IDW Publishing announces STAR TREK: SECOND STAGE!

Trekkies, Trekkers, Trek-newbies, or just fans of "Free Enterprise," are all welcome here.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

IDW Publishing announces STAR TREK: SECOND STAGE!

Postby Andrew Steven Harris » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:29 am

IDW Publishing Rockets Into STAR TREK®: SECOND STAGE

For its sophomore Starfleet year, IDW launches titles by top Star Trek storytellers from comics, books and television

San Diego, CA (Dec. 27, 2007)—In its first year of Star Trek storytelling, IDW Publishing blasted off the launch pad with marquee titles like Star Trek: Year Four, the hit miniseries Klingons: Blood Will Tell and the fan-favorite Alien Spotlight one-shots.

Now, for its sophomore cycle, IDW will take its titles to the next level with STAR TREK: SECOND STAGE, an all-new publishing lineup showcasing some of the top Star Trek storytellers in comics, books and television. Among the creators: fan-favorite comic book writer and novelist Peter David, legendary comics artist John Byrne, IDW’s new rising stars Scott & David Tipton, and the grande dame of Star Trek writing, D.C. Fontana.

“We’re incredibly proud of the work that we produced in our first year of Star Trek publishing, and the quality of those titles has really allowed us to recruit some of the best Star Trek storytellers from across several different mediums,” says IDW Publisher and Editor-in-Chief Chris Ryall. “In the first year, we took the IDW starship on its shakedown cruise. For 2008, we’re taking the storytelling beyond the Final Frontier.”

“This will really be an epic year for Star Trek, and we want to make sure our books do justice to the scope of it all,” says IDW Star Trek editor Andrew Steven Harris, who together with Ryall conceived of and assembled the teams for SECOND STAGE. “We’re expanding our slate of titles to four issues a month, so that there’s a feeling of weekly appointment reading for our audience, like a Star Trek TV show. At the same time, we want each title to have the significance of a Star Trek film, so that each series is a seminal comics event. That’s the level that we’re shooting for with STAR TREK: SECOND STAGE.”

All SECOND STAGE series will debut with a specially-designed STAR TREK: SECOND STAGE logo. Titles launching in the opening months of SECOND STAGE include:

MARCH — STAR TREK: NEW FRONTIER®

New York Times Best-Selling novelist Peter David, author of the first Star Trek series designed exclusively for print, celebrates the 10th anniversary of the New Frontier saga with its first-ever comic book series. The five-part epic, debuting in March with artist Stephen Thompson (Beneath the Valley of Rage), features all-new stories and the official continuation of the runaway hit novels by Pocket Books.

In "Turnaround," the most dangerous experimental vessel in the galaxy—a prototype time ship—has vanished, and it appears that the man who stole it is none other than Starfleet Admiral Edward Jellico. Only Captain Mackenzie Calhoun and the crew of the Excalibur have a hope of finding him before the ship, intended purely for scientific exploration, is used to disrupt the space-time continuum.

To mark the launch of SECOND STAGE with New Frontier #1, IDW will debut its new Quad Cover(TM) format, with four separate covers bound directly onto the same issue.

APRIL — STAR TREK YEAR FOUR: THE ENTERPRISE EXPERIMENT

D.C. Fontana, who started her career as Gene Roddenberry’s assistant during the Original Series, went on to write some of Star Trek’s most memorable episodes, including ground-breaking episodes of that first series, as well as the pilot for Star Trek: The Next Generation®, and contributions to the Star Trek animated series and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine®. Now Fontana adds Star Trek comic books to her literary legacy, continuing IDW's successful Star Trek Year Four saga with co-writer Derek Chester (Star Trek: Legacy) and longtime Star Trek artist Gordon Purcell. Fan-favorite illustrators The Sharp Brothers will also contribute special covers for the five-part series, which debuts in April.

The Star Trek Year Four series has chronicled the untold fourth year of the U.S.S. Enterprise’s legendary five-year mission, depicted for just three seasons on the original Star Trek show. For The Enterprise Experiment, Fontana and Chester craft a sequel to Fontana’s celebrated Star Trek episode "The Enterprise Incident," in which Kirk famously posed as a Romulan to capture a new state-of-the-art cloaking device.

In this all-new story, Federation efforts to fully adapt the cloaking device to Starfleet ships leads to an experiment gone awry, trapping Kirk and Spock on an Enterprise out of phase with space itself. At the same time, Romulan forces close in on the starship, intent on claiming revenge for their stolen technology.

Later chapters in the series will provide a sequel to the first two issues, as the Klingon(TM) Empire — with its own agenda — suddenly enters the fray.

MAY — STAR TREK: ASSIGNMENT EARTH

Comics icon John Byrne provides a prequel to the SECOND STAGE titles with the February finale of IDW's Alien Spotlight series in an issue showcasing the Romulans, the writer/artist’s first-ever illustrated Star Trek story in a decades-spanning career. But in May, Byrne will unveil his first full-blown Star Trek comic series, the five-part, time-jumping Star Trek: Assignment Earth.

The original TV episode "Assignment Earth" had been the Season Two finale for the Star Trek series. It introduced the cryptic character Gary Seven and was intended by Gene Roddenberry as the pilot for a spin-off series that never came to pass. Now, however, Byrne will bring Roddenberry’s dream to life, delivering the spin-off 40 years after it would have debuted. The series tells the tale of the interstellar time traveler and his Earth-born assistant as they covertly confront threats to the past so that they can save Star Trek’s future.

Byrne will both write and draw the series, which steps one year forward with each installment, beginning with 1968, the year that the original "Assignment Earth" episode aired.

JUNE — STAR TREK: MIRROR IMAGES

The Mirror Universe remains one of the most popular themes in Star Trek canon, and IDW will travel through the looking glass with Star Trek: Mirror Images, written by IDW Editor-in-Chief Chris Ryall together with Scott & David Tipton, brothers have become the new breakout stars of Star Trek comics writing with hit series like Klingons: Blood Will Tell. The new four-part epic launches in June, teaming the brothers once again with Klingons artist David Messina.

In Mirror Images, Ryall and the Tiptons recount twin tales: the rise of the mirror James Kirk to the command of the ISS Enterprise as he plots to unseat Captain Christopher Pike, as well as the story of Enterprise crew members whose counterparts were not prominently featured in the original "Mirror, Mirror" episode — McCoy, Scotty and Uhura, who use their unique positions on the ship to advance their own ambitious agendas.

A second Mirror Images series, spotlighting The Next Generation crew, is slated for the second half of 2008, written by IDW Star Trek editor Andrew Steven Harris and screenwriter George Strayton (Xena, Dragonlance).

ABOUT IDW PUBLISHING

IDW PUBLISHING is a division of Idea and Design Works, LLC. Among its best-selling titles are Hasbro’s THE TRANSFORMERS; Paramount/CBS’s STAR TREK; Fox’s ANGEL; Konami’s METAL GEAR SOLID; and Peter David’s FALLEN ANGEL. IDW’s 30 DAYS OF NIGHT film from Sony Pictures was released in October 2007 and was the #1 movie in its first week of release.

ABOUT CBS CONSUMER PRODUCTS

CBS Consumer Products, a unit of CBS Entertainment, manages worldwide licensing and merchandising for a diverse slate of television brands and series from CBS, CBS Paramount Network Television and CBS Television Distribution, as well as from the company’s extensive library of titles. Additionally, the group oversees the CBS Retail Store and online sales of programming merchandise. For more information, visit www.CBS.com.

TM, ® & © 2007 CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved. STAR TREK and related marks are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc.
Andrew Steven Harris
Andrew Steven Harris
Comic Book Guy

Postby 8of5 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:24 am

All sounds good, I'm increasingly interested in the Fontana/Chester series, sounds like we're going to get some interesting stuff with cloaks and Romulan/Klingon politics. Nice.

The year by year jumps in the Assignment Earth series is a nice idea. I hope you'll take note of the legacy of earlier Trek comics which have several times used Seven and the people he works for, the Aegis.

Tiptons/MU/Pike series can only be fantastic, doubly so as according to Keith R.A. DeCandido you've been working with Pocket Books to keep it consistent with all the work they've been doing in the mirror universe lately.

All in all, should be good, my only concern is four comics a month is rather a lot! And I hope you get better at keeping them on schedule so they actually do come weekly.

Will you be taking questions? I'd like to know, is "Turnaround" the title of the New Frontier miniseries, or just the first issue, and therefore was the title of "Slingshot" announced in solicitations erroneous? And how will this quad cover thing work? Is this the end of many editions of each issue with different covers? Does every cover come on ever issue from now on?
Numerically challenged drone
8of5's Star Trek blog -- Updated October 14.
8of5
Forum Zombie

Postby GustavoLeao » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:23 am

Congratulations on the launch of SECOND STAGE, Andrew. With mega talents like John Byrne, Peter David and DC Fontana, I am sure it will be very successfull, peharps the biggest hit in the Star Trek comics history. Never such an ambitious project like this was developed for Star Trek comics. I dont remember Marvel or DC doing something like that.

Happy New Year to you, all the IDW team and the fellow fans from this board.

Gustavo Leao
TrekWeb Editor
gl2000@uol.com.br
Last edited by GustavoLeao on Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
GustavoLeao
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Denyer » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:15 am

8of5 wrote:how will this quad cover thing work? Is this the end of many editions of each issue with different covers? Does every cover come on ever issue from now on?

I'd guess it's an optional thing, possibly at a fractional markup, whereby collectors who aren't into hunting or having multiple copies of each issue can get all of the art associated with each in a tidy package.

