Marvels ARAH: The deceased

Yo, Joe! The base of operations for your comments is open and ready for your transmissions.

Moderators: JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Mariah, shanecdavis

Postby shanecdavis » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:14 pm

Wow! That is a sexy sketch! Oh, and who is in the driver's seat? STEELER!!!!! Still would rather have Heavy Metal than that joke of a Joe Wildcard.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby abner419 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:09 pm

I think they should do cover for ARAH with ALL the fallen Joe's (maybe some November issue for Veteran's Day - it would not hurt IDW to try to connect GI Joe with the U.S. Military!)
abner419
Forum Zombie

Postby Hellstrom » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:44 pm

I would rather somebody, no make that ANYBODY, who is actually alive be featured in any Joe comic I read. Not walking dead guy zombies. But maybe that's just me. This is not a super hero comic.
The cake is a lie.
Hellstrom
Transforumer

Postby shanecdavis » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:52 am

What kind of Joe comics are you reading that have walking dead guy zombies in it Hellstrom????
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby destro! » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:32 pm

Let's face it, GJ Joe ARAH is essentially a superhero comic...instead of mutant superpowers they use weapons and ninja skills. I am ok with that, it is a comic after all.

I am very happy that IDW has taken the time to fix any disasters by explaining or correcting deaths/resurrections so they do not conflict with the timeline. If Sneak Peak was walking around unexplained then I would have dropped the title. They get thumbs up from me because they showed they cared about the fans. If they continue with this attitude then I will stick with the series until the very end.

If there were zombies walking around then I would be out :)
destro!
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Hellstrom » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:22 pm

You can say he explained the Sneak Peak thing all you want. He's doing it. That's great. But I don't think I am misreading the facebook comments as him not really thinking he needed to do so.
Plus G.I.Joe is not a superhero comic. It does not contain people who shoot lasers from their eyes and flying in the air under their own powers. Despite some other things tossed in the book over the years? That it is not.
That cover didn't get out by mistake. Least I don't think so. That was the cover and somebody saw this thread or was contacted about it by a pm. No I think they saw this and decided to change it before it saw print. Which is great as it means the editor part of the book might be kicking in finally. :lol:
The cake is a lie.
Hellstrom
Transforumer

Postby destro! » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:35 pm

Hellstrom wrote:That cover didn't get out by mistake. Least I don't think so. That was the cover and somebody saw this thread or was contacted about it by a pm. No I think they saw this and decided to change it before it saw print. Which is great as it means the editor part of the book might be kicking in finally. :lol:

That Hama guy is tricky, gotta keep an eye on him.
destro!
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby shanecdavis » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:30 pm

Hellstrom, my friend, you are running a RB6/Viceroy-like obsession with that one comment from Mr. Hama, which is exactly why I say HELL NO to Facebook. So he made a snarky comment. Big deal. If he really didn't care about his mistake or really didn't think he needed to fix it, we wouldn't be getting such a detailed story out of it. He could have done the Dusty/Sneak Peek interaction and left it at that. It's not like it's the first mistake he has made. Billy going through a race change jumps to mind.

The whole cover thing is seriously a non-issue. As we've seen so many times before, the cover art is a pretty loose interpretation of the story inside. Robert's recent cover has Duke holding Scarlett's lifeless body. Heavy Metal, Rampage, Wildcard. It doesn't matter who is on the cover, just as long as a dead guy doesn't show up inside. We can't complain about the editors not doing their job and then complain about when they do.

Can't wait to read it!!
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby destro! » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:17 pm

shanecdavis wrote: So he made a snarky comment. Big deal. If he really didn't care about his mistake or really didn't think he needed to fix it, we wouldn't be getting such a detailed story out of it.

True that. Most actors/artists in Hollywood have that snarky attitude time a million, doesn't mean you can't get past it and still be a fan.
destro!
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Hellstrom » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:30 pm

Well I have great respect for his past work. Joe, The Nam', Nth Man, Wolverine, ect. All the way up to his DDP stuff and his first Origin story. It's when you make comments like that you loose the respect of the fans. You simply shouldn't do it. Keep that to yourself. So yeah, fans can be hard to deal with, I know that, but when the fans are what buy your books? Keep the snark to yourself.
IDW's RAH book could be so much better. I still see some decent stuff their. It's just not perfect. And bringing back dead characters without an explination? I feel the fans deserve an answer when you bring back the dead. He gave it. Great. What else was he going to do let the guy walk around without doing it? His choice of course and despite the comment I feel he made the right one.
This book needs to respect the past Marvel run at the very least and if a dead guy shows up it deserves an explination. So yeah if he wants to keep readers and fans he needs to watch that type stuff. IMHO anyway.
I have the same issue with Max Brooks and the Hearts and Minds inclusion of Firefly and the comment he made about the race change. Now mind you I had NO problem with that, but the comments he made on why he did it? Yeah, not so cool. I forget exactly what he said, but it was on the same level as Larry's one to me.
I'm just trying to say that you can't alienate your fan base, or however you put it, and keep them.
The cake is a lie.
Hellstrom
Transforumer

Postby abner419 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:36 pm

Hellstrom wrote:That cover didn't get out by mistake. Least I don't think so. That was the cover and somebody saw this thread or was contacted about it by a pm. No I think they saw this and decided to change it before it saw print. Which is great as it means the editor part of the book might be kicking in finally. :lol:

Well just some FYI - I bought the original sketch in question directly from Mr. Hama, based on a scan of it he sent me the day after this thread was started and it had already been changed at that time so someone caught it, changed it, resent it to IDW, etc before this forum caught it...

We are all super fans of GI Joe or we wouldn't be here reading and posting and with that comes catching things that most other wouldn't. Just because Hama created and wrote GI Joe for many years doesn't really mean he's a super fan of GI Joe... it's a JOB for him. I can tell you I'm 20+ years younger than Mr. Hama and I know I don't remember ANYTHING I did at work 20 years ago!!!

The GI Joe run introduced more new characters than any comic ever, then the creator basically took a long break then suddenly went to work using those characters (at 60+ years old) again. We are all big fans, we all have a passion, but try to loosen up guys... mistake were made, people will make more mistakes in the future, everyone involved are still human after all. The Sneak Peek issue was corrected, this one was caught in the edit/preliminary stage so no need to panic.

We all complain and vent here on the boards, (I know I have on many occasions about damn variant covers!!!!!!) but Hama's just a man, IDW's a company there to make money, editors are human, and GI Joe's just a comic book! (Plus I'm sure someone has a complete list of fallen Joe's now!!! LOL)

Loosen up, roll with the punches, enjoy GI Joe while we have it, and safe the stress for important things like family, friends, etc!

That's my 2 cents! Yo Joe!
abner419
Forum Zombie

Postby destro! » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:28 pm

These are the Joes I know are dead from Marvel, I am an old man so I do not remember them all...feel free to add to this list.

R.I.P.

Joes:
Doc
Quick Kick
Thunder
Heavy Metal
Breaker
Crazy Legs
Battle Force 2000

Cobra:
Raptor
Croc Master
Serpentor

Other:
Kwinn
Dr.Venom
Candy
Soft Master
Blind Master
Hard Master

The Resurrected:
Storm Shadow
Cobra Commander
Sneak Peak
destro!
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby shanecdavis » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:23 am

Thats funny, I was putting together the exact same list. This is what I have:

GI JOE
Avalanche - BF2000 (Marvel #113)
Blaster - BF2000 (Marvel #113)
Blocker - BF2000 (Marvel #113)
Breaker (Marvel #109)
Cool Breeze (Marvel #112)
Crankcase (Marvel #109)
Crazy Legs (Marvel #109)
Dee-Jay - BF2000 (Marvel #113)
Doc (Marvel #109)
General Flagg (Marvel #19)
Heavy Metal (Marvel #109)
Knockdown - BF2000 (Marvel #113)
Mangler (Marvel SM #13)
Maverick - BF2000 (Marvel #113)
Quick Kick (Marvel #109)
Thunder (Marvel #109)

COBRA
Croc Master (Marvel #114)
Dr.Venom (Marvel #19)
Fred Broca I (Marvel #32)
Fred Broca VII (Marvel #114)
Madame Umbra (#143 flashback)
Professor Appel (Marvel #46)
Raptor (Marvel #114)
SAW Viper (Marvel #112)
Scar-Face (Marvel #19)
Serpentor (Marvel #76)
Voltar (Marvel #114)

OTHERS
Admiral Dyson (Marvel #53)
Blind Master (Marvel #91)
Candy Appel (Marvel #43)
Captain Minh (Marvel #114)
Colonel Brekhov - Oktober Guard (Marvel SM #26)
General Ryan (Marvel #53)
George Strawhacker (Marvel #106)
Hard Master (Marvel #26 flashback)
Horror Show - Oktober Guard (Marvel SM #26)
Magda (Marvel #145)
Metze (Marvel #151)
Kwinn (Marvel #19)
Schrage - Oktober Guard (Marvel SM #26)
Soft Master (Marvel #43)
Stormavik - Oktober Guard (Marvel SM #26)
Tyrone (Marvel #114)
White Clown (Marvel #145)

THE RESURRECTED
Baroness (Marvel #16 / Marvel #19)
Billy (Marvel #43 / Marvel #55)
Billy (Marvel #114 / Marvel #116)
COBRA Commander (Marvel #53 / Marvel #54)
COBRA Commander (Marvel #61 / Marvel #98 )
Darklon (Marvel #146 / IDW #170)
Destro (Marvel #53 / Marvel #54)
Dr. Mindbender (Marvel #114 / Marvel #140)
Dr. Venom (Marvel #12 / Marvel #13)
Firefly (Marvel #114 / Marvel #126)
Kwinn (Marvel #12 / Marvel #13)
Snake Eyes (Marvel #12 / Marvel #13)
Sneak Peak (Marvel #113 / IDW #164)
Storm Shadow (Marvel #46 / Marvel #50)
Zartan (Marvel #114 / Marvel #116)

I don't know if Baroness, COBRA Commander, Destro, Dr. Venom, Kwinn, or Snake Eyes really qualify as resurrections since their presumed deaths were more used as cliffhangers and they were revealed to be alive shortly afterwards.
shanecdavis
Transforumer

Postby destro! » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:25 pm

shanecdavis wrote:Thats funny, I was putting together the exact same list.

That list is amazing, nice work! Now to find a way to pass this along to IDW without being condescending in any way...it's really just a cheat sheet to help keep things straight and help silence us 'crazy-obsessive-compulsive-timeline' fans.
destro!
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby wildweasel_77 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:38 pm

This book needs to respect the past Marvel run at the very least and if a dead guy shows up it deserves an explination. So yeah if he wants to keep readers and fans he needs to watch that type stuff. IMHO anyway.

I totally agree with Hellstrom. I'm a long-time Joe fan since the classic Marvel days and for me continuity matters especially for a book like ARAH. IMHO, one of the most powerful issues in the Marvel run is the Battle of Benzheen in Marvel # 113 and the fateful Dusty/Sneak-Peek dynamic in that issue. So to find out that Sneak-Peek is alive and operational in the IDW ARAH, I dropped the ARAH book and stuck with the IDW-verse Joe and Cobra books instead.

I have great respect for Mr. Hama 'cause his work is a big influence on my childhood back in the 80's and 90's. However, I think editorial should raise a red flag to the writer whenever continuity glitches like this pops up. Because at the end of the day, the metrics ARAH will be measured against is the canon that the Marvel run made.

Just my two-cents' worth. :wink:
wildweasel_77
Red Shirt

PreviousNext

Return to G.I. Joe