kinda a good thing that a giant death machine from outer space has attacked the rig if you think about it. I mean, if it was just a small shipful of Somali pirates, how stupid would Blackrock look?

Doesn't make any difference anyway; Kinkwave absolutely p0wns the place. G.B. wants to admit defeat, but Josie refuses to give in; she wants to show that with the right amount of pluck and determination, even the most seemingly insurmountable... oh dear, she's been electrocuted. Don't worry though, sweet lady; this moustache will not leave you behind! (cue Officer and a Gentleman theme).

Buster and Prime are having a little... 'head to head' discussion, as Optimus asks the kid to help save the Autobots. Buster remembers his dad wants him to leave well alone... but then he remembers that the old man never got him that Game n' Watch he wanted last Christmas. Screw that noise! Prime says there's no time to explain, and to just place some terminals on his temples. Really, Prime? There was no time to explain about the SEARING MIND PAIN and subsequent coma? What a jerk!

While Jerkimus Prime is destroying teenager's brains, Megatron finally somehow escapes from his extremely flimsy, ridiculously loose bonds and goes to have a few words with Kinkwave. Specifically ANGRY words, that involve shooting the big purple monster out the side of the mountain and onto the town below. Weirdly, this subtle clue to the whereabouts of the alien invaders' secret base seems to pass over the heads of the Oregon citizenry.

The two of them have a little spat through the town; Megatron's upset that Kinkwave never called in the last four million years, Kinkwave complains that he was buried under loadsa tar and rock and stuff, Megatron's like "yeah, right"... and so on. Anyways, long story short, Megs probably should have remembered his annual waterproofing, as Kinkwave shorts him out and then blows him away (not in the way you're thinking, you filthy urchins).

To add insult to injury, Kinkwave then makes all the 'Cons, including ol' junkheap Megatron, swear alliegance to him, with the special scout pinky salute and everything. For a guy that spent the first four issues constantly needling his supreme ruler, Starscream sure seems happy to suck up to the 'Wave; maybe he's heard about his new boss's vast collection of electrowhips.

And what of Ratchet and Buster? They're huddled together against the cold and despair. Hey, oh caring doctor; why not let the kid huddle INSIDE the ambulance, huh? The guy just had his noggin toasted!

YOMTOV WATCH!
Because they paid him in cheese

Fixed!
Thundercracker is coloured right when Kinkwave's addressing the troops!
Right at the end, Ratchet actually has an Autobot symbol! (not a Yomtov issue, admittedly, but...)

Not fixed!
Soundwave is strangely colourless, with a lavender head!
temple
Transforumer

Postby temple » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:39 pm

Issue #7: Warrior School!

Man, Ratchet looks pretty scared on this cover... I mean, scared in a 'dull surprise' kinda way. He's telling Buster to run for it, cause "Megatron is the mightiest of Decepticons!" Really? Not the guy whose tail we saw getting kicked last issue, then. Here's an idea, doc; why not try shooting' Megs with that gun? The gun in your hand? That you're already pointing at him? Also, why is Buster suddenly in some sort of bright orange all-in-one outfit? Is he doing community service or something?

Okay, we're off and running with a gang of teens out campin' in the woods. I've seen those Friday the 13th movies; they're probably smokin' doobies and then doin' the nasty. Serves 'em right when a tree comes down. Take that, hippies! Aw, turns out it's just Ratchet and his annoying sidekick Buster. Guess they decided to come down the mountain the scenic way.

Hmmm, at least Buster's found time to change clothes between issues. Not before time; he's been wearing that pink T-shirt and jeans combo since issue 1, and it's gotta be pretty ripe by now. Ordinarily these four cool kids wouldn't hang out with a stone-cold lame-o like Buster, but seeing as he's got a weenie-cooking giant robot with him, they let him stay. Well, until he pitches a MAJOR FREAKOUT, the tool. Way to ruin the party, Captain Bringdown.

Anyway, we cut to Blackrock Aerospace now, and here's Gabe and Ferdy, a couple of blue-collar shlubs. Gabe finds an abandoned tape deck in the parking lot, and instead of handing it in to lost property, just steals it. Not only does Blackrock employ thieves, he also continues his habit of RIDICULOUSLY OVER-THE-TOP DEFENSES, including in this case a private army and what look like large mortar cannons. SERIOUSLY? Is this allowed; does the government let you stash your own artillery in the middle of a town if you're rich enough? I guess so...

Anyway, sucks to be Dishonest Gabe, as that tape deck turns out to be... (dramatic pause)... THUNDERCRACKER! ...nah, it's Soundwave. "As ever, these fleshlings are no match for the cunning of SOUNDWAVE!" What cunning, you jackass? You sat in a parking lot and waited for someone to pick you up! How long have you been there, anyway, like three days? Anyways, he and Laserbeak promptly take over the factory, although in a bizarrely nonlethal manner. Seriously, Soundwave's like the A-team; he just shoots the guns out of peoples' hands and junk.

Kinkwave's happy, but ol' G.B. pitches a minor hissy fit. I guess it IS unfair that they keep picking on his stuff. Hey, Decepticons! There's a whole bunch of Trump stuff out there you can steal! He decides to take his mind off things by heading over to the Blackrock Chronic Care Institute, which bizarrely DOESN'T seem to be protected by ground-to-air missile silos, although I guess they could be round the back.

Poor little Josie Beller's pretty much paralysed, at least until DC reboots her character, but incredibly she's still working for G.B. Has the girl never heard the phrase "no win, no fee lawyers"? If anyone has the right to a workplace malpractise suit, it's her. But I guess at least she's keeping busy, and not dwelling on the whole 'giant robot attack' thing.

Ratchet sneaks back into the Ark; I guess the Decepticons thought that even posting two guys at the front door seemed a little paranoid. He has a little chat with Prime's head, who strangely rather than exhorting him to steal away with the former's bonce or try to reactivate some of his comrades, chooses to go all Mister Miyagi on the hapless medic. How ya gonna teach him to wax on, Prime? You ain't got no arms!

Buster makes it home, having unfortunately run into Jesse and 'O' on the way. You can see his contempt for them by the way he makes 'O' pay for a drink from the vending machine rather than, say, getting one from the house. Anyway, Buster throws an almighty wobbler and throws them out, incidentally activating UNHOLY TELEKINETIC ABILITIES. Jeez, guys; guess you shouldn't have made fun of his first period.

Ratchet has given up on the sneaking and is pretty much just wandering aimlessly about the corridors, so it's no excuse that Megatron catches him and uses a Vulcan death pinch on him. He's gonna kill the dumbfounded doc, until Ratchet convinces him that... something something Dinobots... something something beat Kinkwave... to be honest, his whole plan is a little hazy. Then they both do that weird unscrew-hand, pour-out-fuel thing and do some weird oath thing involving setting fire to it. Guess it's more binding than a pinkie swear. Things aren't looking good, Ratchet... this calls for the clenched-fist-fizzy-eyes pose of angst!

YOMTOV WA...

Oh. Actually... nothing really to fix this time round. Good job, Nelson! Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day!
temple
Transforumer

Postby Forester » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:02 pm

Does #7 still have the "I can help you defend Shockwave" line? (It was supposed to be "defeat," but they made a typo).

IDW isn't excatly typo-free in their reprints. I'm looking at you, "Gold War Bunker." :p
Forester
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Sprite » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:27 am

Hehe. He said "weenie". :lol:
OK to print.
D&D/TMNT/MLP/X-Files modding, avatar tech support and shattered trousers repair.
Sprite
Transforumer

Postby temple » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:49 am

Forester wrote:Does #7 still have the "I can help you defend Shockwave" line? (It was supposed to be "defeat," but they made a typo).

IDW isn't excatly typo-free in their reprints. I'm looking at you, "Gold War Bunker." :p

It's been changed; "defeat" it is.

And yes, yes I did say 'weenie.' 8)
temple
Transforumer

Postby Galvatronforever » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:20 am

Loving these sarcasm drenched breakdowns - hilarious stuff (bobs stories have never been more compelling)
Galvatronforever
Red Shirt

Postby temple » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:55 am

Galvatronforever wrote:Loving these sarcasm drenched breakdowns - hilarious stuff (bobs stories have never been more compelling)

Glad you're enjoying them. Hopefully the fact that I genuinely love these comics softens any unnecessary meanness; it's all too easy to say "Hey! These toy tie-in comics aimed at kids seem stoopid now that I'm in my thirties!" Instead, I find I like them more now then I did even then, even through the cynical, jaded eye of adulthood.

And if my oft-scatological silliness has inspired just one person to give these stories a read (if they never have before) or a revisit (if they have), then I'll have done my job.
temple
Transforumer

Postby temple » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:00 pm

Issue 8: Repeat Performance!

"And Now... the Dinobots!" Man, I wish more covers still did this; announced exciting new characters to get the kids buyin'. Although, come to think of it, we've already seen the Dinobots like, four issues ago. DAMN YOU, COVER! *shakes fist* I'm glad we don't have your sort around any more! It's nothing but generically arty, nonrepresentative pictures for me from now on! Also, gotta say ouch for Swoop and Snarl, who don't seem to be photogenic enough to make the cover. "And Now... Three Fifths of the Dinobots!" would be more accurate.

