Official IDW Star Trek Q&A Thread

Trekkies, Trekkers, Trek-newbies, or just fans of "Free Enterprise," are all welcome here.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

Official IDW Star Trek Q&A Thread

Postby Dan Taylor » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:24 pm

Alright gang...

I promised an "official" Q&A thread for IDW's Star Trek titles once the new boards were up, so... Fire away with the questions.

I'll do my best to answer what I can as often as I can.
Peace...
Dan
Twitter - GeekPunk - Facebook
Dan Taylor
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Ralph Burns » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:50 pm

What are the chances of Peter David on a Trek comic? IIRC he's currently on an exclusive with Marvel, but you never know, I suppose.

-Ralph
Ralph Burns
Forum Zombie

Postby AndyTurnbull » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:03 pm

I know at the moment you only have the license for TOS and TNG but are there any plans to acquire the license for DS9 at any point?

Andy
AndyTurnbull
Forum Zombie

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:12 pm

How rigid is the license stuff? Would you be able to do something like have a changeling in a TNG comic?
Beachcomber
Transforumer

Postby Dan Taylor » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:14 pm

Ralph Burns wrote:What are the chances of Peter David on a Trek comic? IIRC he's currently on an exclusive with Marvel, but you never know, I suppose.

-Ralph

We've talked about it -- with David, even. He is currently exclusive at Marvel, but it's not completely out of the realm of possibilities. I think it would be an interesting New Frontier to explore. As of right now, nothing is currently on the schedule.
Peace...
Dan
Dan Taylor
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Dan Taylor » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:16 pm

AndyTurnbull wrote:I know at the moment you only have the license for TOS and TNG but are there any plans to acquire the license for DS9 at any point?

Andy

If the sales of TOS and TNG series warrant doing DS9 I would be all for it. I love my DS9. Now would we explore an 8th season, or do stories set during the inititial 7 season run...?
Peace...
Dan
Dan Taylor
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:15 pm

Dan Taylor wrote:If the sales of TOS and TNG series warrant doing DS9 I would be all for it. I love my DS9. Now would we explore an 8th season, or do stories set during the inititial 7 season run...?

Yes.
Beachcomber
Transforumer

Postby 8of5 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:25 pm

Hmmm, ok:

*Can you confirm the date of 2296 given at the end of Captain's Pleasure was an error? That would put the columbia in service for 150 years if not!

*Are the four issues annouced for Alien Spotlight the end of that adventure for now or just the first four with more to come? And is to early to ask which issues are TOS or TNG ones?

*Everyone asks about Peter David, how about other established Trek folk. Dan Abnett and Ian Edginton who amongst other stuff wrote Marvel's Early Voyages series. Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin who also did work for Marvel and have done many novel for Pocket Books. Keith R. A. DeCandido who has done comics before for Wildstorm and many a novel too. SD Perry to my knowledge hasn't done any cmics before but she's done some cracking novels. Or how about getting some of the TV gang in, Manny Coto to write an Enterprise series maybe?

*Any plans for graphic novels?

*I've asked before on the old forum, but for the sake of persistentcey, any chance of crossovers/colaborations with Pocket Books (Novels), Tokyopop (Manga) or even Bethesda Softworks (computer games)?

And I shall stop before this turns into to much of a wish list.
Numerically challenged drone
8of5's Star Trek blog -- Updated October 14.
8of5
Forum Zombie

Postby Murloch of House Torak » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:57 pm

I'm curious are you planning any ongoing series? Or are the plans set just for mini-series?
I'm a huge Klingon fan and have always thought it would make great basis for an ongoing comic......any chances.
Murloch of House Torak
Comic Book Guy

Postby DanielW » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:18 am

Murloch of House Torak wrote:I'm curious are you planning any ongoing series? Or are the plans set just for mini-series?
I'm a huge Klingon fan and have always thought it would make great basis for an ongoing comic......any chances.

Klingons: Blood Will Tell will be right up your alley mate.
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby Prime Nova » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:12 am

I've never bought a Startrek comic - but I have the whole Startrek fact file.
Prime Nova
Forum Zombie

Postby Denyer » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:29 am

Dan Taylor wrote:We've talked about it -- with David, even. He is currently exclusive at Marvel, but it's not completely out of the realm of possibilities. I think it would be an interesting New Frontier to explore.

Indeed.
Denyer
Transforumer

Postby Murloch of House Torak » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:37 am

Yes, I'm very excited about that limited series. Once I heard about "Blood will Tell" I immediately contacted Klingon interested friends of mine (who don't read comics) and they all want me to let them know once it hits shelves.

But still any chance of a monthly on going series? Either IKS Gorkon based or totally original?
How about "The Adventures of Kurn", Worf's little brother before they met? :twisted:
That type of thing.
Murloch of House Torak
Comic Book Guy

Postby Dan Taylor » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:24 pm

Beachcomber wrote:How rigid is the license stuff? Would you be able to do something like have a changeling in a TNG comic?

Without getting into specific details of the license, it's safe to assume that whoever or whatever was featured in a TNG episode would be okay to use in a TNG comic. The same goes for TOS. Though that's not to say that we might not be able to pull a tribble out of our hat every once in awhile as long as it made sense.
Peace...
Dan
Dan Taylor
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Dan Taylor » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:37 pm

8of5 wrote:*Can you confirm the date of 2296 given at the end of Captain's Pleasure was an error? That would put the columbia in service for 150 years if not!

I'm not confirming the date, but come up with a clever reason for the date given and you'll win a No Prize.

8of5 wrote:*Are the four issues annouced for Alien Spotlight the end of that adventure for now or just the first four with more to come? And is to early to ask which issues are TOS or TNG ones?

The initial Alien Spotlight series will be six issues and will feature Borg, Romulans, Vulcans, Gorn, Andorians, and Orions.

8of5 wrote:*Everyone asks about Peter David, how about other established Trek folk. Dan Abnett and Ian Edginton who amongst other stuff wrote Marvel's Early Voyages series. Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin who also did work for Marvel and have done many novel for Pocket Books. Keith R. A. DeCandido who has done comics before for Wildstorm and many a novel too. SD Perry to my knowledge hasn't done any cmics before but she's done some cracking novels. Or how about getting some of the TV gang in, Manny Coto to write an Enterprise series maybe?

I've had conversations with Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin, as well as Keith R.A. DeCandido. Since we're just getting started with the license we don't have anything scheduled yet with these writers. There are no plans for an Enterprise series (as much as I'd like to do one) at this time.

8of5 wrote:*Any plans for graphic novels?

All of our miniseries are collected in trade paperback format.

8of5 wrote:*I've asked before on the old forum, but for the sake of persistentcey, any chance of crossovers/colaborations with Pocket Books (Novels), Tokyopop (Manga) or even Bethesda Softworks (computer games)?

Nothing is planned yet as far as crossovers with other publishers -- though I think a project with Pocket Books might be interesting to consider.
Peace...
Dan
Dan Taylor
I'm kind of a big deal

Next

Return to Star Trek