Serpentor

Yo, Joe! The base of operations for your comments is open and ready for your transmissions.

Moderators: JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Mariah, shanecdavis

Serpentor

Postby vguzz2 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:22 am

I know the Red Shadows seem to be a favorite among many readers, but what about Serpentor. Would anyone like to see him make a return of sorts or better yet have General Rey take an evil turn and embrace his heritage somehow. Rey was turned into my favorite character.
vguzz2
Transforumer

Re: Serpentor

Postby Denyer » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:31 am

vguzz2 wrote:I know the Red Shadows seem to be a favorite among many readers

Out of curiosity, what kind of number are you attaching to "many" ?

I quite like Serpentor as a way of dividing power up a bit (because realistically, Cobra bombing their opponents into dust or poisoning a country wouldn't be that difficult if you look at the resources they're casually tossing around) but the origin could use work. DNA doesn't work that way, and we're adults now. Brainwash the guy instead.
Denyer
Transforumer

Postby pocoyo_joe » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:42 am

Denyer wrote:
vguzz2 wrote:I know the Red Shadows seem to be a favorite among many readers

Out of curiosity, what kind of number are you attaching to "many" ?

They're quite a few of us, check us out at bloodforthebaron.com (shameless plug for you there Baron!), and sure we may not number as many as US Joe fans, we certainly are a loyal bunch.

And remember they're only 300 Spartans but they still held up the Persians long enough to save the cradle of civilisation.

Something Serpentor would certainly understand given his heritage.

I know a lot of Joe fans decry Serpentor and the Cobra Laa gang, but to me Serpentor had balls and was almost the Mandalore of Cobra pretty much. A leader who led from the front, certainly the same can't be said for the Commander.
Two words my friend .... mushy peas!!!!
pocoyo_joe
Red Shirt

Postby KJ » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:59 am

pocoyo_joe wrote:
Denyer wrote:
vguzz2 wrote:And remember they're only 300 Spartans but they still held up the Persians long enough to save the cradle of civilisation.

Yeah but they had a crapload of slaves.

....you guys need slaves.
Proud Member Of The 'Resurrect Bumper' Club.

...A Club Of One.
KJ
Transforumer

Postby pocoyo_joe » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:15 am

KJ wrote:
pocoyo_joe wrote:
Denyer wrote:
vguzz2 wrote:And remember they're only 300 Spartans but they still held up the Persians long enough to save the cradle of civilisation.

But we have jamarmiller on our side, his "LOL"s are worth a hundred of your slaves :wink:
pocoyo_joe
Red Shirt

Postby Denyer » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:05 am

pocoyo_joe wrote:I know a lot of Joe fans decry Serpentor and the Cobra Laa gang

Yeah, I've always found myself in a minority in finding the movie more amusing than as a one-off drunken watch, down to the reused episode music and Cobra Commander's devolution... it's pure hokum, but it's fun.
Denyer
Transforumer

Postby Ro-Dan » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:12 am

I've always loved G.I JOE: THE MOVIE. I was just a kid when I first saw it so I guess I have a sentimental love for it. In retrospect, the entire Cobra-La concept is dumb but when I was a kid I bought into it. Besides, Burgess Meredith was the voice of Golobulus. How cool is that?

And I'll take anything from that movie over the stuff from the DIC cartoon series that followed it.
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby Jim » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:21 am

I loved the movie, but would hate to see the Cobra-La stuff anywhere near the comic. The scene where Pythona infiltrates the Terrordrome is classic!

It'll be interesting to see what Larry does with the upcoming in-pack comic that comes with the Nemesis Enforcer figure, since the comics are meant to be set in comic continuity.
If I ever say anything interesting then it's Ok to print.
Jim
Transforumer

Postby Ro-Dan » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:32 am

Jim wrote:I loved the movie, but would hate to see the Cobra-La stuff anywhere near the comic. The scene where Pythona infiltrates the Terrordrome is classic!
Agreed on both points.

Jim wrote:It'll be interesting to see what Larry does with the upcoming in-pack comic that comes with the Nemesis Enforcer figure, since the comics are meant to be set in comic continuity.
There's a Nemesis Enforcer figure coming out? Cool! Are there any pics available online? Hopefully he'll be in a slightly larger scale than the other Joe figures. The original figure was kinda weak looking when compared to his cartoon counter-part.
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby Phil Kost » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:46 am

Those who know me, know that I prefer a certain level of realism in my GI Joe stories...BUT...for some reason I always liked Serpentor. I think with the reboot, if they tweaked his origin story a bit, he would make a nice threat.

The only issue that I see is how will he and Cobra Commander co-exist. That was one of the problems with Serpentor until he took an arrow to the face...and then got kicked off a ledge...is that he caused instability in the Cobra hierarchy.

To add to this, you can't have Serpentor serve as a "second in command" as long as Destro is a full time Cobra. (Of course I have been calling for Destro and the Iron Grenadiers to be an opponent of Cobra AND GI Joe for some time.)
ANY and ALL GI Joe comics discussed at
Phil Kost
Forum Zombie

Postby jamarmiller » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:34 pm

pocoyo_joe wrote:
KJ wrote:
pocoyo_joe wrote:
Denyer wrote:

But we have jamarmiller on our side, his "LOL"s are worth a hundred of your slaves :wink:

LOL yes you do!!!

give you some numbers that are interesting to look at

The coloured versions of the Black and white original UK comics that we release weekly online for free see roughly 1000 views (at least) as story

some have seen 11,000 (see ATTACK) views

the front page sees at least 1000 views a month as well

now I dont call those numbers small in anyway!!!

The red shadow section on Joe customs is also one of the sites largest

so there is a lot of fans of the RED SHADOWS

but I still like serpentor

But I also LOVE IRON KLAW from SKAR

Personally I would like to see them all
THE ULTIMATE INTERNATIONAL SITE FOR FANS OF ACTION FORCE ( UK GI JOE), THE RED SHADOWS, and ACTION MAN
www.bloodforthebaron.com
Personal page at http://www.myspace.com/jamarandrewmiller
jamarmiller
Forum Zombie

Postby Jim » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:32 am

Ro-Dan wrote:There's a Nemesis Enforcer figure coming out? Cool! Are there any pics available online? Hopefully he'll be in a slightly larger scale than the other Joe figures. The original figure was kinda weak looking when compared to his cartoon counter-part.

I think he's in one of the new figure 2-packs, but that's all I know. No idea what he looks like or when it's out. I'm not really up to date on the figures, I'm only really interested in these new ones to find out what happens in the comics that come with them.
If I ever say anything interesting then it's Ok to print.
Jim
Transforumer

Postby pocoyo_joe » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:28 am

Jim wrote:
Ro-Dan wrote:There's a Nemesis Enforcer figure coming out? Cool! Are there any pics available online? Hopefully he'll be in a slightly larger scale than the other Joe figures. The original figure was kinda weak looking when compared to his cartoon counter-part.

I think he's in one of the new figure 2-packs, but that's all I know. No idea what he looks like or when it's out. I'm not really up to date on the figures, I'm only really interested in these new ones to find out what happens in the comics that come with them.

I think Nemesis Enforcer is supposed to pack with Lt. Falcon, which makes senses given their mutal moment of glory in GI Joe the Movie. Of course Sgt. Slaughter would have made more sense, but Falcon's a pretty cool figure and to me he'll always be Duke's kid brother.
pocoyo_joe
Red Shirt

Postby Denyer » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:58 am

jamarmiller wrote:the front page sees at least 1000 views a month as well

now I dont call those numbers small in anyway!!!

I'm assuming after discounting crawlers and that those are uniques? (Yahoo's Slurp is a particularly large waste of bandwidth for most sites, considering its frequency, patterns and that more traffic generally comes from Google.) To throw in an example, awstats reckons that last year we got through two-point-something terabytes with an average of >2500 uniques/day (> three times that in July, and you can guess why.) I wouldn't say we're one of the biggest TF sites by any stretch of the imagination.

This isn't intended as a put-down, just trying to offer perspective -- pulling in hits doesn't necessarily translate into commercial support for a project. Free is free, getting people to pay for content (especially when they're used to getting it free) a whole other ball game. IIRC (I don't pay attention to stats much, but the tech/economics of the web can be quite interesting) the most successful webcomics suggest a good return is 1% of visitors directly contributing to a site's upkeep.
Denyer
Transforumer

Postby Soundwave » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:20 pm

Not a Serpentor fan.

I prefer Cobra Commander and Destro.
Everything I post is ok to print, use, copy, use for inspiration, promote world peace, change lives, etc...and so on and so on. ;)

Rumble Eject! Operation, collateral damage.
Soundwave
Transforumer

Next

Return to G.I. Joe