Weeee! Ratchet cruisin' along on a floating... platform... thing. Handy for the swamps of the Savage Land, although he does end up getting attacked by a large snake. Never mind, I'm sure as a caring doctor he will gently remove the harmless creature, and... WAAAA! LASER TO THE FACE! It's all right, Ratchet; I don't think anyone saw you.

There's a quick check in with Kinkwave and his poor old slave Megatron; turns out Optimus' disembodied noggin contains the Creation Matrix, which can make new Transformers. Once again, Jerkimus Prime, real noble of you to take a precious means of your species' reproduction with you on your suicide asteroid mission.

Ratchet pretty much immediately finds Slag and digs him out of a tar pit, then rather than reactivating him to talk to, watches his memories like a freaking holiday special. Turns out the Dinos pretty much got their tails whipped by Kinkwave back in the day, until Snarl dropped them all off a cliff. Bright spark, that Snarl. I bet Kinkwave was annoyed that he didn't land in the tar; I hear he likes it messy.

Slag wakes up and gives Ratchet a quick shoeing; probably thought the not-so-good doctor had roofied him or something. Luckily, Ratchet shows him his rubsign and not only does Slag stop attacking, he immediately agrees that the Dinos will go help slap Kinkwave down. Huzzah! So much for needless plot development!

Poor old G.B... the stress of the past couple of issues has been so great, his Moustache of Power has fallen out. No wonder he's stumbling over his interview. Man, I sure hope Kinkwave doesn't show up to ruin his day agai- ah, there he is. Man, sucks to be you, G.B! You're gonna need more army guys!

Kinkwave's there to see that his good pal Soundwave is cracking on with makin' new Decepticons... a whole six of 'em! Glad to see you're thinking big, Kink ol' buddy. And Prime's head is suddenly there as well... did Kinkwave just bring the head with him? Where did he carry it? Actually... I probably don't wanna know.

His antics have annoyed lil' Josie, though, who's been hard at work making circuitboard doohickeys. Wow... with their aid, she can MOVE HER ARM AGAIN. Wait... that's the arm she could move anyway. D'oh! I would have started with the completely paralysed arm myself, but that's why I'm not a technological wunderkind, I guess.

Ratchet drops Megs a Skype call to let him know that Kinkwave's been duly thrashed, then arranges to meet him for a romantic ski trip for two. Turns out Megatron plans to BETRAY his poor little Autobot buddy. Le gasp! Unfortunately for him, he hasn't counted on the Dinobots pulling a Tremors, the snow apparently being about forty feet deep on the Oregon ski slopes.

Doesn't matter; he kicks the crap out of the five of them anyway, thus rendering this whole issue pretty much a waste of time. But all is not lost, as Ratchet finally acts... LIKE A WARRIOR. ...by which I mean runs straight at Megs like a half-hearted quarterback. Megatron is already making with the evil chuckles, but he's forgotten the Law of Wile. E. Coyote, and takes a nasty tumble. Quick, almighty Megatron! Turn into your teeny gun mode before it's too late. It is, though, and Megs meets his end not with a bang, or indeed a whimper, but with a 'pwoof'. I'm not even joking, it says it right there; 'pwoof.'

What with the Ark back in Autobot hands (again, the Cons strangely reluctant to leave anybody there; you would have thought they would have at least made use of the 'Bots' spacious refridgerator space), it would seem that all is well in the world of the Transformers. Well, except that Josie's arm thingummy also shoots lasers, that is. Probably should have made the rest of the suit before blowing stuff up, though, dimwit!

YOMTOV WATCH!
Because he's probably a perfectly nice guy

Fixed!
Kinkwave is now his usual purple when fightin' the Dinobots!

Not fixed!
Laserbeak is now closer to his usual colours, but still not quite right!
temple
Transforumer

Postby HdE » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:45 pm

temple wrote:Also, gotta say ouch for Swoop and Snarl, who don't seem to be photogenic enough to make the cover. "And Now... Three Fifths of the Dinobots!" would be more accurate.

Gotta say - and those of you forumers who have met me at Auto Assembly will be SICK of this story by now...

Stuff like that fuelled a rather eeeenterestink misconception back in school. The Transformers comic was always the talk of the playground on its day of release, and we all used to debate it like... uh.. a bunch of kids talking about stuff.

Anyways, the little wrinkle that developed was this: Swoop never got a UK toy release. Or maybe he did, but belatedly. I struggle to remember. And I tell ya, that freaky li'l pterodactyl... he was the Drift of Marvel's Transformers. Everybody HATED him!

And I suspect it was just because you couldn't walk into a shop with mum and dad (or mum and... uh... other mum, if you were Charlie, the school loser with his 'special' parents - ah, the'80s... such enlightened times!) and nag them for his toy.

Later on, when we got to target 2006, there was a similar uproar over Impactor.

I'm thinking... pattern emerging in the fan base? ;)
I letter comics. Quite a bit.

HdE
Transforumer

Postby RackNRuin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:33 am

HdE wrote: Anyways, the little wrinkle that developed was this: Swoop never got a UK toy release. Or maybe he did, but belatedly. I struggle to remember.

Nope, you were right - Swoop never got a UK toy release. Neither did Shockers, Blaster, 50% of the initial line-up of Pretenders, deluxe Insecticons/Autobots, Trypticon (officially through Hasbro - some independent toy stores got stock in, and he was offered as a competition prize from Marvel UK), Sky Lynx (ditto explanation), Devastator (the individual six Constructicons were offered belatedly in 1989 - four years after their debut - with all the Devy parts removed. Hasbro UK loves us; no, really).

Oh, I forgot Perceptor, Fort Max, Sixshot, Autobot and Decepticon clones, Punch, the Predacons...

But, Hasbro UK did look after our interests: They made sure that there were always enough Jumpstarters to keep our shop shelves warm for years after 1985 :D
Some ideas to improve the comic: One: Drift needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two: whenever Drift's not in an issue, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Drift"?
RackNRuin
Forum Zombie

Postby zhgingaah » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:44 am

We did get Overlord though.

Well, I say we. I didn't. I did have a massive cardboard cut-out of him from my local co-op's promotion though... wish I still had that. (Hoping it might be in my dad's garage! :P)
*All my nonsense tapped out here is okay to print*
zhgingaah
Transforumer

Postby temple » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:42 am

zhgingaah wrote:We did get Overlord though.

Well, I say we. I didn't. I did have a massive cardboard cut-out of him from my local co-op's promotion though... wish I still had that. (Hoping it might be in my dad's garage! :P)

Ah, Overlord. Last G1 Transformer I bought (during the original run, anyhow). Awesome toy. And as I grew up in Hong Kong, I had access to a lot of the toys that didn't make it to the UK (although I only got as far as 4/6ths of Devastator).
temple
Transforumer

Postby HdE » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:20 am

RackNRuin wrote:
Nope, you were right - Swoop never got a UK toy release. Neither did Shockers, Blaster, 50% of the initial line-up of Pretenders, deluxe Insecticons/Autobots, Trypticon (officially through Hasbro - some independent toy stores got stock in, and he was offered as a competition prize from Marvel UK), Sky Lynx (ditto explanation), Devastator (the individual six Constructicons were offered belatedly in 1989 - four years after their debut - with all the Devy parts removed. Hasbro UK loves us; no, really).

Ay thankyaw - the ol' HdE memory linkages are gettinga bit rusty in my old age, so some confirmation is appreciated!

Your post reminds me of some other school-days hi-jinks:

You mention the Constructicons. Get this: The most obnoxious kid in our school came back from a holiday in the United States one day with a full set of Constructicons. Naturally, everybody wanted to see them combined. But no. Uh-uh. Wasn't gonna happen. And nobody was allowed to touch those things or even come NEAR them!

Bad plan. Because one embittered kid made a point of grabbing one of them and lobbing it over the chain link fence of the playing field into the main road outside.

KRRUNCH! Went the Constructicon under the wheels of a passing 18 wheeler. We all laughed. The other kid howled.

A friend of mine came back from holiday (spooky similarities between stories, huh?) with Shockwave, and that toy was the talk of the playground for some time. About a year later, he acquired Blaster as well... and I don't think he was at all aware that those guys were hard to find here in the UK.
I letter comics. Quite a bit.

HdE
Transforumer

Re: Boning Up On the Classics

Postby Torpedo » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:38 pm

temple wrote:Hullo, fellow forumites! Last week, I came into possession of Transformers Classics, Volume 1 (and by 'came into possession,' I mean I bought it, I didn't steal it off a child or anything). Funny thing is, I haven't really read any of these early stories since the Titan collections came out, (and before that, not since buyin' the UK comic as a kid) so thought I'd take the opportunity to reaquaint myself with my childhood robot pals, and thought you might like to tag along.

Well, now I regret stealing my own copy of Transformers Classics, Volume 1 from a child. I could have stolen so many other things if I knew the issues were going to be recapped in depth like this.

