Chris and Shane:Q and A Thread

Transformers is here! Discuss anything TF-related.

Moderators: ladywreck, tronprogram, bassbot, Ryall, JohnBarber, Cattleprod, CarlosG86

Postby KJ » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:09 am

15. 'Drivaar' has a smiley kind of question for Chris:

Q.What has brought you the most satisfaction (or at least the biggest grin!) since IDW started their TF run?
Proud Member Of The 'Resurrect Bumper' Club.

...A Club Of One.
KJ
Transforumer

16. 'Oneshallstand' asks:

Q. Are there plans for a wave of Decepticon spotlights to counter balance the current releases which are five Autobots?

...A Club Of One.
KJ
Transforumer

17. 'Uz000's curious about the editorial process:

Q.How do you decide whether a new IDW TF writer should be given a mini series or a Spotlight? Stuart Moore has written Batman and Firestorm for DC and Avengers/TF for Marvel and gets a single IDW Spotlight. Eric Holmes had no comic experience that I am aware of and was given the job of writing the IDW Origin of Megatron

...A Club Of One.
KJ
Transforumer

Postby KJ » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:10 am

18. From 'Oracle1984':

Q.In the AHM press release, Chris says "Shane’s story hearkens back to the greatest stories in TRANSFORMERS history, while still feeling vibrant and excitingly new. "

I'm just curious -- Chris, which stories did you have in mind? What, in your view, makes them great?

...A Club Of One.
KJ
Transforumer

19. 'Rich' has a 2-parter:

Q. a) In the press release it states that AHM will include 'an all-new Transformers character' is this character a Transformer?

b) If the answer to the above is 'yes', does 'all-new' mean a character that has never before existed in any form or does it just mean new to the IDW continuity

...A Club Of One.
KJ
Transforumer

20.'Baximal' has been been reading Simon Furman's blog:

Q.When can we expect news about the rumoured 'The 13' story?

...A Club Of One.
KJ
Transforumer

Postby KJ » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:11 am

21. This person wished to remain anonymous:

Q.Have you ever looked at the Mosaics for potential talent?

...A Club Of One.
KJ
Transforumer

Postby KJ » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:11 am

22. From Grimbo:

Q.Any chance of a Dinobots mini-series? Preferably an Origins tale?

...A Club Of One.
KJ
Transforumer

Postby KJ » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:12 am

23. I've got one for Chris:

Q.Is Megatron:Origin considered canon? Ie in continuity with the main IDW G1verse?

...A Club Of One.
KJ
Transforumer

24. Chris, Shane, you knew this one had to be coming!

Q.Why the switch from F-22 to F-15 alternate modes for the seekers?

...A Club Of One.
KJ
Transforumer

25. And finally, any new art we can see?

...A Club Of One.
KJ
Transforumer

Postby Ryall » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:46 am

KJ wrote:1. 'Skids' asked:

Q. Will we be seeing any stories outside the main core of characters already established? Not just Spotlights but something in the wider universe, a mini series for example along the lines of

'Meanwhile on Ryglus IV '....

First of all, thanks to KJ for organizing and setting up this whole thing. Aaaaand now, here we go. I'll answer as I'm able but likely can't do all at once.

For this first one, I prefer to keep things on Earth for a while. The whole thrust of AHM is to make the title more accessible to people and I think we start to scare away people if we get too cosmic and too spread out too often. I remember saying at the start that I wanted epic, cosmic stories to feel earned, and I still feel that way. Plus, I feel like there's so much good potential to still be mined from the conflict between giant alien robots and regular human beings, especially now that the only real chance of stopping the robots, the Autobots, have been somehow removed from the picture.

Simon's stories will still be spread across the galaxy, so anyone jonesin' for that, too, will find it. And I know that AHM will also eventually take us to another world, too.

And in our movie comics, The Reign of Starscream spans Earth to Mars to Cybertron, too.

It's easy to lose sense of scope and scale when the stories take place too far away from what we know, that's what it comes down to.
Chris Ryall
Chief Creative Officer/Editor-in-Chief
IDW Publishing
Ryall
Transforumer

Postby Ryall » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:48 am

KJ wrote:2. From 'Richter':

Q.Still no chance of doing more with the original cartoon universe?

Shane's characters have a bit in common with the cartoon universe, but no, I don't see the point in looking back to such a degree, not with our current G1 universe so established, and the movie universe, and now comics coming that are set in the new animated world as well. The animated show was a great moment in time but I don't have any particular desire to dwell there now.
Chris Ryall
IDW Publishing
Ryall
Transforumer

Postby Ryall » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:53 am

KJ wrote:3. Oracle1984 was the first to pose this one:

Q.Why are we wrapping up the -ion run with 4 spotlights? Seems fairly abrupt. Is Simon burned out on it? Or is this an editorial decision to seek new direction?

Simon's not burned at all. And I don't agree with "abrupt" when you consider that there's been over two dozen stories telling this same story. But the decision to look to tie that up and look at new directions started with me.

Realistically, it's like any book on the market--sales start at a point and then they slowly dip until things are done to re-invigorate them. Every title has the same cycle--Spider-Man, Superman, name it. The reason why the Big Two do so many event books now is that they juice up sales on books. Hulk wasn't exactly lighting up the charts before Planet Hulk and then World War Hulk. And so on. Not to be too straightword businessy about this, but or the long-term solvency of any brand, you need to shake things up that get a title more attention, new readers, and new sales.

At the same time, we have lots of other plans with Simon, and we're not slamming the door on everything forever, but the reality is that sales numbers need to stay steady for a book to stay on the market. This isn't to say that things were by any means dire--they weren't at all--but we do need to occasionally mix things up so people don't just take a book for granted.
Chris Ryall
IDW Publishing
Ryall
Transforumer

Postby Ryall » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:01 am

KJ wrote:4. Alright, here's one for both Chris and Shane, courtesy of 'Repugnus'.

Q.How does the influx of writers contributing to IDW's TF universe affect Simon's plans? Do the other writers have to get their story approved by Simon, or does he have to adjust his "master plan" to accomodate new stories that get the green light?

You folks do realize that Simon is a freelance writer, right? I don't mean anything snarky by that, and Simon is still, as I say, heavily involved in multiple projects and I dearly love the guy. And Simon has been good enough to offer suggestions and advice on projects he wasn't writing. But beyond that, Simon is not beholden to the company or on staff as an editor. He'd never want that. And just like Simon is free to write Terminator 2 comics or even Titan's TF comics without clearing them with me, the converse is true, too. I want unity and agreement on the storylines but at the end of the day, my responsibility is to Hasbro's Transformers brand, and I'm charged with doing what is best for that brand.

At the same time, Simon isn't for the most part asked to change his stories to fit with a master plan, either. I did need to limit the length of "-tion" storylines but all plans on all books change and evolve from where they started, especially one that was initially developed over 2 years ago.

I really don't know where the "influx" thought comes from, either way. Simon's written 90% of all our new TF comics since we started. Eric Holmes doing a mini, and a couple different Spotlights don't really make for an influx. I think any comic line benefits form multiple voices.
Chris Ryall
IDW Publishing
Ryall
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers