The Mirror Universe

Trekkies, Trekkers, Trek-newbies, or just fans of "Free Enterprise," are all welcome here.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

The Mirror Universe

Postby Phil-A-Dendrin » Wed May 07, 2008 10:24 pm

I hope this question doesn't start a flame war. What is the big appeal of the mirror universe? The first appearance in "Mirror, Mirror" was excellent, as well as when it returned during "Deep Space Nine." But it kept showing up as the series progressed, several books have been set there. While some stories are better than others, I just don't understand the popularity. :?:
"Will you please stop farting while I'm trying to save the planet?" Ninth Doctor: Aliens of London.
Phil-A-Dendrin
Comic Book Guy

Postby Mackenzie » Thu May 08, 2008 1:09 am

Evil, sexy women. Nuff said.
Mackenzie
Red Shirt

Postby Liebkraft » Thu May 08, 2008 9:21 am

I think the problem here is what has been made of it. In 'Mirror Mirror' the idea of an evil Federation was very cool, but then the some kind of remade it to 'The Rebels of Star Trek' or something like that. While I too like the DS9-Episodes and what has been made of the Mirror-Universe by Marvel and the recent Novels (and hopefully also IDW), I like the idea from the TNG-Novel 'Dark Mirror' even better. There the Empire has never been crushed and went on conquering. The designer of the USS Titan has built upon this novel and done more story and designs for the 'Dark Mirror-Universe': http://stourangeau.deviantart.com/galle ... r-Universe

And, by the way, I have to agree with M'k'n'zy: Evil and sexy women!!!
'Play with friends, be a Hero!'
www.halle-der-helden.at (we do RPG)
Liebkraft
Forum Zombie

Postby Dan Taylor » Fri May 09, 2008 6:55 am

And goatees = evil. :twisted:
Peace...
Dan
Twitter - GeekPunk - Facebook
Dan Taylor
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Liebkraft » Fri May 09, 2008 8:36 am

:D Sorry I forgot, yes, Goatees.

Check out this: http://www.io.com/~sjohn/goatee.htm
Liebkraft
Forum Zombie

Postby Duo Maxwell » Fri May 09, 2008 10:30 am

With Deep Space Nine, the mirror universe pretty much became the vehicle in which characters who died in the regular Trek universe (lest contractual issues get in the way) could reappear for whatever MacGuffin they happen to be searching for, though the episode featuring on the Ferengi and Rom's constant proclamation of "it's alternate" (or words to that effect) was just utterly annoying. On the flip side, it was also the vehicle in which the writers could kill off regular characters without having an impact on the regular universe.

With Enterprise, it wasn't so much that it was a view of the Enterprise-era mirror universe, but classic Trek elements with a Constitution class ship and the retro (and neo-retro) sets.

Other than that, I think the original "Mirror Mirror" episode was the best of the bunch. The DS9 episodes, with the exception of "The Emperor's New Cloak" were okay, but where the hell was Odo's (or even Intendant Kira's) goatee in "Crossover"?
The preceding post is OK to print.
Duo Maxwell
Transforumer

Postby DanielW » Fri May 09, 2008 4:30 pm

The idea of a corrupt and evil Federation was a good one, ripe for exploration. SADLY DS9 turned it into "valiant human rebels against evil aliens" IMO. The only good things about the DS9 version was Nana Visitor in a tight fitting leather costume being sexy and evil and that O'Brien got a chance to shine as the lead rebel.
BUT with the exception of the Ferengi, if you're an alien in the DS9 Mirror Universe you're a bad guy, and if you're human you're a good guy - if a little amoral (ie mirror Bashir).
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby Liebkraft » Sat May 10, 2008 4:41 am

thank god the new DS9 (set after series) Novels get it a bit right again. In 'Warpath' you can find a new and very cool aproach to the Mirror Universe and the two Novels featuring it also had good ideas. I hope this will continue in 'Fearful Symmetry' and the following 'Mirror Universe Vo. III' up to 'Star Trek Destiny'
Liebkraft
Forum Zombie

Return to Star Trek