Something I'd have gone for on a few of the TF books, though the cover galleries have been a good alternative.
Denyer
Transforumer

Postby Samy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:58 pm

I've been drooling for more Byrne...

...and he's relegated to doing GARY SEVEN instead of Star Trek?

*Christ*...biggest disappointment all year... :( :( :(

Looking forward to Mirror Riker though!!
Samy
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Ro-Dan » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:27 pm

Count me in enthusiastically for INTELLIGENCE GATHERING, THE ENTERPRISE EXPERIMENT, and MIRROR IMAGES. And I'd also like to extend a thank you to IDW for a job well done in 2007. I'm sure 2008 will be even better!
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby DanielW » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:22 am

Now, about this bizarre Who/Trek fan theory that Gary Seven works for the Time Lords (daffy one I know. But Gallifrey and Kasterborous exist in one iteration of the Trek universe (the books)).
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby Liebkraft » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:59 am

What are these 'Mirror Images'? (did I miss something?)

Accourding to the Eugenics Wars (the novels from Greg Cox) and (he got his idea from there) a Star Trek Comic, Gary Seven works for a species called 'the Aegis'- There isn't much information about them and sadly I don't know enough about Dr. Who to draw any connections.

What is know about them ist that they try to help civilisations to overcome their problems and sometimes to literally keep them alive. The do this by sending their agents who make use of their technology like beaming devices and so an. These agents, or better their ancestors, are coming from plantes all over the galaxy and are, like Khan, genetically engineered.
'Play with friends, be a Hero!'
www.halle-der-helden.at (we do RPG)
Liebkraft
Forum Zombie

Postby DanielW » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:49 pm

Aegis just means "cover" if memory serves.
DanielW
Transforumer

Postby Ryall » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:07 am

Samy wrote:...

I've been drooling for more Byrne...

...and he's relegated to doing GARY SEVEN instead of Star Trek?

*Christ*...biggest disappointment all year... :( :( :(

Looking forward to Mirror Riker though!!

"Relegated"? Oh, no, not at all--this idea is all John's, and it's a lot of fun. This is what he wanted to do. I'm all for doing interesting new things with the books, especially with creators of John's caliber involved. And if you want John playing in the Trek universe proper, I think you'll like his Romulans issue in February quite a bit.
Chris Ryall
Chief Creative Officer/Editor-in-Chief
IDW Publishing
Ryall
Transforumer

Postby Ro-Dan » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:45 am

Samy wrote:Looking forward to Mirror Riker though!!
Would he be beardless, ya think? :wink:
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby Liebkraft » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:16 am

Yep, you're right concerning the 'Aegis', it isn't supposed to be the actual name of this race but more some kind of organisation or something like that the agents work for, even Gary Seven sees them a bit in a way as his 'gods' (but not that drastic). I think the authors just wanted to leave this thing open, maybe the upcoming mini-series will shed some light at the masters of Gary Seven.

By the way: 'Mirror Images', just got it, should've read the things above better :oops:
'Play with friends, be a Hero!'
www.halle-der-helden.at (we do RPG)
Liebkraft
Forum Zombie

Postby Andrew Steven Harris » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:21 am

Ro-Dan wrote:
Samy wrote:Looking forward to Mirror Riker though!!
Would he be beardless, ya think? :wink:

The Question of Riker's mirror beard is actually more complicated than you might imagine. In the Pocket Books, Riker was killed back on Betazed by Troi for his constant infidelity. (Since she can read emotions, she knew he wasn't being faithful.) But that happened much earlier on, before he had actually grown the beard in our universe. Which means that--following the Spock Protocols--he would have had the beard on Betazed, only to shave it several years later, had he survived.

Which works out just fine, since that means Mirror Riker could have had one of those awesome Spock-like goatees, rather than the Kenny Loggins Special that he grew on the TV show.
Andrew Steven Harris
Andrew Steven Harris
Comic Book Guy

Postby Ro-Dan » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:33 am

^Dang! Beard, goatte, or no beard...I'm sure it's gonna be a good read. 8)
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby Samy » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:49 am

Ryall wrote:"Relegated"? Oh, no, not at all--this idea is all John's, and it's a lot of fun. This is what he wanted to do. I'm all for doing interesting new things with the books, especially with creators of John's caliber involved. And if you want John playing in the Trek universe proper, I think you'll like his Romulans issue in February quite a bit.
I think I will love the Romulans issue.

If the Gary Seven is what Byrne wants to do, then I can hardly argue with that...

...but I will definitely hope he'll get on board something interesting soon.

Byrne is great, but I'm not so desperate I'll take anything. ;)

As for the Mirror TNG series, I would love if I could get just this one little question answered:

Will the Mirror TNG series tie more closely to the Mirror TOS series preceding it, or to other non-mirror TNG series? Or completely standalone? Which direction does it tie in *more*, or no direction at all?
Samy
I'm kind of a big deal

Return to Star Trek