ALIEN SPOTLIGHT: ORIONS review from SBC

Trekkies, Trekkers, Trek-newbies, or just fans of "Free Enterprise," are all welcome here.

Moderators: Ryall, Bobby Curnow, Mariah

Postby Liebkraft » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:27 am

Yeah, I know this particular Story from the Early Voyages, definitely one of the best also because of the very fitting 'mixture' of crews both EV and TOS, hopte to see something like that in 'Myriad Universes' and 'Probability Factor'
'Play with friends, be a Hero!'
www.halle-der-helden.at (we do RPG)
Liebkraft
Forum Zombie

Postby Ro-Dan » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:32 pm

ORIONS was pretty solid. However, I was hoping for more Orions instead of just one slave girl. Anyway, it's always a joy to read a new Captain Pike story.

IDW, are there any plans to do a Pike story involving his accident/tragedy with the Delta rays?
Ro-Dan
Transforumer

Postby GustavoLeao » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:21 pm

As the biggest fan of THE CAGE, I really want more Captain Pike stories - cant wait for the mirror Pike story next year.

Gustavo Leao
TrekWeb Editor
gl2000@uol.com.br
GustavoLeao
I'm kind of a big deal

Postby Liebkraft » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:57 am

I think that's a bit of a problem with the 'Alien Spotlight'-Series. When I herad of them for the first time I imagined them to be something like 'Blood will tell', meaning that all the stories are told from the point of view of the 'Aliens'. This kind of worked very good in the Gorn-issue, but from the Vulcan I've expected somewhat more and now hope that the upcoming like Andorian or Borg are back at this track
'Play with friends, be a Hero!'
www.halle-der-helden.at (we do RPG)
Liebkraft
Forum Zombie

Postby Aric » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:48 pm

Amazing art. Solid, enjoyable story allthough I do agree that it isn't Oriony enough (not to be confused with oniony). But that's part of story telling, you tell the story that inspires you. That's like the Shockwave Spotlight spent as much time on the Dinobots as Shocks. This is a good story that features an Orion so I'm happy.
Aric
Transforumer

Postby Samy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:19 am

Art: C+. Some nice Dodsonesque faces, and perfectly serviceable, but eh.

Story: D. This wasn't really anything that couldn't have been told with a human girl. It was the exact same kind of a vendetta that a human girl could get into for her sister (didn't the Sin City movie have a story like this?), and that kind of weakens the entire concept of "Alien Spotlight" -- what's the point, if they're going to behave exactly the same as humans? What's more, this is just the story of *one* particular Orion Slave Girl -- we get no idea whatsoever what their culture is like, if everybody of their race is a prostitute, what do the males of their race look like, and so on and so on, which is the kind of stuff I'd expect out of an Orion Spotlight. A lot of space wasted on Pike that could've (and perhaps, to fulfill the title of the book, *should've*) been used to flesh out the Orion culture. The strong point here was the pacing, I think the pacing was really good. But as an Orion book, it fails.
Samy
I'm kind of a big deal

Previous

Return to Star Trek