*sigh*

I guess I'll just have to read them myself to make the theft feel meaningful.
Torpedo
Transforumer

Postby temple » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:28 pm

Issue #9: DIS-Integrated Circuits!

Now THAT'S a cover. I was just thinking this comic needed some unnecessary T n' A. "The lady's name is Circuit-breaker" apparently. Listen, Bob; no "lady" I know walks around dressed in half a roll of tinfoil. ...more's the pity. She'd better watch out, though; ol' Starscream's looming out of the sketchily depicted background, with extreme gropeage on his mind!

Okay, we're straight in at a racetrack, where G.B. Blackrock, man about town and generous lover, is taking his racecar through its paces. He's taken safety precautions first, though, namely regrowing his marvellous magical moustache. Wait a minute... moustachioed billionaire industrialist racing despite the disapproval of his staff? IRON MAN 2 IS COPYING THIS ISSUE! FAVREAU, YOU FRAUD! Anyway, some army guys are concerned about Blackrock unveiling his mighty weapon in public (cough), but he's rich, so he doesn't have to listen to them.

Then he goes to visit innocent lil' Josie at the medical centre, who seems to have neatly hidden both the stuff she blew up last issue, as well as her magic circuit arm. She totally wants to kill robots, but G.B.'s like, "no way" and junk. He's a caring boss; he only lets you get electrocuted by alien invaders once. ...maybe twice.

Good news: the Autobots are all fixed! Well, apart from Sunny, but I guess his toy wasn't selling that well. Jazz is rocking out to some heavy... MADONNA? Jeez, Jazz, are you SURE you're black? I know it's the eighties, but still... he's got a pretty bright idea, though; run a protection racket on the fleshies in return for sweet, sweet fuel.

Back to the aerospace plant, now, and Kinkwave isn't happy about the whole 'loss of the Ark' thing. Wait a moment... one hand... one eye... a bird on one shoulder? Why didn't I see it before? He's a PIRATE! Anyhoo, Cap'n Kinkwave humours a tantrum-throwing Frenzy and sends him and Screamer to mess with G.B.'s massive weapon; a frightening prospect, I'm sure you'll agree.

Lest we go an issue without Buster annoying us, here he is at his dad's garage, where customers are leaving in their droves. Man, Buster; if you just said your dad was recuperating from heart surgery, they'd probably understand. Luckily for him, though, his eerie powers (and accompanying CRIPPLING HEADACHES... thanks again, Jerkimus) can rebuild engines lickity split. Good for him; now go away till next issue, kiddo.

Now to Blackrock Tower, where G.B.'s diligent nightwatchman is... eating a sammich and reading Playboy?! Way to earn your paycheck, you maroon! No wonder he misses the mysterious trenchcoated figure flying up the lift shaft. Turns out it's Josie, who does a striptease for her surprised (and slightly aroused) boss. She shows him all her awesome new Circuit Breaker powers, but he still won't let her play. Awww.

Things get even worse for our hirsute hero the next day, when Jazz totally kidnaps him and then dives off a cliff with him. Yeah, like THAT'LL gain his confidence, Jazz you idio... oh, it has. That was simple!

Jazz is there later on when Blackrock finally unleashes his colossal weapon on a disbelieving crowd. Although when he has performance issues, they all laugh at him. "G.B. Blackrock hears every chuckle" indeed. True story; after that press conference, Blackrock hunted down every single person that laughed at him that day and had them killed. He can do that. He's rich, and that makes him better than you.

Anyway, the cannon's been sabotaged by Circuit Breaker, which is unfortunate seeing as that's when Frenzy and Starscream attack. Jazz (and Wheeljack, who's... also there for some reason) take them on, but Jumpin' Josie keeps blasting THEM. How unfair! And what, Circuit Breaker has to wait for her power to recharge midbattle? How? That's not how atomic batteries would work! This giant robot funnybook REALLY needs to check its science.

Still, between them they manage to run the 'Cons off, and G.B. uses his MOUSTACHE POWERS to convince Circuit Breaker not to kill his two robo-buddies. She walks off like Bill Bixby at the end of a Hulk episode, and it's left to G.B. to provide the moral of the day. "Even though she's the only one of the combatants who emerged from the battle unscathed... she's the only one who truly lost..." Now we know; and knowing is half the battle! G.I. JOOOOOEEEEEEE...

YOMTOV WATCH!
Because he cries himself to sleep

Fixed!
The Autobots are... mostly the right colours when they drive up!
Optimus Prime's headless body isn't coloured white like Ultra Magnus!

Not fixed!
Buzzsaw still looks like Laserbeak for a couple of panels!
temple
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers