ROUND TWO VOTING: MARISSA FAIREBORN

This is the place to show us what you can do. Post your best shots, covers, sequential art, whatever you'd like And yes, this includes Fan-Fic, too (but not Slash-Fic)...

Moderators: tronprogram, JohnBarber, CarlosG86, Bobby Curnow, Denton J. Tipton, Mariah, Richter, Beachcomber

YOUR CHOICE FOR BEST COVER

Poll ended at Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:13 am

#401 AIDAN O’CARROLL
2%
#402 ANDREW GRIFFITH
47%
#403 ANTHONY BRIAN CRUZ
8%
#404 CHRISTIE MAJORS
21%
#405 CHRISTOPHER HOLMES
1%
#406 DAVID C AYLING
2%
#408 JAMES KINGSELLER
1%
#409 JAMES LYNCH
3%
#411 PETER ISTYLE
7%
#412 RYAN WILTON
9%

Total votes : 124

Postby slartibartfast » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:30 pm

:shock: - awesomz0r. Major win and general aces on the rampage in here. congratulations everyone.

kriksix wrote:Aaarrgh. Edward Stott's my favourite. Again. And I can't vote coz of a late entry. shame, dude

The Perceptor piece is my favourite so far from the whole competition.

Definitely the best Marissa entry too

oh well.. will ave a think..

Sumito

:oops: - holy moly... thanks dude, what a mind-blowing compliment ! You're seriously tempting me to go back and re-ink percy... I don't know what else to say... wow.

bloodandsteel wrote:EDWARD SCOTT - I really like the layout idea with the folder and photos, but the overall drawing style used just leaves them looking like a mish-mash of random photos. I have no idea what is going on in the top photo. The only indication I'm getting that this is anywhere near Canada or British Coloumbia is the leaf in the corner of the postcard that kind of looks like Beachcomer carved into a mountain.....

:) - thank you for your opinion and criticism. Much appreciated. I feel that there are a number of points that do warrant an explanation, mostly to fill in the gaps as the version of the cover that was submitted unfinished with about 3/4 of the inks done. I'll post the final version once it won't distract from the official contest.
so here's a little bit of reading matter, for those who are interested :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadman%27 ... ncouver%29 : EDC headquarters ? (Soon to cease to be military property, so many a secret to be found)
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k83/s ... statue.jpg
I was wondering if any of you vancouverians recognised the lord Stanley kali robot. He was supposed to be a metaphor for the goddess of death (in popular culture... <-disclaimer) and the technology of EDC. Like a mascot, or marissas' little pet. I liked to idea that he could spring to life and sprout sh*tloads of arms with guns in contrast to the statue and its' welcoming plaque. A sentinal in disguise born from the collaboration between autobot and human.

oh, and the canadian flag is part of a banner that protestors are carrying, as they're on the autobots side, the idea being that Marissa and EDC are protecting them all from the official army. Vancouver is their bastion.

Does that make any sense ?

Does Marissa have hairy pits?

:wink: - yeah. A true red head.

I wanted her to be ruthless, professional... and butch.
slartibartfast
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Oracle1984 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:02 pm

Wow -- all of these cover designs are really well done. Some real talent out there.
September 17, 1984. MTME Part I. The world changed forever.
---------------------------
"Nobody ever died for a typewriter." Road-Block, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero (Marvel) #69 (p.4)
---------------------------
(Okay to print)
Oracle1984
Transforumer

Postby bloodandsteel » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:09 pm

slartibartfast wrote:Does that make any sense ?

Does Marissa have hairy pits?

:wink: - yeah. A true red head.

I wanted her to be ruthless, professional... and butch.

LOL That helps XD Kind of sad to know how ignorant some people are. Shame on me :lol: But yeah, with the explanation and the additional info, it does make a lot more sense. Very creative 8)
bloodandsteel
Transforumer

!

Postby pietrestan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:22 pm

excellent work, everyone. i must say, it was a difficult decision.
i was curious about this one in particular because i wanted to
see how many of the mostly male artists could avoid going for the overt
t&a angle in at least some way.

while everyone really did do a bang-up job, i narrowed it down to
mister griffith, miss majors... and edward scott. it's a
shame edward scott's came in too late, because i think he again
came up with a very innovative and stylized design.

(and i'm sure it's already been stated somewhere above, but
that's josh and shaun in andrew griffith's, no?)
now with more giant robots:
http://pietrestan.deviantart.com
pietrestan
Forum Zombie

Re: !

Postby bloodandsteel » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:27 pm

pietrestan wrote:(and i'm sure it's already been stated somewhere above, but
that's josh and shaun in andrew griffith's, no?)

Yup, sure is XD
bloodandsteel
Transforumer

Marissa Fairborne Round Two

Postby shalako » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:43 pm

Wow Andrew you have really covered all the rules.
Excellant Well Done
Keep up the good Work.
shalako
Private

Postby zhgingaah » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:20 am

Jeysie wrote:
Beachcomber wrote:There's absolutely nothing about this assignment that adds up to such an outrageous accusation. Not the Bots in it, not the City it takes place in or the redheaded Transformers babe getting the spotlight.

XD I'm certainly not complaining about having two redheads as Spotlight characters in this contest. ;) (*has a soft spot for red hair*)

*Joins Your Gang* :wink:

And yeah, Andrew's getting my vote - It's all about the boobies! LOL

Sorry, that's not fair - There are a lot of INCREDIBLE pieces in this round... I'll edit this later and critique a bit more constructively, but yeah, well done folks!
*All my nonsense tapped out here is okay to print*
zhgingaah
Transforumer

Postby Housewife2000 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:55 am

Wow, this is an amazing selection of work. My top 3 have to be:

Andrew Griffith - Awesome inking, superb composition and a brilliant idea for the story. If I had to pick a fault, I'd say Bluestreak's face and hands almost come off too detailed in relation to the line thickness on the human figures, but overall this is an amazing piece.

Christie Majors - Very dynamic and a nice use of the split image to help sell the story. Putting Faireborn on Bluestreak's hood, Death Proof style, is inspired, and your Beachcomber is a perfect fit with the IDW designs. The only complaint, as mentioned by others, is that I'm not sold on the location. Otherwise, absolutely brilliant.

Ryan Wilton - Great inking and a nice composition. You've got a really dynamic style and it sells the idea well.

Finally, honourable mentions to:

Peter Istyle - brilliant composition and the story hook is fascinating. My first thought is that the Autobots are the bad guys, having cloned / kidnapped humans and branded them, and Beachcomber is upset that Marissa has stumbled on their secret. Bluestreak, on the other hand, looks like he's ready to eliminate her... Nice.

Anthony Brian Cruz - I really like you re-designs, I just don't think they fit that well with the IDW continuity. Very nice though, and I'd love to see more.

Edward Scott - A very different and a very daring style. Personally, I love it, and can't wait to see it and the Perceptor cover in colour.
Housewife2000
Comic Book Guy

Postby Straya » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:51 am

Housewife2000 wrote:Christie Majors - Very dynamic and a nice use of the split image to help sell the story. Putting Faireborn on Bluestreak's hood, Death Proof style, is inspired, and your Beachcomber is a perfect fit with the IDW designs. The only complaint, as mentioned by others, is that I'm not sold on the location. Otherwise, absolutely brilliant.

Thanks for the crit! And I do agree with you about the location issue... I fell in love with Siwash Rock when I found images of it and I really, really wanted to put a speeding Bluestreak on that road. Only problem was that I think things got a tad crammed on the bottom half and Beachcomber's covering up too much of the Rock, itself.

Gonna have to say this one was a nice lesson in layout, though... I did all the layout digitally this time and it went a lot smoother than playing with photocopies and such in Round 1. (Inking on this one was almost wholly by hand, though. Blue's hood and plate, and the black backdrop were done in Photoshop...if just because I didn't want to get high on black marker and text is easier to do digitally.)
Straya
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Armamentfactory » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:08 pm

Housewife2000 wrote:Anthony Brian Cruz - I really like you re-designs, I just don't think they fit that well with the IDW continuity. Very nice though, and I'd love to see more.

well, i figured somebody would knock me outta round 2, so i took a shot with my designs :D

would "shock & awe the audience with radical re-designs" work as an excuse?
:lol:

i regret nothing! :wink: :D
this toaster's smarter than me & you...
http://armamentfactory.deviantart.com/
Armamentfactory
Slayer

Postby Novastorm » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:48 pm

Very impressive entries all. Will have to mull this over a bit before casting a vote. This is difficult. But have to admit , I am very weak when it comes to T&A. The more gratuitous the better. I used to try to think I was above that but I stopped fighting that some time ago and accepted it. :D
Novastorm
Transforumer

Postby DaveDestron » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:26 am

Novastorm wrote:Very impressive entries all. Will have to mull this over a bit before casting a vote. This is difficult. But have to admit , I am very weak when it comes to T&A. The more gratuitous the better. I used to try to think I was above that but I stopped fighting that some time ago and accepted it. :D

No man is gonna blink at your admission!
DaveDestron
Forum Zombie

Postby polystyleneman » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:36 am

DaveDestron wrote:
Novastorm wrote:Very impressive entries all. Will have to mull this over a bit before casting a vote. This is difficult. But have to admit , I am very weak when it comes to T&A. The more gratuitous the better. I used to try to think I was above that but I stopped fighting that some time ago and accepted it. :D

No man is gonna blink at your admission!

And most comic book artists bank on it! :P
polystyleneman
Transforumer

Postby synapse » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:58 am

Pity that Michael Joe's a late entry. I really liked his cover :)

Ryan Wilton gets my vote here :)
Everything I post is ok to print

synapse
Transforumer

Postby Novastorm » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:11 pm

polystyleneman wrote:And most comic book artists bank on it! :P
And you got my vote. But even when I got past the boobs I saw a stellar piece of artwork. :twisted: Well done!
Novastorm
Transforumer

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Art