Official Polling Questions for Ryall Q and A: You Decide!

Transformers is here! Discuss anything TF-related.

Moderators: ladywreck, tronprogram, bassbot, Ryall, JohnBarber, Cattleprod, CarlosG86

Postby polystyleneman » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:24 pm

Denyer wrote:
Oracle1984 wrote:Its Furman's definitive take on Prime's origins.

Disagree -- it's a thin rehash of the Hot Rod "here's the matrix, get a free upgrade, now deal with it" origin.

Prime gets character and leadership progression in State Games, What's In A Name, Flames Of Boltax, Surrender, And There Shall Come A Leader, etc. and rises quickly through the ranks on merit. Not all of the stories were by Furman, but he was the person tying those threads together.

I'd rather have the Autobots as a society that rewards soldiers who're good at their jobs than one dealing in prophecy and chosen ones.

I seem to remember reading Furman somewhere say that one of the defining factors of IDW transformers would be putting a new spin on old characters. If that's the case wouldn' t a new origin for one of the most inportant characters to get a redone story? Especially since Prime in IDW doesn't seem to be the self-doubting insecure dude he always was before in comics.
polystyleneman
Transforumer

Postby Denyer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:30 pm

polystyleneman wrote:If that's the case wouldn' t a new origin for one of the most inportant characters to get a redone story?

Yeah. Although frankly I'd take anything that wasn't the Hot Rod / War Within Prime one -- handing people big bits of blue crystal, much like strange women lying in ponds distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government.

Oh, and please no "he's Megatron's brother"...
Denyer
Transforumer

Postby Oracle1984 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:54 pm

I'm not saying WW is the end all be all, nor do I think it likely that IDW actually would adopt it as part of their own continuity -- and WW's conception of a Prime is inconsistent with Megatron Origin's conception of a Prime, so they can't both hang together -- rather I'm just saying that when it comes to exploring Prime's origins, Furman's "been there, done that," so I wouldn't expect to see him do it again. (And as far as Furman's concerned, his view might be that his WW origin hangs together with the IDW/verse just fine, although with where he's going with the Matrix and the Dead Universe story in Revelation, I seriously doubt it.)

But never say never -- certainly there are some seeds in Spotlight OP that he could explore. And perhaps more to come with Nemesis Prime in the Revelations Saga. I certainly don't disagree that strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords (or even glowing bobbles) is no basis for a system of government. Of course, if you believe Megatron Origin, it wasn't the Prime's job to run a government, just a security force -- wonder what happened to the government, not to mention the civilians.

IDW, of course, could have someone else explore Optimus's distant past. Though given the angst that has been expressed over Megatron Origin, and the apprehensiveness some have expressed over a new writer taking over the ongoing in AHM, I shudder to think what the reaction might be if IDW announced that someone other than Furman was going to write the continuity's official OP backstory.

Lastly, given that WW is out there, I wonder how much of an appetite there is for yet another story on the origins of Prime. To be sure, others could be written that could be better, and that could explain his origins in the IDW continuity. But its a big universe of Transformers out there -- hate to see the stories go back to the same well too often. My guess is that it will be some time before we'd see a full-blown OP backstory in this continuity, and it will be because Ryall gets an inspired script from someone aching to do it.

Postscript -- you guys are rough on 'ole Hot Rod/imus. While its a nonsensical name (Rodimus), the animated movie was pretty clever, if not downright inspired, even if (or perhaps because) they had a mandate to eliminate the entire 1984/1985 toy line. And it had a plot that hung together (unlike some other Transformers movie, albeit one that scored a gazzillion dollars more at the box office).
September 17, 1984. MTME Part I. The world changed forever.
---------------------------
"Nobody ever died for a typewriter." Road-Block, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero (Marvel) #69 (p.4)
(Okay to print)
Oracle1984
Transforumer

Postby Oracle1984 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:20 pm

Oracle1984 wrote:Of course, if you believe Megatron Origin, it wasn't the Prime's job to run a government, just a security force -- wonder what happened to the government, not to mention the civilians.

hmmm. Not to make a habit of quoting myself, but that just gave me an idea. We know this continuity's Optimus can be downright ruthless -- not wanting to get too close to the humans because he might not be able to protect their world, pulling out of earth because of a more pressing mission. So just what did happen to the civilian government on Cybertron as the war waged on? Could it be that, for the sake of the mission, Optimus was led to more or less stage a military coup? Push aside the fat and lazy politicians due to the exigencies of war? Take over through the exercise of marshal law? Conscript civilians into the Autobot forces? All for the sake of defeating the Decepticons and restoring peace and freedom, of course. hmmm. Maybe an Optimus Origin wouldn't be old hat after all. And maybe it would give us an Optimus that wasn't entirely familiar, and that we wouldn't be so sure we completely liked.
"Nobody ever died for a typewriter." Road-Block, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero (Marvel) #69 (p.4)
(Okay to print)
Oracle1984
Transforumer

Postby General Tekno » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:50 pm

See, my theory is that once Nova Prime left, there was a power vacuum.

Odds are he left an interim council of Cybertronians in his stead. After all, he was expecting to return to Cybertron.

And once he never returned, they decided to appoint a new Prime- only this time, to serve as more of a symbolic figurehead. Since the senate did not wish to cede power.

Best part about this is that it makes all Primes past Nova technically illegitimate :).
Big Time Toons - updated Tuesdays!

And what I say is OK to Print!
General Tekno
Transforumer

Postby Elensaar » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:19 am

General Tekno wrote:See, my theory is that once Nova Prime left, there was a power vacuum.

Odds are he left an interim council of Cybertronians in his stead. After all, he was expecting to return to Cybertron.

And once he never returned, they decided to appoint a new Prime- only this time, to serve as more of a symbolic figurehead. Since the senate did not wish to cede power.

Best part about this is that it makes all Primes past Nova technically illegitimate :).

This is somewhere along the lines of thought I've been having about this, at least. OP does say in his Spotlight that the Primes are the guardians of the Matrix, but the Matrix is gone along with Nova Prime...

It seems to me that as all communication with the first Ark was lost the administration (You can't expect the Prime to run everything all the time, right?) took over as some sort of senate/council. All in good intentions, of course. ;) They then selected the new Prime (wasn't that Sentinel?) as a sort of figurehead, probably arguing along the lines of: "Look what happened when a Prime disappeared without succesion! Chaos and so forth. Can't risk that again, so no power for you!"

I am intrigued as to what happened after Megatrons uprising and before today though. There doesn't seem to be any Cybertronians left that are not either Decepticons or Autobots... And Prime seems to be the actual leader again, not just a figurehead... I think we need a OP:Origin, or at least some sort of sequel to M:O, so we can find out more about what happened in between here!
OK to print
Elensaar
Forum Zombie

Postby World Prime » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:04 am

I honestly don't see why people like WWI so much. Maybe I need to re-read it? I thought the origin story was poorly conceived (hand some jerk a shiny light and wish him good luck, also what's with that lame "council of elders" thingy?), and the art STYLE (not knocking the artists, I think they did a great job) was very uninteresting and Megatron looked terrible.

I for one won't be devastated if they don't do an Origins sequel, but I would certainly be happy if they do. I'm most interested right now in the origin of Nova Prime, but I have a feeling we'll be learning a bit more about that come Revelations. :)
loadagain.deviantart.com
Don'ts:
1) Using "to" when it should be "too"
2) Saying something "peaked" your curiosity, when in fact your curiosity was "piqued".
World Prime
Transforumer

Postby KJ » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:05 am

World Prime wrote:I honestly don't see why people like WWI so much. Maybe I need to re-read it? I thought the origin story was poorly conceived (hand some jerk a shiny light and wish him good luck, also what's with that lame "council of elders" thingy?), and the art STYLE (not knocking the artists, I think they did a great job) was very uninteresting and Megatron looked terrible.

I for one won't be devastated if they don't do an Origins sequel, but I would certainly be happy if they do. I'm most interested right now in the origin of Nova Prime, but I have a feeling we'll be learning a bit more about that come Revelations. :)

I love War Within for the look at the whole war, and the nice view of all the different soldiers and their campaigns.
The Prime stuff doesn't really interest me, apart from his talk with Bluestreak at the start.
It's the other characters I'm interested in.
Though it does have one of the worst lines I've ever read in a TF comic. The 'Dance assassin.' 'dance right into your grave' by Hound is just awful, but then again, I doubt Hound would be a very funny bot anyway.
Proud Member Of The 'Resurrect Bumper' Club.

...A Club Of One.
KJ
Transforumer

Postby polystyleneman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:46 am

World Prime wrote:I for one won't be devastated if they don't do an Origins sequel, but I would certainly be happy if they do. I'm most interested right now in the origin of Nova Prime, but I have a feeling we'll be learning a bit more about that come Revelations. :)

Myself, I just hope to see anything with Nova Prime and Jhiaxus over with as soon as possible.

KJ wrote:Though it does have one of the worst lines I've ever read in a TF comic. The 'Dance assassin.' 'dance right into your grave' by Hound is just awful, but then again, I doubt Hound would be a very funny bot anyway.

Worst line ever? How do you narrow down that list? :wink:
polystyleneman
Transforumer

Postby Roboto » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:04 pm

And here it is for Shane:

Why the switch from F-22 to F-15 alternate modes for the seekers?[/b]
Last edited by Roboto on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formally known as the Lurker on the OLD boards
Roboto
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby polystyleneman » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:18 pm

:D
polystyleneman
Transforumer

Postby General Tekno » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:44 pm

Roboto wrote:And here it is:

Why the switch from F-22 to F-15 alternate modes for the seekers?

I asked that pages ago.

Still, a valid question. And I expect all we'll get right now is "You'll see".

I'd like to ask another though - what's up with Ratbat? He showed up for one page in Devastastion 1, and that's it. No explanations.
Big Time Toons - updated Tuesdays!

And what I say is OK to Print!
General Tekno
Transforumer

Postby KJ » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:12 am

Guys, if you have a question for Shane, please ask it in this thread still, but just mark it as 'For Shane.'

Just so we can make sure the right questions go to the right person.

8)
Proud Member Of The 'Resurrect Bumper' Club.

...A Club Of One.
KJ
Transforumer

Postby skids » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:22 am

Is there any character that you would find it difficult to fit into IDW's continuity without major rewrites of their character ?

For example Slapdash would seem to be only kept functioning by having a powermaster to look after him. So a non powermaster Slapdash should by rights died/ been abandoned by his own team mates/ locked up for his own good a long time ago .
skids
Transforumer

Postby Oracle1984 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:25 am

I may have asked this already, but what's Simon's next IDW Transformers project after the Revelations Saga?
(Okay to print)
Oracle1984
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers