dear sirs concerning g.i. joe volume four...

Discuss newly solicited books, current IDW titles, or anything else randomly related to IDW and their slate of books.

Moderators: Ryall, JohnBarber, Bobby Curnow, Denton J. Tipton, Mariah

dear sirs concerning g.i. joe volume four...

Postby cashel » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:02 pm

please, for the love of my handicapped mother (she has the rearview hangee but its not really her's--its her mother's but i digress) DON'T REBOOT g.i. joe !!!!

i'm already crying myself to sleep at night at the mere thought of not knbowing what happens after ww 3 other than a big franklin stuffing us in a rubber ball and playing beyonder with us in liefeldian ways.

save the 26 year history of comic g.i. joe, tell hasbro us geezers still vote and eat cap n' crunch.

peace except when it comes to reboots... then i post and post and post a little more.
Join the revolution. Support "IMAGINARY DRUGS" and "BLANK WALLS". SEE WHAT LIES BEYOND SUPERHEROES! FEED YOUR BRAIN!
cashel
Transforumer

Postby DanielW » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:16 pm

Rightio then.... :?
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby KJ » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:15 am

TF fans were doing the same gnashing of the teeth when IDW got the license.
We've ended up with a fantastic product, rivalling the best of the Marvel run, and completely eclipsing Dreamwave.

A reboot can work when it's done right, and shows respect to the core product and the core audience. Trust us TF fans, IDW can do both of these competently.
While I have no idea what's planned for the Joe line, I see a reboot of some sort as inevitable. After all, sales are going to have to be there, and the amount of continuity involved from Marvel to DD is frightening for a new reader. Also, a reboot doesn't lessen the original stories, they're still there, they can still be enjoyed on their own strengths and merits. We TF fans still have our texts, our stories from series past that are irreplacable to us, but we still go along and enjoy the ride of the new IDW continuity, which is making its own future classics.
I know it's hard, but don't be scared of change. Sometimes, it can be a good thing.
Would you rather something comprehensible for new readers, or something so insular that only original 80's readers can understand it, and let the sales dwindle and the license get shelved for another 10-15 years?
Give whatever they're going to do a chance. You'll be better for it.
Proud Member Of The 'Resurrect Bumper' Club.

...A Club Of One.
KJ
Transforumer

Postby jamarmiller » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:38 am

I think using Transformers as an example is a very very bad idea

Transformers had many different continuities before IDW took it over . GI JOE has had ONE ( really ).

if IDW wants to do a reboot then they need to do a reboot and a classic ongoing as well. let the fans decide which to get

Im willing to bet right now the classic ongoing outsells the reboot, Just like it did everytime every other comic book company tried it

in any case if they offer at least ONE classic continuity comic Ill support all their joe titles, but if they completely scrap it then I wont be there for any of it.

I did it with Transformers and Ill do it with GI JOE. ( the last comic I read )

Keep the CONTINUITY IDW , we are finally at a place where we have a whole new exciting world of JOE without having to reboot the story back to square one and changing everything we have known
jamarmiller
Forum Zombie

Postby Phil Kost » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:37 am

Just to toss in a voice from a different perspective. There are many GI Joe fans that are open and in some ways looking forward to a reboot.

While I love the past 25 years of stories, it is time to clean up the past and get rid of a lot of the connections between characters that have been created over the years. (Oh..and bring back some characters that are no longer with us)
ANY and ALL GI Joe comics discussed at
Phil Kost
Forum Zombie

Postby jamarmiller » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:43 am

Phil Kost wrote:Just to toss in a voice from a different perspective. There are many GI Joe fans that are open and in some ways looking forward to a reboot.

While I love the past 25 years of stories, it is time to clean up the past and get rid of a lot of the connections between characters that have been created over the years. (Oh..and bring back some characters that are no longer with us)

Heres some questions that I know the answer too that IDW needs to think about:

Phil will you buy the book if they keep the continuity ? YES
Cashel will you buy the book if they keep the continuity ? YES
Jamar will you buy the book if they keep the continuity ? YES

Phil will you buy the book if they REBOOT ? YES
Cashel will you buy the book if they REBOOT? NO
Jamar will you buy the book if they REBOOT ? NO

Now while phil doesnt represent every reader/ fan who wants a reboot, he does represent MANY .

SO WHY Reboot? youd lose more readers than you would gain after about 6 months.

Its been tried many many times and failed

but like I said, do two ongoings, a classic and a reboot, and see which one sells better,

History has shown the classic one will do better, but let the fans decide
jamarmiller
Forum Zombie

Postby Phil Kost » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:23 am

jamarmiller wrote:Phil will you buy the book if they REBOOT ? YES
Cashel will you buy the book if they REBOOT? NO
Jamar will you buy the book if they REBOOT ? NO

Now while phil doesnt represent every reader/ fan who wants a reboot, he does represent MANY .

Phil then encourages people at his local comic book shop to pick up the GI Joe title knowing that it is accessible without 25 years of history and he gets two new people to read it.

We can play all these types of games that you want.

SO WHY Reboot? youd lose more readers than you would gain after about 6 months.

Do you have hard facts to prove that?

Its been tried many many times and failed

Not with GI Joe. It has been tried twice (GI Joe Extreme and GI Joe Reloaded). The first time the toys were a flop and didn't last much longer then the comic. The second time the book got canceled due to the main GI Joe title being restarted with a new #1.

but like I said, do two ongoings, a classic and a reboot, and see which one sells better,

History has shown the classic one will do better, but let the fans decide

And history has also shown that GI Joe fandom does not support two books on the stands at a time period. GI Joe Special Missions (Marvel) - Canceled, GI Joe Frontlines (DDP) - Canceled and both of those were set in the same continuity as the main book.

For every arguement you bring about no reboot, I can bring on that supports it. So, let us just end this by saying: there are some fans that want a reboot and some that don't. Period.
Last edited by Phil Kost on Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ANY and ALL GI Joe comics discussed at
Phil Kost
Forum Zombie

Postby jamarmiller » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:54 am

LOL The majority of people "if there not reading GI JOE now" they wont be in a 2 years. So what? you going to hang out people who has been with the title for 20 some years who pay for it and continue to pay for it ? for the average fan who wont be reading it in 2 years ? doesnt make sense and what be honest here Phil . YOU HAVENT BEEN ALREADY ENCOURAGING PEOPLE to read the main continuity ??? LOL . Come on your one of the biggest supporters out there , dont tell me you dont encourage people now to read it LOL.

But Ya we could play these games all night but its late here in Japan and like you said ------------For every arguement you bring about for reboot, I can bring on that supports NO reboot

BUT Again and this is the last I will say about this as my new years resolution was to pay less attention to the interent is -----I still say lets see which one outsells the other, your right the market doesnt really support two books thats my point PHIL

so again Have a classic and have a reboot, the one that people prefer will sell more and outlast the other. If classic continuity doesnt sell more ( ill be shocked if it doesnt ) then Im fine with letting it go, but we all know it wont. If a classic continuity is sold along a reboot, the classic one will outsell everytime.

You can say what you want about RELOADED, EXTREME, SIGMA SIX, ( Joe being rebooted 3 times here not 2 ) but those were infact reboots and they didnt work and it wasnt so much that they were bad stories, Reloaded was pretty good all things considered and sigma six was fun in a kids kind of way but It just wasnt what most fans wanted. You can try to say oh hey the sun wasnt shining this day or it was cloudy this day or I had a bad itch and couldnt drive and thats why it didnt do well or any other reason you like to come up with but like it or not its been tried 3 times and everytime a reboot comes up a failure.

But AGAIN Dont let me or Phil decide let sales decide. that will be the ultimate test.
jamarmiller
Forum Zombie

Postby vguzz2 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:26 am

coming from an avid transformer comic fan since 1984, I think the IDW reboot has been ok so far. Transformer's has had so many incarnations that a reboot every 2-3 years is expected, toy line and cartoon included...for the record I still Like Marvel's the best though Simon is doing a good job so far this time around.

G.I. Joe is a completely different animal.. There has been 1 comic continuity for 25 years and the history of that is what has kept me and many others on board.. Its an excellent continuity that changes with the times and you don't need to know every little detail to pick an issues up and start reading it..If there is a reboot after the WW3 story line on this award winning comic I am not on board.. Sorry I Just don't care enough to start over..

MY point any comparison between a Transformer and G. I. Joe reboot is like comparing apples and oranges.
vguzz2
Transforumer

Postby Denyer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:19 pm

jamarmiller wrote:Dont let me or Phil decide let sales decide. that will be the ultimate test.

Phil Kost wrote:history has also shown that GI Joe fandom does not support two books on the stands at a time period

It'd be a test of how well sales of one title one cannibalise those of another -- until the movie's out, which is the first point at which you can expect to attract a considerable number of new readers.

Personally as a publisher I'd opt for stories that can fit within existing continuity but primarily can be read as stand-alone material, then do a big movie push. At least a few story arcs set historically so that the most popular and well-known characters take centre stage, and have them ready for incoming new readers.
Denyer
Transforumer

Postby jamarmiller » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:11 pm

Denyer wrote:
jamarmiller wrote:Dont let me or Phil decide let sales decide. that will be the ultimate test.

Phil Kost wrote:history has also shown that GI Joe fandom does not support two books on the stands at a time period

It'd be a test of how well sales of one title one cannibalise those of another -- until the movie's out, which is the first point at which you can expect to attract a considerable number of new readers.

Sadly the sales on transformers showed this is not true, biggest NON sequel movie of the year, highest selling DVD of the year and sales stayed the same, unfortunetly.

Denyer wrote:
Personally as a publisher I'd opt for stories that can fit within existing continuity but primarily can be read as stand-alone material, ........................ ..............

This is definately the way they should go I think.

and whats Ironic is the current events in the GI JOE comic right now kind of sets up the movie scenario perfectly.

at the end of WW III ( current story going on ) GI JOE is made into an interntional force, GI JOE becomes G.I. J.O.E.. And have the same characters of the movie.

it wont /cant match the movie perfectly but the average reader that doesnt know joe that MIGHT actually start picking it up and reading wont know the difference and the old timers will follow it too
jamarmiller
Forum Zombie

Postby Denyer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:01 pm

jamarmiller wrote:Sadly the sales on transformers showed this is not true, biggest NON sequel movie of the year, highest selling DVD of the year and sales stayed the same, unfortunetly.

Don't listen or learn, do you?

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=133109

"2007 has seen IDW make major moves outside of the direct market. In January, Alan Payne joined IDW as our VP of Sales and he's done an incredible job of getting our books into bookstores. We, literally, shipped millions of copies of Transformers comic books and graphic novels in 2007. Because 95% of those books were sold outside of the direct market, that success goes unnoticed in the comics press because those sales don't end up on Diamond's monthly market share report or top 300."
Denyer
Transforumer

Postby DanielW » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:09 pm

There's a part of me, the snarky, snide side of me, suggests that a reboot is a good move, just to piss off the people who are getting on their soapboxes.
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby Straight-Edge » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:34 pm

DanielW wrote:There's a part of me, the snarky, snide side of me, suggests that a reboot is a good move, just to piss off the people who are getting on their soapboxes.

The spite factor kicks in a little with me, too. Far too many people putting the "Fantatic into Fan" instead of the other way around. I'm hoping once the license is officially announced, the more level headed Joe fans will start poking their shnozes in here. Sadly, it'll also bring in the nutcases without a doubt (yes, cashel and Jamar are fanatics, but they're still relatively sane. ;))

I just want GIJoe to be successful, and I'm smart enough to understand I don't know thing 1 about how to run a comic company. So I'm trusting IDW on this (assuming, again, that they *have* got the license).
Straight-Edge
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby KJ » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:00 pm

People's suggestions here are not being thought out, from a publishing point of view.
If, as a new company with the license, they put out new stories, 2 different books, one rebooted, one not, that's going to cause a lot of confusion in the marketplace, with people opting to stay away from both.
They need one book to establish their continuity, whatever it is, and then branch out with select reprints, etc.
And Transformers hasn't had many reboots, if we're talking G1. There was the cartoon, GIJOE had that. Both had long Marvel comics runs that ended. Transformers had Dreamwave for a while, which was a new continuity, that went bust. GIJOE continued the same continuity with DD, but they did try a new continuity (Reloaded) which failed miserably. The main title was then rebooted with a new number 1 and new mission directive, a whole new book, basically. IDW rebooted and re-invented Transformers, which is the stage that GIJOE is basically sitting at now.
Their histories have always been linked, and mirrored with publishing, even.

Hasbro likes what IDW has done with the Transformers brand. We know that. It's likely they'll want IDW to apply that same style of formula to GIJOE, that, while its different, its still instantly recognisable and familiar.
Proud Member Of The 'Resurrect Bumper' Club.

...A Club Of One.
KJ
Transforumer

Next

Return to IDW Projects